[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 MotoGP
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Engineering Explained on the CTR and its motor
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: evo's best Japanese cars, 5 new, 5 old
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Switch Wheels 2019 RDX Tech to Advance ????
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Teslaís "Full Self Driving" Scam coming to light
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Dirt on Clean Electric Cars
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T (And 2.0 CTR)
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019/2020 Honda FR GT500
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
CygnusX1
Profile for CygnusX1
02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-24-2018 00:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hi, my 2002 Accord V6 EX Coupe has recently started stalling out, It tends to do it more on inclines and long,sharp turns, seems to do it more on days with higher humidity out.
I'll go to give it some gas and I'll feel the pedal go to far and then notice I'm just loosing speed and rev'ing up a little and then the engine dies and I have a few seconds to dump in in neutral, and 5-10 seconds to get it to the side of the road before it completely powers off on me. Every single time is starts right back up and strong at that. No grinding sounds or anything like that.

First off,I'm pretty sure its not the ignition switch. I've dealt many an hours troubleshooting an ignition switch and cylinder and no fails when jigging the key.
I've checked my air filter and that and the passage ways are all clean. Suppose I could open it back up and spray some Mass Air Flow cleaner in there.
I've had the car for 5 months now and its only started doing this the last 6 weeks.
I plan on checking my spark plugs for oil and there general age tomorrow, but if my valve covers leaking, it would be really minor since the heads are really clean.

My power steering pressure return house is leaking around the joint and it leaks down onto my accessory belt, but not enough to get it to squeak. It is however getting power steering fluid on what looks to be an engine/Power steering pump ground, could that be an issue?
I also noticed today that the main exposed ground that you see if you track the batteries negative cable is about half way corroded away.
Could be a crankshaft sensor, if It comes to it, Ill look into checking its electrical readings, Could be the main relay, I had a 98 that had a bad relay, but when that would stall on me it would typically take hours to be able to restart so I'm not thinking that. I know the ERG valve was replaced a few years ago, and don't have a rough idle at all or have racing RPM's that are commonly associated with those failures either.

Besides testing the fuel pressure,I'm not to sure where else to check, and would appreciate any help!
Thanks.

Can provide any pictures needed

OHHH on a side note, Is this transmission a CVT?

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-24-2018 07:50
I'd start with replacing the negative battery cable you mentioned is corroded and I'd spend some time cleaning the anchor point on the car shell. The problem you describe is similar to what other folks on TOV have encountered resulting from poor battery connections.

My understanding from back when we had our 6G Accord was a poor battery connection or a disconnected cable while the engine was running would cause the car to develop problems. The service techs at my dealership kept the engines running while swapping out bad batteries but they did so quickly with having the new batteries nearby and ready to go.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-24-2018 08:54
Grace141 wrote:
I'd start with replacing the negative battery cable you mentioned is corroded and I'd spend some time cleaning the anchor point on the car shell. The problem you describe is similar to what other folks on TOV have encountered resulting from poor battery connections.

My understanding from back when we had our 6G Accord was a poor battery connection or a disconnected cable while the engine was running would cause the car to develop problems. The service techs at my dealership kept the engines running while swapping out bad batteries but they did so quickly with having the new batteries nearby and ready to go.

This. My 6G Accord negative cable was corroded and I had to replace it. $10 part, 5 minute job. Itís really not protected well.

Also, have you cleaned the EGR ports in the intake manifold? I would take the entire induction system apart and clean it all out. I just did this to our 05 Ody with 210k and it made a huge difference. This maintenance needs to be done on a J30A1 every 50-60k IMO, they have awful carbon problems.

CygnusX1
Profile for CygnusX1
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-25-2018 03:32
Alright, Thanks guys I really mean it. But I'll run a new cable in a few days. I took it to my girls house, about 25 miles away and I'd usually stall 1-2 times but I gave that one power steering ground a good cleaning yesterday and had no issues today so hopefully its just that cable. I've got the FSM for my year and model so I'll give a look at cleaning the induction system. Mine just broke 200k so I'm sure it needs it.

I'll take a look under the battery terminals as well, I dealt with a floating ground on a 04 Hyundai Accent and it took like 12 hours but the problem was a slightest crack on the underside of the negative terminal.

Will report in with results!

CygnusX1
Profile for CygnusX1
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2018 20:37
UPDATE:10/4/18
So far I replaced(made) a new negative cable a few weeks ago and it still stalled. I made a few mistakes the next weekend. I cleaned up my trunk so nothing was on the fuel pump area, ran seafoam from the engine and gas tank, started running high octane gas through it, added some trans additive, taking apart the main relay and re-soldering all of the contacts and tracing them with buss wire, and cleaning out of throttle body.

That was 2 weeks ago and it's been running pretty good, I've put like 120 miles on it and it hasn't stalled or feel like it was going power off. Since I did it all in one day I can't say what, if any of it, has at least temporarily correct the problem.

The throttle body was pretty damn dirty, I couldn't see the gap around the valve with the carbon deposits on it. I also didn't have enough seafoam to properly do it, had like 1/2 a bottle and need like 3/4 but plan on doing my oil soon so I plan on doing another round and doing the vacuum line cleaning. I didn't get any of that black smoke so maybe she wasn't that dirty.

I did find service records for it going back 8 years from the last owner over the weekend and the main relay was replaced in 2014 and the fuel pump was replaced in 2015 so they "should" be okay. I did notice it looked like they used a generic fuel pump if thats a thing because the wires going to the pump were spliced together and electrical taped. I'm the kinda guy who carries more tools in my trunk then I do in my house and I could have been shorting those out for a split second with the box of sockets and wrenches sitting directly on top of it!

I did buy an idle air valve control gasket so I could clean that but It wasn't idling rough or have other symptoms of them being cleaned so I might wait of on that.

But is there anything other things I should check and clean up that I haven't already?

Thanks guys!

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2018 22:02
The old-school answer here is your car is running fine so don't second guess it. I'd still keep an eye on everything. You may now know why the previous owner sold the car. Of the things you mentioned, I would have bet your touching up the soldier joints in the relay is why the car is running fine now but most folks here say a bad main relay results in difficult starting.

I thought the stalling problem sounded like an electrical issue but I guess it could have been a fuel supply problem such as clogged injectors or sensors. The shop that replaced the fuel pump should have done that job correctly with sorting everything related. The '98-'02 Accords used a lifetime fuel filter so there isn't a change interval for it. Perhaps the Seafoam treatment you ran reduced some of the carbon deposits as Chris mentioned.

I just noticed your original post asked about the transmission. Your V6/automatic Accord would have the 4-speed overdrive transmission.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 01:48
Didn't the throttle body stick really bad on those years anyway? My parent's 99 did for sure.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 04:39
I figure dumping some choke cleaner down its gizzard is an annual item on modern cars, unless you want an irritatingly jerky throttle action.

Actually, the Toyota 86 seems more prone to the carbon ring than the Hondas do, possibly because of oil surge in the boxer engine.

But if you've done battery earth, engine earth, main relay, TB, fuel pump, you've probably only the ignition leads and dizzy left to do and you've covered 99% of Honda stalling issues for any model!

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 07:37
NSXman wrote:
Didn't the throttle body stick really bad on those years anyway? My parent's 99 did for sure.

Yes. And the EGR ports in the manifold clogged every 50k miles. And they ate main relays. Not the most trouble free Honda, but super easy to work on...I got mine to 250k.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 13:42
Nick GravesX wrote:
I figure dumping some choke cleaner down its gizzard is an annual item on modern cars, unless you want an irritatingly jerky throttle action.

Actually, the Toyota 86 seems more prone to the carbon ring than the Hondas do, possibly because of oil surge in the boxer engine.

But if you've done battery earth, engine earth, main relay, TB, fuel pump, you've probably only the ignition leads and dizzy left to do and you've covered 99% of Honda stalling issues for any model!

The best maintenance is to lease it and get a new one. ;-)

It's hard replacing them wipers.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 15:37
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

there's TonyEX, always pumping sales volume! lol

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 16:35
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

And here we are with our 2000 Accord, going on 19 years.
I did have to recharge the A/C this year. Sigh......

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 17:11
NSXman wrote:

We had that on my wife's 99 Accord 4-cyl. After several expensive "flushings" by the dealer I started buying better gasoline, mainly Shell. Top Tier wasn't a thing back then but I'm sure it's the quality of the gas. The math was simple. Flushing was a heckuva lot more expensive than the costlier Shell gas.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-10-2018 19:33
superchg2 wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

And here we are with our 2000 Accord, going on 19 years.
I did have to recharge the A/C this year. Sigh......

How can you recharge the AC?

In Calimexistan I can not find the refrigerant for recharging my home AC. I believe it's R20 and it will be illegal all over the US by 2020.

I can still get it in Arizona and Nevada though (Vegas and Gran Canyon road trips!!!).

I recall that back in '95 automotive AC refrigerants changed. Recall how the MY95 Accord had a horrendous AC system? It took like 10 minutes to start pumping cold air in a hot summer day.

Anyways, replacing the AC chez moi is a non starter since I spend less than 500 bucks a year to run it. The replacement would cost over $20K. Aaaaaah.. the wisdom of our EPA.

CygnusX1
Profile for CygnusX1
Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 17:08
Update 10/19/18
She started to stall again about a week ago, Today it stalled out 3 times in a span of 15 miles. So I just bought a new main relay since there was some discoloration on one of the relays coils.

Put the new one in and it started right up, but my engine sounds smoother idling then with the last relay so hopefully that is it.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0