[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX anecdote
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: And you thought you were the intended beneficiary of the proposed lower gas mileage rules...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TheStraightPipes youtube car channel reviews
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Aston Martin Valkarie ICE (Cosworth Design)
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Dispenser Issues and Infrared Interface
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot > > Re: A few questions

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
A few questions [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 10:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Thanks as always Jeff!

I'm assuming you only drove the 9AT version? Were there any changes to the 6AT?

Did the interior materials overall seem improved? One of the things I noticed going from a new Odyssey into a Pilot was that the Pilot seemed cheaper inside overall. Like...the plastics and switchgear were harder/cheaper somehow - which is hard to explain unless you're sitting in the seat I guess.

Would you be comfortable recommending the 9AT version to someone who tows a lot?

Did Honda say what kind of aftermarket brake controller they installed?

(I'm trying to get my sister in law to buy a Pilot and they have a boat so I'm interested.)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: A few questions [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2018 16:03
Fitdad wrote:
Thanks as always Jeff!

Did the interior materials overall seem improved? One of the things I noticed going from a new Odyssey into a Pilot was that the Pilot seemed cheaper inside overall. Like...the plastics and switchgear were harder/cheaper somehow - which is hard to explain unless you're sitting in the seat I guess.

Would you be comfortable recommending the 9AT version to someone who tows a lot?

(I'm trying to get my sister in law to buy a Pilot and they have a boat so I'm interested.)

I should have taken a photo of the brake controller. I'm sure it's a fairly standard one. They did not have any 6AT versions available for us to drive, unfortunately.

I think the short and tightly spaced gearing of the 9AT would be an advantage for really steep ramps and long hill climbs. The question is how reliable is it over time? That I don't know, but it is rated at the same capacity as the 6AT even though the 9AT trims are slightly heavier.

The Honda test engineers with whom I've held conversations on this topic have all told me that AHM is quite conservative on their tow ratings. They have some rather challenging scenarios that the vehicles have to pass to achieve the rated tow capacities and it's not all about durability but also capability (traction).

Last edited by JeffX on 10-23-2018 16:04
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: A few questions [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 11:12
JeffX wrote:
Fitdad wrote:
Thanks as always Jeff!

I should have taken a photo of the brake controller. I'm sure it's a fairly standard one. They did not have any 6AT versions available for us to drive, unfortunately.

I think the short and tightly spaced gearing of the 9AT would be an advantage for really steep ramps and long hill climbs. The question is how reliable is it over time? That I don't know, but it is rated at the same capacity as the 6AT even though the 9AT trims are slightly heavier.

The Honda test engineers with whom I've held conversations on this topic have all told me that AHM is quite conservative on their tow ratings. They have some rather challenging scenarios that the vehicles have to pass to achieve the rated tow capacities and it's not all about durability but also capability (traction).

Thank you Jeff!!!!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: A few questions [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 15:59
JeffX wrote:
Fitdad wrote:
Thanks as always Jeff!

Still a doggone gear in the 9AT.

I just wish they'd offer paddle shifters in the Ridgeline's 6AT.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: A few questions [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-26-2018 12:02
That gauge cluster needed that upgrade badly. The outgoing one looked so cheap it was amazing.
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: A few questions [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-26-2018 13:36
DCR wrote:
That gauge cluster needed that upgrade badly. The outgoing one looked so cheap it was amazing.

I need to sit in a 2019 Pilot to see but I remember going from a new Odyssey to a pre-MMC Pilot and being really surprised at how much cheaper the Pilot felt. Surfaces, switchgear, finish details - everything. Hopefully they’ve addressed some of that in the new one.

ding
Profile for ding
Re: A few questions [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-27-2018 08:57
I prefer the Ascent
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: A few questions [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-29-2018 18:46
DCR wrote:

I dunno, I disagree. The "old" one has more analog gauges and is less gaudy (more monochrome). I sort of like it in my Ridgeline.

The one upgrade I wish I had was the on dash VTM torque dynamic display.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0