Insight : JDM early sales report
Date: March 10, 2009 06:23
Honda JP PR (freely translated by TOV)
As usual, here is the early days selling figures for the Insight in the Japanese market.
Since its introduction on Feb 6th.
- Total orders (1 full month) : 18000, more than 3 times the monthly target of 5000 units (60k/year).
- Total deliveries in (in Feb) : 4906, making it the 10th best selling car for the month, and the best selling hybrid for that period.
Main selling points.
- Excellent fuel economy.
- Good utility.
- Identifiable "hybrid" car.
- A competitive price-tag that redefines the hybrid segment.
Typical buyer (never seen a list this long, it seems that the appeal is really wide).
- Families with parents in the 40-50's.
- Singles in the 30's.
- Married couples in their 20-30's with no kids.
without any particular distinction between man, woman, or social status.
- Honda (50%)
- Other brands (50%)
Orders by grade (from cheapest to most expensive)
- G (from 1.890 Myen) : 40%
- L (from 2.050 Myen) : 40%
- LS (from 2.210 Myen) : 20%
Most popular manufacturer options:
- HID's : 76%
- HDD Navy (including rear-view camera) : 70%
- Honda Smart key (keyless entry/start) : 30%
Most popular colours:
- White : 27%
- Silver (light gray): 22%
- Polished metal (dark gray) : 21%
- Black : 12%
- Blue : 7%
- Violet : 6%
- Red : 5%
Edit note :
For sure early sales of any Japanese model in Japan are always pretty strong when it's new and fade afterwards. That said, not many Honda's have recently registered 3 times more orders than the target sales number on its first month.
It seems that the market introduction has been pretty good, and that the hype is building positively for Honda in their home land.
It remains to be seen though if they can keep it up in the long term, specially after the new Prius launches this fall.