Torrance, Calif. 01/04/2005 --
Record December and full-year results for
both its Honda and Acura Divisions pushed American Honda to a new all-time record
year in 2004 with sales up 3.0 percent to 1,394,398 passenger cars and light
trucks, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. announced today. The results mark the
company's 11th consecutive year of sales increases. American Honda December
sales of 137,381 jumped 30.1 percent over year ago results to a set a new record
for the month, while light truck sales rose to a new single-month record of
57,762 SUVs and minivans.
2004 American Honda sales highlights:
- All-time record American Honda total sales of 1,394,398 (up 3.0 percent)
- 11th consecutive annual sales increase
- All-time record light truck sales of 551,109 (up 3.7 percent)
- 12th consecutive year of record light truck sales
- Record single-month light truck sales of 57,762 (up 27.5 percent)
"It was one heck of a competitive year for the industry as a whole, but
we are feeling pretty good about the outcome for Honda and Acura," said
Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "The
competition is not about to let up, but with Acura on a roll and great new products
like the Honda Ridgeline and an all-new Civic coming down the pipe, we think
2005 will be another strong year for us."
Honda Division posted new all-time records for December and for the full year
on the strength of record December results for Accord, Civic, Pilot, CR-V and
the all-new Odyssey. Honda Division sales in 2004 were up 1.1 percent to 1,195,479
cars and light trucks, while December results rose 31.1 percent to 117,235.
It marked the Honda Division's 11th consecutive year of sales increases.
With Civic Hybrid sales up 17.5 percent to 25,571 for the calendar year and
the addition of the all-new Accord Hybrid late in the year, sales of Honda hybrid
vehicles rose 18.6 percent to a new record of 27,215 vehicles for the year.
December sales of Honda's three hybrid models jumped up 97.2 percent to
3,167 units, bringing total Honda hybrid sales to 74,608 since the introduction
of the Insight in December 1999.
2004 Honda Division sales highlights:
- All-time record Honda Division sales of 1,195,479 (up 1.1 percent)
- 11th consecutive annual sales increases
- Third consecutive year of record light truck sales at 491,604 (up 3.7 percent)
- Record full-year sales of Pilot, CR-V, Odyssey and FCX
- Record single-month sales of Pilot and CR-V
The Acura Division posted its best ever month in December on its way to a new
all-time record result for the full calendar year, including record full-year
sales records for both passenger cars and light trucks along with individual
records for the TSX sports sedan and MDX sport-utility vehicle. Acura Division
sales in 2004 rose 16.0 percent over last year's record to 198,919 cars
and SUVs. Record December sales of TSX, TL, MDX and the all-new RL pushed Acura
to new December record of 20,146 vehicles, up 24.9 percent over the previous
December, making it the best month Acura's 14-year history. With sales
up 36.8 percent to 77,895, the Acura TL became America's best-selling
luxury sedan in 2004.
Acura Division 2004 Sales Highlights:
- All-time record Acura Division total sales of 198,919
- All-time record full-year light truck sales of 59,153
- All-time record full-year sales of TSX and MDX
- All-time best month of 20,146 Acura cars and SUVs
- Record December results for TL, RL, TSX and MDX