[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Engineering Explained on the CTR and its motor
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: evo's best Japanese cars, 5 new, 5 old
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Switch Wheels 2019 RDX Tech to Advance ????
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Teslaís "Full Self Driving" Scam coming to light
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Dirt on Clean Electric Cars
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T (And 2.0 CTR)
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019/2020 Honda FR GT500
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
loveturtle
Profile for loveturtle
Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 14:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Yesterday I said goodbye to my 08 TL-S 6MT and hello to a new companion.
I just couldn't wait any longer for them to come out with an exciting car. The next TLX-S sounds promising but consider me defeated after the last 10 years of crackhead designers and bird faces and fwd proportions.

A while ago I had a TLX A-Spec loaner and other than the great interior lighting what a boring and awful driving experience. Something you'd buy for your grandma.

sivikvtec
Profile for sivikvtec
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 15:06
Nice! Thatís probably the best car BMW makes right now.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 15:32
Nice Bimmer.

Did you try the SH-AWD version?

s2ktaxi
Profile for s2ktaxi
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 17:57
loveturtle wrote:
I just couldn't wait any longer for them to come out with an exciting car. The next TLX-S sounds promising but consider me defeated after the last 10 years of crackhead designers and bird faces and fwd proportions.

A while ago I had a TLX A-Spec loaner and other than the great interior lighting what a boring and awful driving experience. Something you'd buy for your grandma.

Congrats! I've been tempted by the M2 as well but can't bring myself to pull the trigger on BMW reliability...

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 19:40
Nice BMW!
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 19:59
Looks beautiful! Make sure you get the matching HotWheels or Matchbox!

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 20:25
sivikvtec wrote:
Nice! Thatís probably the best car BMW makes right now.

+1

Best car BMW sells right now for someone who truly loves driving.

SC

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 21:09
It's so hard to find a clean TL-S 6MT anywhere in the country. Congrats on the new car!
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 03:06
Fantastic car.

I have liked the M2 since it debuted and can't believe it is now roughly the size of the E36 M3.

I am really interested in it with the debut of the M2 Competition, which I think, would be the type of car to buy and keep for a really long time.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 03:49
Love the color

Must confess there are two cars that put a smile on my face testing them in 2018.

A used 6 cylinder Cayman S (2015 or 2016?), and a 2017 used BMW M2.

Enjoy your ride , that s a rocket. Super cars of just yesterday level of speed and chassis. Chassis made me check my pants, this is a great track car.

Awesome

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 05:57
Sweet. Love the M2. It is a fantastic driver's car.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 07:05
TonyEX wrote:
Nice Bimmer.

lol. Tony, you really need to get out there and drive something else...like loveturtle's car.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 07:07
Beautiful car, loveturtle. Good luck with it and enjoy it! Long Beach Blue is a gorgeous color, too.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 09:09
Nice color and choice loveturtle. Did the Stinger ever cross your mind or were you set on the BMW?
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 11:02
loveturtle wrote:

Congrats! Looks like you went DCT...how do you like?

A couple more years and I may have to look at a nicely used M2 or M2 Comp. I haven't actually driven one yet, but I'm sure they are a blast.

Enjoy!

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 18:40
TonyEX wrote:
Nice Bimmer.

This car is in a totally different league vs any SH-AWD equipped car and this is coming from someone who owns a SH-AWD TL. The TLX SH-AWD is ok at beast but my loaner felt softer vs even my TL. Itís time for you to sampled something OUTSIDE of the Honda/Acura realm as there are some great driving products out there. Iíd like to find something thatíll replace my TL but currently NOTHING Acura offers is up to par. The next gen TLX sounds promising but its nearly a year away.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 19:23
Civicb18 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Nice Bimmer.

This car is in a totally different league vs any SH-AWD equipped car and this is coming from someone who owns a SH-AWD TL. The TLX SH-AWD is ok at beast but my loaner felt softer vs even my TL. Itís time for you to sampled something OUTSIDE of the Honda/Acura realm as there are some great driving products out there. Iíd like to find something thatíll replace my TL but currently NOTHING Acura offers is up to par. The next gen TLX sounds promising but its nearly a year away.

I was just curious, but SH-AWD does solve a number of issues. For one thing, the car is much more balanced around turns.

Your TL SH-AWD was that way.

Yes, the Bimmer M is actually a very good driving car, that's an M? I've driven- for short drives- a couple of M3s- and ridden another -also M3- as well.

But, honestly, I have no desire of a sport sedan anymore. We'll likely go with the FCEV/iMMD route on one side and we'll go with something like a CTR on the other. Up in the air is if we can afford a third car, and that would be a Ridgeline/Pilot... my wife prefers the smaller RDX.

And, not really, I do drive other people's cars when they let me and sometimes when we fly together on vacation we'll rent something interesting. I don't know what my wife rented for us this next weekend, but I think she said it was AWD.

Also, I got those days of luxo rentals from the Clarity. I might check out some Caddies. It would be a great trip to Vegas.

Fundamentally, though, I'm fine with the subsidies. I know my Hondas and we're fine with that. My built in fridge just died -actually it was working but finding parts was impossible- so we just got another one installed. It's only half in, and the cost of getting a built in 48" fridge pays for a lot of Bimmer car payments.

Oh, btw, I did like the Subaru Outback. Not fast, but if we move to the Puget Sound, 75 mph is about as fast as you can go. A great handling sport car in the East side of the Puget Sound -and Portlandia- is a complete waist of time.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-09-2018 09:52
owequitit wrote:
Fantastic car.

I have liked the M2 since it debuted and can't believe it is now roughly the size of the E36 M3.

I am really interested in it with the debut of the M2 Competition, which I think, would be the type of car to buy and keep for a really long time.

True and the new 3 is now the size of the 5 from that same era.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-09-2018 10:36
TonyEX wrote:
Nice Bimmer.

I m not pilot, but with my average gentleman speeder pace, I can just tell the M2 is "BRUTAL".

Almost lost it in my first roundabout acceleration (on the dry), the tyres and computers did their job, without them it would have been my first totalled used car tester.

I would not advise many cars, but a M2, a Cayman S (never tried the 4 cyminders/ only the flat 6 S), and also perhaps a Meserati GT (you can find some at 55k used with a manual tranny/but beware of the maintenance and repair costs/ no need to explain...).

If your agenda allows for it, and you fancy a good test drive. Those three are my humble last favorites.

But my money would go to a used 100 k already recalled NSX 2 or a Type R (if my partner would allow me, but the looks are impossible for her/was hoping to import an ILX type S, but another lost car from our brand).

Really if you love cake it is good also from time to time some cookies or caviar, even if it s just for some hours or a week end :)

loveturtle
Profile for loveturtle
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-10-2018 12:06
cksi1372 wrote:

A couple more years and I may have to look at a nicely used M2 or M2 Comp. I haven't actually driven one yet, but I'm sure they are a blast.

Enjoy!

It's insane. I do miss the manual.. how can you not? It's so engaging and satisfying. That said, how could I pass up the opportunity to daily drive this kind of performance oriented DCT? I've been considering the pros and cons in the back of my mind since the M2 came out. Neither choice would ever be perfect and a part of me would always wish I went the other way no matter what I got but I think I'm happier with the DCT.

The shifts in the DCT are just unbelievable, it's really an experience. I also like the fact that when you're stopped you're just in neutral and you don't creep forward you just roll.. Feels like a manual in that regard. I just roll backward out of my driveway the same as I did with the MT.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2018 01:20
Lovely car and a huge upgrade man, congrats! Heard a lot of good things of the M2. I don't know my M2 much but is that the new competition model with the detuned M3/4 engine? That engine is sick.

Having said that, I don't recall Acura making anything like the M2 ever in the past in terms of driving fun, RWD, and performance. The closest is probably the ITR but I bet your M2 is way more comfortable. I guess I just don't see the point of waiting for Acura as I don't think they are into making this type of cars. The closest you can get is a Honda, not an Acura - the CTR.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2018 06:45
^ Not a Competition model but still excellent and beautiful. I'd like to think the OP got a good deal with the Competition hitting the shores now.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-12-2018 09:48
loveturtle wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:

Enjoy!

It's insane. I do miss the manual.. how can you not? It's so engaging and satisfying. That said, how could I pass up the opportunity to daily drive this kind of performance oriented DCT? I've been considering the pros and cons in the back of my mind since the M2 came out. Neither choice would ever be perfect and a part of me would always wish I went the other way no matter what I got but I think I'm happier with the DCT.

The shifts in the DCT are just unbelievable, it's really an experience. I also like the fact that when you're stopped you're just in neutral and you don't creep forward you just roll.. Feels like a manual in that regard. I just roll backward out of my driveway the same as I did with the MT.

Thx for the insight on the DCT. I test drove an 11 M3 a few years ago with DCT and it just felt weird to me and really didn't remind me of a manual...but what does other than the real thing. :) I realize that's a 7 year old model and DCT's have probably gotten even better. It sounds like the one in your M2 is quite satisfying. Magazines do sing their praises, so will have to try both DCT and manual if I go the M2 route. I was going to do a manual in my 11 335i, but I was leaving an 08 Civic Si and the BMW manual vs the Si wasn't even close, so went ZF 6 auto, which wasn't actually too bad of a slushbox.

I've always been a BMW fan and smaller, more "tossable" vehicle kinda person (M2 is perfect I think), but after doing an AMG driving school this past summer, I'm kinda in an AMG trance for now. The C63S is a beast and sounds phenomenal and surprisingly the SLC43 was blast to drive around COTA. The GTR...wowser.

If you haven't already done so, look into the BMW Car Club. Pretty good discounts, etc and their club magazine, Roundel, is great. Also, BMW runs "M-Track Days" across the country and you can flog around in some M cars all day for $750...they fill up pretty quick, however.

Have fun with your M2!

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-12-2018 12:31
Congrats on the new ride! The TL-S is one of my favourite cars and the M2 seems to be a real joy to drive from what I know. I was wondering, how is the driving position in the M2? I've heard reports of the driving position being skewed a bit to one side due to safety regs in the US. I'm not sure if it is accurate but I've seen a couple vids about it.

Sounds like you are having fun though so enjoy the drive.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-12-2018 19:01
Paddles...

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0