[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
More.......................
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
CR-V --> Re: 2018 CR-V price experience
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: MDX update schedule?
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2019 Honda CRV on Honda Canada Website
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: 2018 Odyssey droning noise
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Valve adjustment needed?
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Atom 4 powered by CTR engine
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Honda Power Equipment > > Re: Considering a Honda mower

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-01-2018 16:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Never failed to start in 15 years. You just have to put your back into it.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-01-2018 17:41
Just get an Ego Power battery powered lawn mower (they are very popular) and be done with gas, oil changes, spark plugs and dirty filters that one is always forgetting to replace. Oh and easy start.

https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-self-propelled-mowers/products/21-inch-self-propelled-lawn-mower

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-01-2018 23:17
Waldo wrote:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lawnmower/

Several articles praise this model as "the best".

For years I wanted a Honda but couldn't justify the cost new for my tiny lawn. After going through multiple cheap used (yeah I'm cheap and my lawn is small) mowers - I was fed up with the maintenance of gas and lack of reliability. I was looking at electric mowers like Ego, SunJoe etc and was about to buy a new one when I found a used HRX 217 locally for a great price. Ive only used it a few times but I love the composite deck (won't rust) and ability to stop the blade and leave motor running while moving obstacles.

Overall I'd say you're on the right track - go electric - or go Honda or at least Honda-engined.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2018 00:35
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Waldo wrote:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lawnmower/

Several articles praise this model as "the best".

For years I wanted a Honda but couldn't justify the cost new for my tiny lawn. After going through multiple cheap used (yeah I'm cheap and my lawn is small) mowers - I was fed up with the maintenance of gas and lack of reliability. I was looking at electric mowers like Ego, SunJoe etc and was about to buy a new one when I found a used HRX 217 locally for a great price. Ive only used it a few times but I love the composite deck (won't rust) and ability to stop the blade and leave motor running while moving obstacles.

Overall I'd say you're on the right track - go electric - or go Honda or at least Honda-engined.

Yes, I have an HRX217 that I got quite awhile ago (has it been 15 years already??). I've changed the spark plug once, even though it was running fine. I change the oil every 2-4 years (yes, I have been negligent to my poor mower). I've spent a total of less than $10 on air filters that take all of 22 seconds to replace. I buy a 5 gallon can of gas for it once per year, and then I have probably 2 gallons of that gas left at the end of the mowing season. It takes less than 40 seconds to "recharge" the HRX.

The best part is that I've never had to buy a $220-$360 (yes, that's what they cost) replacement lithium battery to put in it. Speaking of that, I'd be surprised if those last more than 4-5 years in the battery mowers, without significant degradation. My HRX starts on the first pull every time (except those few times when I forget to turn the fuel switch on) and sometimes it will mow through my 1/3 acre yard two full times on a single tank. The only thing it's consumed are probably 3 or 4 sets of blades. You can sharpen them a couple times but after you hit enough rocks and whatnot, it's time to get new ones. The orange plastic speed control lever broke on my HRX and I've been too lazy to order a new part for it. A bracket on my wall gave way and something that was hanging above the mower came crashing down on it and broke that poor lever. Oh well, I ended up just setting it permanently on the fastest speed with some pliers and it's my job to try to keep up.

I've heard of people wearing out the drive wheels on the HRX but I guess my terrain isn't too hard on them, because I still have the original wheels with plenty of tread left.

I'm hoping this thing goes long enough so I don't have to get a battery powered one, at least while I'm living in this house. The strongest battery mowers would require a recharge well before I could finish mowing my yard or I'd require a 2nd battery. And then these incredibly expensive batteries themselves have a limited shelf life, so over time it would be way more expensive and time consuming than a loud and smelly gasoline mower. I have some really great earbud headphones that cut the sound substantially, and the smell from the Honda mower really isn't very noticeable after it warms up from the initial start.

Hopefully by then there will be a much more suitable battery tech than Li-Ion.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2018 06:27
They say that as long as you don't neglect or abuse a Honda mower, it will last a lifetime.

They are lying.

They still last a lifetime, despite the neglect and abuse.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2018 08:49
Since I've posted, I was given a used Craftsman mower and it was very heavy. I went back to a lightweight mower that I have.

Is there a relatively lightweight Honda mower? A lightweight mulching mower? I'm going to see what goes on sale this autumn.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2018 10:15
I grew up mowing lawns, so I'm kind of a lawn "snob" and yell at the kids to "get off my lawn"...ha.

I've had my HRX217 for coming up on 15 years and I honestly haven't treated her that well, but she is a beast. Can't remember the last time I changed the oil or filter and she starts on the first or second pull almost every time. My rear wheels are worn out to the chords and the hydrostatic cruise doesn't work too well anymore. I could probably get everything fixed for a couple/few hundred bucks, but Honda is running a promo right now ($75 off) and I can get a new HRX217HYA for $650 at my local Honda dealer, so I'll probably just pull the trigger this week. That's the lowest price I've seen anywhere local or on the web.

We'll see if the dealer will give me anything on trade, but anything less than $50 bucks, I'll probably just keep, fix up the wheels/drive, and give to one of the kids who will be buying a house in the next year or so.

I also have a 20+ year old HRX216 that some relatives gave me this summer after they downsized, but I haven't had the chance to get up and running yet. If that goes well, I may keep that one over my existing 217, but we'll see. I'll need to do something because 3 lawnmowers in the garage for too long and I'm sure I'll get yelled at or be told to sleep in the garage with my toys. Honda has at least kept me as a power equipment customer...have a Honda generator, as well.

Carnut1971
Profile for Carnut1971
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2018 09:07
Just pull the trigger on the least expensive Honda mower (about $300) and be done with it for the next 20 + years. I purchased one in 1999 and it still starts the first or second time every time! The deck is just now starting to rust, and the wheels are pretty worn down, but no issue with it in 20 years. Just an oil change each season, new plug and air filter and all good!
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2018 09:27
cksi1372 wrote:
I grew up mowing lawns, so I'm kind of a lawn "snob" and yell at the kids to "get off my lawn"...ha.

I've had my HRX217 for coming up on 15 years and I honestly haven't treated her that well, but she is a beast. Can't remember the last time I changed the oil or filter and she starts on the first or second pull almost every time. My rear wheels are worn out to the chords and the hydrostatic cruise doesn't work too well anymore. I could probably get everything fixed for a couple/few hundred bucks, but Honda is running a promo right now ($75 off) and I can get a new HRX217HYA for $650 at my local Honda dealer, so I'll probably just pull the trigger this week. That's the lowest price I've seen anywhere local or on the web.

We'll see if the dealer will give me anything on trade, but anything less than $50 bucks, I'll probably just keep, fix up the wheels/drive, and give to one of the kids who will be buying a house in the next year or so.

I also have a 20+ year old HRX216 that some relatives gave me this summer after they downsized, but I haven't had the chance to get up and running yet. If that goes well, I may keep that one over my existing 217, but we'll see. I'll need to do something because 3 lawnmowers in the garage for too long and I'm sure I'll get yelled at or be told to sleep in the garage with my toys. Honda has at least kept me as a power equipment customer...have a Honda generator, as well.

I've got an 11 year old HRR216 with worn out rear wheels and the drive is starting to go, too. The engine still starts and runs well but I'm thinking of upgrading this year or next rather than repair the drive mechanism, it seems more complicated than some of the later Honda mowers.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2018 11:44
gofast182 wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:

I've got an 11 year old HRR216 with worn out rear wheels and the drive is starting to go, too. The engine still starts and runs well but I'm thinking of upgrading this year or next rather than repair the drive mechanism, it seems more complicated than some of the later Honda mowers.

Correction, I have the HRB216HXA, but looks exactly like the new HRX217. Anyway, just ordered new rear wheels, filter, sp plug, and blades for the HRB for about $65 all in, so we'll see if replacing the rear wheels, etc helps anything. I'm with you on the drive mechanism, heard it's kind of a bear to deal with, but I cleaned it out pretty well this past weekend and it felt like it was working better.

Carnut1971 wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:
Just pull the trigger on the least expensive Honda mower (about $300) and be done with it for the next 20 + years. I purchased one in 1999 and it still starts the first or second time every time! The deck is just now starting to rust, and the wheels are pretty worn down, but no issue with it in 20 years. Just an oil change each season, new plug and air filter and all good!

That's the wise and smart thing to do...but who does that? :) I'm usually pretty practical and easily live within my means, but when it comes to cars and lawn equipment, things get somewhat thrown out the window. $300 vs $650 over 15-20 years is not a huge deal to ME in this example. That said, I'm normally the guy that would 100% agree with you and say put that extra $350 in savings/stocks or pay off bills.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-25-2018 17:49
What's the difference between a K4 and a K5? Honda is giving $75 off a HRX K5. K4 must be an older model.

HRX217K4HYA - You can see a K4 in the model name. It doesn't show up in the model numbers on retail websites.

I'm considering the HRX217HYA, but wonder if anyone feels strongly about the battery start on the HZA? Pull start is supposedly easy on a Honda, but key start sounds convenient.

I'm hoping this leaf shredding with half going in the bag and half back to the ground will reduce the amount of raking leaves we need to do this autumn. Or is that expecting too much from the leaf shredding feature?

I can mow our lawns in about an hour. I assume raking by myself would take 3 to 4 hours. We have lots of deciduous trees. Hoping leaf shredding cuts down on raking.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-26-2018 04:14
Hondas start efficiently, but they do require a bit of a tug - both corollaries of the combustion efficiency of the inclined-valve OHC head.

AFAIAC, the starter-generator and battery are just more mass & shit to go wrong. But it looks like they still have a pull cord for when you find the battery's gone flat.

I can see the point tor women, who may not have the upper-body proportions of men, definitely.

You can only ask if you can have a try & see which you prefer.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-26-2018 13:08
I agree the battery just might be Honda quality and go bad.

I just read that a new generation of the HRX mower is coming out in January with a GCV200 engine. Hmmmm.... More research to do now.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-26-2018 13:48
JimmyEats wrote:
I agree the battery just might be Honda quality and go bad.

I just read that a new generation of the HRX mower is coming out in January with a GCV200 engine. Hmmmm.... More research to do now.

Nah, just go with the pull start. I've never had a problem on my HRX216 (15 yrs old, precursor to HRX217) usually starts within 2 pulls.

Thanks, that's what I thought when I first saw the $75 off offer...that a new model was coming. I was going to pick up a new model HRX earlier this month, but my dealer never called me back to tell me they came in. So, I just ordered new rear wheels, blades, spark plug, and filter for my existing 216 and it is almost like new. My rear wheels were the original and I was literally driving on plastic...ha. With the new wheels, the self propel works much better. Saved myself $500 bucks over a new 217 and couldn't be better timing with the market pulling back...off to make an IRA contrib. :)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-27-2018 06:46
Oh, if I've left the fuel in all winter and it's gone off, it does take a bit of cranking on a cold spring day. Followed by a big cloud of smoke...

But that's hardly the Honda's fault.

Generally, 1st or 2nd pull on fresh squirt.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 10:29
The updated mower next year will have a GCV200 engine with more torque. Does the current mower need more torque?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 12:01
JimmyEats wrote:
The updated mower next year will have a GCV200 engine with more torque. Does the current mower need more torque?

it doesn't NEED more torque but with all else being equal, more torque is generally a good thing, right?

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 12:59
My 10-12 year old HRR216VXA (model pic, but not my mower) has been great. Only replaced the blades 1x in that time and replaced spark plug and air filter probably 1x-2x. Only non-routine maintenance was replacement of the throttle arm ($6) as one of the plastic detents on it wore down and it wouldn't hold throttle position on bumpy section of the yard. Took 5 minutes to replace. Starts on first pull generally, even after sitting all winter. Original wheels. GREAT mower, been delighted with it.

Replaced it (but still own it) with a USED Toro Commercial Walk-Behind because my yard is a little over 1/2 acre and I was tired of spending ~1hr cutting grass each week. New mower has reduced time by 1/2 to around 1/2 hour (25-35 minutes). Very happy with it too, parts are plentiful and there's a good community to help diagnose and repair items.

JeffX wrote:
JimmyEats wrote:

it doesn't NEED more torque but with all else being equal, more torque is generally a good thing, right?

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 18:08
a commercial mower is a good choice for cutting down the cutting time.

My yard needs a leaf shredder. Leaves drop for four months.

I want a mower now for leaf shredding, but I also want the new model next spring. Hmmmmm.....

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 18:11
JimmyEats wrote:
a commercial mower is a good choice for cutting down the cutting time.

My yard needs a leaf shredder. Leaves drop for four months.

I want a mower now for leaf shredding, but I also want the new model next spring. Hmmmmm.....

I want a yard roomba that will run around vacuuming up all those damned leaves during the "falling" season.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 13:48
Yard Roomba! Brilliant. I'll take two.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2018 06:39
As long as it's not a yard Scooba.

The Alfa Romeo of FREDs.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Considering a Honda mower    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 09:40
Nick GravesX wrote:
Oh, if I've left the fuel in all winter and it's gone off, it does take a bit of cranking on a cold spring day. Followed by a big cloud of smoke...

But that's hardly the Honda's fault.

Generally, 1st or 2nd pull on fresh squirt.

That's been my experience over the last few years but all of a sudden mine won't rev, it sounds like it has a loping cam in it now. Started and ran fine the previous mow session a few weeks prior. Haven't changed the fuel. I need to get into the carb to see what's up. It's running rich - lots of smoke.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0