[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Engineering Explained on the CTR and its motor
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: evo's best Japanese cars, 5 new, 5 old
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Switch Wheels 2019 RDX Tech to Advance ????
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla’s "Full Self Driving" Scam coming to light
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Dirt on Clean Electric Cars
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T (And 2.0 CTR)
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019/2020 Honda FR GT500
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 09:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Carmaker’s ‘just-in-time’ production would be hit if UK leaves the EU customs union

Article

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 12:48
Sorry, I could not open the article.
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 12:54

This one works...

https://www.ft.com/content/8f46b0d4-77b6-11e8-8e67-1e1a0846c475

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 12:58

Oops... Well, it works when accessed directly from Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Honda+faces+the+real+cost+of+Brexit+in+a+former+Spitfire+plant++&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 15:07

Can't they just build the damn thing in the UK instead?

outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 15:43
This isn't just Honda, but you have to wonder about the wisdom of modern supply chains spanning several continents and jurisdictions, that assume zero geopolitical or environmental risks or impacts forever.

If you gave that sort of arrangement to an engineer doing a system safety analysis (IE points of failure that cause your airplane or nuclear reactor to go down), it would look like you were asking for trouble.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 17:56
This could be one of the things that has a significant impact on the plans for the next-gen Civic (and ILX). I heard a rumor that the 5-door Civic-based ILX (Integra) that had been planned was already scrubbed due to Brexit risks.

The current 5-door Civic could be the last Honda built in the UK.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 19:16
JeffX wrote:
This could be one of the things that has a significant impact on the plans for the next-gen Civic (and ILX). I heard a rumor that the 5-door Civic-based ILX (Integra) that had been planned was already scrubbed due to Brexit risks.

Sad, and not only for the customers. Now that Honda was starting to sale some cars again in EU...

I understand that it is better for Honda to import them from Japan than source them from UK in case of "hard Brexit" as EU would have then ŕ better treaty with Japan than with the UK...

Holly sh...., this could also mean the current type r is the last Civic 5 doors type r....

Collector cars....

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-07-2018 19:55
The whole country of Japan manufacturers has decided as a group to stop production in the UK because of Brexit.
Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 03:42
RolledaNsx wrote:
The whole country of Japan manufacturers has decided as a group to stop production in the UK because of Brexit.

very concerning

And what is their plan B? Transfer the factories to EU or import from friendly countries (for E+U) like Canada and Japan?

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 04:41
Glad to see the link works now. And you guys are right, it's not just Honda who's concerned, it's also Toyota and Nissan. At the moment all things look like and hard exit and then the delivery chain has severe issues - let one small supplier file out an customs document a bit wrong, then it's stuck for several days and if things run bad, will hold the whole production. (I worked for an electronics distributor before, supplying Lear Corp. who made seatings for BMW. Once we had severe troubles getting a certain Microcontroller from ATMEL corp. which then lead to the risk of a linedown at Lear and likewise BMW. They would have charged approx 1.2 Million Euros per day if we couldn't get the parts in time - so in the end our office manager drove several hundred kms in his car to get the parts from Atmel directly to the customer).

IMHO, Honda might consider shifting production back to Japan and exporting from there as Japan recently signed a free trade deal with the EU. I doubt they would build up another production site within the EU, as it's too costly and takes too long time. On the other hand, if they wait a little, probably they could take over some Opel plants, which PSA might sell out.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 05:53
That article is from June, we're f months on from that and I'd say the situation is more pressing and if it were to be written now it would look like a exit plan for all manufacturers.

Weakening the EU by removing UK.... well played Russia.... well played.....

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 10:17
outersquare wrote:
This isn't just Honda, but you have to wonder about the wisdom of modern supply chains spanning several continents and jurisdictions, that assume zero geopolitical or environmental risks or impacts forever.

If you gave that sort of arrangement to an engineer doing a system safety analysis (IE points of failure that cause your airplane or nuclear reactor to go down), it would look like you were asking for trouble.

Yeah, but it's about cost/benefit. And sometimes OEMs have no choice.

Some parts are cheaper to obtain in certain countries despite any potential looming tariffs, etc.

Others, it's a matter of stuff you simply can't get locally. For example, a significant portion of electronics PCBs and anything semiconductor related is manufactured in Asia. This isn't something that you can just randomly build a plant in North America and start pumping out price competitive (or competitive, period) products overnight.

There is also the factor of expertise for emerging technologies- as a good example, you would be surprised about exactly how difficult it could be to find an electronically controlled thermostat that actually works, cycles properly and lives for the life of the vehicle. Much of the "local" supply base in North America, for example, is fucking garbage (Minus the guys over at a company that rhymes with "Brant", who are very good but they don't have much in electronic t-stats). If you want a decent supplier you have to look to Japan or Germany or slightly more obscure places like Israel.

Keep in mind that up until a few years ago, the world was *relatively* stable. OEMs were moving to have final vehicle assembly being done more on a local basis because at that point it was mostly currency fluctuations having a broad effect. But a couple of recent environmental disasters and the incredibly hostile political atmosphere right now probably has the OEMs rethinking their policies too.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-09-2018 09:59
Mikgtir wrote:
JeffX wrote:

Sad, and not only for the customers. Now that Honda was starting to sale some cars again in EU...

I understand that it is better for Honda to import them from Japan than source them from UK in case of "hard Brexit" as EU would have then ŕ better treaty with Japan than with the UK...

Holly sh...., this could also mean the current type r is the last Civic 5 doors type r....

Collector cars....

I think I've said it before, but imho what Honda should do is leverage their present experience in Mexico, together with their existing motorbike operations in Iberia, and bring European car manufacturing to Spain.

Spain:
- Already has a skilled car manufacturing manpower (it's one of the continent's largest makers), which also happens to be relatively cheap.
- Has better connections with both continental Europe and the rest of the world, both by land and sea.
- Has had a long history of pro-automakers governments, regardless of their political colour.
- Is perhaps the most pro-European country of all the big boys; Spain will only get out of the EU if the EU disolves.
- It's inside the Euro zone, which has additional advantages when coming from the GPB.

I would have loved to lead that idea, but unfortunately I am still commited to building my Nuclear Power Plants ... :) :) :)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-10-2018 09:18
I could more likely foresee Honda expanding their Turkish plant, than building a new one in Spain.

Slovakia seems quite keen to attract new car plants, too.

Restless
Profile for Restless
Re: Honda faces the real cost of Brexit in a former Spitfire plant    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2018 06:11
BG wrote:
That article is from June, we're f months on from that and I'd say the situation is more pressing and if it were to be written now it would look like a exit plan for all manufacturers.

Weakening the EU by removing UK.... well played Russia.... well played.....

Do you imply that Theresa May actually was born Tatyana Majkovskaya with current rank of colonel in FSB?

j/k

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0