[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Engineering Explained on the CTR and its motor
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: evo's best Japanese cars, 5 new, 5 old
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Switch Wheels 2019 RDX Tech to Advance ????
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Teslaís "Full Self Driving" Scam coming to light
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Dirt on Clean Electric Cars
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T (And 2.0 CTR)
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019/2020 Honda FR GT500
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 02 Accord V6 EX Coupe Stalling!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > CR-V > > Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T (And 2.0 CTR)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
deanh
Profile for deanh
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 11:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It appears a fix is coming for this:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/honda-cr-v-plagued-by-engine-trouble/

Last edited by JeffX on 10-05-2018 12:37
TR
Profile for TR
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 12:13
Yea I was about to post this.
I surely hope they fix it under recall (free, with no expiration) and extend the warranty for ALL.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 12:44
I am interested in what caused the stall condition- excessive engine friction, excessive fluid consumption through the PCV/intake, or excessive crank windage by rising oil levels. Because I've never seen it myself.

It looks like the "fix" is to adjust fuel injection cycles on startup. That would certainly help but as the article alluded to, there really isn't a "fix" for customer behavior and I can understand why A) no mechanic has a proposed fix and B) why Honda isn't saying much. Physical changes might be improvements to the fuel injection system, a big oil pan, or PCV adjustments. I don't actually think those customers needed to change their oil that quick- they should keep the vehicle running for a while after its fully warmed up (if they haven't stalled) and then checked levels after a while.

Another thought occurred to me regarding the turbocharged nature of this engine. Under boost, some automaker PCV systems shut off the fresh-air crankcase ventilation feature (because that feature relies on intake manifold vacuum, something that doesn't exist under boost) and simply vent whatever blowby is in the engine. But doing this means that more crankcase moisture and fuel buildup since that shit isn't being moved out of the engine.

I haven't looked at a Honda 1.5T system in a long time but what some automakers are doing is either using an auxilliary fresh air route via vacuum generated by the turbos to continue to pull fresh-air ventilation through the crankcase, or (for example, Toyota uses this) a Bernoulli venturi device that generates some vacuum utilizing the blowby flow. Considering how sophisticated the 2.0T's PCV system is, I would think Honda has a similar system in the CR-V so maybe that isn't a big contributing factor.

trexdoc wrote:
wow

I recall Jeff stating that the 1.5T was thoroughly "tested" by Honda

what's wrong with Honda/CRV testing? the previous gen (15/16s) vibrated horribly at idle even when "fixed" (at least in my test drives)

I'm no mechanic/engineer - but, doesn't the addition of gasoline into the crankcase pose a fire risk? is the same problem occurring with the 2.0T?

Gasoline in the crankcase does not pose a fire risk. The PCV valve is not just a valve, but it's prevents flame fronts. What can happen though, is if for whatever reason your PCV valve breaks at the wrong time, there can be a fire risk as you stated around the cylinder head cover area. Again, this is not unique to any one engine, it's how all engines work.

It takes a lot of fuel dilution to actively hurt the engine, particularly as even though the oil is being constantly mixed, the fuel tends to float above the oil. In my experience, granted utilizing 0W-20 oil, I've had a whole liter (out of a ~5.5 liter sump) of fuel and water and it didn't do anything to the engine. From the stalling reports in the CR article there IS a possibility that some customers are experiencing this 'extreme', which is pretty nuts.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T (And 2.0 CTR)    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 12:49
garoto wrote:
garoto wrote:
Also important my car hasn't moved in two weeks, and its sitting at around 55 to 60 degree weather average which isn't necessarily "cold" weather. But it has been sitting. Not sure if that means anything with regards to the smell.

Finally, the oil on the dipstick is nice and thick, thicker than I thought considering that it wears 0W-20. I remember My CR-V's would start dripping immediately after pulling it out.

Whatever is in the oil is going to sit in your oil until you warm it up again.

Regarding oil thickness, this is the exact opposite of what you'd expect with oil dilution. I'm going to guess that you pulled dipsticks from both cars when both engines were at different temps. You either do both in the morning, before starting the engines, or you do it after both (exact same cars) have been warmed up for the same amount of time.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 15:28
TR wrote:
Yea I was about to post this.
I surely hope they fix it under recall (free, with no expiration) and extend the warranty for ALL.

I have pinged Honda for their comments on this. I should be receiving a document in the next hour or so.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 17:32
Not disputing that some folks are having issues with the 1.5T. But reading CR's piece just puts such a bad taste in my mouth and should serve as just another example of why you can't trust them anymore.

Remember that CR is front for the Consumer's Union. It was originally designed to take data from members and provide solid, quantifiable information on how a product performed, particularly in terms of reliability and durability.

They used to do a great job of this. Unfortunately, for quite some time now, they have become something quite different. Proselytizing, subjective, self-dealing. All these things describe CR.

Just look at this article. First of all, most of their "quotes" are from people internal to the organization. How is that a good idea? Quoting people in your own organization on a topic is usually a marketing gimmick for spoofing advertising masquerading as an article. Where are the quotes from outside experts on the issue?

Second, look at the people they've hired. You've now got people who used to work for the EPA, or NHTSA, as well as agenda driven think tanks/organizations. CR used to be about engineers gathering data and analyzing it to come to data driven conclusions as much as possible. Seeing the credentials on the people within the organization they consider influential enough to quote is starting to give me an understanding of why CR might have morphed into what they are now.

Finally, where is the data. They mention 3 members who had issues with the CRV. Out of how many? What percentage of owners have the issue. How many cases have been reported? How significant is this really? Certainly if you're going to title something "Plagued with problems" that would indicate a major issue.

Again, there is certainly a problem with some 1.5T in some applications in some areas. But the CR piece looks agenda driven, sensationalistic and sorely lacking in data. Shame on them.

SC

towncaptain
Profile for towncaptain
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 17:40
No doubt about CR trying to bring the worst in car companies. I do notice that the oil in my 1.5t Civic gets dark pretty fast. Even around 80% oil life, it's already as dark as my 2013 Si's with 20% oil life.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 18:04
I received the following response from Chris Martin, Honda PR.

I'm debating about whether we should put this in the rumors/news section, but for now here it is.

TO: Jeff Palmer

Below is what Honda provided to Consumer Reports related to the oil dilution issue, word for word. Hopefully this will help inform you about Hondaís position.

ďHonda has received some reports in the United States of irregularly high oil levels in certain 2017-2018 Honda CR-V vehicles equipped with 1.5-liter engines, primarily from the northern areas of the country during extreme cold weather conditions combined with short, intermittent driving. Honda has been investigating the situation and developing a remedy, which we hope to make available through authorized Honda dealers by mid-November 2018, before extreme cold weather returns to many areas of the United States. The enhancement will also be applied to the 2019 CR-V at the factory, prior to the next model year going on sale.

At this time, Honda has no reason to believe that this issue affects the safe operation of a vehicle or results in any U.S. regulatory non-compliance. We encourage customers with concerns about their individual vehicle to visit their nearest Honda dealer to have their vehicle inspected. The vehicleís warranty will apply to any related service or repairs.

If a vehicleís engine oil level remains irregularly high, even after driving for an extended distance, an oil change may be recommended in certain instances. Honda has not altered the recommended vehicle maintenance schedule in relation to this issue, and vehicle owners should continue to schedule maintenance based on the in-vehicle maintenance minder system.Ē

When they later asked why it has taken several months since the China recall to investigate this issue in the US rather than just applying the China fix to the US, I offered the response below:

ďThere are differences between vehicles and engines sold in various markets around the world, and it is prudent and appropriate to take time to properly investigate how seemingly-similar symptoms may affect those different configurations and to identify the best strategy for addressing them in each particular market. Vehicles are more complex than other consumer goods, like mobile phones, etc., and any changes must be carefully considered in light of vehicle differences, localized consumer preferences, and their potential impact on vehicle regulations in that market.

We continue to encourage any customer with concerns about their individual vehicle to visit their nearest Honda dealer to have their vehicle inspected. The vehicleís warranty will apply for any service or repairs that may be necessary now, and their Honda dealer can assist them further when the remedy is finalized later this fall. Please note that the irregular high oil level condition is not as widespread as some internet chatter may imply, and we want to reassure any concerned customers that we have no reason to believe that it affects the safe operation of a vehicle.Ē

Chris Martin

Automobile Public Relations

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

I received the above response while I was away, so I sent a brief follow up email to him from my phone

TO: Chris Martin

Is this strictly related to ECU calibration? Or are there hardware changes required?

And how does this impact the Civic and Accord models which also use the closely related 1.5T engine? "

His response was succinct:

TO: Jeff Palmer

What I provided applies to CR-V. Itís too early for me to provide any details about the remedy.

Chris Martin

Automobile Public Relations

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Last edited by JeffX on 10-05-2018 19:04
TR
Profile for TR
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 19:15
Thanks Jeff!
Glad you are on top of this.
What bothers me is that I just bought a mint 2017 CR-V Touring specifically because I believed it would hold the value really well. Now I'm questioning my decision because I'm afraid people will avoid it as plague with high mile engines

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2018 19:38
TR wrote:
Thanks Jeff!
What bothers me is that I just bought a mint 2017 CR-V Touring specifically because I believed it would hold the value really well. Now I'm questioning my decision because I'm afraid people will avoid it as plague with high mile engines

Well, my expectation is that Honda will take care of whatever problems may exist. That's how they've always done things, so far. It would indeed blow if it impacts resale, though.

Do you live in a cold climate area? If you do, I guess to be safe you could make sure the engine comes up to full temp as often as possible.

Honestly, I wouldn't think that would be too much of an issue in a vehicle the size and weight of the CR-V, especially with such a small turbocharged engine, but maybe Honda got too aggressive with the calibrations to ensure emissions compliance in those conditions, and it's resulting in this condition. If that's the case, then it makes me even more curious as to how they'll be able to fix this. Can they change the maps in such a way to cure the oil contamination without going afoul of the emissions regs? If not, this could get real sticky.

alan3885
Profile for alan3885
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-06-2018 04:42
I hope this issue isnít more widespread and hasnt surfaced with the Accords new 1.5 VTEC turbo engine since they are similar but not the same engines however they are both L-Series based engines and are both related in the same engine family. I know there not the same engine codes so they arenít the same engine used in the Accord like in the Civic and CR-V. I also donít even recall before they started turbocharging trend even in Normally Aspirated form that the L-Series family of engines did anyone ever had any history or similar issues that might be related to this problem? Itís unfortunate this issue was caught earlier and addressed for example when in engine testing and development. Hopefully Honda really gets down to this issue ASAP. Lastly I still find it strange decision from Honda not to include VTEC because that this engine outside of North America and international markets all seem to have the VTEC turbo version of these engines unlike here in United States.

alan3885
Profile for alan3885
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-06-2018 04:48
Sorry for the typo itís really unfortunate that this issue wasnít caught and addressed earlier before production because the Civic was was also the first model here in the United States to get this family of new turbocharged engines.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-06-2018 05:02
From a Kansas City perspective (pretty cold winters), I asked my Service Writer about this issue a while back, and he said that they had no real issues reported with rising oil levels.

He did say that they had one failed turbo thus far, but that was about it with the 1.5T.

deandorsey
Profile for deandorsey
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-06-2018 06:11
I live in New England, have the first 17 CRV T my dealer received and have over 60k mi. I have had no engine issues. The only time I look at the dipstick is right before and after I change the oil, I havenít noticed any oil level increase.
What I noticed last winter is gas mileage decreases about 3-5 mpg. I attribute some of that to winter gas.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-06-2018 08:39
We have about 50k miles on our 2G Fit which has been our town runabout, backup car, and now a college campus car for one of the kids. The oil level has always been spot on with the change intervals running about 8k miles so I've no complaints. I should have the valve lash checked because it's ticking a bit but otherwise it's been rock solid.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-06-2018 08:41
alan3885 wrote:
I hope this issue isnít more widespread and hasnt surfaced with the Accords new 1.5 VTEC turbo engine since they are similar but not the same engines however they are both L-Series based engines and are both related in the same engine family. I know there not the same engine codes so they arenít the same engine used in the Accord like in the Civic and CR-V. I also donít even recall before they started turbocharging trend even in Normally Aspirated form that the L-Series family of engines did anyone ever had any history or similar issues that might be related to this problem? Itís unfortunate this issue was caught earlier and addressed for example when in engine testing and development. Hopefully Honda really gets down to this issue ASAP. Lastly I still find it strange decision from Honda not to include VTEC because that this engine outside of North America and international markets all seem to have the VTEC turbo version of these engines unlike here in United States.

I think that this is something that is sensitive to powertrain calibrations, and that's why Honda has only acknowledged that some CR-Vs may be vulnerable to this point.

Also, the Accord's L15BE has VTEC

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-06-2018 12:27
As I've said, this should not be an issue if you make sure you drive your car until it's fully warmed up.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-06-2018 12:30
In addition to changing driving habit, I have 2 solutions.

1. Disable remote start -Vehicles that have remote start exacerbate this problem. I disable this shit on my car. Start engine after you get in car, wait a few seconds AFTER oil pressure builds up, then go. However, go easy on engine in the first few minutes until warms up.

Cold engine idling just dumps a lot of rich mixture into the engine. Some of it winds up in the oil and much unburned fuel comes out the pipe. Cat is not warmed up so excessive HC comes out the pipe.

Exhaust fumes reeks for the first minute. OEMs calibrate fuel to be overly rich when cold to prevent misfires. I think they have over did it to protect for drivability over emissions. There is an opportunity here for OEM to still improve - find new ways for fuel delivery and combustion to minimize rich mixtures during warm up. Mounting CATs in the exhaust manifold is one way many have done but there is still room for improvement.

2. Fool the ECM. I've worked around the system and been operating like this for 8 years. However, this solution may only be best suited for the engineers/tuner/techs.

I tapped in to my ECM wiring and put a potentiometer in parallel circuit to the engine coolant temperature. By adjusting the dash mounted potentiometer knob, I was able to lean out the mixture by fooling the ECM to read a warmer coolant temperature than actual, hence it runs leaner during warm up. It is not something for everyone because when the engine warms up, you'll need to dial back the knob. Crank it up too far during cold and you'll have driveability issue. Not turning it down after it warmed up and you'll get a check engine light (ECM thinks it has overheated). I put a hidden cut-off switch and shut the system down when someone else is driving my car. Note that running a leaner mixture when engine is cold will result in a lower idle speed. To maintain driveability, dail the knob to make sure the revs doesn't get anywhere below 800-1000. Within 5-7 minutes of driving, I shut the system down. Forget to shut it down will make the system think it is overheating.

Essentially, it operates like a manual choke on a carburetor motorcycle but it is operating in reverse to a choke because it is leaning it out instead of enrichment. Why do this? Because manufacturers prioritize driveability over emission during cold running for obvious reasons but the result is that you get fuel dilution issues. I'm not fighting physics, just fine tuning a system to run on the hairy edge of driveability during the first 5-7 minutes to minimize oil/fuel dilution and minimize dumping raw fuel out the exhaust pipe.

Read on if this system interests you.

You'll need to treat this system like a manual choke operating in reverse and requiring some adjustment in the first 5 -7 minutes and need to shut it off after warm up. Some may find it a pain in the ass but I find it entertaining. If you chose this route, pick up a service manual, find the resistance range for the coolant temp range and pick up a potentiometer (POT) that can operate in this range when you hook it up in a parallel circuit. Because of the parallel circuit, you'll have to so some simple math to find the desired resistance range for the POT. It will be impossible to find the ideal range, so you'll have to find one that is close to what you will need. For one of my cars, the resistance for the coolant temp sensor is 20K Ohms at -20 degrees F and close to Zero Ohms at +248 degrees F. I don't remember what my POT range was, perhaps 10K ohms.

One of the things I found was that a cut off switch was necessary for 2 reasons.

One is to prevent tampering from a driver unfamiliar with the intricacies of operating the system or may forget to dial back the knob as it warms up.

Second is that on a cold day (below 32F), I needed to turn off the system when starting the vehicle. It needs the OEM specified enrichment to start. However, upon starting, I could flip on the switch as long as I kept it on the lowest knob setting. By using a parallel circuit and perhaps my POT had a upper range of 10K instead of 20K, the ECM was seeing a temperature delta of +10 to 20 degrees under cold ambient conditions hence it won't start unless I flip the cutoff switch. It is a logarithmic function on the cold end of the scale so the colder it gets, the greater the temperature delta. Once the engine warms up to 180F, with the circuit engaged and the knob turned all the way down, the system is reading a couple degrees warmer due to additional parallel circuit. Flipping the switch to off will remove this temperature delta but it isn't necessary because you won't see it on the OEM temp gauge and the ECM expects minimal temp fluctuations before fails safes such as ignition retards kick in. The system can also operate as a theft deterrent by leaning out the mixture to prevent starting. It will crank but it won't start under cold ambient if you have the dial cranked up.

I removed one of the blank covers on my dash, drilled a hole and mounted a rotary knob to adjust the POT. Hide the cutout switch and wiring it in series to the potentiometer. When operating with this system, keep an eye on the temp gauge, when engine warms up to normal range, Turn the knob to the lowest setting or turn off the switch.

BTW, in case some of you are thinking this may be a tuner method to lean out the mixture during WOT (wide open throttle), it doesn't work like that because you are only fooling around with the warm up strategy. If you dial up the knob when the engine is warm, the ECM may retarded your ignition instead.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 10:03
notyper wrote:
Not disputing that some folks are having issues with the 1.5T. But reading CR's piece just puts such a bad taste in my mouth and should serve as just another example of why you can't trust them anymore.

Remember that CR is front for the Consumer's Union. It was originally designed to take data from members and provide solid, quantifiable information on how a product performed, particularly in terms of reliability and durability.

They used to do a great job of this. Unfortunately, for quite some time now, they have become something quite different. Proselytizing, subjective, self-dealing. All these things describe CR.

Just look at this article. First of all, most of their "quotes" are from people internal to the organization. How is that a good idea? Quoting people in your own organization on a topic is usually a marketing gimmick for spoofing advertising masquerading as an article. Where are the quotes from outside experts on the issue?

Second, look at the people they've hired. You've now got people who used to work for the EPA, or NHTSA, as well as agenda driven think tanks/organizations. CR used to be about engineers gathering data and analyzing it to come to data driven conclusions as much as possible. Seeing the credentials on the people within the organization they consider influential enough to quote is starting to give me an understanding of why CR might have morphed into what they are now.

Finally, where is the data. They mention 3 members who had issues with the CRV. Out of how many? What percentage of owners have the issue. How many cases have been reported? How significant is this really? Certainly if you're going to title something "Plagued with problems" that would indicate a major issue.

Again, there is certainly a problem with some 1.5T in some applications in some areas. But the CR piece looks agenda driven, sensationalistic and sorely lacking in data. Shame on them.

SC

I don't know if CR just doesn't talk to enough people, since most of their own suggestions and suppositions come from within their own organization. The only engineer they seem to have talked to was Mr. German, over at ICCT (who gave essentially the only correct take in the article). Even that is weird since Mr. German is a expert in hybridization, emissions and economy- also one of the lead players in exposing VW's dieselgate scandal.

Then again, I suppose I can't blame them for not finding anyone because even in the automotive industry, a lubrication and/or PCV engineer is a very, very rare creature. But the speculation about what this issue does to engines is not very helpful, and they still haven't done things like a analysis on why stalling could happen.

TR
Profile for TR
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 15:00
JeffX wrote:
TR wrote:
Thanks Jeff!

Well, my expectation is that Honda will take care of whatever problems may exist. That's how they've always done things, so far. It would indeed blow if it impacts resale, though.

Do you live in a cold climate area? If you do, I guess to be safe you could make sure the engine comes up to full temp as often as possible.

Honestly, I wouldn't think that would be too much of an issue in a vehicle the size and weight of the CR-V, especially with such a small turbocharged engine, but maybe Honda got too aggressive with the calibrations to ensure emissions compliance in those conditions, and it's resulting in this condition. If that's the case, then it makes me even more curious as to how they'll be able to fix this. Can they change the maps in such a way to cure the oil contamination without going afoul of the emissions regs? If not, this could get real sticky.

Yes, I live in Boston area. Today checked oil level and it's right about the High mark. Very thin too. I don't have experience with this oil grade (0-20) so not sure about viscosity but it's definitely much thinner than Si that I sold (5-30). Gonna schedule Honda dealer appointment....

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2018 15:34
TR wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TR wrote:
Thanks Jeff!

Yes, I live in Boston area. Today checked oil level and it's right about the High mark. Very thin too. I don't have experience with this oil grade (0-20) so not sure about viscosity but it's definitely much thinner than Si that I sold (5-30). Gonna schedule Honda dealer appointment....

it sounds like you should be able to get some free oil changes in the mean time.

HondaFan1
Profile for HondaFan1
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-10-2018 13:54
Would an Engine Block Heater help to mitigate this issue ? (i.e. in colder weather)
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-10-2018 14:54
Yes, in the sense that you're more likely up to temp earlier in your drive.
Danny
Profile for Danny
Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T (And 2.0 CTR)    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 21:41
Does Honda run richer maps than other manufactures? In other areas, I've seen them go the safer more conservative route than others.

a few years back the camry edged the accord on mpg ratings, I wondered if that was the reason (the tune) and Honda playing extra safe..

Wondered about ethanol blends, but that has a lower stoich afr, so that would cause it to run leaner if I'm thinking correctly.. Although the percentages here probably are not significant.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0