[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Driveô
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author
  Post New Thread
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 06:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Winter weary F1 fans all over the world have been waiting for what seems like an eternity for the season to begin. 2019 marks the introduction of new aerodynamics rules with the aim of improving the ability of cars to follow one another, a point being awarded for fastest race lap, and a new tire naming scheme from Pirelli. 2019 also ushers in an exciting and high-profile partnership between Red Bull Racing and Honda. Other changes include Sauber officially becoming Alfa Romeo, Force India becoming Racing Point, and Haas picking up a new title sponsor in Rich Energy. There were also some big moves among the drivers with Daniel Ricciardo leaving Red Bull for Renault and Kimi Raikonnen moving from Ferrari to Alfa Romeo (among other moves). The wait is almost over. The 2019 Formula 1 season begins this weekend in Melbourne!

For both Red Bull teams optimism abounds as Honda seems to have made genuine progress over the winter and delivered both Toro Rosso and Red Bull overwhelmingly positive performances in pre-season testing. With the midfield battle being tighter than ever, look for Toro Rosso to be knocking on the door of a points finish. Red Bull are a bit more confident having accelerated a car update scheduled for China to be delivered this weekend in a bid to maximize their potential. Still, for a first-time outing we should expect high points paying positions with a podium being a possibility.

Elsewhere on the grid, Mercedes and Ferrari again took opposite approaches to pre-season testing with the former remaining low key and the latter showing the world a preview of what its 2019 contender is capable of. This time it looks like Ferrariís performance advantage is genuine as Mercedes is racing a revised engine architecture for the first time. The next battle we should expect to see is between Haas and Renault with the former perhaps having a slight advantage owed to its Ferrari power unit. From there we can expect a hard battle between McLaren and Alfa Romeo. If it doesnít happen in Melbourne, we should expect Racing Point to quickly find their footing and improve over what we saw in pre-season testing. Unfortunately for Williams, they look to be relegated to the back of the grid, perhaps for the whole of 2019.

For more including TV times, stats, and video click over to TOV-M!
https://motorsports.vtec.net/blog/237/f1-2019-australian-grand-prix/

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 08:46
Bring on AUS!!! I'm optimistic the China upgrades RBR are bringing forward will push them closer to the podium. Just a few more days!
tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 08:53
Thank you Gofast. Timings suck for practice sessions in the UK. First practice is 1am ... but Iíll have to watch it Iím too keen to see how things transpire. At least Sadlerau will be happy !!
All the team PR bull ends and we get to see for real where the pecking order really is

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 09:16
PU wise I think at a minimum they are picking up where they left off last year with Renault, perhaps a touch better depending on the gains of others. Newey seems genuinely confident the chassis is better. Where does that leave them? To start, probably where they they ended last year. I'd see that as a good thing because it does mean that Honda will be fighting at the front and able to win in some cases. With how hard everyone is working and what seem to be positive attitudes I'd like to see them directly challenging Merc. and Ferrari after the summer break.

It does seem GAS was promoted a year earlier than would've been ideal but he has a good head on his shoulders, just not all of the experience RBR would've liked. VER seems to be settling down enough to keep his eye on the goal while still being interesting to watch.

On the STR side I'm forced to cheer for a driver I never cared for: KVY. For Honda's sake I hope he does well. It will be interesting to see how ALB develops.

Being a Haas fan I'm really looking forward to them doing well. I have a feeling the usual pattern will emerge with them starting strong but being out-developed as the season goes on. That trend could be bucked this year with the infusion of more prize money and a new title sponsor. Of the two drivers I'd like to see MAG leading the way but GRO is very fast when he's under control.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 09:26
Also, the requested tire info is up on TOV-M as I was able to grab both Pirelli infographics.

And a question for you guys: I'm not sure how much my little analysis blurbs are looked at versus this just being a common place to discuss what many of you already know about. To the extent they are looked at I always broke out our Honda-powered team in a separate paragraph and then omitted it from the "elsewhere on the grid" section. Since we now have two (2) Honda-powered teams should I combine them like I did here or write separate analyses for each? Also with two teams now "missing" from the "elsewhere on the grid" section is it confusing? Thanks in advance for the feedback, the goal is to keep the coverage relevant.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 09:36
Dren wrote:
Bring on AUS!!! I'm optimistic the China upgrades RBR are bringing forward will push them closer to the podium. Just a few more days!

Did anyone hear whether they have spares or is there only one set of this upgrade to last the whole weekend?

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 10:19
I haven't read anything on how many spares Red Bull have, but there is a rumour that Williams may not have enough parts to finish off 2 cars! Very very sad if true, but finances are tight because Stroll is dragging his feet on the payout for his son's breaking his contract, and Kubica's money hasn't arrived as promised yet?

Yes I'm a happy little camper tom3690, while I'm not there at the track I will be ducking away from work to watch the practice sessions live on satellite TV. :)

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 11:52
Accelerated chassis upgrades, accelerated fuel upgrades. No wonder there's a lot of confidence. Red Bull Honda are certainly putting everything they've got into this.

Exxon on Honda: "We have gone through upgrades during the winter, even though we never got to race them, because we got so much data back and so much information back."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-helped-fast-track-fuel-upgrades/4351720/

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 14:55
To all outward appearances Honda, Red Bull, and their partners are more motivated and working harder than everyone else which is really nice to see. Hopefully it pays off this weekend.

Switching to BP/Castrol in 2017 was another thing McLaren did that didn't help Honda.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 22:24
Just read that Charlie Whiting has passed away. Very sad news:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.fia-f1-race-director-charlie-whiting-passes-away.3Su01LCNwgrPic2Ex8FBQP.html

Last edited by JeffX on 03-13-2019 23:42
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 23:43
Hondarulez wrote:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.fia-f1-race-director-charlie-whiting-passes-away.3Su01LCNwgrPic2Ex8FBQP.html

That is terrible news. 66 is too young.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 00:02
Wow, very sad indeed! Just a reminder to those who have reached "middle age"......
IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 03:10
sadlerau wrote:
Wow, very sad indeed! Just a reminder to those who have reached "middle age"......

And to not sit stationary on long-haul flights, even if in First Class. Not saying he did, but being that he passed away from a pulmonary embolism, it's a possibility.

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 04:07
What a terrible shame for him as a man to die on the eve of the start of a new season.
Rare to find a man in this sport who was respected by everyone within it.
RIP

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 06:40
So sad, especially on the eve of a grand prix weekend. Charlie had a love and dedication to the sport that few in their professions do.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 07:14
JeffX wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

That is terrible news. 66 is too young.

Yes, much too young. RIP Charlie, a well respected man who accomplished a lot in his too short of a life.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 09:39
Back to the race. Early night for me, one more sleep.......
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 10:32
sadlerau wrote:

One more sleep for you and we'll see Practice 1 in the US before we go to bed this evening!

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 14:16
gofast182 wrote:
sadlerau wrote:

One more sleep for you and we'll see Practice 1 in the US before we go to bed this evening!

How early you going to sleep? Practice 2 starts before midnight in Central Time Zone.

I did make sure that ESPN app on my Roku was activated for practice 1.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 15:17
Bullwinkle wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
sadlerau wrote:

How early you going to sleep? Practice 2 starts before midnight in Central Time Zone.

I did make sure that ESPN app on my Roku was activated for practice 1.

12:55A EST...sleepy time...I'll set my phone next to my monitor at work tomorrow AM and catch the replay on the ESPN app.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 16:44
https://jalopnik.com/a-honda-civic-type-r-joins-australian-police-force-but-1833289454

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 21:42
Early indications are.........encouraging. :)
Honda Dream
Profile for Honda Dream
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 02:03
Looking at the FP you can only say how important the rest of the car is... you can only imagine what would be if Honda was allowed to supply RB in 2016(?), but was not by Ron Dennis. Even though Honda did not produce the best or even 2nd best engine this year RB-H looks quite ok, which makes me say how bad McLaren have been for the last a couple of years and that they were very very responsible for miserable results of Mc-H in 2015-17. Williams fighting McLaren at the bottom, where are 1980s,90s,2000s years... so where is this best chassis of McL? Mr.Alonso, where is this something you McLarens can finally fight with?
Do you still believe McLaren did have the right to throw Honda under the bus for miserable results? Well the picture says a lot now. Honda was made responsible for the results like it would be the PU to be responsible in 90% for performance. It is not.
However it is McLaren who deserves massive criticism now, for blaming others for their own failures. Honda was brave enough to acknowledge not not have produced the good enough engine. McLaren produced a bad car and said they had one of the best...

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 05:40

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 06:38
Promising start. I always ask and I sound like a broken record, but any speed trap times ?
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 08:32
Just finished watching FP2. Not terribly confident Red Bull are any closer than those times indicate, Verstappen was certainly using a lot more road than either Mercedes or Ferrari. Ferrari were sandbagging or running very heavy?
tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 09:27
I anticipate Ferrari jumping to the top positions come quali.
Max ran medium for quite a while and then had his soft tyre run ruined so hard to hide but they will be fifth ??

rogazilla
Profile for rogazilla
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 09:33
Honda Dream wrote:
.... McLaren produced a bad car and said they had one of the best...

If Honda had supplied in RB in 16 may not be a good result either. The success we see in 18 for Honda is the fact that RB allows Honda to build the engine without constraint. Although I am sure there are still some design limit they want Honda to do but the idea of 'Build us the best engine you can and we will build our car on it' is what made the difference.

It is true that Honda built a bad engine in 15 and even in 16, it was stuck in the bad formula from the token system (people forget this very quickly).

The real failure of that relationship was McL didn't work with Honda as a partner but as a engine supplier. Not allowing Honda to develop and work together was McLaren's failure. They can claim they have the best chassis but it was a bad car and that's squarely on McLaren.

My point is, even if they decided to allow Honda to supply TR, the engine would be built with all the restraint of McL car and we probably wouldn't see the leap and bound in 2018. I was most excited for the marriage but I have fully accepted that the best thing happened to both companies was the divorce.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 10:02
Mclaren, Honda, and hopefully Red Bull are all in a better place now. Let's not dwell on that relationship.

It's looking promising for Red Bull and STR.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 10:10
Not to get off track too much but the main developments Honda used in 2018 were available at the end of 2017 (of course they would go on to refine them). McLaren did not want to take penalties or make any chassis modifications to allow Honda to try them and Honda was OK with that since the divorce was set and it would mean showing their hand to McLaren.

That nonsense about McLaren's chassis was insidious propaganda to save face with their sponsors at the expense of Honda.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0