[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: Vivid Racing Tune the NSX MkII
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Type-S caught testing
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: Additional Impressions
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: B16 Heads
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Need Help
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > 2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show > > Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant.

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

saitamahonda
Profile for saitamahonda
Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 20:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What a missed opportunity. The passport should have taken design cues from the worldwide-liked Urban EV concept, and we get more of this 2008 Honda Accord CrossTour treatment? Is this car going to cost below a top of the line CR-V like an EX-L? While it's not hideous, it's definitely lacking in the appearance of quality and luxury that even the new Toyota RAV4s exude.

Someone I spoke to who I suggested that the Passport ought to be the Avancier/URV said that Acura would be coming out with that equivalent.
If true, it's no wonder the Passport looks cheap. It's definitely a basher and not a shelf queen.

just527
Profile for just527
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 20:41
saitamahonda wrote:
What a missed opportunity. The passport should have taken design cues from the worldwide-liked Urban EV concept, and we get more of this 2008 Honda Accord CrossTour treatment? Is this car going to cost below a top of the line CR-V like an EX-L? While it's not hideous, it's definitely lacking in the appearance of quality and luxury that even the new Toyota RAV4s exude.

Someone I spoke to who I suggested that the Passport ought to be the Avancier/URV said that Acura would be coming out with that equivalent.
If true, it's no wonder the Passport looks cheap. It's definitely a basher and not a shelf queen.

I don't see how design cues from the Urban EV concept could've worked on a Mid-sized variant of the Pilot. The CRV looks more upscale but they were clearly going for a 4runner or Grand Cherokee look with the design which helps separate it from the other models. Even if Acura did bring out another upmarket 5 seat SUV like a more conventional ZDX it wouldn't be related to the Avancier.

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 13:35
just527 wrote:
I don't see how design cues from the Urban EV concept could've worked on a Mid-sized variant of the Pilot.

Just let Urban EV Concept designer Yuki Terai have at it and see what he come up with. He's a genius.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 13:59
Whatever new Acura variant will be on the new Acura only chassis ( a fancy Honda variant), so the Acura version would have little in common with this Pilot......errrr...........Passport.

A new Pilot will be debuting in three years, so we will see if this generation Passport will have a short life before a new design.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 14:10
Unless the "Acura Avancier" is supposed to represent an upscale outdoor lifestyle vehicle, I am not sure I'd be cross shopping it with this Passport. More likely I'd be looking at Jeep or Subaru.
ding
Profile for ding
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 07:40
CarPhreakD wrote:
Unless the "Acura Avancier" is supposed to represent an upscale outdoor lifestyle vehicle, I am not sure I'd be cross shopping it with this Passport. More likely I'd be looking at Jeep or Subaru.
Subaru Ascent is nice and they are being discounted if you shop

Blue99si
Profile for Blue99si
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 07:58
The Avancier is a dolled up CRV that uses the same drivetrain. It is going to get the 1.5T and one would think be mates to a CVT. This vehicle will be Acura’s CRV. The body shape is tweaked so that it differentiates itself from the CRV. The Passport is Honda’s answer to the top selling Hylander and Outback/Forester models. I think this vehicle is perfect as for once. Honda put together a smaller vehicle with a powerful motor. The Pilot turned into a soccer mom’s excuse to not buy a minivan. I really like the lack of chrome, wide tire stance and the fact that The vehicle can actually pull a boat or snowmobiles. Cannot do that with a CRV or RDX for that matter....the only compromise I can see is the missing 10spd transmission. I would have bought this vehicle with a 6spd or 9spd regardless. Honestly, think this is perfect for me! I was leaning towards the new Ranger Raptor up until the time Ford announced that it would not Bring it to the US.....the Passport is the Honda I have always wanted!
MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 10:13
Blue99si wrote:
The Avancier is a dolled up CRV that uses the same drivetrain. It is going to get the 1.5T and one would think be mates to a CVT. This vehicle will be Acura’s CRV. The body shape is tweaked so that it differentiates itself from the CRV. The Passport is Honda’s answer to the top selling Hylander and Outback/Forester models. I think this vehicle is perfect as for once. Honda put together a smaller vehicle with a powerful motor. The Pilot turned into a soccer mom’s excuse to not buy a minivan. I really like the lack of chrome, wide tire stance and the fact that The vehicle can actually pull a boat or snowmobiles. Cannot do that with a CRV or RDX for that matter....the only compromise I can see is the missing 10spd transmission. I would have bought this vehicle with a 6spd or 9spd regardless. Honestly, think this is perfect for me! I was leaning towards the new Ranger Raptor up until the time Ford announced that it would not Bring it to the US.....the Passport is the Honda I have always wanted!

The 1.5T is the base engine. The 268hp 2.0T is optional for Avancier/URV.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 16:21
Blue99si wrote:

The Acura dealer I was talking to yesterday mentioned a smaller-than-RDX crossover that’s “likely” being developed. Then a bit later he mentioned the HRV, probably to confuse me. Well, the CRV is a bit smaller than the RDX so that might be the Avancier?

cflekken
Profile for cflekken
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 16:35
This is Honda's normal approach which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. And the reality is, it works for them and the Passport will sell very well.
That being said, Acura needs two or three new SUV's in their stalls: a UR-V based SUV positioned above the MDX to bring them a bit more upscale, preferably as a 2- and 3-row vehicle and the CDX positioned below the RDX. They already trademarked the CDX name so there's no doubt it's on its way. Likely the same variant that is already in China.

TL_06
Profile for TL_06
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 18:15
I don't think you can argue very persuasively that the Passport looks like a CrossTour.
None
Profile for None
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2018 09:00
saitamahonda wrote:

LOL. That's all I got for your incoherent rant.

LOL

Cannondale18
Profile for Cannondale18
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2018 09:33
Um, the Accord Crosstour debuted in December of 2009, as a 2010 model. I had one of the first ones sold.

Within the first 6-8 months, the Passport will kill Acura on sales. Why waste money on a premium priced, premium gas Acura?

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2018 20:28
Cannondale18 wrote:
Um, the Accord Crosstour debuted in December of 2009, as a 2010 model. I had one of the first ones sold.

Within the first 6-8 months, the Passport will kill Acura on sales. Why waste money on a premium priced, premium gas Acura?

Second stupidest comment on this thread. Congrats.

DanielAcosta
Profile for DanielAcosta
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2018 02:56
I had the impression the CRV had more cargo capacity than the RDX, perhaps I am mistaken?
Cannondale18
Profile for Cannondale18
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 09:04
F YOU!
saitamahonda
Profile for saitamahonda
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2018 02:27
I went to the LA auto show today with a former Honda Japan designer and the person who was responsible for urging Honda Japan to get into the SUV business by buying the platform from Isuzu years ago. We sat in the Passport and looked at it up close. It's clear the Passport is an activity vehicle meant to be dirtied and rugged. The front LED headlights are nice, but overall it reminds of the Outlander. From behind it looks like a Ford Explorer, which is unfortunate. Then we looked at the RAV4 variants as well as a few Volvo SUVs and CUVs.

Bottom line is Honda has the weakest designs. It was clear that Honda lagged in design sophistication compared to almost all other brands save for Subaru. It was noted that Hondas new offerings always look 3 years behind because American Honda product planners listen too much to dealers who ask for designs that are current among other brands best sellers.

I don't know who here wanted another two row SUV but I for one wanted an EV CUV or at least a hybrid or EV 3row SUV.

If I was a Honda product planner I would have called the butchered Pilot an ELEMENT and given it all weather chops, dog friendly interior, a nice boxy design like the Avancier with it's interior that is reminiscent of a Landover.

The Passport should have been more like the Volvo XC40 raised wagon/shooting brake style with the option of magic 3rd row seat. Or maybe the Clarity could have been more XC40 or I-pace like in stance, instead it looks quirky and bulbous.

Then you see designs like Honda Chinas Design C001 and you think no wonder we have such ugly cars for the US Market, the focus has shifted to Asia! I know for sure my next car will be EV or plug in hybrid and so far Honda has nothing on offer I'd spend money on. Honda better act fast or I'll be another Honda fan that ends up buying a Tesla.

osu1978
Profile for osu1978
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2018 12:21
You might as well switch to Tesla now because Honda is not going to offer what you want for quite some time.
Cannondale18
Profile for Cannondale18
Re: Missed opportunity. Wait for the Acura Avancier variant. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 09:58
Here's your side by side comparison of the Pilot and Passport. The same, but different.

https://www.motor1.com/news/292858/2019-honda-passport-pilot-differences-photos/

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0