[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
More.......................
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Sachsenring TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> New H70 pumps freezing
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Car recommendation for cheap track fun?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Acclaimed 2018 Accords sit on the lot
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Celaya Plant Flooding and Recovery
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> '18 HAH vs '17 HAH
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: ROAD TRIP... SOB Oregon cops
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports Best Ever April Sales > > Re: Article to read

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

blue99si
Profile for blue99si
Article to read [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2005 20:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/honda30e_20050330.htm

Considering Acura and Honda's success I found this article interesting. It sounds like Honda realizes it has a problem from this article dated March 30th 2005.

I can't wait for the refreshed products. The refreshed Accord is tops on my list of can't wait to see products. Thoughts on this article?

HondaChuck
Profile for HondaChuck
Re: Article to read [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2005 20:36
The doom and gloom of that article doesn't seem to be supported by the information just released. The numbers don't match up at all. Overall, Honda has increased market share and Honda sales are up 4% from last year. That is exactly the opposite of what the article said (decreasing market share and sales down).
I do think Honda needs to address the Civic and the Accord (and it seems they plan to this fall). However, as a company, they seem to be on the right course as they have plently of desireable products for customers to migrate to. For example, as people trade in their Civics for a CRV or an Accord for a Pilot you will see the numbers ebb and flow for different models. However, Honda appears to be attracting more customers than it is losing with its full model line.

blue99si
Profile for blue99si
Re: Article to read [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2005 21:24
What I found interesting was the comparison overall between 2005 and 2004. Accord, Civic, S2000 and Element are all down when comparing the thru April 04 vs. thru April 05.....I thought it was interesting that there was a concession that the conservative styling was one of the reasons for the downturn in the Accord....So Honda makes over the Accord Front and Back. They also mentioned that the younger generation had exited the Civic Model due to the change in suspension. Yet the new Civic is supposed to have struts......I wonder what Honda has in store for the Element for 06?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Article to read [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2005 21:55
That's a rather old article by now. And the claim that kids left the Civic because it went to a strut front suspension is bogus. After all, even the BMWs have strut front suspension... I think only the genius at the likes of C&D even noticed that.

Naw, the Civic Si image got hurt because insurance companies finally caught up with the Si and raised the cost. And the motor is not as powerful as it could be... but, the damn thing is still selling over 250K or more per year... almost 300, eh? I mean, the majority of people tend to like it as it is... and really it's not bland, it's a neat little car that will last for years, has enough power, good handling, is reliable, cruises at 75mph nicely, has good brakes and will return a big chunk at resale time.

After all, all of those kiddies like to rip into their brand new cars as soon as they get them and the hell with resale or reliability.. Yes, they're LOUD, yes they make a lot of NOISE, but are they really the driving force behind the Civic?

Hmm.. my wife subscribes to some of them Ladies Home and Fashion magazines. The Civic EX is shown there. Do you think these fine ladies give a hoot about a strut front suspension or DOHC VTEC? Hell no! They just want a nice little car that won't kill their budget when they go to Macy's to shop.

Many of them are married and perhaps their families need a second or third car. "Look Honey... I know you got the MuchoMachoMobile GT300ixT, and you got us the Brontosaurus Eddie Bauer LE to take the kids, but gee... I just need a small four door to commute to work and gas prices are sooo high!"

Hell, GM is happy because their brand new G6 with incentives might sell 125K in its first year!

Let's get real.

The market for a 200bhp/MT6/LSD Civic Si/CTR is very small and the kiddies won't be able to afford the insurance.

The market for a nice 145bhp/AT5 Civic Sedan EX with four wheel disc brakes with ABS and side air bags is huge.

And the people who could afford an US CTR might just go buy an S2k when they see the insurance.

I know I'm considering that move... I mean, the insurance on my Si is absurd, even though I'm an outstanding member of my community. :-)

blue99si wrote:

Considering Acura and Honda's success I found this article interesting. It sounds like Honda realizes it has a problem from this article dated March 30th 2005.

I can't wait for the refreshed products. The refreshed Accord is tops on my list of can't wait to see products. Thoughts on this article?

anime_man24
Profile for anime_man24
Re: Article to read [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2005 05:33
TonyE wrote:
That's a rather old article by now. And the claim that kids left the Civic because it went to a strut front suspension is bogus. After all, even the BMWs have strut front suspension... I think only the genius at the likes of C&D even noticed that.

Naw, the Civic Si image got hurt because insurance companies finally caught up with the Si and raised the cost. And the motor is not as powerful as it could be... but, the damn thing is still selling over 250K or more per year... almost 300, eh? I mean, the majority of people tend to like it as it is... and really it's not bland, it's a neat little car that will last for years, has enough power, good handling, is reliable, cruises at 75mph nicely, has good brakes and will return a big chunk at resale time.

After all, all of those kiddies like to rip into their brand new cars as soon as they get them and the hell with resale or reliability.. Yes, they're LOUD, yes they make a lot of NOISE, but are they really the driving force behind the Civic?

Hmm.. my wife subscribes to some of them Ladies Home and Fashion magazines. The Civic EX is shown there. Do you think these fine ladies give a hoot about a strut front suspension or DOHC VTEC? Hell no! They just want a nice little car that won't kill their budget when they go to Macy's to shop.

Many of them are married and perhaps their families need a second or third car. "Look Honey... I know you got the MuchoMachoMobile GT300ixT, and you got us the Brontosaurus Eddie Bauer LE to take the kids, but gee... I just need a small four door to commute to work and gas prices are sooo high!"

Hell, GM is happy because their brand new G6 with incentives might sell 125K in its first year!

Let's get real.

The market for a 200bhp/MT6/LSD Civic Si/CTR is very small and the kiddies won't be able to afford the insurance.

The market for a nice 145bhp/AT5 Civic Sedan EX with four wheel disc brakes with ABS and side air bags is huge.

And the people who could afford an US CTR might just go buy an S2k when they see the insurance.

I know I'm considering that move... I mean, the insurance on my Si is absurd, even though I'm an outstanding member of my community. :-)

blue99si wrote:

Umm ... the thing about Honda enthusiasts is that they spread the word about Honda's new lineups quick. Once a real enthusiast (someone who knows what they're talking about) hear's about a macpherison strut front civic, they'll tell all their friends about how primative the design is. We all know the only reason honda decided to revert back to this design is to save weight and improve interior space (and minimize wasted space under the hood). A full double wishbone car can outhandle a macpherison strut setup car anyday. And the kids know this ... because I'm one of those kids ... and I'm not a big fan of the 7th gen civic. Also, the 7th gen civic isn't as "sporty" looking as the EG and EK civics. It's very bland toyota-ish styling. Sure the features are very unique and quite good I think, but new Toyota's also have their own neat features (doors that can't be picked because it uses a cable for the door handle mechanism instead of a bar, etc.) as well.

BMW's use macpherison strut ... but it's also RWD. Honda macpherison strut front civic is FWD ... it's a totally different league.

Type R-Positive
Profile for Type R-Positive
Re: Article to read [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2005 07:34
That (and some other, less logical, reasons) was why I ended up in a Mazda3 5-door. Somehow, the addition of 2 doors made a difference. And, frankly, although I really liked the Si 3hb interior, I found that it was just too antiseptic an exterior (the quote at launch about the wheels being irrelevant because most buyers would end up replacing them should be posted on the wall at HQ and R&D...)

Of course, I've got a company car now so, if anybody wants a Mazda3 5dr, let me know ;).

Cordv6
Profile for Cordv6
Re: Article to read [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2005 17:55
BMW's strut suspension is setup differently from others, in part due to a small crescent shaped component in all four corners I believe. (I heard this from a very knowledgeable friend who knows BMW inside out) Though he does say BMW uses that setup to save costs. Regardless of strut or not, BMWs are known for superb suspension tuning.

Also it should be noted that:
Pontiac G6 comes only in V6 sedan format, so to see them selling 125k a year is no mean feat actually, even with incentives.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Article to read [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2005 22:40
True.. but GM needs a big hit and 125K G6s per year in its first year is a lousy return on investment.

Oh, wait! What investment? Huh... AT4, 200bhp old motor... nevermind! GM could make money on a 40K a year run rate because it's engineering recurring expenses must have been minimal!

Oh yes... a strut suspension can be fine... the amin thing that it might hamper is the ability to slam the car five inches.... but other than the ricers, who in hell want to drive a Civic that can barely clear the speed bumps?

Cordv6 wrote:
BMW's strut suspension is setup differently from others, in part due to a small crescent shaped component in all four corners I believe. (I heard this from a very knowledgeable friend who knows BMW inside out) Though he does say BMW uses that setup to save costs. Regardless of strut or not, BMWs are known for superb suspension tuning.

Also it should be noted that:
Pontiac G6 comes only in V6 sedan format, so to see them selling 125k a year is no mean feat actually, even with incentives.

Cordv6
Profile for Cordv6
Re: Article to read [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2005 00:40
w.r.t Pontiac, I'd say GM willl see better ROI once they roll out all the models next year. GM should have put the 5AT they sell to others (including BMW). That's a superb tranny IMO.. (I have both Honda 5AT and GM 5AT in my two cars right now)

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0