[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Genesis G70 - Everyday Reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Want to stop faster than a Tesla Model 3? Get an F-150
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Website Announcements & Feedback > > Re: TOV Forum Rules

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
IvoG
Profile for IvoG
TOV Forum Rules    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2002 17:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I was wondering where the rules for these forums are stated.
I find that lately what used to be a very usefull source of information exchange and purposefull debate has turned into one flame war fest after the other.
Where are the moderators when you need them?
I for one think that every user that steps out of the boundaries set by the rules should be banned from the forum, or better yet, be ignored. That way the enthusiasts can try and share with each other without some individuals spoiling everything for them.

My 2 cents, hope something is done with it.

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: TOV Forum Rules    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2002 20:03
IvoG -

We do not have a set of published "rules". We generally rely on people being mature enough to moderate themselves, and often times, that is the case. Read any other message board on the 'Net and I think you will see a big difference between the TOV user base and others. Sometimes "a few bad apples spoil the bunch". Generally, a few ill comments get tossed around within a thread, but generally, there is a good information base. If things get out of hand, moderators step in if they are not already participating. We do have real jobs, so can't sit here 24/7 reading each post that is made. If something slips through our fingers, it's probably that we just didn't see it and it should be brought to our attention in this forum.

If you're speaking about the debate in this forum between Tony and Spencer, well, that's basically over. And since it's the Feedback forum, as long as it doesn't get gruelingly personal, I really don't care. But, that thread will be locked soon enough anyway... It would not be allowed to continue in any other forum.

We have had instances in the past where users have been banned and/or put on probation and that usually clears things up pretty quickly. I haven't seen any instances requiring such an action lately, and I've had my eye on a few users.

Ryan

gilbert
Profile for gilbert
Re: TOV Forum Rules    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2002 20:13
From Jeff in a post a few months ago:

Allow me to explain some of our longstanding (yet unwritten) rules of the vtec.net message boards.

1. You are free to express your opinion on any topic relevant to the discussion forum.
2. You are free to praise or criticize any automobile you want, including Hondas and Acuras
3. Personal attacks/insults/flaming to the degree you have taken them in your "discussion" with Tony Esporma are absolutely NOT acceptable. Especially when there is an utter lack of topical content in the post. Obviously you are free to e-mail him and carry on your side discussion offline, but we don't want to see it on our site.
4. Feel free to disagree with whomever you like, but messages referencing (in a negative fashion) another person's economic status, level of education, job title/profession, race, religion, gender, etc... are considered irrelevant and unacceptable.

In general, if we see posts in violation of any of our policies, we will try to tone down the conversation by issuing a public warning (so other people will hopefully learn by example). Additional posts in violation of our policies *following* our initial warnings WILL be deleted immediately and/or the entire thread will be closed. Continued abuse may result in a ban.

We have issued several warnings, yet you have chosen to continue with the bullshit. As far as I can tell, Tony has complied with our warnings. By deleting your posts our intent is not to "censor" you (notice we have not deleted any of your posts with "real" content), but rather to keep the BULLSHIT off of our forums. We have never tolerated this sort of stuff in the past nor will it be tolerated in the future.

You are free to continue participation on our site provided you are able to comply with our policies.

I looked through Tony's post and didn't really see any "off-topic rant" to speak of. Unless I'm looking at the wrong post.

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=10330

I agree that we should post the rules in an obvious place. I'll bring it up with Jeff when he gets back from SEMA.

We have a way of completely banning a person from vtec.net. We used this once (not on the person in the link above). However, the person apologized and we allowed him back on the site. Once someone is banned, they CANNOT access ANY part of the site. The server just drops the connection for that user or the IP addresses they have used in the past. We don't like to ban people because everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, if a user is just disrespectful to the other members of the site, we will not hesitate to ban that user.

I believe I will be coding a slashdot like moderation system over my winter break. vtec.net has gotten to the point where the noise floor has increased to a point where the useful posts are getting hidden. Look for some changes in the next two months...

Gilbert

Tuan
Profile for Tuan
Re: TOV Forum Rules    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2002 20:36
IvoG, I can really sympathize with you. We went to a fully database driven site which allowed us to make things look better and update it more easily. The new forums is much more easier to use than the older forums. The new site is just generally a better place to visit now than the previous site. This has caused our readership to skyrocket which is a good thing really. However, with any given jump in membership, you get a broad spectrum of people. Many are genuine car enthusiast who like to share their knowledge and opinions of cars like we do. And then you have the very few bad apples. Like Gilbert said, we're already looking into a moderation system where you won't even be exposed to bad threads anymore. Please bear with us through this growing pain we're having.

Thanks for your continued support.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
A premium TOV service?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2002 10:48
OK, I know that TOV has been free, but like thestreet.com which starter out free and then branched out with realmoney.com....

How about starting a premium subscription page? I wouldn't mind paying -I'm a charter subscriber to realmoney.com- for a service that provides a value added.

And for one thing, on premium services, you don't get all of that riff raff coming in from the blue and starting to bad mouth everything in sight.

Plus, TOV could buy some nice new machines, get a faster POP and perhaps even fly business class for a change.

Hey, I could be your University of Civics and Integras (UCI) on the field correspondent... like Geraldo :-P But with the economy as it is, heck, why not try something different?

But seriously, both thestreet.com and TOV were pioneers... TSC has moved on to make money.... I think it's time that TOV look into it.

Regards
Tuan wrote:
IvoG, I can really sympathize with you. We went to a fully database driven site which allowed us to make things look better and update it more easily. The new forums is much more easier to use than the older forums. The new site is just generally a better place to visit now than the previous site. This has caused our readership to skyrocket which is a good thing really. However, with any given jump in membership, you get a broad spectrum of people. Many are genuine car enthusiast who like to share their knowledge and opinions of cars like we do. And then you have the very few bad apples. Like Gilbert said, we're already looking into a moderation system where you won't even be exposed to bad threads anymore. Please bear with us through this growing pain we're having.

Thanks for your continued support.

IvoG
Profile for IvoG
Re: TOV Forum Rules    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2002 16:10
Ryan, Gilbert, Tuan, and Tony:

Thanks for taking my comments to heart.
I guess that my view of the forum got a bit soured recently when a question I posted in the Strictly Technical forum turned into a flame war with posters even attacking Shawn (notyper?), who himself is a moderator if I'm not mistaken.

In the end, I got almost no sensible answers, and only kept seeing more of like posts elsewhere on the forum.

I hope that things will change soon for this forum, either technically or moderation wise. Keep up the enthusiasm and the good work, and I for one will support you in any way I can.

Ivo Grijt

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0