[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
NealX wrote:

styled for CHI NA (say it in your Trump voice)

What truly amazes me is that the new Bimmers look... BOOORING.

Not even Bangle could do that.

Whatever happened to the designers of the old 630CSi or even their not so long ago 3 series?

Remember how their front fenders tightly wrapped around the wheels and into the front... down and in? Designed as if the wind had sculpted the fender lines at 100 mph. Every time I saw that, I just wanted to stand there and run my hands over those gorgeous body lines and realize that they really got it, that BMW really HAD IT. They were in, they understood IT. They were one of US.

The only other cars that had IT, at that time, IMHO, were the Alfas and the Ferrari Dino.

Today? Yech!

The Lincoln Continental of Germany.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:39
JeffX wrote:
garoto wrote:
They look good to me actually. Like the old Benz. I like BMWs take on it. Nothing can out ugly Lexus or Toyota. Those dudes are fucking insane.

yeah I don't think it's anywhere approaching the Toyota/Lexus standard of fug. These BMWs are not at all offensive, in fact.

I think the supermultispoke wheels on the 2 cars in this photo sort of exaggerate the effect of the waterfall grille, otherwise they're just sort of there.

Beauty (actually, I prefer the grill of the later 3.0CS, but I prefer this generation's greenhouse) and the Beast:

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 16:05
Oh dear, I have to agree with TonyEX :-) Those were nice Bee Emm's. And the 2002. The new ones look like knock-offs.

The recent Acura facelifts look quite good, I even like the grilles. Sometimes I think ToV likes to go out of its way to give Honda, and especially Acura a kicking (OK Acura dserves it mostly, but recently they're getting their styling act togeter even within the confines of facelifts). Anyway, things could be worse, they could look like these new BMWs which appear to have no personality at all.

Above image from carmagazine here.

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 16:08
Oh, and "When equipped with the ultra-quilted finish, as below, it makes the cabin a sumptuous cockpit indeed", no, it makes the cabin look tacky as hell.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 16:32
And some thing the next big Genesis is going to look bad...
ducmnguyen
Profile for ducmnguyen
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 19:02
I like the X5 but can't stand the turning radius on that thing, somewhere around 42 feet.
ducmnguyen
Profile for ducmnguyen
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 19:04
I like the X5 but can't stand the turning radius on that thing, somewhere around 42 feet. Makes it very hard to maneuver in a parking lot or a U-turn.
None
Profile for None
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 13:20
bigblue wrote:
Oh dear, I have to agree with TonyEX :-) Those were nice Bee Emm's. And the 2002. The new ones look like knock-offs.

The recent Acura facelifts look quite good, I even like the grilles. Sometimes I think ToV likes to go out of its way to give Honda, and especially Acura a kicking (OK Acura dserves it mostly, but recently they're getting their styling act togeter even within the confines of facelifts). Anyway, things could be worse, they could look like these new BMWs which appear to have no personality at all.

Above image from carmagazine here.

Agreed, that is boring, and the George Foreman Grill can't make it exciting.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 15:06
NealX wrote:
And some thing the next big Genesis is going to look bad...

The spy shots of the Genesis SUV that's coming show a pretty massive grille....

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 15:07
None wrote:

Agreed, that is boring, and the George Foreman Grill can't make it exciting.

What car do you think is exciting or not boring?

smArt
Profile for smArt
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 20:22

It now looks how a big Bimmer should.

Harvey Jr
Profile for Harvey Jr
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 21:31
gofast182 wrote:
We pulled the trigger on the X5; she is completely enamored with the car and I understand why. We placed a custom order and will be doing Performance Center Delivery in Spartanburg. Between dealer discount and rebates we ended up getting $9,000 off (plus a $1,000 BMWCCA rebate after purchase) and they're giving us exactly what I want for the MDX. I'm sad that at least one of us won't have a H/A as a daily, first time in 14 years. We'll see what happens with me in the fall when my lease is up as I remain open to the brand I still love as long as they can produce the right product, they already have a couple candidates.

Congrats sir! I actually work in the factory (maintenance planning) in the final assembly hall for the X5. Email me the last 7 of the VIN and I'll make sure she's well taken care of! I'll also ask management if I can take some pics for you during assembly and Dropbox them to you.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 22:12
JeffX wrote:
garoto wrote:
They look good to me actually. Like the old Benz. I like BMWs take on it. Nothing can out ugly Lexus or Toyota. Those dudes are fucking insane.

yeah I don't think it's anywhere approaching the Toyota/Lexus standard of fug. These BMWs are not at all offensive, in fact.

I think the supermultispoke wheels on the 2 cars in this photo sort of exaggerate the effect of the waterfall grille, otherwise they're just sort of there.

Good point on the wheels, didn't catch that.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 06:58
garoto wrote:
JeffX wrote:
garoto wrote:

Good point on the wheels, didn't catch that.

The wheels are worryingly close to Alpina ones.

Needs a bigger grille.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 08:36
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
We pulled the trigger on the X5; she is completely enamored with the car and I understand why. We placed a custom order and will be doing Performance Center Delivery in Spartanburg. Between dealer discount and rebates we ended up getting $9,000 off (plus a $1,000 BMWCCA rebate after purchase) and they're giving us exactly what I want for the MDX. I'm sad that at least one of us won't have a H/A as a daily, first time in 14 years. We'll see what happens with me in the fall when my lease is up as I remain open to the brand I still love as long as they can produce the right product, they already have a couple candidates.

Congrats sir! I actually work in the factory (maintenance planning) in the final assembly hall for the X5. Email me the last 7 of the VIN and I'll make sure she's well taken care of! I'll also ask management if I can take some pics for you during assembly and Dropbox them to you.

SO COOL!

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 08:48
NealX wrote:
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

SO COOL!

Totally! Email has been sent. I'm not expecting anything but if it happens it would be incredibly cool. The car was assigned a VIN this week and has an estimated completion date of 1/30. I'm not sure what that means as far as entering the queue and how long one takes from start to finish. I have to figure the X5 line is pushing out 400+ cars a day?

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 08:52
TonyEX wrote:

Beauty (actually, I prefer the grill of the later 3.0CS, but I prefer this generation's greenhouse) and the Beast:

There's a reason why the old CS', 635s, etc. have appreciated so well.

An old CS in restored condition today is worth an easy 6 figure price tag, and there is a booming business in restoring them (I work regularly with a company called Coupe King out of Long Beach that specializes in these cars).

They not only look good, but they are a refreshing drive compared to the isolated, nannyfied BMWs of today. A nice 3.0 CS with a 3.5 liter I6 and 5MT is a wonderful machine. Sub-3000 lbs, 220-230 whp and similar torque with a big fat curve. Nice steering (although the thin-rimmed wooden wheel can be a bit weird) and decent handling given the suspension architecture. Plus they ride nice. Frankly I'd own one if they were about half the price or less, but I'm not into buying a fixer upper.

SC

TR
Profile for TR
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 12:04
The X7 actually looks really nice and "expensive".
But have to agree that same grill doesn't work on sedans. Acura has had this issue for what seems like a decade.

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 12:18
More retro-BMW thread-hijacking, from when BMWs were cool (!), Chris Harris loving his 1986 M5 in 2012 :

Btw I love that M3 that TonyEX posted, but they cost a gazillion pounds now :-(

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 18:09

The e38 was my favorite 7.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 23:50
E39 5 series and E48 3 series was when BMW was at the top of its game styling wise for sedans, inside and out. Then it just really went down hill with the Bangle era cars, not just exterior wise but interior wise with that awful i Drive and the interior were more cost cut. They still drove well and won competitions so they still sold extremely well based on the name/image they built up but in most cases they just never regained styling wise aside from a few models like the 4 series and 6 series Grand coupe which do look pretty good.

I don't know what they are thinking with that huge grill on the 7 series mmc.

Harvey Jr
Profile for Harvey Jr
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-19-2019 17:52
gofast182 wrote:
NealX wrote:
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

SO COOL!

Totally! Email has been sent. I'm not expecting anything but if it happens it would be incredibly cool. The car was assigned a VIN this week and has an estimated completion date of 1/30. I'm not sure what that means as far as entering the queue and how long one takes from start to finish. I have to figure the X5 line is pushing out 400+ cars a day?

Gofast and I have touched base, and are in contact.

I'm sincerely hoping management let's me take some photos for him. I'm approaching our VP on Monday for permission.

The VIN will be assigned to a body once it exits the paint shop. From there it could be as soon as a single shift for it to reach the fliud fill line, depending on what day and time it gets an assignment. We are currently making 450 plus per shift. I think that is all public knowledge, so no secrets revealed.

He is correct that the G05 is a great leap in quality and content over the F15. I'm a died in the wool Honda guy, but the BMW SUVs are put together we'll, and are super nice.

None
Profile for None
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 10:49
TR wrote:
But have to agree that same grill doesn't work on sedans. Acura has had this issue for what seems like a decade.

In a way, Lexus ugly grills work better on their sedans than they do the SUVs.

TR
Profile for TR
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 10:54
None wrote:
TR wrote:

Agreed. Just another confirmation that it's almost impossible to have a brand grill that works on both, sedans and SUVs. Those that "work" are already taken.
IMO, it's better to somewhat copy than be "original" and fugly

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 11:02
honduh wrote:

The e38 was my favorite 7.

Such a boringly reductive design, yet it is handsome and unmistakably BMW. Alpina wheels notwithstanding...

It's all in the proportion and not in over-worked details.

Oddly, Hondas from around that time are often quite similar, yet not confusingly so.

I wonder if it could happen again?

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 11:10
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
NealX wrote:
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

SO COOL!

I'm sincerely hoping management let's me take some photos for him. I'm approaching our VP on Monday for permission.

The VIN will be assigned to a body once it exits the paint shop. From there it could be as soon as a single shift for it to reach the fliud fill line, depending on what day and time it gets an assignment. We are currently making 450 plus per shift. I think that is all public knowledge, so no secrets revealed.

He is correct that the G05 is a great leap in quality and content over the F15. I'm a died in the wool Honda guy, but the BMW SUVs are put together we'll, and are super nice.

Didn't notice this reply until now. Thank you for the effort.

I'm trying to put the pieces together...
Online it says production started (meaning it's in queue) and we have a VIN but no body work has started.
So does that mean the VIN exists on paper, like a shop order or something, and only gets physically marked on the car after paint? It would make sense since the bodies are generic up until that point.
Right now when we call the hotline it says the production date is 1/30/2019. The dealer's portal shows 2/6/2019. Not sure why there's a disparity and if those are start dates or finish dates?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 15:38
gofast182 wrote:
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
NealX wrote:
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

SO COOL!

Online it says production started (meaning it's in queue) and we have a VIN but no body work has started.
So does that mean the VIN exists on paper, like a shop order or something, and only gets physically marked on the car after paint? It would make sense since the bodies are generic up until that point.
Right now when we call the hotline it says the production date is 1/30/2019. The dealer's portal shows 2/6/2019. Not sure why there's a disparity and if those are start dates or finish dates?

isn't the VIN stamped into the body in various places during the production process? Does that happen after it's painted?

None
Profile for None
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 15:43
TR wrote:
None wrote:
TR wrote:

Agreed. Just another confirmation that it's almost impossible to have a brand grill that works on both, sedans and SUVs. Those that "work" are already taken.
IMO, it's better to somewhat copy than be "original" and fugly

True, SUV/Truck versus sedans...one size does not fit all.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 16:03
JeffX wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
NealX wrote:
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

SO COOL!

isn't the VIN stamped into the body in various places during the production process? Does that happen after it's painted?

I would think it's stamped before painting so it doesn't create a rust or corrosion risk. You should see the VIN on a frame/subframe member and the firewall at a minimum, no? (engine and dash placard notwithstanding)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 17:16
gofast182 wrote:
JeffX wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
NealX wrote:
Harvey Jr wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

SO COOL!

I would think it's stamped before painting so it doesn't create a rust or corrosion risk. You should see the VIN on a frame/subframe member and the firewall at a minimum, no? (engine and dash placard notwithstanding)

Exactly. This is how I've always seen it done.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0