[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
More.......................
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
MDX --> Re: MDX update schedule?
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2018 CR-V price experience
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2019 Honda CRV on Honda Canada Website
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: 2018 Odyssey droning noise
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Valve adjustment needed?
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Atom 4 powered by CTR engine
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Accord 2.0 Touring Rain-Sensing Wipers

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring MPG    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2018 19:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
CB77 wrote:

The positions on the stalk are, in order:

> Mist

> Off

> Auto

> Low

> High

Scoured the manual for any way to not have the rain-sensing function in the "Auto" position...but there is none.

I don't get it... if you want to run the wiper delay setting, then just set it to auto. The car will adjust for speed and rainfall. I found this pretty much perfect running in the rain. Otherwise I just turned it off.

So...

If you want to turn if off, turn it off.

Then you got low, high and mist.

What I'm I missing here?

yeah I wonder if CB77s rain sensor needs to be recalibrated. If anything, I thought the auto wipers were sometimes a little too aggressive, especially when the car's new and really clean and the paint repels water so well that one or two little drops rolling off the roof can send the wipers into an all out spasm for about 10 strokes lol.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring MPG    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 00:10
CB77 wrote:

The old fully-manual intermittent wiper switch was much better than these new rain-sensing wipers. I can tell much better at what speed the wipers need to run, than the computer can.

This is the kind of whiz-bangery that I was talking about in my earlier post, where I voiced my concerns over the long-term reliability of such systems, the repair costs (once out of warranty) and even the need for such stuff.

It pretty much made them perfect when Honda took the variable intermittent function and then added speed compensation (they would sweep more often when driving and less often when sitting).

I agree, that is makes me wonder how necessary it really is.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring MPG    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 00:23
MGP999 wrote:
Same here, i am seeing about a 4 mpg difference between my old V6 Accord and my current 2.0L Accord. The Turbo does indeed punish your mpg even with mildly aggressive driving and giving me around 270 miles on a full tank before it is time to refuel. I would not be surprised if the 3.0L turbo TLX gives me about the same mpg as the 2.0L Accord in accord with my driving style.

That's crazy. I pretty comfortably assume 30MPG in my 6MT V6 coupe and that works out to just over 500 miles on a tank, so I plan about 450 conservatively or just slightly less to make sure I don't run out.

Our V6 6AT on the other hand (at 35-37MPG comfortably) can range out closer to 600 miles on a single tank. I am pretty sure it would actually do the California border of AZ to Dallas in 1 fill up, but I have never been willing to chance it, and we just do it in 3 fill ups. Usually have to stop and pee anyway.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring MPG    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 07:13
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
CB77 wrote:

The positions on the stalk are, in order:

> Mist

> Off

> Auto

> Low

> High

Scoured the manual for any way to not have the rain-sensing function in the "Auto" position...but there is none.

I don't get it... if you want to run the wiper delay setting, then just set it to auto. The car will adjust for speed and rainfall. I found this pretty much perfect running in the rain. Otherwise I just turned it off.

So...

If you want to turn if off, turn it off.

Then you got low, high and mist.

What I'm I missing here?

yeah I wonder if CB77s rain sensor needs to be recalibrated. If anything, I thought the auto wipers were sometimes a little too aggressive, especially when the car's new and really clean and the paint repels water so well that one or two little drops rolling off the roof can send the wipers into an all out spasm for about 10 strokes lol.

In most of the cars I've used with automatic whippers throughout the years (Honda's and not Honda's), if anything, I always found their settings too aggressive to my taste, so I guess you can't please everyone :)

Unfortunately though, that's one of the things Honda believes Japanese people don't need, so since I moved to Japan I haven't tried a car with them (you need to reach RDX level to get such a "luxurious" amenity over here).I do miss them every day it rains though ... so much.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring Rain-Sensing Wipers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 09:32

It looks like my dissatisfaction with Honda's rain-sensing wipers is pretty common. Here is a sample of some conversations going on at another Accord website:

> My Touring does have the "rain sensing" wipers, and they suck. They work fine for a while after turning the wipers on, but they reliably go crazy after some time (could be 5 minutes or 15, no idea what sets them off), wiping at top speed no matter how much or little rain there is. If I turn them off and back on again they'll be back to normal for a bit, until the game repeats. I wish I had the manual interval timer you have. As it is, that rain-sensing crap is unusable, meaning in practice I don't have interval wipers at all.

> You can; just unplug the sensor at the windshield and it will work in interval mode only (that is the default operating mode when there is a sensor issue). However, you could just get the defective sensor replaced.

> I have seen this issue reported at a number of places, with no solution. Lots of people had their sensors replaced, with no improvement. Generally speaking my expectation is that if I have someone work on my car (other than simple maintenance), they'll break at least as much as they fix, and I will end up wasting a huge amount of time for no benefit or worse. No thanks...

Having iffy wipers isn't the end of the world, and if I can just disconnect the sensor, I'll be golden.

Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring MPG    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 09:35
For poops and giggles, clay the windshield. Give it some extra elbow grease around the area where the sensor is. Wipe down the wipers with glass cleaner to get any residue off. If the windshield is dirty or there's a slight smear, the sensors might not be reading correctly.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring MPG    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 14:36
JeffX wrote:

The factory must have made a shipping mistake. I think he got a car with the SoCal calibration. That's how it works around here... two drops and you run the wipers ten times.... four drops and you turn on the wipers at high speed.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring Rain-Sensing Wipers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 00:51
CB77 wrote:

It looks like my dissatisfaction with Honda's rain-sensing wipers is pretty common. Here is a sample of some conversations going on at another Accord website:

> My Touring does have the "rain sensing" wipers, and they suck. They work fine for a while after turning the wipers on, but they reliably go crazy after some time (could be 5 minutes or 15, no idea what sets them off), wiping at top speed no matter how much or little rain there is. If I turn them off and back on again they'll be back to normal for a bit, until the game repeats. I wish I had the manual interval timer you have. As it is, that rain-sensing crap is unusable, meaning in practice I don't have interval wipers at all.

> You can; just unplug the sensor at the windshield and it will work in interval mode only (that is the default operating mode when there is a sensor issue). However, you could just get the defective sensor replaced.

> I have seen this issue reported at a number of places, with no solution. Lots of people had their sensors replaced, with no improvement. Generally speaking my expectation is that if I have someone work on my car (other than simple maintenance), they'll break at least as much as they fix, and I will end up wasting a huge amount of time for no benefit or worse. No thanks...

Having iffy wipers isn't the end of the world, and if I can just disconnect the sensor, I'll be golden.

You'll be even more interested to know that Car and Driver had to have the windshield replaced on their long term EX-L and it was $1100... OUCH!

But maybe if you take it to the dealer, they can find a problem and fix it?

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring Rain-Sensing Wipers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 08:34

Yeah...only 3 weeks into ownership of this car, so plenty of warranty left. But my concern, as voiced by someone in that other Accord forum, is the competence of the dealer's service department to apply the fix. They may screw up more than they fix...plus the inconvenience of being without the car.

Seemingly a self-inflicted wound, of car makers adding features that are not really needed.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring Rain-Sensing Wipers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 18:32
Honda OEM windshields are expensive. I figure all OEM windshields must be expensive.

The cost to replace it in the 06 Civic IMA was 1000 bucks, even my wife's cost was astronomical.

It ran $1500 in our Clarity FCEV and that took a month to get the part. There are NO aftermarket windshields for the Clarity FCEV.

I don't know how much it cost in the Ridgeline since it was done at no cost to us, but I figure it was not cheap. Again, I wonder if there are aftermarket windshields for the truck.

For the Civic IMA, we ended up going with one of those "come to your house" repair shops and he put a high quality one, non Honda branded, for 350 bucks. That's a simple windshield with no "see through" sensors.

The issue with the newer cars today is those pesky cameras and sensors on the windshield. There are several versions of the windshield ($$) and then you got to have the cameras recalibrated ($$$).

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring Rain-Sensing Wipers    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 18:52

Yep Tony. Ah, for the joys of a 1973 Civic. Ha!

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0