[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Solar Panel Splits Water To Produce Hydrogen
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports November Sales > > Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

TL_06
Profile for TL_06
Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2018 07:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So said Division General Manager Ikeda in a piece published in Automotive News.

While sibling brand Honda showed a new midsize crossover in Los Angeles, Ikeda said Acura isn't looking to expand its lineup with more crossovers, opting to focus on getting its core models right.

In Asia, Acura sells a subcompact crossover called the CDX that shares a platform with the Honda HR-V. But an Acura spokesman said the RDX can reach down into that smaller segment with its pricing and sway consumers with its added room.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20181209/OEM03/181219966/acura-rdx-ikeda-sedans

None
Profile for None
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 20:31
I could see a size smaller than the RDX being popular. I guess the problem for Honda is, where do that have excess factory capacity.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 08:12
None wrote:
I could see a size smaller than the RDX being popular. I guess the problem for Honda is, where do that have excess factory capacity.

The problem for ACURA is the platform said CUV would be based off of. If that wasn't an issue, they'd find the capacity somewhere.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 10:25
gofast182 wrote:
None wrote:

The problem for ACURA is the platform said CUV would be based off of. If that wasn't an issue, they'd find the capacity somewhere.

If the new SUV was built off of the CR-V platform - I think Alliston, Greensburg and East Liberty are all pretty maxed out. That leaves Marysville and the UK.

If they use the HR-V...both Mexico plants are maxed. So...Japan?

The "exclusive" Acura platform seems to only have one option: East Liberty.

There are two things that are interesting to me about this discussion:

1.) If the RDX can start at $38K and be enough to attract buyers "up" from smaller sub-$35K crossovers...why does Acura need a freaking $26K ILX?

2.) The "core lineup" absolutely does need overhauled. The ILX is from 2012, the RLX and MDX are from 2013, the TLX is from 2014. They are all old.

I think capacity and timing plays into this as well - I read somewhere that Acura worked for like 3 years to figure out how to get the RDX, CR-V and MDX produced side by side at Marysville. That work is absolutely proving to be worth it given the popularity of both vehicles. However I do believe that adding CR-V production to Marysville is an indication of where CR-V production is headed. I think the next-gen TLX is likely to move to East Liberty - at least it makes sense to me given the "exclusive" platform.

And there is a world in which East Liberty as an Acura-only facility makes sense. Capacity is 240,000 MDX and RDX will need like 140,000 units produced a year (or more). TLX is 40,000. RLX is 5,000. ILX is 20,000. That's 205,000.

Which leaves basically the perfect amount of production room for a smaller SUV below the RDX. I think this is a way for them to get back to 200,000+ sales.

They could sort of reverse that, and just do it right now, but I think the lineup as a whole needs overhauled more than Acura needs a brand new vehicle. Especially since the RDX is, by itself, dragging the whole brand into positive sales gains.

TL,DR: Acura can find the capacity for a smaller SUV by overhauling the lineup and consolidating production at East Liberty and moving the CR-V completely over to Marysville.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 10:47
TL_06 wrote:

While sibling brand Honda showed a new midsize crossover in Los Angeles, Ikeda said Acura isn't looking to expand its lineup with more crossovers, opting to focus on getting its core models right.

In Asia, Acura sells a subcompact crossover called the CDX that shares a platform with the Honda HR-V. But an Acura spokesman said the RDX can reach down into that smaller segment with its pricing and sway consumers with its added room.

So the gateway product into Acura will be the ILX? Guess that explains its second MMC. It' going to be around for another two or three years.

Suprised Acura does not see a need to be in this segment. Me thinks Ikeda is trying to misdirect.

NX 5,622 +4%
GLA 2,411 +5.4%
X2 2,283
MKC 2,263 +11.1%
X1 1,866 -33.3%
XC40 1,022
Q3 700 -56%
QX30 416 -31.9%

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 14:00
Fitdad wrote:
And there is a world in which East Liberty as an Acura-only facility makes sense. Capacity is 240,000 MDX and RDX will need like 140,000 units produced a year (or more). TLX is 40,000. RLX is 5,000. ILX is 20,000. That's 205,000.

I really hope that HMC and AHM learned from the Japan Quake that shut down production for months.

They hadn't thought that just avoiding single source suppliers was insufficient. They also had to avoid single geographic source: putting all of your suppliers in the same geographic area.

Putting all the Acura production in a single plant is nuts.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 14:07
longhorn wrote:
TL_06 wrote:

So the gateway product into Acura will be the ILX? Guess that explains its second MMC. It' going to be around for another two or three years.

Suprised Acura does not see a need to be in this segment. Me thinks Ikeda is trying to misdirect.

NX 5,622 +4%
GLA 2,411 +5.4%
X2 2,283
MKC 2,263 +11.1%
X1 1,866 -33.3%
XC40 1,022
Q3 700 -56%
QX30 416 -31.9%

Those vehicles cost as much, or more, as an RDX. There really is no point for Acura to be in the sub $30K market. I guess they did it to the ILX strictly because it's mostly paid off so it's a simple money grab.

Naturally, dropping the price on the current ILX might cause issues for the next ILX and for current owners. One of the financial highlights of Hondacars is the resale value.

What do you think happened to those owners who had bought an ILX? Or what will happen to the residuals on those ILXs that were leased?

No, IMHO, Acura has NO business in staying under $30K. Currently, Hondacars are getting nice interiors and gobs of equipment, specially in Touring mode (check out the Touring Civic, for example). So, Acura should simply concentrate on being above that.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 15:29
TonyEX wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

I really hope that HMC and AHM learned from the Japan Quake that shut down production for months.

They hadn't thought that just avoiding single source suppliers was insufficient. They also had to avoid single geographic source: putting all of your suppliers in the same geographic area.

70% of their volume is the RDX and MDX...which are already in the same plant.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 00:15
TL_06 wrote:

Lexus UX starts at $32k and Lexus NX starts at $36k, around the same as the RDX. I don't really buy Acura's argument here.

Sure that would yet be another CUV/SUV but this is what the market demands right now. It's not like Acura has to go back to the drawing board to make one too. The CDX is readily available. Yes they will need to modify it quite a bit for the North American market but compared to designing a brand new model, that shouldn't be too difficult.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 16:04
Fitdad wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

70% of their volume is the RDX and MDX...which are already in the same plant.

Which is nuts.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 09:36
Fitdad wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
None wrote:

If the new SUV was built off of the CR-V platform - I think Alliston, Greensburg and East Liberty are all pretty maxed out. That leaves Marysville and the UK.

If they use the HR-V...both Mexico plants are maxed. So...Japan?

The "exclusive" Acura platform seems to only have one option: East Liberty.

There are two things that are interesting to me about this discussion:

1.) If the RDX can start at $38K and be enough to attract buyers "up" from smaller sub-$35K crossovers...why does Acura need a freaking $26K ILX?

2.) The "core lineup" absolutely does need overhauled. The ILX is from 2012, the RLX and MDX are from 2013, the TLX is from 2014. They are all old.

I think capacity and timing plays into this as well - I read somewhere that Acura worked for like 3 years to figure out how to get the RDX, CR-V and MDX produced side by side at Marysville. That work is absolutely proving to be worth it given the popularity of both vehicles. However I do believe that adding CR-V production to Marysville is an indication of where CR-V production is headed. I think the next-gen TLX is likely to move to East Liberty - at least it makes sense to me given the "exclusive" platform.

Which leaves basically the perfect amount of production room for a smaller SUV below the RDX. I think this is a way for them to get back to 200,000+ sales.

They could sort of reverse that, and just do it right now, but I think the lineup as a whole needs overhauled more than Acura needs a brand new vehicle. Especially since the RDX is, by itself, dragging the whole brand into positive sales gains.

TL,DR: Acura can find the capacity for a smaller SUV by overhauling the lineup and consolidating production at East Liberty and moving the CR-V completely over to Marysville.

There are or will be several choice manufacturing facilities available if Honda wanted them. Ohio and Oshawa, ON. The work force, the conveyors, paint shops, and other related systems will be there and waiting very soon. That would put the crunch point at Honda-specific tooling. Government incentives will be there for them. Maybe Honda could lease instead of buy. Just a thought. (Honda already has that thriving facility in Allston, ON, so they already speak Canadian.)

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 11:00
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:
TL_06 wrote:

NX 5,622 +4%
GLA 2,411 +5.4%
X2 2,283
MKC 2,263 +11.1%
X1 1,866 -33.3%
XC40 1,022
Q3 700 -56%
QX30 416 -31.9%

Those vehicles cost as much, or more, as an RDX. There really is no point for Acura to be in the sub $30K market. I guess they did it to the ILX strictly because it's mostly paid off so it's a simple money grab.

Naturally, dropping the price on the current ILX might cause issues for the next ILX and for current owners. One of the financial highlights of Hondacars is the resale value.

What do you think happened to those owners who had bought an ILX? Or what will happen to the residuals on those ILXs that were leased?

No, IMHO, Acura has NO business in staying under $30K. Currently, Hondacars are getting nice interiors and gobs of equipment, specially in Touring mode (check out the Touring Civic, for example). So, Acura should simply concentrate on being above that.

It's funny how so many of you flip flop on Acura position while criticizing others who have said the same thing for years. CarmB is another, its amazing of he/she has come along in thinking, its almost like it's not the same poster who defended the ILX to the point where fist fights would of broken out of the conversation was live 😂

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 15:32
Mikeydred wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:
TL_06 wrote:

NX 5,622 +4%
GLA 2,411 +5.4%
X2 2,283
MKC 2,263 +11.1%
X1 1,866 -33.3%
XC40 1,022
Q3 700 -56%
QX30 416 -31.9%

It's funny how so many of you flip flop on Acura position while criticizing others who have said the same thing for years. CarmB is another, its amazing of he/she has come along in thinking, its almost like it's not the same poster who defended the ILX to the point where fist fights would of broken out of the conversation was live 😂

WHAT?

I think you got me confused here. I've never maintained that Acura needs to stay in the sub 30K range... in fact, I'm against it.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 19:09
TonyEX wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:
TL_06 wrote:

NX 5,622 +4%
GLA 2,411 +5.4%
X2 2,283
MKC 2,263 +11.1%
X1 1,866 -33.3%
XC40 1,022
Q3 700 -56%
QX30 416 -31.9%

WHAT?

I think you got me confused here. I've never maintained that Acura needs to stay in the sub 30K range... in fact, I'm against it.

Without arguing, you were the one I recall saying the current RLX gives up nothing to a 7 series or A8 or the TLX is fine enough. You still think the ILX is better than a Civic because it has a better stereo when it fact its based on Honda worst attempt at a Civic. I had one for loaner 18MY when our MDX was in last week ( not sure how that happen) and the thing is noisy and harsh, you feel every bump, its wasnt my first time driving one same bad taste. Maybe 19 have been improved but still the damage is done

We both have been on this site a very long time and I am fully aware of your post. LexusGS, OWE and others have said the same thing many times about Acura not needing the ILX and were dismissed. I am not just saying you, even FitDad commented that oh Honda+ is fine now. The point is Acura finally may give us what we been asking for and there still is no majority on the right direction^. I think the next generation of Acura products everything must move up in percieved quality with small increases in price, also the smallest product doesn't necessarily have to be the cheapest, build to a standard and not a price and the sales will come.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Acura isn't planning more crossovers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2018 16:54
Mikeydred wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
longhorn wrote:
TL_06 wrote:

NX 5,622 +4%
GLA 2,411 +5.4%
X2 2,283
MKC 2,263 +11.1%
X1 1,866 -33.3%
XC40 1,022
Q3 700 -56%
QX30 416 -31.9%

WHAT?

Without arguing, you were the one I recall saying the current RLX gives up nothing to a 7 series or A8 or the TLX is fine enough. You still think the ILX is better than a Civic because it has a better stereo when it fact its based on Honda worst attempt at a Civic. I had one for loaner 18MY when our MDX was in last week ( not sure how that happen) and the thing is noisy and harsh, you feel every bump, its wasnt my first time driving one same bad taste. Maybe 19 have been improved but still the damage is done

We both have been on this site a very long time and I am fully aware of your post. LexusGS, OWE and others have said the same thing many times about Acura not needing the ILX and were dismissed. I am not just saying you, even FitDad commented that oh Honda+ is fine now. The point is Acura finally may give us what we been asking for and there still is no majority on the right direction^. I think the next generation of Acura products everything must move up in percieved quality with small increases in price, also the smallest product doesn't necessarily have to be the cheapest, build to a standard and not a price and the sales will come.

Agreed. I think there’s nothing wrong with a compact, entry level sedan like the ILX but it certainly needs to be better executed. I’d like to see something more in line with the A-Class and A/S3. Use a variation of the all new sedan platform that will debut under the next gen TLX. Base 210hp 1.5t/8DCT, midlevel 252hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD and a 325hp Type-S. Price it from $29,990 for the base car. There’s actually room for the ILX given the next gen TLX will move up in its segment as it will go from being a BMW 320/330i competitor to a BMW 330/340i competitor.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0