[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX anecdote
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: And you thought you were the intended beneficiary of the proposed lower gas mileage rules...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TheStraightPipes youtube car channel reviews
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Aston Martin Valkarie ICE (Cosworth Design)
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Dispenser Issues and Infrared Interface
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports November Sales > > Re: ILX... it's all about the price.

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 13:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
(1) I wonder if the ILX is syphoning Civic Touring sales. Most people don't care/know about the underlying platform, they just see the ILX as better out fitted and with more power. (And no CVT).

(2) The price really drives cars at this price point. I wonder what the margins are for AHM for the ILX.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 14:10
YTD Civic Sales: 299,376
YTD ILX Sales: 10,349

Honda sells 1100 Civics a day. Acura sells 36 ILX a day.

How much syphoning could there be exactly?

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 14:27
Fitdad wrote:

Point taken but the proper question would be how many Civic Touring does Honda sell a day.

Lucien
Profile for Lucien
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 15:15
The ILX is based on previous gen Civic I believe. So even loaded it's not comparable and probably most people know that. Infotainment system for example is pretty much out of date. I would not be surprised if the ILX would get discontinued after this model year.
None
Profile for None
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 15:47
TonyEX wrote:
(1) I wonder if the ILX is syphoning Civic Touring sales. Most people don't care/know about the underlying platform, they just see the ILX as better out fitted and with more power. (And no CVT).

(2) The price really drives cars at this price point. I wonder what the margins are for AHM for the ILX.

I'd rather have the ILX than the Civic Touring.

Design
Profile for Design
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 16:42
Lucien wrote:
The ILX is based on previous gen Civic I believe. So even loaded it's not comparable and probably most people know that. Infotainment system for example is pretty much out of date. I would not be surprised if the ILX would get discontinued after this model year.

I think the Average Joe sees this as a step up over the Touring. SQ comparisons aside, the infotainment is more relevant thanks to the addition of AA & Carplay. And I've heard this iteration drives much better than its predecessors, thanks in part to a new electric rack and revised suspension tuning. Paired with the comparatively more responsive 2.4 + DCT, the only real noticeable disadvantage with this platform is probably the fuel economy and rear passenger volume.

If I were in the market for the Civic Touring Sedan, I'd be giving the ILX a serious look.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 20:56
Lucien wrote:

I live in California.

They renamed the "repeal the gas tax" initiative as "stop road works" and the lo-info voters turned it down.

Clueless. Most people are simply clueless.

Unless the change between old and new is so fundamental that it can be felt readily at all conditions, most people just have no clue. No frickin' clue.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 21:00
None wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

You know, we had two previous Civics, '12 and '12 CSis, we bought the '16 Touring Coupe.

The truth is that the previous gen Civic (and current ILX) is a pretty good platform to begin with.

I think you're right. As much as we love the '16, the truth is that the ILX ups the ante in many things, including the stereo and the better powertrain. And, at $31K fully loaded it does look very nice, considering our Touring Coupe stickered at $27K.

We'll see what happens on the next iteration of the ILX.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 23:34
gofast182 wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

Point taken but the proper question would be how many Civic Touring does Honda sell a day.

Itís like this: Acura came out and said, when the ILX price dropped back down, that the two cars didnít have very many crossover shoppers. So I can see why they are back in this price range.

However the lack of crossover shoppers proves that there is no reason for them to be in the price range at all - ďluxury/performanceĒ buyers arenít looking for the cheapest car. And the ILX sells poorly so who are the targeting here exactly? Buyers are looking for value - Acura doesnít have to be in the $25-$30k sedan range to provide its buyers value. Look how much the new A220 is going to cost.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2018 10:49
Fitdad wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

Itís like this: Acura came out and said, when the ILX price dropped back down, that the two cars didnít have very many crossover shoppers. So I can see why they are back in this price range.

However the lack of crossover shoppers proves that there is no reason for them to be in the price range at all - ďluxury/performanceĒ buyers arenít looking for the cheapest car. And the ILX sells poorly so who are the targeting here exactly? Buyers are looking for value - Acura doesnít have to be in the $25-$30k sedan range to provide its buyers value. Look how much the new A220 is going to cost.

Itís very unlikely that Acura intends for the ILX to be what it currently is for the long haul. Either it disappears after this version reaches end of life or it launches a much more advanced second generation at a higher price point.

Until we see where Acura takes this after the current ILX ends its run, we canít really determine where this model fits in. Right now itís a stopgap effort meant to buy some time. It was either this or go without a model slotted below the TLX. One has to assume Acura thought that overall having this stopgap offering makes more sense than having nothing.

Lucien
Profile for Lucien
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2018 15:36
Design wrote:
Lucien wrote:

I think the Average Joe sees this as a step up over the Touring. SQ comparisons aside, the infotainment is more relevant thanks to the addition of AA & Carplay. And I've heard this iteration drives much better than its predecessors, thanks in part to a new electric rack and revised suspension tuning. Paired with the comparatively more responsive 2.4 + DCT, the only real noticeable disadvantage with this platform is probably the fuel economy and rear passenger volume.

If I were in the market for the Civic Touring Sedan, I'd be giving the ILX a serious look.

Civic also offers AA & Carplay. The screen and infotainment is next gen with visible better resolution. The ILX infotainment hardware is basically 6 years old (2012 HW with some SW refreshes).

I can see interior quality could give impression of higher quality. But Civic is lot roomier and you do notice that especially cargo space (15.1 versus 12.4). So not sure if that's enough.

But either way which model someone prefers, ILX sales are very low and very likely won't be redesigned. Lexus also stopped with their CT and that had much higher sales.

rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2018 18:42
When comparing sales numbers to the TSX, well, the TSX was a massive success.

Calendar year US sales
2003 18,932[46]
2004 30,365
2005 34,856[47]
2006 38,035
2007 33,037[48]
2008 31,998[48]
2009 28,650
2010 32,076 (incl 126 wagon)[49]
2011 30,935 (inc 3,210 wagon)
2012 28,865 (incl 4,234 wagon)[50]
2013 17,484 (incl 1,976 wagon)[51]
2014 6,287 (incl 640 wagon)[52]
2015 35 (incl 2 wagon)[53]

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 03:36
rocky wrote:
When comparing sales numbers to the TSX, well, the TSX was a massive success.

Calendar year US sales
2003 18,932[46]
2004 30,365
2005 34,856[47]
2006 38,035
2007 33,037[48]
2008 31,998[48]
2009 28,650
2010 32,076 (incl 126 wagon)[49]
2011 30,935 (inc 3,210 wagon)
2012 28,865 (incl 4,234 wagon)[50]
2013 17,484 (incl 1,976 wagon)[51]
2014 6,287 (incl 640 wagon)[52]
2015 35 (incl 2 wagon)[53]

Sedan sales were much more substantial back then so you really canít compare TSX sales to todayís consumer demands.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 03:49
TonyEX wrote:
None wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

You know, we had two previous Civics, '12 and '12 CSis, we bought the '16 Touring Coupe.

The truth is that the previous gen Civic (and current ILX) is a pretty good platform to begin with.

I think you're right. As much as we love the '16, the truth is that the ILX ups the ante in many things, including the stereo and the better powertrain. And, at $31K fully loaded it does look very nice, considering our Touring Coupe stickered at $27K.

You keep stating the previous Civic platform was good when the car was mediocre at best which is why Honda did a very fast and premature refresh. It was a cheap effort all around. The current Civic is miles better in pretty much all aspects.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 03:51
CarmB wrote:
Fitdad wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

Itís very unlikely that Acura intends for the ILX to be what it currently is for the long haul. Either it disappears after this version reaches end of life or it launches a much more advanced second generation at a higher price point.

Until we see where Acura takes this after the current ILX ends its run, we canít really determine where this model fits in. Right now itís a stopgap effort meant to buy some time. It was either this or go without a model slotted below the TLX. One has to assume Acura thought that overall having this stopgap offering makes more sense than having nothing.

There will be next generations of the ILX and RLX.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 04:00
Iíd take a Civic Touring over the ILX for the following reasons:
- Vastly superior platform.
- Superior fuel economy.
- Roomier interior.
- Much better seating position.
- Itís a far more modern package.
- Itís a bit cheaper feature to feature.
- Although the K is superior in terms of character and refinement, I like the fact that a simple reflash can really wake up the 1.5t.

The ILX does have a few advantages:
- Higher perceived quality.
- 8DCT
- Engine refinement
- Better warranty

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2018 19:29
Civicb18 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
None wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

You keep stating the previous Civic platform was good when the car was mediocre at best which is why Honda did a very fast and premature refresh. It was a cheap effort all around. The current Civic is miles better in pretty much all aspects.

The execution of the '12 was mediocre in the parts they chose, but the '13 they had really upped the game and upgraded the parts and brought back details... like the inside trunk insulation and wheel well lining!

The big issue with some people was the demise of the 8000 rpm K20 in the Si for the torquey K24 motor.

But overall, the previous Civic platform was NOT a bad platform. They did not cut the corners on the design. And even then, they realized early on that they had cut back too much on the manufacturing parts cost... they were working on the '13 MMC before the '12 hit the streets!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2018 19:33
Civicb18 wrote:
Iíd take a Civic Touring over the ILX for the following reasons:
- Vastly superior platform.
- Superior fuel economy.
- Roomier interior.
- Much better seating position.
- Itís a far more modern package.
- Itís a bit cheaper feature to feature.
- Although the K is superior in terms of character and refinement, I like the fact that a simple reflash can really wake up the 1.5t.

The ILX does have a few advantages:
- Higher perceived quality.
- 8DCT
- Engine refinement
- Better warranty

ELS in the ILX.
Nicer interior.
K24 with 8DCT

Sorry, we do have a Civic Touring, the turbo and CVT is not a performance set up. I mean, you get used to it, but the set up in the ILX is better, even if the platform itself is older.

Besides, as it has been said, over and over, most people have no clue, nor do they really care about the "platform". If so, GM would have gone out of business 40 years ago. Most people just look at the overall experience of the car and the ILX is a very nice set up.

If you really care about the platform, then you get a CTR and stop posting about it -because you're too busy driving it.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2018 23:48
TonyEX wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
None wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

The execution of the '12 was mediocre in the parts they chose, but the '13 they had really upped the game and upgraded the parts and brought back details... like the inside trunk insulation and wheel well lining!

The big issue with some people was the demise of the 8000 rpm K20 in the Si for the torquey K24 motor.

But overall, the previous Civic platform was NOT a bad platform. They did not cut the corners on the design. And even then, they realized early on that they had cut back too much on the manufacturing parts cost... they were working on the '13 MMC before the '12 hit the streets!

Wrong again Tony.

The 2012 was a pile of shit. If GM had made that car, it would have been the laughing stock of this board.

That said, the 2012 was a direct descendent of the 2006 Civic, which was then 6 years old. By the 2013 refresh, it was still a 7 year old platform. Now it is a 12 year old platform.

Other than features for price, it is pretty much inferior to the Civic in every way, and the Civic is starting to get to the point where it will be falling behind the segment, which is why they will redesign it in a few years. That's the nature of the game. There is NOTHING superior about the ILX except content for the price. And they can do that because, like old GM, they are taking a nearly 2 decade old design and throwing feature content at it and hoping nobody will notice.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: ILX... it's all about the price. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 08:22
Civicb18 wrote:
CarmB wrote:
Fitdad wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

There will be next generations of the ILX and RLX.

My hope is that the plan is to launch an Acura-exclusive platform - as per the RDX - in the next TLX and then spin off the next ILX and RLX from that platform. It seems like a no-brainer to do this on account of having a platform to be used across the sedan range justifies having an Acura platform for its sedans, rather than be stuck eventually adapting the Civic/Accord platform, meaning Acura would, in a sense, be bringing up the rear.

In addition to the perception that Acura sedans are not merely rebadged Hondas, doing this would mean that technology that would be deemed too costly to go into Civics and Accords could be considered for the Acura sedan platform. Yes this would likely result in a higher MSRP but not so much that Acura products would cease to be better value overall.

If the extension of the current ILX/RLX platforms well beyond the usual is a side effect of transitioning to such an approach, thatís a good thing. If weíre stuck with stopgap offerings in the meantime, thatís better than Acura continuing down a path that was just not getting it done.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0