[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX anecdote
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: And you thought you were the intended beneficiary of the proposed lower gas mileage rules...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TheStraightPipes youtube car channel reviews
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Aston Martin Valkarie ICE (Cosworth Design)
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Dispenser Issues and Infrared Interface
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports November Sales > > Re: It's not surprising - RDX

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

JR's machine
Profile for JR's machine
It's not surprising - RDX [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 05:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The fact that the RDX is doing well is not surprising. What is, though, is the fact that it took Acura this long to realize what they were missing. Led by their attempts to try to satisfy too many customers they polled, they forgot the very essence of how Acura started (Legend, Integra & NSX) and its original DNA. It just goes to show you sometimes how these seven or eight figure executives just are worth their overpaid salaries.

Handing over the some of the freedom of design decisions back to their engineers is what brought the RDX back from life. The first generation was a good start, it just needed more refinement. The second generation, well, we won't go there. It may have sold well, but for all the wrong reasons.

Several things still needs to do something about with the RDX: (1) You should be able to order an A-Spec with all the options of the Advance - just because you want a sporty look doesn't mean you want to give up rain-sensing windshield wipers and other extras including some additional quietness too, (2) paying for an Advance should get you better wheels, not unappealing ones & (3) GET RID OF THAT RIDICULOUS GEAR SHIFTER SETUP - use a joystick setup like BMW. This last one is can be a deal breaker. Acura always managers to do some dumb things, its like they can't help themselves.

At least they changed those hideous grills they were using. Maybe the person who signed off on that idea originally is now sweeping floors!

None
Profile for None
Re: It's not surprising - RDX [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 08:25
Only positive, at least the Acura grill wasn't as nasty as the Lexus cow catcher.
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: It's not surprising - RDX [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 14:32
JR's machine wrote:
The fact that the RDX is doing well is not surprising. What is, though, is the fact that it took Acura this long to realize what they were missing. Led by their attempts to try to satisfy too many customers they polled, they forgot the very essence of how Acura started (Legend, Integra & NSX) and its original DNA. It just goes to show you sometimes how these seven or eight figure executives just are worth their overpaid salaries.

Handing over the some of the freedom of design decisions back to their engineers is what brought the RDX back from life. The first generation was a good start, it just needed more refinement. The second generation, well, we won't go there. It may have sold well, but for all the wrong reasons.

Several things still needs to do something about with the RDX: (1) You should be able to order an A-Spec with all the options of the Advance - just because you want a sporty look doesn't mean you want to give up rain-sensing windshield wipers and other extras including some additional quietness too, (2) paying for an Advance should get you better wheels, not unappealing ones & (3) GET RID OF THAT RIDICULOUS GEAR SHIFTER SETUP - use a joystick setup like BMW. This last one is can be a deal breaker. Acura always managers to do some dumb things, its like they can't help themselves.

At least they changed those hideous grills they were using. Maybe the person who signed off on that idea originally is now sweeping floors!

Agree on your #1, A-Spec should be an option package for all RDX's, not a model in the RDX lineup. Agree again on #2, the Advance wheels are pretty basic and a disgrace to the top line model, IMO. #3, I'm half and half with you...the RDX button shift setup is awful, but the BMW joystick isn't much better. They both are just too weird and not intuitive or user-friendly. How about just a normal f-ing shifter like before. My wife had a helluva time figuring them both out when we test drove the RDX and X3 recently.

With the move to CUV/SUVs, I'm sure the RDX will continue to do very well. Acura hit the mark on it for the most part.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: It's not surprising - RDX [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 15:21
For me I had a harder time figuring out the BMW shifter than the Acura setup. The Acura one, it's just buttons. It may take time to get used to it, but it's intuitive - press D to drive, press R to Reverse, press P to park.

In the BMW, I often had to double check a few times to ensure I got I wanted lol.

JR's machine
Profile for JR's machine
Re: It's not surprising - RDX [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2018 05:58
The BMW shifter does take some getting used. Once you realize the pushing the shifter forward is reverse and then shifting it back is for drive, it get pretty easy. The Germans do things a bit strangely. For instance, turning the dial clockwise for navigation zooms out not in. You would think tightening something up meant zooming in. Same for windshield wipers, down turns them on rather than up.

The 3K wheel option should be standard equipment on the Advance model even though they are 20" wheels.

JR's machine
Profile for JR's machine
Re: It's not surprising - RDX [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2018 05:59
Those buttons just waste so much precious space that could be used for more practical things like maybe a wireless phone charger.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: It's not surprising - RDX [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 00:18
Hahaha yea, I've been to Germany a couple times and both times rented BMW (X1 then 418D gran coupe). The X1 was a manual so it was a joy to drive and didn't need to figure out the shifter. But boy it was so slow on the autobahn as it was a X1 18i (150hp or something).

In the 418D it took me a week to get used to the shifter and by then I had to return the car LOL.

And yup...that GPS...took me a while to get used to that too!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: It's not surprising - RDX [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 15:40
JR's machine wrote:
Those buttons just waste so much precious space that could be used for more practical things like maybe a wireless phone charger.

The wireless phone chargers fit under the pad right in front of the shifter. Indeed, it's a better location as it's a shallow well with a rubberized floor that keeps the phone from shifting and sliding.

The row of buttons is fine. You get used to it fast. It's now in a bunch of Honda and Acura vehicles. Being low profile they get out of the way but they respond to your hand easily.

The one thing I wish ALL such vehicles had is paddle shifters. Not all of them have it.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0