[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
More.......................
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
CR-V --> Re: 2018 CR-V price experience
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: MDX update schedule?
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2019 Honda CRV on Honda Canada Website
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: 2018 Odyssey droning noise
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Valve adjustment needed?
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Atom 4 powered by CTR engine
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 06:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

F1 has arrived in Sao Paulo Brazil for the 47th running of the Brazilian Grand Prix, the penultimate race of the season. Having witnessed a myriad of Formula 1 history over the years, the Interlagos circuit holds a special place in the hearts of fans and drivers. It also holds the distinction of being one of two counterclockwise circuits on the F1 calendar.

Toro Rosso Honda, after testing several engine upgrades over the past few Grands Prix and taking the requisite penalties, will now focus on consolidating 8th place in the Formula 1 Constructor’s Championship. Both drivers will return to Honda’s Spec. 3 engine and have the latest aero package. Getting both cars in the points will be the objective if both can qualify well.

Elsewhere on the grid, even though Lewis Hamilton clinched his fifth WDC title in Mexico doesn’t mean the battle at the front of the field is over. Ferrari will want to save face and end the season on a high, proving what it is capable of. It’s probably safe to say that Red Bull is a threat to any position, including first place, so we shouldn’t be surprised if they split the top two teams. The battle for “best of the rest” is probably a fight between a Renault and a Force India based on the last couple of races. Haas will be fighting desperately for a return-to-form which would also make it a challenger to lead the midfield battle. With an impressive development curve this season, Sauber will be in the mix to split this battle and come away with solid points. Following will be McLaren and Williams, respectively, as both teams will be glad to be one step closer to ending what has been a miserable 2018.

For more, including TV times, stats, and video, click over to TOV-M!
https://motorsports.vtec.net/blog/225/f1-2018-brazilian-grand-prix/

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 08:59
I'm patiently looking forward to a full weekend of spec 3 use with no penalties!
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 11:29
Dren wrote:
I'm patiently looking forward to a full weekend of spec 3 use with no penalties!

no penalties, but even more important - let's have a weekend with NO GLITCHES!!

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 16:02
JeffX wrote:
Dren wrote:

no penalties, but even more important - let's have a weekend with NO GLITCHES!!

It would be fantastic.

My little finger is trying to tell me that Honda will perhaps give a new fake excuse on the last minute to introduce a new spec. But I would prefer a. "clean" week end.

In Vxtec memory: GO GO GO Honda !!!

(I miss your posts Vxtec)

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 17:49
Just daydreaming a bit, they must know how much life in terms of hours or miles are left in these engines. They only have two races left, let's turn them up and go for broke. The other teams are almost all running on older engines with more hours on them so Honda may have a legitimate advantage with how they can run.
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 23:08
gofast182 wrote:
Just daydreaming a bit, they must know how much life in terms of hours or miles are left in these engines. They only have two races left, let's turn them up and go for broke. The other teams are almost all running on older engines with more hours on them so Honda may have a legitimate advantage with how they can run.
I agree - let's crank 'em up and see what we (Honda) can learn, regarding power, wear or weaknesses.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 06:12
To be fair to Honda the engines have actually been very reliable in the races this year. It does appear that the spec 3 has durability issues which I hope they get on top of quickly so Red Bull can be in the mix from the off nest year
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 08:14
Anyone else trying to watch practice on the ESPN app? It's F-ing non stop F-ing commercials. GRR.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 08:48
gofast182 wrote:
Anyone else trying to watch practice on the ESPN app? It's F-ing non stop F-ing commercials. GRR.

I've got hulu live, much better through that usually, even though it's still ESPN. I cloud DVR it.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 08:51
Dren wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

I've got hulu live, much better through that usually, even though it's still ESPN. I cloud DVR it.

It finally came on after 5+ minutes of commercials. The ESPN app has NEVER done that before.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 09:39
gofast182 wrote:
Dren wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

It finally came on after 5+ minutes of commercials. The ESPN app has NEVER done that before.

Maybe it's a new thing. When I fire it up on hulu it usually sits there displaying the ESPN logo saying it's commercial time but never shows commercials. It lasts a minute, never had it go for 5 before. At least now on ESPN they don't seem to show the race winning car in the picture for the event.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 09:52
P15 and 18 for the TR cars. They only ran on the soft tires. Everyone else sans Mclaren ran of the SS tires. If there is half a second between the tires it'll put Gasly in Q3 territory based on P1 times.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 10:02
Dren wrote:
P15 and 18 for the TR cars. They only ran on the soft tires. Everyone else sans Mclaren ran of the SS tires. If there is half a second between the tires it'll put Gasly in Q3 territory based on P1 times.

Plus it's also a Friday engine.

Ugh, RIC...grid penalty for a turbo. I am desperately hoping for a Shoey before the season ends but that hope is dwindling.

Haas is looking good after a terrible Mexican Grand Prix.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 10:05
Yes, I'd like to see Haas bag a good points haul. It'll be hard to catch Renault. I have my Haas polo on today!
Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 10:11
Dren wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Dren wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

Maybe it's a new thing. When I fire it up on hulu it usually sits there displaying the ESPN logo saying it's commercial time but never shows commercials. It lasts a minute, never had it go for 5 before. At least now on ESPN they don't seem to show the race winning car in the picture for the event.

Get used to it. This is not just ESPN. Up until now most TV Network Apps were loss leaders in the sense that they were trying to get eyeballs, and since there were no numbers, the advertisers did not show much interest, anyway.

But now Nieslen and others are providing hard numbers on viewership that companies like ESPN can sell from.

ALSO, there has been a lot of thinking as to what kind of advertising works in an on-demand world. And the current thinking is that the most watched time for an on-demand view is RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING. Hence, a whole bunch of front-loaded commercials.

How do I know this? I am on the marketing committee for a major sports advertiser, and this is what all the networks are building into their packages for 2019. I've seen enough of the presentations.

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 13:34
Ugh, not looking great so far.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2018 09:44
Why would Honda run the spec 2 on Friday?? Running the spec 3 today...
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2018 10:58
sadlerau wrote:

I saw that too. The only thought I have is to reduce the laps on the race engines. Maybe setting benchmarks? Who knows.

Tangent comment: I now really enjoy hearing the sounds of these turbo-hybrid cars on the track. The differences between the cars are subtle but interesting.

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2018 04:09
Pretty impressive result. To beat the Renault teams ( apart from Red Bull ) shows how good spec 3 seems to be. Only the Ferrari teams and merc factory team beat us.
Bodes well for next year

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2018 04:27
Their race pace seems a concern though. I really hope we don't go backwards in the race
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2018 05:44
sadlerau wrote:

I would guess that it enables them to get a direct comparison between both, which could be very valuable if you consider they still have a long road ahead in terms of development if they are to catch up with the best.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Pre-Race Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2018 12:01
The grid walk was about typical. I would have liked to have heard more from Lando since they had him tag along.

I'll go with Vettel for the win and Gasly scoring points.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2018 13:45
Well, so much for Vettel and Gasly.

My driver of the day goes to Ricciardo again. Very solid race.

It's still hard to say what's up with Honda.

towncaptain
Profile for towncaptain
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2018 13:50
https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/11/toro-rosso-performance-shows-red-bull-is-not-lying-about-honda/
This shows the improvements this year vs 2017 McLaren Honda

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2018 19:59
Verstappen showing his immaturity by shoving Ocon after the race. Or more accurately, showing one of the characteristics you need to be an F1 champion in the making??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3r7-wo7PY4

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 02:55
The latter. If I was him I would have done the same if not worse !
Ocon May have the right to unlap himself but not to fight for the position
If he had passed him at the end of the straight then fine but to persist with the attempt was ludicrous
Force India’s defence of it is pathetic
Hamilton thoroughly deserves this championship but dear god he has had Lady Luck by his side !!

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 03:18
'The Stewards determined that he failed to complete the pass at turn one, and as a lapped car, fought the leader for track position, causing the collision at turn 2 with the race leader.'

I should be a steward lol !

Y65P
Profile for Y65P
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 06:44
Thank you TOV for being objective. Reading trough all the social media after the race, some of the media and even the 'holier than thou' Hamilton, I thought the world had gone crazy. The confirmation bias is just through the roof. Not here, it seems, so thank you.

Ocon had no business fighting as hard as he did, but somehow people immediately spin this as Max was to blaim. These people have been awefully quiet the past couple of races by the way. Just imagine HAM in the lead and VER taking him out like Ocon. That would be an absolute shitstorm.

Taking out the race leader as backmarker (even by accident, see Jos 2001) is a cardinal sin.
If ever there was a reason the wave the black flag, it was yesterday. Ocon seems not impressed, going by that smirky smile on his face. I guess that's what really triggered Max. The FIA punishment is a joke, even though Senna received a double race ban in 1993 for a similar incident.

Listening to Hamilton's fatherly advice (a.k.a. resentful mindgames) in the cool down room was punishment enough for Max. IMHO

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 07:31
Count me in with the fans who see some blame for both Ocon and Verstappen. Verstappen cut across Ocon because he simply didn't believe he'd be there, I doubt he even checked his mirror. Ocon was too aggressive but to suggest a driver can't unlap himself just points to the complaints a lot of racing fans have about F1 being a bunch of cars running around a track without real passing.

It's just my opinion but Hamilton is correct and he should know because of the Rosberg incident in Barcelona. Verstappen may be correct about the rules but he finished 2nd instead of 1st and he made himself look like a dolt afterward.

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 07:45
It’s not the unlapping that is the issue. That is fine as long as it is a clean move. If Ocon had gone down the inside or outside on entry to the corner and exited ahead there would be no issues and he is perfectly entitled to do it.
The fact is though that he ‘raced’ Verstappen thereafter and he has no right to do so as per the findings of the stewards
I have long been an admirer of Ocon so it is not max fanboy stuff. But a leader deserves respect and had it been Hamilton Bottas or Vettel I would say exactly the same
We do need racing in F1 but it’s a bit of a stretch to include back markers challenging the leaders to be included in that lol !!

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0