[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
More.......................
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
More.......................
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
More.......................
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX > > Re: My next gen ILX wish list:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
    
Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-02-2018 20:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
- 205hp 1.5t/8DCT FWD
- 252hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD
- 325hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD *Type-S
- Use the all new Acura sedan platform with front double wishbone suspension.
- IDS with individual settings for Type-S
- TrueTouch infotainment
- Full Precision Cockpit infotainment *optional
- Real metal/wood
- ELS Studio 3D *standard on Advance, A-Spec and Type-S.
- Active dampers on Type-S
- Brembo’s on Type-S

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-02-2018 21:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Civicb18 wrote:
- 205hp 1.5t/8DCT FWD
- 252hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD
- 325hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD *Type-S
- Use the all new Acura sedan platform with front double wishbone suspension.
- IDS with individual settings for Type-S
- TrueTouch infotainment
- Full Precision Cockpit infotainment *optional
- Real metal/wood
- ELS Studio 3D *standard on Advance, A-Spec and Type-S.
- Active dampers on Type-S
- Brembo’s on Type-S



I basically agree with everything you said except two things:

1: I think IDS should be at least optional on all 2.0's models since the Type-S would likely be very much in the minority.

2: Make the base 1.5 liter model 210hp at MINIMUM to elevate it above the original ILX 2.4 and the Civic Si power levels.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-02-2018 21:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I still say that if Acura is going to have TWO compact luxury sedans then at least one of them needs to be something alternative.

As in - your wish list works for a TLX just as well with the addition of a 3.0T Type-S. Like...what would be different otherwise?

And this is just boring to me for an ILX. Like - I've seen all this already. It was exciting when the A3 2.0T Quattro came out in 2013.

Acura has failed too often because they make models that are boring. Everything you described for your ILX wish-list is exactly what the TLX should be - because that's what mainstream models are for. The RDX is showing just what the formula can do on the sales floor.

And there is no way the ILX will have 3 powertrains variants - it sells 1,000 units a month.

Acura has to view the ILX and TLX as a continuum if they are going to continue to insist upon having two sedan operate so closely to each other - the TLX is the mainstream model with many variants and then the ILX offers buyers a chance to be on the extreme end while still having the "normal" Acura elements.

Like...this is dumb but who cares: 1.0T Sport Hybrid.

With electric motors the combined output would be...190 hp and 205 lb-ft? MPG ratings of....37/40/38? Could they make it a PHEV?

Hell why not have every ILX just be a 1.5T Sport Hybrid? I think they could still start it right at $30K. That would be 215 hp/230 lb-ft right? And probably pretty damned close to 35/35/35.

Then start the TLX at a 2.0T with the 272 hp.

What's a better starting point for the Acura lineup than the Sport Hybrid? They start where they finish.

Quantum Continuum.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2018 02:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
I still say that if Acura is going to have TWO compact luxury sedans then at least one of them needs to be something alternative.

As in - your wish list works for a TLX just as well with the addition of a 3.0T Type-S. Like...what would be different otherwise?

And this is just boring to me for an ILX. Like - I've seen all this already. It was exciting when the A3 2.0T Quattro came out in 2013.

Acura has failed too often because they make models that are boring. Everything you described for your ILX wish-list is exactly what the TLX should be - because that's what mainstream models are for. The RDX is showing just what the formula can do on the sales floor.

And there is no way the ILX will have 3 powertrains variants - it sells 1,000 units a month.

Acura has to view the ILX and TLX as a continuum if they are going to continue to insist upon having two sedan operate so closely to each other - the TLX is the mainstream model with many variants and then the ILX offers buyers a chance to be on the extreme end while still having the "normal" Acura elements.

Like...this is dumb but who cares: 1.0T Sport Hybrid.

With electric motors the combined output would be...190 hp and 205 lb-ft? MPG ratings of....37/40/38? Could they make it a PHEV?

Hell why not have every ILX just be a 1.5T Sport Hybrid? I think they could still start it right at $30K. That would be 215 hp/230 lb-ft right? And probably pretty damned close to 35/35/35.

Then start the TLX at a 2.0T with the 272 hp.

What's a better starting point for the Acura lineup than the Sport Hybrid? They start where they finish.

Quantum Continuum.



I completely disagree.

1) The ILX and TLX are far from "on top of each other" in terms of either size or mission. There is quite a bit of difference in actual sizes and weights (though I DO agree that the TLX should be a little bigger in the back to make the differentiation bigger).

2) The proven luxury formula works. People want content regardless of size, so the "it's a smaller size, it needs to be specifically cheaper" mentality with Acura needs to go. That FINALLY seems to be happening with this ILX MMC.

3) The ILX sells 1,000 units a month because it was poorly executed, not because there is some fundamental failing in the market. The A-Class and A3 etc are selling healthy volumes compared to the ILX.

That said, to me, it should look more like this:

1) Base model ILX. FWD ~210HP DOHC VTEC 1.5T/8DCT

2) ILX SH-AWD. 2.0T 271HP.

3) ILX Type-S. SH-AWD, bigger brakes, tighter suspension, and unique/improved bodywork, more aggressive seats, etc. 2.0T ~300-310HP.

Then they could repeat the excercise with the TLX, except that the Type-S would have the TTV6 and accoutrement instead.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2018 19:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda debuted a FWD 1.5t with lots of luxury goodies four years ago (for about $27 grand IIRC). The 2016 Civic Touring.

Acura cannot seriously think that in 2020 or 2021 anyone will be impressed by a 1.5t FWD base model as the entry into their lineup. It’s just ridiculous and boring and typical and remarkably poor product planning. “Acura catches up to Honda 6 years later” seems about right I guess.

Here’s another idea: drop the ILX, bring back the Integra 3-door coupe, make the base model a 252 hp 2.0t SHAWD (with a manual option) for right around $34k. Then the TLX sedan would start with the 272 hp 2.0t for about $36k. Like - why is Acura so desperate to be in the $26-$35k market? They sell 1,000 ILX a month!

If they are so worried about the millennials make a 1.5t TLX for around $32k and bring over the CDX for $28k. Surely 500 millennials a month will be into one of those cars.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-04-2018 00:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
Honda debuted a FWD 1.5t with lots of luxury goodies four years ago (for about $27 grand IIRC). The 2016 Civic Touring.

Acura cannot seriously think that in 2020 or 2021 anyone will be impressed by a 1.5t FWD base model as the entry into their lineup. It’s just ridiculous and boring and typical and remarkably poor product planning. “Acura catches up to Honda 6 years later” seems about right I guess.

Here’s another idea: drop the ILX, bring back the Integra 3-door coupe, make the base model a 252 hp 2.0t SHAWD (with a manual option) for right around $34k. Then the TLX sedan would start with the 272 hp 2.0t for about $36k. Like - why is Acura so desperate to be in the $26-$35k market? They sell 1,000 ILX a month!

If they are so worried about the millennials make a 1.5t TLX for around $32k and bring over the CDX for $28k. Surely 500 millennials a month will be into one of those cars.



"NEXT GEN."

A ~210HP 1.5T would be FULLY competitive with other base models currently on the market. They DO need a value leader to get people into the brand, it just needs to not be the obvious model think of (as the 150HP turd was when this car debuted).

mgpeay999
Profile for mgpeay999
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-04-2018 14:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Actually the TLX and ILX are way too close in interior dimensions (outside of hip room). The TLX externally is mid-sized and significantly larger than the ILX but on the other hand, you have a less than five cubic feet difference in interior volume between the two, where it matters most. Again, it was a mistake to get rid of the TSX and TL and hopefully the 2020 TLX will be more in line with the Accord in terms of interior volume.
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-04-2018 16:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
There is no way the ILX will have two engines. There just isn't enough volume to justify it. I'll eat Dave Marek's hat if the ILX has more than one engine.

A FWD only 1.5T ILX has nothing in common with the entire rest of the Acura lineup - it isn't inspirational or aspirational or even rational for Acura to make a 1.5T FWD only car. A SHAWD version would be better - but it's still not all that aspirational. The only reason for Acura to make such a car is that it's CHEAP.

I've said before that Acura, because they have limited resources and limited models - they HAVE to target specific models.

The A3 2.0t Quattro is, from all I can tell, the best car in the sub-entry class and it starts at $34,950+ destination.

If the ILX is only going to have one engine - why wouldn't they target THAT engine and performance level?? Why can't Acura just give us what we want? A small, fast, fun AWD car? It's arguably the Acura people have been waiting for since...forever right?

To put it another way - isn't what has held Acura's sedans back since the 3G TL the fact that Acura hasn't been able to compete with the upper end models? The same is true at every level here - if they can't run with the big dogs...

Acura needs aspirational vehicles. The sales numbers and the amount of money off MSRP tells us that owning an ILX, or any Acura for that matter, isn't something many people aspire too.

I remember growing up - my friend helped a Doctor who went to his church with like his deck or something - and he was so impressed that the doctor had a Legend. He then BOUGHT a used Integra and an RSX new as his first new car out of college. He and his wife now have an MDX.

Aspirational vehicles don't have to be at the top of the lineup. A 3-door Integra hatch with a 2.0t and SHAWD...I don't know if it's aspirational or not - but it's a hell of a lot more fun and interesting and it's a hell of a lot more accessible than an NSX.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 21:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
Honda debuted a FWD 1.5t with lots of luxury goodies four years ago (for about $27 grand IIRC). The 2016 Civic Touring.




What do you mean by this? Four years ago was 2014, not 2016.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-16-2018 04:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
I still say that if Acura is going to have TWO compact luxury sedans then at least one of them needs to be something alternative.

As in - your wish list works for a TLX just as well with the addition of a 3.0T Type-S. Like...what would be different otherwise?

And this is just boring to me for an ILX. Like - I've seen all this already. It was exciting when the A3 2.0T Quattro came out in 2013.

Acura has failed too often because they make models that are boring. Everything you described for your ILX wish-list is exactly what the TLX should be - because that's what mainstream models are for. The RDX is showing just what the formula can do on the sales floor.

And there is no way the ILX will have 3 powertrains variants - it sells 1,000 units a month.

Acura has to view the ILX and TLX as a continuum if they are going to continue to insist upon having two sedan operate so closely to each other - the TLX is the mainstream model with many variants and then the ILX offers buyers a chance to be on the extreme end while still having the "normal" Acura elements.

Like...this is dumb but who cares: 1.0T Sport Hybrid.

With electric motors the combined output would be...190 hp and 205 lb-ft? MPG ratings of....37/40/38? Could they make it a PHEV?

Hell why not have every ILX just be a 1.5T Sport Hybrid? I think they could still start it right at $30K. That would be 215 hp/230 lb-ft right? And probably pretty damned close to 35/35/35.

Then start the TLX at a 2.0T with the 272 hp.

What's a better starting point for the Acura lineup than the Sport Hybrid? They start where they finish.

Quantum Continuum.



The next gen TLX will have a base 272hp 2.0t with the 3.0t reserved for the Type-S. So the TLX will move up in its segment from competing with say the BMW 320 and 330 to competing with the 330/M340i. This would give the ILX plenty of room especially for the next gen with some overlap which should be expected. Moving the TLX up a bit will also close the gap between it and the RLX.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-16-2018 21:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
- 205hp 1.5t/8DCT FWD
- 252hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD
- 325hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD *Type-S
- Use the all new Acura sedan platform with front double wishbone suspension.
- IDS with individual settings for Type-S
- TrueTouch infotainment
- Full Precision Cockpit infotainment *optional
- Real metal/wood
- ELS Studio 3D *standard on Advance, A-Spec and Type-S.
- Active dampers on Type-S
- Brembo’s on Type-S



I basically agree with everything you said except two things:

1: I think IDS should be at least optional on all 2.0's models since the Type-S would likely be very much in the minority.

2: Make the base 1.5 liter model 210hp at MINIMUM to elevate it above the original ILX 2.4 and the Civic Si power levels.



I guess I should have been more specific when it came to the IDS. I fully agree that it should be on midgrade 2.0t models with standard set settings but the Type-S should have set settings AND indivual settings.

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: My next gen ILX wish list: [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2019 11:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Civicb18 wrote:
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
- 205hp 1.5t/8DCT FWD
- 252hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD
- 325hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD *Type-S
- Use the all new Acura sedan platform with front double wishbone suspension.
- IDS with individual settings for Type-S
- TrueTouch infotainment
- Full Precision Cockpit infotainment *optional
- Real metal/wood
- ELS Studio 3D *standard on Advance, A-Spec and Type-S.
- Active dampers on Type-S
- Brembo’s on Type-S



I basically agree with everything you said except two things:

1: I think IDS should be at least optional on all 2.0's models since the Type-S would likely be very much in the minority.

2: Make the base 1.5 liter model 210hp at MINIMUM to elevate it above the original ILX 2.4 and the Civic Si power levels.



I guess I should have been more specific when it came to the IDS. I fully agree that it should be on midgrade 2.0t models with standard set settings but the Type-S should have set settings AND indivual settings.



Remove the thought of the 1.5T from the Acura lineup, it should not even be a consideration, unless it's a European offering. The 2.0T from the Accord should be where the ILX starts, then move up to the Type-S. As a "performance" brand even the base versions should give other manufacturers reason to see Acura as a contender. The new RDX shows that Acura can compete with the best in the business, but they have to keep the momentum. Since they took the time to convert the plank under the new RDX into an "Acura exclusive platform", I think that's where they will start.


 
Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0