[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: Vivid Racing Tune the NSX MkII
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Type-S caught testing
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: Additional Impressions
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: B16 Heads
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Need Help
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > 2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show > > Late to the Party .. But?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 19:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I think so. Quite lazy too.

This is what I see:
Smaller Pilot
No 3rd row
Same engine
Same ZF 9HP (still crap?)
Same AWD
Same interior
Same headlights
Two less tail light pieces (looks like crap btw - looks like I couldn't find the right trunk for my car.)
Bigger standard wheel size
Higher ground clearance
More unpainted black trim (rightfully so)
Deeper trunk storage

I don't know Honda...This has to be priced very aggressively ($28k starting for an AWD model). Otherwise, I'd just get a Pilot (yes I know some people don't want a bigger car).

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 19:38
chhan02 wrote:

This is what I see:
Smaller Pilot
No 3rd row
Same engine
Same AWD
Same interior
Same headlights
Two less tail light pieces (looks like crap btw - looks like I couldn't find the right trunk for my car.)
Higher ground clearance
Deeper trunk storage

I don't know Honda...This has to be priced very aggressively ($28k starting for an AWD model). Otherwise, I'd just get a Pilot (yes I know some people don't want a bigger car).

Costs basically nothing in R&D because it already exists.
Costs basically nothing to build because 90% of the parts are used the same from the Pilot.
Costs little to market because SUV markets itself. Literally.

Honda will sell a huge amount because:
People who are in the size segment now have the "better Honda" to choose.
People who buy these probably don't care that it looks just like the Pilot.
People will always buy the newest thing for no reason. (Apple fans)

All those cost savings with the increase in SUV sales will boost Hondas profits and hopefully they use that to help properly R&D and bring new, fun niche categories back to the U.S market.

I hope.

So while it should have been done better I don't think its a complete waste.

shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 19:59
Not everyone needs or wants a 3 row SUV. My In-Laws, like the pilot, but finds it too big. The CRV, which they have now, is too small.

Everyone is so damn critical constantly, it's so damn tiring.

Life's about choices... someone will want this.

Fishbulb
Profile for Fishbulb
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 20:35
shingles wrote:
Not everyone needs or wants a 3 row SUV. My In-Laws, like the pilot, but finds it too big. The CRV, which they have now, is too small.

Yup. Checks all the boxes for me. I'll be getting one next summer, without a doubt.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 20:43
Fishbulb wrote:
shingles wrote:

Yup. Checks all the boxes for me. I'll be getting one next summer, without a doubt.

WAIT!

Wait 'till August.

Otherwise the factory won't lease us one.

My only concern is the 9AT. Our Ridgeline does great with the 6AT... but we got to replace it next June. We could go with another one, or an RDX (too small), CRV (way too small), Pilot (a bit too big) or a Passport.

My wife has gotten into the "we need an AWD... for the snow"... Nevermind that we only see snow when we drive to the Puget Sound for Xmas... and even then, the passes are usually clear (*). I go along only because with the torque vectoring I can play on every turn I see.

(*) Besides, with an even head, careful foot and FWD you can handle 95% of all situations. The other 5% are handled with a cell phone and a reservation for an overnight stay on some motel. If they call for chains for 2WD, but OK for AWD, I prefer to park the car, have a nice dinner and sleep the night in a warm bed. By next morning the I5 is usually cleared.

None
Profile for None
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 21:03
chhan02 wrote:

This is what I see:
Smaller Pilot
No 3rd row
Same engine
Same AWD
Same interior
Same headlights
Higher ground clearance
Deeper trunk storage

Yep, sounds exactly like what I want and expected.

Good job Honda.

osu1978
Profile for osu1978
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 21:04
...My only concern is the 9AT. Our Ridgeline does great with the 6AT... but we got to replace it next June. We could go with another one, or an RDX (too small), CRV (way too small), Pilot (a bit too big) or a Passport...

Ridgeline is getting the 9AT soon.

Mazwest
Profile for Mazwest
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 21:10
Well said shingles. I too am tired of the uninformed, negative idiots who think they are the experts. This will sell very well. The industry is shifting away from sedans and into SUVs. Honda can see the numbers so they are capitalizing on it. Iím just bummed because I like my sedans and it appears they are becoming extinct.
chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 22:14
Negative idiots? First of all, I never said this wasn't gonna sell. I believe it would sell like hot cakes. It's a good combo but the price must be extremely competitive to fill in the gap. In fact, I would consider this because I prefer a V6 over a turbo, but the Pilot is just more convenient long term because of the extra seats.

Second, is it a waste of effort? I think it is because it's so similar to two other vehicles Honda already offers - Pilot and Ridgeline. But lazy effort? Absolutely yes. Self explanatory, especially not using the 10 speed.

There are a lot of meh things about the Pilot... especially the brakes. There could've been more significant difference that could have wow'd everyone.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2018 23:31
chhan02 wrote:
Negative idiots? First of all, I never said this wasn't gonna sell. I believe it would sell like hot cakes. It's a good combo but the price must be extremely competitive to fill in the gap. In fact, I would consider this because I prefer a V6 over a turbo, but the Pilot is just more convenient long term because of the extra seats.

Second, is it a waste of effort? I think it is because it's so similar to two other vehicles Honda already offers - Pilot and Ridgeline. But lazy effort? Absolutely yes. Self explanatory, especially not using the 10 speed.

There are a lot of meh things about the Pilot... especially the brakes. There could've been more significant difference that could have wow'd everyone.

The 9 speed is definitely craptastic and the J series is getting a little long in the tooth, otherwise it ought to be a good addition for very, very little development cost.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 00:41
I don't think the Passport is similar to the Ridgeline in a sense that one is a crossover/SUV, and one is a pick up truck.

And with over 6" chopped, the Passport is quite a bit smaller than the Pilot. Pilot is 194.5", 6.5" shorter means the Passport is 188". The RDX is at 187" for comparison. The CRV is 180.6". Sounds to be there's enough differentiation in terms of size.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by waste of effort. To me, from a business perspective, it's not a waste of effort if it makes decent money for the company.

Lazy effort, that I'd agree. I wish they would do a bit more with differentiating itself with the interior. It would also be nice to have 10AT. However, as is, the Passport seems like a desirable vehicle for quite a lot of people.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 07:31
I like it and would have been on the fence between this and the Ridgeline when I bought my Ridgeline. I like the front better than the Ridgeline, too.
rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 07:52
While Honda did pretty much 'mail it in', this is definitely not a wasted effort. They will sell a lot of these I'm sure, and all they had to do was piece together some available parts from the bin...lol. It's pretty much all business here...maximizing profits and capitalizing on the SUV craze. The passion is pretty much zero though. Little to no effort put forth to be creative with the design, but it will not matter.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 08:03
shingles wrote:

I'm not in the market for SUV's, but find the same dilema when buying my people movers of choice (minivans). I don't know in the USA, but in Japan families are small, so there is basically no use for three seating rows, and yet automakers (including Honda) keep forcing them on us.

So, personally I'd love for Honda to make 2 row versions of their 3 row minivans, make the most of their space with the seats I need, or make them shorter/nimbler/lighter.

Bottom line, I agree with you.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 09:24
Hondatalover wrote:
chhan02 wrote:

This is what I see:
Smaller Pilot
No 3rd row
Same engine
Same AWD
Same interior
Same headlights
Higher ground clearance
Deeper trunk storage

Costs basically nothing in R&D because it already exists.
Costs basically nothing to build because 90% of the parts are used the same from the Pilot.
Costs little to market because SUV markets itself. Literally.

Honda will sell a huge amount because:
People who are in the size segment now have the "better Honda" to choose.
People who buy these probably don't care that it looks just like the Pilot.
People will always buy the newest thing for no reason. (Apple fans)

All those cost savings with the increase in SUV sales will boost Hondas profits and hopefully they use that to help properly R&D and bring new, fun niche categories back to the U.S market.

I hope.

So while it should have been done better I don't think its a complete waste.

For Honda, this was low hanging fruit. ROI will be off the charts. ATPs will probably be higher in comparison to the Pilot.

Cannondale18
Profile for Cannondale18
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 13:11
The Pilot is 196.5 and the Passport is 190.5

Just the right size for me! Can't wait to see them in person!

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 01:00
I may well be taking a look at this to replace our HR-V in a year or two.

We were considering the CR-V, but I have my reservations about the 1.5T and CVT. It is also just a little bit smaller than I would like, but would be adequate.

I REALLY like the Pilot, but it is a little bigger than we need, and they are pretty pricey if you don't get the lower trim levels. I like the idea of the V6 better than a turbo 4 and the extra refinement and build quality would be appreciated, so this is pretty much right in my radar.

Ep3Bob
Profile for Ep3Bob
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 18:17
For me and my family, this is perfect. I like the Pilot for the most part, but it's too minivan-ish and too big, plus we don't need the third row. The CR-V is nice, but under-powered and I don't like the CVT. The 9 Speed auto has been getting better and better and the Passport will have the best version thus far. The Passport's styling is better than both the Pilot and Ridgeline in my opinion, and the way Honda has set up the packages makes the EX-L a great deal. We're very excited and we will be getting one next year for sure.
Blue99si
Profile for Blue99si
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 19:34
danielgr wrote:
shingles wrote:

I'm not in the market for SUV's, but find the same dilema when buying my people movers of choice (minivans). I don't know in the USA, but in Japan families are small, so there is basically no use for three seating rows, and yet automakers (including Honda) keep forcing them on us.

So, personally I'd love for Honda to make 2 row versions of their 3 row minivans, make the most of their space with the seats I need, or make them shorter/nimbler/lighter.

I agree.....just had one of the small Mazda vans pull up next to me at a stop light. Small car/van with sliding doors.....put AWD in it and you would have a winner!

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2018 10:11
Blue99si wrote:
danielgr wrote:
shingles wrote:

I agree.....just had one of the small Mazda vans pull up next to me at a stop light. Small car/van with sliding doors.....put AWD in it and you would have a winner!

For like 7 people. That would be a dud in sales.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Wasted Efforts? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2018 13:49
chhan02 wrote:

I have a Ridgeline (BE with the sport grill (*) ) and I've been looking at the Pilot.

To me the Pilot is too big and minivan like looking, it has a somewhat soft rear end but it has a huge interior to carry things.

I love the way the Ridgeline looks but I'm finding out that I seldom use the bed or the rear trunk. I end up loading stuff in the back of the cab and those doors are too short, and the cab could use four more inches to carry passengers (maybe put 777 like reclining seats too).

So, if the back of the Passport proves to be just a little larger (with the middle seats down) than the Ridge's bed I think that will make it mine. Overall I see that chopping the vehicle brings much better balance between the two boxes, I just hope that back end is better planted than the Pilots.

If only I could get it with the Ridge's trusty 6AT!

I should note though, that if they ever make an SH-AWD Odyssey...

(*) Which btw fixes a LOT with the front end of the truck.

s2kx2
Profile for s2kx2
Late to the Party .. But? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 16:51
Like the title states late to the party but probably worth the effort and the wait. Those who don't want to take a chance on a Jeep product or Range Rover (yuck) now have a viable option. Time will tell.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0