[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Engineering Explained on the CTR and its motor
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: evo's best Japanese cars, 5 new, 5 old
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Switch Wheels 2019 RDX Tech to Advance ????
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Teslaís "Full Self Driving" Scam coming to light
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Dirt on Clean Electric Cars
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T (And 2.0 CTR)
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019/2020 Honda FR GT500
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > HR-V/Vezel > > Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
hooked
Profile for hooked
Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-01-2018 20:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I was looking for a new car and had pretty much ruled out the HR-V but just for completeness, I went to the dealer to test drive it. Sales guy said that the new ones fly off the lot as soon as the truck delivers them so he had none in stock. He said he had a couple of used ones if we really wanted to drive it. I said yes, so I get in the vehicle and itís obviously been sitting there for a while because there was a thick layer of dust on the dashboard, the windshield was all smeared and it had that sickening strawberry protectant/air freshener scent. I turned the car on and plumes of dust came flying out of the vents as the a/c kicked in. Not a good start.

I take off and the car felt like all the fun had been sucked out of it. It was like being attacked by a Dementor from Harry Potter. That definitely made up my mind about it.

I had already test driven the Nissan Kicks that has just 125 hp engine and that felt peppier than the HR-V.

I ended up buying a Kia Niro Hybrid.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-01-2018 21:12
hooked wrote:
I was looking for a new car and had pretty much ruled out the HR-V but just for completeness, I went to the dealer to test drive it. Sales guy said that the new ones fly off the lot as soon as the truck delivers them so he had none in stock. He said he had a couple of used ones if we really wanted to drive it. I said yes, so I get in the vehicle and itís obviously been sitting there for a while because there was a thick layer of dust on the dashboard, the windshield was all smeared and it had that sickening strawberry protectant/air freshener scent. I turned the car on and plumes of dust came flying out of the vents as the a/c kicked in. Not a good start.

I take off and the car felt like all the fun had been sucked out of it. It was like being attacked by a Dementor from Harry Potter. That definitely made up my mind about it.

I had already test driven the Nissan Kicks that has just 125 hp engine and that felt peppier than the HR-V.

Very true, and the sad thing is that Honda didn't grab the capable 1.5T off the shelf for the MMC and put it into service in the HR-V.

And while they are at it, how about the 2.0T in a Sport version?

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-01-2018 21:16
hooked wrote:

Congrats on your Niro. Interesting car that's nicely priced.. not really fair that you came to a conclusion after driving a used one.. but the CVT and L15 is a pretty lathargic combination... HRV with the 6spd manual is actually really fun to drive, Honda won't change the engine since these puppies are flying off the dealership

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-01-2018 23:40
Twiz wrote:
hooked wrote:

Congrats on your Niro. Interesting car that's nicely priced.. not really fair that you came to a conclusion after driving a used one.. but the CVT and L15 is a pretty lathargic combination... HRV with the 6spd manual is actually really fun to drive, Honda won't change the engine since these puppies are flying off the dealership

All HR-Vs have a 140hp R18 actually.

I test drove a 2018 HR-V (CVT) earlier this year that actually felt more energetic than any of the previous HR-Vs that I had driven previously. It still wasn't fast or even quick, but at least it didn't feel like as much of a dog as the ones I had tried earlier. It was just in that "acceptable" zone, but barely. The 1.5T would be a huge upgrade, but for whatever reason the 1.5T won't work with the AWD, so it could only be offered as a FWD model right now. I imagine the next-gen HR-V will take care of this.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2018 02:23
Twiz wrote:
hooked wrote:

The R18 isn't what I would call a stellar engine anyway, but IMO, 90% of the problem comes down to transmission programming. It took me about 7,000 miles to really understand it, but the transmission just does NOT give up the engine revs like it needs to in order to be reasonably responsive. For instance, if you are cruising in steady state driving at say...50 MPH and you need to speed up to 60MPH. If you give it a moderate dose of throttle, the revs come up from about 1500RPM very slowly to whatever value the computer determines you actually need at that throttle setting. And by very slowly, I am talking maybe a couple hundred revs per second. So by the time you actually get any thrust, it is to late.

That leaves the only other option to get really aggressive with the throttle and then it will delay and slowly increase the revs for a second, and then will zing to the power peak. There isn't really a smooth increase in revs. I know that Honda tried to do this in the interest of MPG, but it really, really, kills any little bit of response the powertrain would have had. It does MUCH better in Sport mode or when using the paddle shifters in Sport mode because the transmission is much more aggressive about getting to where it needs to be in order to deliver the requested performance. The problem is that if you aren't using the paddle shifters, then it sits there about 1000-1500RPM higher than where you need to be in normal cruising, so you end up flipping the selector between D and S modes. Interstingly, driving around in "S" or using the paddle shifter doesn't seem to really adversely affect MPG much, and I have actually produced the best results in "S" mode with manual gear selection. I don't dare touch "ECO" mode as it is relatively unsafe to be honest.

Of course, the downside to any of this is that the R18 just does NOT like to rev in any capacity, so it is never a pleasure to get on it, even when it is responding like it should.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2018 03:15
owequitit wrote:
Twiz wrote:
hooked wrote:

The R18 isn't what I would call a stellar engine anyway, but IMO, 90% of the problem comes down to transmission programming. It took me about 7,000 miles to really understand it, but the transmission just does NOT give up the engine revs like it needs to in order to be reasonably responsive. For instance, if you are cruising in steady state driving at say...50 MPH and you need to speed up to 60MPH. If you give it a moderate dose of throttle, the revs come up from about 1500RPM very slowly to whatever value the computer determines you actually need at that throttle setting. And by very slowly, I am talking maybe a couple hundred revs per second. So by the time you actually get any thrust, it is to late.

That leaves the only other option to get really aggressive with the throttle and then it will delay and slowly increase the revs for a second, and then will zing to the power peak. There isn't really a smooth increase in revs. I know that Honda tried to do this in the interest of MPG, but it really, really, kills any little bit of response the powertrain would have had. It does MUCH better in Sport mode or when using the paddle shifters in Sport mode because the transmission is much more aggressive about getting to where it needs to be in order to deliver the requested performance. The problem is that if you aren't using the paddle shifters, then it sits there about 1000-1500RPM higher than where you need to be in normal cruising, so you end up flipping the selector between D and S modes. Interstingly, driving around in "S" or using the paddle shifter doesn't seem to really adversely affect MPG much, and I have actually produced the best results in "S" mode with manual gear selection. I don't dare touch "ECO" mode as it is relatively unsafe to be honest.

Of course, the downside to any of this is that the R18 just does NOT like to rev in any capacity, so it is never a pleasure to get on it, even when it is responding like it should.

Yeah, I think that's part of the reason that the newer HR-Vs that I sampled felt a little better. The transmission and throttle logic was a bit more eager to please than some of the earlier examples that I drove. I've noticed similar "improvements" in other Honda and Acura models when simply comparing vehicles that are only a few model years apart, though there's no difference in the actual specification.

I've always liked the HR-V, but the powertrain was the dealbreaker for me. I'd definitely allow it with the 1.5T and a sported up AWD system.

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2018 05:11
Correct, I was thinking about the L15 on clarity lol.

They should've at least put the R20 in the HRV

Tastycakes
Profile for Tastycakes
Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-10-2018 23:23
JeffX wrote:
owequitit wrote:
Twiz wrote:
hooked wrote:

Yeah, I think that's part of the reason that the newer HR-Vs that I sampled felt a little better. The transmission and throttle logic was a bit more eager to please than some of the earlier examples that I drove. I've noticed similar "improvements" in other Honda and Acura models when simply comparing vehicles that are only a few model years apart, though there's no difference in the actual specification.

I've always liked the HR-V, but the powertrain was the dealbreaker for me. I'd definitely allow it with the 1.5T and a sported up AWD system.

Programming is definitely not it's strong suit. Granted, we avg 30-32mpg, little more than our old 2012 Civic LX (28/29mpg) for same motor (r18/5AT wasn't much more fun). It just does not rev up sometimes! I go WOT, and no joke, the revs peg at like 4krpm.

The CVT is extremely responsive up up-shifting, a slight back off the throttle and it instantly drops the revs but it still boggles my mind that the revs can be programmed to stick at 4k some times with WOT, econ on or off. Give me redline or give me death! I honestly don't know what econ does in this thing either and the Green/White econ ring is meaning less. It turns White under normal easy driving.

Like any Honda CVT I've owned (10' Insight, 16' Civic 1.5t, 18' HR-V), if you need to go, don't touch the shifter, go WOT, wait second, go down a gear in the shifter, wait a second, go down another gear if needed. The Insight was easy to get 100% out of it... Shift into "1st" with paddles, go wide open, as soon as it hits the redline and before it goes into "2nd", pop it into D and the little hamster under the hood would stick right at the redline ^_^

I still love this cheap awesome little crossover tho. With a new baby, needed a cheap SUV and this fits the bill. Just have to settle on "meh" powertrain until they update or trade in for a CR-V when lease is up.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2018 00:49
Tastycakes wrote:
JeffX wrote:
owequitit wrote:
Twiz wrote:
hooked wrote:

Programming is definitely not it's strong suit. Granted, we avg 30-32mpg, little more than our old 2012 Civic LX (28/29mpg) for same motor (r18/5AT wasn't much more fun). It just does not rev up sometimes! I go WOT, and no joke, the revs peg at like 4krpm.

The CVT is extremely responsive up up-shifting, a slight back off the throttle and it instantly drops the revs but it still boggles my mind that the revs can be programmed to stick at 4k some times with WOT, econ on or off. Give me redline or give me death! I honestly don't know what econ does in this thing either and the Green/White econ ring is meaning less. It turns White under normal easy driving.

Like any Honda CVT I've owned (10' Insight, 16' Civic 1.5t, 18' HR-V), if you need to go, don't touch the shifter, go WOT, wait second, go down a gear in the shifter, wait a second, go down another gear if needed. The Insight was easy to get 100% out of it... Shift into "1st" with paddles, go wide open, as soon as it hits the redline and before it goes into "2nd", pop it into D and the little hamster under the hood would stick right at the redline ^_^

I still love this cheap awesome little crossover tho. With a new baby, needed a cheap SUV and this fits the bill. Just have to settle on "meh" powertrain until they update or trade in for a CR-V when lease is up.

It is mind boggling. Then there are other times that you barely make a throttle change (for like a small 3-5MPH acceleration in traffic, and the revs are pretty aggressive at increasing). It's pretty infernal to be honest. I do like that the powertrain is pretty much non-existent in steady state cruising below about 50MPH though. If you can maintain speed, it will give back pretty good MPG and is smooth and fluid. It is just outside of that cruising mode that it starts to fall apart.

I do agree on it being a great little vehicle though. For instance, the multi-angle reclining rear seat back is sort of a neat feature you wouldn't expect in such a vehicle. I also think it has really good paint quality, although some of the trim pieces on the outside of ours don't fit very well.

But the quality and flexibility of the car are pretty fantastic for the size. If the powertrain were better, it would be such a runaway hit, I think Honda would have cornered the market segment.

Restless
Profile for Restless
Re: Test drove a used 2017 HR-V and it was horrible    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2018 04:33
Twiz wrote:
Correct, I was thinking about the L15 on clarity lol.

They should've at least put the R20 in the HRV

The sad truth is that here in Europe, HR-V is using L15 ...
Then some people wonder why sales flopped after going up initially :(

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0