[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
More.......................
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
More.......................
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
More.......................
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
More.......................
2019 Civic trim change summary
More.......................
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
More.......................
Civic --> 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: 2018 Acura NSX Review - The Best Everyday Supercar
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
akal50
Profile for akal50
From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 14:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I've always driven Honda/Acura vehicles. Two 2nd gen Acura RDXs, a second gen TSX V6, two 2nd Gen TLs, and two Accords. Except for my very first Accord, I've never had a car that didn't have a 6-cylinder engine. Until now. I was in the market for a new car last December. I wanted another SUV. The MDX was too big and I couldn't wait for the 2019 RDX to arrive. So I defected to team BMW.

Although I've yet to drive the latest RDX, as someone who's driven Honda/Acura products for a long time, I thought I would give my impressions of the BMW and how it compares to Acura products.

Pros:

- The drive - It's true what they say. Once you drive a BMW, you won't want to drive anything else. I've driven Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, and obviously Acura. And while I enjoyed each of them to varying degrees, nothing compares to BMW. The handling and passing power are incredible. This is the car that makes you get speeding tickets and makes you extremely confident maneuvering in and out of traffic.

- Comfort - The driver seat just feels so much more comfortable than any Acura I've driven. Even after nearly a year, the seat still offers great support.

- Looks - Acura has never been known for being stylish, though I loved the 2nd gen TL. The X3 looks great. I've gotten more compliments on it than I ever got for my Acuras. But again, nobody buys Acura to stand out.

- Run-flat tires - Not sure if Acura offers these now, but I got a flat in my first year and it made it a lot easier to drive to a tire repair place.

- Paint - I think everyone here knows Acura uses cheap paint that chips too easily. So far, my BMW paint has held up well.

Cons:

- Technology - With Honda/Acura, everything is intuitive. You don't have to read the manual to figure out how things work. But on the BMW, it's not always straightforward. And I'm not even referring to the idiotic shifter where you press a button to park, push forward to go in reverse, and then pull back to go into drive. Also, I'm not wild about the Apple Carplay. Not sure if it's a problem with Carplay or BMW, but sometimes the system decides to use Apple's GPS instead of BMWs when I hit the Nav button. And if I get a text message while listening to the radio, after I've responded, the stereo doesn't resume. I have to manually turn it back on.

- 4 cylinder - BMW offers a V6 if you're willing to spend another 12K. I wasn't. While the 4-cylinder is plenty, it still has the problem every 4 cylinder engine has. It sounds like a toy. I'd be curious to hear the new RDX engine.

- Stereo - The Harmon Kardon system, while nice, is still inferior to Acura's ELS system.

- Key fob - I have never owned a car where the key fob was so ridiculously sensitive. Put the key in your pocket, kneel down to tie your shoes, and you'll hit the panic button. I've lost count how many times I've accidentally set off my alarm. NEVER had that happen with an Acura.

- Bugs - These might just be due to being the first-year of the current cycle, but I noticed little bugs. First, the navi doesn't always turn off after I exit the car. Sometimes I have to open and close the door a second time for the screen to go black. Second, if you don't turn off the radio before getting out of the car, it'll stay on like it thinks you're still in the vehicle. I've gone into my house with the keys in my pocket to get something I forgot and come back and the radio was still playing and then it would shut off after I opened the car door.

- Miscellaneous - The floor mats aren't as nice as the ones Acura uses. The trunk mat doesn't adhere well to the carpet and it actually warped after moving luggage on it.

Overall, I love the car and don't regret switching brands. But the little things I listed above make me realize I took certain things in Acura for granted. The BMW was a big increase in cost. But from what I've seen, a similarly-equipped RDX wouldn't be much different. And I'm not sure I'd want to spend over 50K on an Acura.

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 15:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
akal50 wrote:

- Bugs - These might just be due to being the first-year of the current cycle, but I noticed little bugs. First, the navi doesn't always turn off after I exit the car. Sometimes I have to open and close the door a second time for the screen to go black. Second, if you don't turn off the radio before getting out of the car, it'll stay on like it thinks you're still in the vehicle. I've gone into my house with the keys in my pocket to get something I forgot and come back and the radio was still playing and then it would shut off after I opened the car door.




fwiw, as a BMW owner, that sounds like a pretty standard operation for idrive. It'll stay on even after you shut the car off and open the door. The car will eventually go to "sleep" and shut it off. If you want it to shut off immediately, just hit the engine start button twice when turning the car off and everything will shut down. Alternatively, locking the car will also shut the idrive system down. BMW has built a lot of "fail safes" into the car so you won't be stranded with a dead battery, transmission will automatically go into park if you hit the engine button without putting it into park, etc etc.

You can also get into BMW coding and code it so that it'll shut down everything right when the door is opened. Lots of other stuff to code too.

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 17:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
With the 2019 model, there has been a big jump in RDX prices in Canada. I was at a dealership the other day and a Platinum Elite was marked at over $58,000. You can get a well-spec'ed Q5, X3, or GLC for a bit over $60,000.

Acura Canada does not seem to be willing to play the value card any more, but it isn't even close to the Germans in terms of prestige. If I were in the market and willing to spend that much money on a compact SUV, I'd seriously consider the German brands.

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 19:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Sasker wrote:
With the 2019 model, there has been a big jump in RDX prices in Canada. I was at a dealership the other day and a Platinum Elite was marked at over $58,000. You can get a well-spec'ed Q5, X3, or GLC for a bit over $60,000.

Acura Canada does not seem to be willing to play the value card any more, but it isn't even close to the Germans in terms of prestige. If I were in the market and willing to spend that much money on a compact SUV, I'd seriously consider the German brands.



I have seen the new RDXs a lot in Toronto, and the sales numbers showed, they sold 930 RDXs last month compare to 522 in August 2017. Of course it's still behind the German leaders, but considering how expensive it is I found the sales figures very impressive.

akal50
Profile for akal50
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 21:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
One other item. Small, but odd. The garage opener only works if the car is turned on. Never an issue in Acura.
Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 23:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
akal50 wrote:
One other item. Small, but odd. The garage opener only works if the car is turned on. Never an issue in Acura.

That would be a problem for me. The car should be off when the garage door is closed. Having the car running while the garage door is closed, or closing, or opening, means exposure to dangerous gasses.

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 00:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
akal50 wrote:
One other item. Small, but odd. The garage opener only works if the car is turned on. Never an issue in Acura.


I recall odyssey owners complaining about this. They didn't want their cars broken into and used to open the garage when it was parked in the driway at night!

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 00:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
eneka wrote:

I recall odyssey owners complaining about this. They didn't want their cars broken into and used to open the garage when it was parked in the driway at night!


One can easily lock the garage door from inside the house.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 08:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
eneka wrote:
akal50 wrote:

- Bugs - These might just be due to being the first-year of the current cycle, but I noticed little bugs. First, the navi doesn't always turn off after I exit the car. Sometimes I have to open and close the door a second time for the screen to go black. Second, if you don't turn off the radio before getting out of the car, it'll stay on like it thinks you're still in the vehicle. I've gone into my house with the keys in my pocket to get something I forgot and come back and the radio was still playing and then it would shut off after I opened the car door.




fwiw, as a BMW owner, that sounds like a pretty standard operation for idrive. It'll stay on even after you shut the car off and open the door. The car will eventually go to "sleep" and shut it off. If you want it to shut off immediately, just hit the engine start button twice when turning the car off and everything will shut down. Alternatively, locking the car will also shut the idrive system down. BMW has built a lot of "fail safes" into the car so you won't be stranded with a dead battery, transmission will automatically go into park if you hit the engine button without putting it into park, etc etc.

You can also get into BMW coding and code it so that it'll shut down everything right when the door is opened. Lots of other stuff to code too.


Yes, I figured that out by accident regarding the idrive. Hit the start button twice to shut off. I noticed that when I'd be on a phone call while exiting the car, the bluetooth connection would not disengage after opening the door. Therefore, the call would still be coming through the car.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 16:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Sasker wrote:
With the 2019 model, there has been a big jump in RDX prices in Canada. I was at a dealership the other day and a Platinum Elite was marked at over $58,000. You can get a well-spec'ed Q5, X3, or GLC for a bit over $60,000.

Acura Canada does not seem to be willing to play the value card any more, but it isn't even close to the Germans in terms of prestige. If I were in the market and willing to spend that much money on a compact SUV, I'd seriously consider the German brands.



The RDX Platinum Elite with PDI is just under $58k. But that's fully loaded. If you are okay with "well-spec'ed", you can always get the Elite, or A-spec, or even Tech, which are all pretty well equipped already for $50k or cheaper.

But if you want all the features, then an equivalent GLC300 4matic is well above $60k.

MSRP: $47300
Diamond White: $1600
LED headlamps: $900
Brown leather seats: $1990
Open pore wood trim: $250
Heated rear seats: $550
Heated steering wheel: $250
Artico covered dash: $550
Premium Pkg (pano roof, navi, keyless entry, etc): $4500
Premium+ Pkg (handsfree tailgate, power front seats, 360 cam): $2700
Burmeister Sound System: $1000
HUD: $1500
Intelligent Drive Package (like Acura Sensing): $2700
Freight/PDI: $2695

Total: $68435

This GLC would have some features that the RDX doesnt have (parking assistant). But at $10k more, I'd imagine that to be expected?

Is $10k ish saving a good enough value? I guess that really depends on personal perference.

While the Platinum Elite is way more money than any previous RDX, it's also a way better car in pretty much every single way other than losing the V6.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 19:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
How do the lease rates compare?
Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 19:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nick GravesX wrote:
How do the lease rates compare?


At least in the US, a GLC or X3 will lease much better than a 2019 RDX.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 05:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
How do the lease rates compare?


At least in the US, a GLC or X3 will lease much better than a 2019 RDX.



It was a leading question!

I dunno if there's an easy way of getting a quote for those specs - I would guess the X3 is only a few bucks more per month and only the downpayment might change.

I'm sure the Germans only do it through sheer volume plus dodgy financial shenanigans but until it blows up, it is what it is.


superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 09:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nick GravesX wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
How do the lease rates compare?


At least in the US, a GLC or X3 will lease much better than a 2019 RDX.



It was a leading question!

I dunno if there's an easy way of getting a quote for those specs - I would guess the X3 is only a few bucks more per month and only the downpayment might change.

I'm sure the Germans only do it through sheer volume plus dodgy financial shenanigans but until it blows up, it is what it is.



For long term ownership, with it's lower price and probably much better reliability, the RDX is a clear winner.

For short term, Ze Germans may be an option.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 09:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
How do the lease rates compare?


At least in the US, a GLC or X3 will lease much better than a 2019 RDX.



It was a leading question!

I dunno if there's an easy way of getting a quote for those specs - I would guess the X3 is only a few bucks more per month and only the downpayment might change.

I'm sure the Germans only do it through sheer volume plus dodgy financial shenanigans but until it blows up, it is what it is.



For long term ownership, with it's lower price and probably much better reliability, the RDX is a clear winner.

For short term, Ze Germans may be an option.



One might hope that's still the case.

I believe these things are increasingly rented for the short-term, though.

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 10:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:

For long term ownership, with it's lower price and probably much better reliability, the RDX is a clear winner.

For short term, Ze Germans may be an option.


Acura reliability has slipped considerably in my experience. This is a repair list for a 2017 RDX in the past 8 months:

*) AC blower engine replaced
*) Rear shock absorbers replaced
*) Hatch motor and struts replaced
*) Rear seat clips replaced because the seats had excessive play in them

I think Acura is not following the Germans just by increasing their prices, they are also lowering their reliability standards, as evidenced by their very poor rank in Consumer Reports. Right now only Lexus can claim to make reliable cars.

So pay near-German prices, deal with German levels of issues (actually they have improved a lot recently), and still have a Honda+ badge...

With a $60k-ish budget, I would buy a base Macan.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 14:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
We recently purchased an RDX A Spec after comparing it to the GLC, Q5, and X3. The first two fell out of the running quickly based on the decidedly aloof steering and non sporting driving experience. It was down to the X3 and RDX. The BMW has a slightly more compliant ride and more isolation from road noise. However, the RDX felt quicker, offered better ergonomics and interior design, and handled noticeably better (the X3 had the sport package).

The BMW comparatively equipped was $15K more expensive and $300 more per month with leasing over a 48 month term.

I live in Canada.

So given the significant expense of a BMW off warranty and the difference in cost, we went with the Acura. My experience with off warranty claims with Acura have been excellent in the past FWIW.

Your mileage may vary.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 14:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
We recently purchased an RDX A Spec after comparing it to the GLC, Q5, and X3. The first two fell out of the running quickly based on the decidedly aloof steering and non sporting driving experience. It was down to the X3 and RDX. The BMW has a slightly more compliant ride and more isolation from road noise. However, the RDX felt quicker, offered better ergonomics and interior design, and handled noticeably better (the X3 had the sport package).

The BMW comparatively equipped was $15K more expensive and $300 more per month with leasing over a 48 month term.

I live in Canada.

So given the significant expense of a BMW off warranty and the difference in cost, we went with the Acura. My experience with off warranty claims with Acura have been excellent in the past FWIW.

Your mileage may vary but the think it is strange that you didnít drive the RDX as a comparison. Passing power and handling are better in the RDX.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 14:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Sasker wrote:
With the 2019 model, there has been a big jump in RDX prices in Canada. I was at a dealership the other day and a Platinum Elite was marked at over $58,000. You can get a well-spec'ed Q5, X3, or GLC for a bit over $60,000.

Acura Canada does not seem to be willing to play the value card any more, but it isn't even close to the Germans in terms of prestige. If I were in the market and willing to spend that much money on a compact SUV, I'd seriously consider the German brands.



Not comparatively equipped. There is at least a $15K difference. See my post above. I loaded out a GLC at $84K to match the RDX Elite.

And then I shit myself.

Accordlover
Profile for Accordlover
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 16:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Sorry, but I take the new RDX over every segment competitors in a hearbeat
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 16:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Sasker wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

For long term ownership, with it's lower price and probably much better reliability, the RDX is a clear winner.

For short term, Ze Germans may be an option.


Acura reliability has slipped considerably in my experience. This is a repair list for a 2017 RDX in the past 8 months:

*) AC blower engine replaced
*) Rear shock absorbers replaced
*) Hatch motor and struts replaced
*) Rear seat clips replaced because the seats had excessive play in them

I think Acura is not following the Germans just by increasing their prices, they are also lowering their reliability standards, as evidenced by their very poor rank in Consumer Reports. Right now only Lexus can claim to make reliable cars.

So pay near-German prices, deal with German levels of issues (actually they have improved a lot recently), and still have a Honda+ badge...

With a $60k-ish budget, I would buy a base Macan.


Evidently,
I am a bit out of touch with Honda / Acura's recently slipping reliability.

As our Accord approaches 19 years old, we have only had to replace the transmission 11 years ago, which Honda paid for, based on a service bulletin

My 12 1/2 year old Si does have a delamination in the rearview mirror. And that's about it.

I guess as cars get more complicated, the potential for foul ups increases, and admittedly neither of our Honda's are terribly complex.



Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 16:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Which vehicle makes sense is up to each person. For me reliability has always been a great priority, and I had excellent experiences with my previous Acuras. The RDX has changed all of that. My emotional connection to Acura has been lost for the past decade or so, when they started killing off their sporty manual offerings. For me they are bargain luxury cars with good reliability. Without the reliability, I will definitely move to other options. If I have to visit the dealership every few months to fix something, I'd rather drive more prestigious brands. My case may be anecdotal, but their reliability rankings have suffered a lot recently, and now I have first hand experience with it.

About the price, Acura forces us to go with their trim levels, while with the Germans we can pick and choose. With an X3 xDrive30i I'd go with a free colour (I like white), plus M Sport Plus package and the Premium Package Enhanced, which comes to around CAD $62,500, fees included.

Or I'd go with a base Macan, with the free white colour, Premium Package Plus, PASM, Sport Chrono package, and 19 inch Macan Turbo wheels. This combination comes to around CAD $67,500, destination charges included.

I bet many people who can afford CAD $58,000 for an RDX can also afford to pay CAD $68,000 for a Macan.


RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 17:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Sasker wrote:
Which vehicle makes sense is up to each person. For me reliability has always been a great priority, and I had excellent experiences with my previous Acuras. The RDX has changed all of that. My emotional connection to Acura has been lost for the past decade or so, when they started killing off their sporty manual offerings. For me they are bargain luxury cars with good reliability. Without the reliability, I will definitely move to other options. If I have to visit the dealership every few months to fix something, I'd rather drive more prestigious brands. My case may be anecdotal, but their reliability rankings have suffered a lot recently, and now I have first hand experience with it.

About the price, Acura forces us to go with their trim levels, while with the Germans we can pick and choose. With an X3 xDrive30i I'd go with a free colour (I like white), plus M Sport Plus package and the Premium Package Enhanced, which comes to around CAD $62,500, fees included.

Or I'd go with a base Macan, with the free white colour, Premium Package Plus, PASM, Sport Chrono package, and 19 inch Macan Turbo wheels. This combination comes to around CAD $67,500, destination charges included.

I bet many people who can afford CAD $58,000 for an RDX can also afford to pay CAD $68,000 for a Macan.




Did you look at the base engine in the Macan? It may not be what you think (250hp). The X3 you mention is optioned out closer to the $52K A Spec but still misses several Acura options.

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 18:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RMTRADER wrote:

Did you look at the base engine in the Macan? It may not be what you think (250hp). The X3 you mention is optioned out closer to the $52K A Spec but still misses several Acura options.



You're right on both accounts. However, the Macan's 0-60 times are very close to the RDX (~6.0 secs). With the X3, I spec'ed it like I wanted it. With the RDX, I have to move up to the Platinum Elite to get HUD, for example. I don't have to do that with the BMW.

The other point is that, rightfully or not, BMW, and specially Porsche, charge premiums for their brand badges.

I am not knocking on the RDX. I have been driving Acuras for close to 20 years, so I must have liked something about them. What I am saying is that for me, lowered reliability (I have a friend with a 2018 MDX who is also experiencing problems), together with increased prices in Canada mean that the RDX (or any other Acura) is no longer an automatic go-to choice. In fact, if I were in the market right now I'd most probably not buy an Acura.

wanga
Profile for wanga
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 23:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
akal50 wrote:
I've always driven Honda/Acura vehicles. Two 2nd gen Acura RDXs, a second gen TSX V6, two 2nd Gen TLs, and two Accords. Except for my very first Accord, I've never had a car that didn't have a 6-cylinder engine. Until now. I was in the market for a new car last December. I wanted another SUV. The MDX was too big and I couldn't wait for the 2019 RDX to arrive. So I defected to team BMW.

Although I've yet to drive the latest RDX, as someone who's driven Honda/Acura products for a long time, I thought I would give my impressions of the BMW and how it compares to Acura products.

Pros:

- The drive - It's true what they say. Once you drive a BMW, you won't want to drive anything else. I've driven Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, and obviously Acura. And while I enjoyed each of them to varying degrees, nothing compares to BMW. The handling and passing power are incredible. This is the car that makes you get speeding tickets and makes you extremely confident maneuvering in and out of traffic.

- Comfort - The driver seat just feels so much more comfortable than any Acura I've driven. Even after nearly a year, the seat still offers great support.

- Looks - Acura has never been known for being stylish, though I loved the 2nd gen TL. The X3 looks great. I've gotten more compliments on it than I ever got for my Acuras. But again, nobody buys Acura to stand out.

- Run-flat tires - Not sure if Acura offers these now, but I got a flat in my first year and it made it a lot easier to drive to a tire repair place.

- Paint - I think everyone here knows Acura uses cheap paint that chips too easily. So far, my BMW paint has held up well.

Cons:

- Technology - With Honda/Acura, everything is intuitive. You don't have to read the manual to figure out how things work. But on the BMW, it's not always straightforward. And I'm not even referring to the idiotic shifter where you press a button to park, push forward to go in reverse, and then pull back to go into drive. Also, I'm not wild about the Apple Carplay. Not sure if it's a problem with Carplay or BMW, but sometimes the system decides to use Apple's GPS instead of BMWs when I hit the Nav button. And if I get a text message while listening to the radio, after I've responded, the stereo doesn't resume. I have to manually turn it back on.

- 4 cylinder - BMW offers a V6 if you're willing to spend another 12K. I wasn't. While the 4-cylinder is plenty, it still has the problem every 4 cylinder engine has. It sounds like a toy. I'd be curious to hear the new RDX engine.

- Stereo - The Harmon Kardon system, while nice, is still inferior to Acura's ELS system.

- Key fob - I have never owned a car where the key fob was so ridiculously sensitive. Put the key in your pocket, kneel down to tie your shoes, and you'll hit the panic button. I've lost count how many times I've accidentally set off my alarm. NEVER had that happen with an Acura.

- Bugs - These might just be due to being the first-year of the current cycle, but I noticed little bugs. First, the navi doesn't always turn off after I exit the car. Sometimes I have to open and close the door a second time for the screen to go black. Second, if you don't turn off the radio before getting out of the car, it'll stay on like it thinks you're still in the vehicle. I've gone into my house with the keys in my pocket to get something I forgot and come back and the radio was still playing and then it would shut off after I opened the car door.

- Miscellaneous - The floor mats aren't as nice as the ones Acura uses. The trunk mat doesn't adhere well to the carpet and it actually warped after moving luggage on it.

Overall, I love the car and don't regret switching brands. But the little things I listed above make me realize I took certain things in Acura for granted. The BMW was a big increase in cost. But from what I've seen, a similarly-equipped RDX wouldn't be much different. And I'm not sure I'd want to spend over 50K on an Acura.



I drove both of them, the choice was easy: RDXA Spec SH-Awd.Faster, more powerful and more luxurious than the X3
more confortable and roomy. Knowing Acura/Honda,i'm affraid that they will find a way to mess up the new RDX,they need to add a T 3.0 engine as an option.It would be hard to justify buying an X3,X5 6cyl over the RDX.


wanga
Profile for wanga
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 23:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
akal50 wrote:
I've always driven Honda/Acura vehicles. Two 2nd gen Acura RDXs, a second gen TSX V6, two 2nd Gen TLs, and two Accords. Except for my very first Accord, I've never had a car that didn't have a 6-cylinder engine. Until now. I was in the market for a new car last December. I wanted another SUV. The MDX was too big and I couldn't wait for the 2019 RDX to arrive. So I defected to team BMW.

Although I've yet to drive the latest RDX, as someone who's driven Honda/Acura products for a long time, I thought I would give my impressions of the BMW and how it compares to Acura products.

Pros:

- The drive - It's true what they say. Once you drive a BMW, you won't want to drive anything else. I've driven Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, and obviously Acura. And while I enjoyed each of them to varying degrees, nothing compares to BMW. The handling and passing power are incredible. This is the car that makes you get speeding tickets and makes you extremely confident maneuvering in and out of traffic.

- Comfort - The driver seat just feels so much more comfortable than any Acura I've driven. Even after nearly a year, the seat still offers great support.

- Looks - Acura has never been known for being stylish, though I loved the 2nd gen TL. The X3 looks great. I've gotten more compliments on it than I ever got for my Acuras. But again, nobody buys Acura to stand out.

- Run-flat tires - Not sure if Acura offers these now, but I got a flat in my first year and it made it a lot easier to drive to a tire repair place.

- Paint - I think everyone here knows Acura uses cheap paint that chips too easily. So far, my BMW paint has held up well.

Cons:

- Technology - With Honda/Acura, everything is intuitive. You don't have to read the manual to figure out how things work. But on the BMW, it's not always straightforward. And I'm not even referring to the idiotic shifter where you press a button to park, push forward to go in reverse, and then pull back to go into drive. Also, I'm not wild about the Apple Carplay. Not sure if it's a problem with Carplay or BMW, but sometimes the system decides to use Apple's GPS instead of BMWs when I hit the Nav button. And if I get a text message while listening to the radio, after I've responded, the stereo doesn't resume. I have to manually turn it back on.

- 4 cylinder - BMW offers a V6 if you're willing to spend another 12K. I wasn't. While the 4-cylinder is plenty, it still has the problem every 4 cylinder engine has. It sounds like a toy. I'd be curious to hear the new RDX engine.

- Stereo - The Harmon Kardon system, while nice, is still inferior to Acura's ELS system.

- Key fob - I have never owned a car where the key fob was so ridiculously sensitive. Put the key in your pocket, kneel down to tie your shoes, and you'll hit the panic button. I've lost count how many times I've accidentally set off my alarm. NEVER had that happen with an Acura.

- Bugs - These might just be due to being the first-year of the current cycle, but I noticed little bugs. First, the navi doesn't always turn off after I exit the car. Sometimes I have to open and close the door a second time for the screen to go black. Second, if you don't turn off the radio before getting out of the car, it'll stay on like it thinks you're still in the vehicle. I've gone into my house with the keys in my pocket to get something I forgot and come back and the radio was still playing and then it would shut off after I opened the car door.

- Miscellaneous - The floor mats aren't as nice as the ones Acura uses. The trunk mat doesn't adhere well to the carpet and it actually warped after moving luggage on it.

Overall, I love the car and don't regret switching brands. But the little things I listed above make me realize I took certain things in Acura for granted. The BMW was a big increase in cost. But from what I've seen, a similarly-equipped RDX wouldn't be much different. And I'm not sure I'd want to spend over 50K on an Acura.



I drove both of them, the choice was easy: RDXA Spec SH-Awd.Faster, more powerful and more luxurious than the X3
more confortable and roomy

wanga
Profile for wanga
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2018 23:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
akal50 wrote:
I've always driven Honda/Acura vehicles. Two 2nd gen Acura RDXs, a second gen TSX V6, two 2nd Gen TLs, and two Accords. Except for my very first Accord, I've never had a car that didn't have a 6-cylinder engine. Until now. I was in the market for a new car last December. I wanted another SUV. The MDX was too big and I couldn't wait for the 2019 RDX to arrive. So I defected to team BMW.

Although I've yet to drive the latest RDX, as someone who's driven Honda/Acura products for a long time, I thought I would give my impressions of the BMW and how it compares to Acura products.

Pros:

- The drive - It's true what they say. Once you drive a BMW, you won't want to drive anything else. I've driven Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, and obviously Acura. And while I enjoyed each of them to varying degrees, nothing compares to BMW. The handling and passing power are incredible. This is the car that makes you get speeding tickets and makes you extremely confident maneuvering in and out of traffic.

- Comfort - The driver seat just feels so much more comfortable than any Acura I've driven. Even after nearly a year, the seat still offers great support.

- Looks - Acura has never been known for being stylish, though I loved the 2nd gen TL. The X3 looks great. I've gotten more compliments on it than I ever got for my Acuras. But again, nobody buys Acura to stand out.

- Run-flat tires - Not sure if Acura offers these now, but I got a flat in my first year and it made it a lot easier to drive to a tire repair place.

- Paint - I think everyone here knows Acura uses cheap paint that chips too easily. So far, my BMW paint has held up well.

Cons:

- Technology - With Honda/Acura, everything is intuitive. You don't have to read the manual to figure out how things work. But on the BMW, it's not always straightforward. And I'm not even referring to the idiotic shifter where you press a button to park, push forward to go in reverse, and then pull back to go into drive. Also, I'm not wild about the Apple Carplay. Not sure if it's a problem with Carplay or BMW, but sometimes the system decides to use Apple's GPS instead of BMWs when I hit the Nav button. And if I get a text message while listening to the radio, after I've responded, the stereo doesn't resume. I have to manually turn it back on.

- 4 cylinder - BMW offers a V6 if you're willing to spend another 12K. I wasn't. While the 4-cylinder is plenty, it still has the problem every 4 cylinder engine has. It sounds like a toy. I'd be curious to hear the new RDX engine.

- Stereo - The Harmon Kardon system, while nice, is still inferior to Acura's ELS system.

- Key fob - I have never owned a car where the key fob was so ridiculously sensitive. Put the key in your pocket, kneel down to tie your shoes, and you'll hit the panic button. I've lost count how many times I've accidentally set off my alarm. NEVER had that happen with an Acura.

- Bugs - These might just be due to being the first-year of the current cycle, but I noticed little bugs. First, the navi doesn't always turn off after I exit the car. Sometimes I have to open and close the door a second time for the screen to go black. Second, if you don't turn off the radio before getting out of the car, it'll stay on like it thinks you're still in the vehicle. I've gone into my house with the keys in my pocket to get something I forgot and come back and the radio was still playing and then it would shut off after I opened the car door.

- Miscellaneous - The floor mats aren't as nice as the ones Acura uses. The trunk mat doesn't adhere well to the carpet and it actually warped after moving luggage on it.

Overall, I love the car and don't regret switching brands. But the little things I listed above make me realize I took certain things in Acura for granted. The BMW was a big increase in cost. But from what I've seen, a similarly-equipped RDX wouldn't be much different. And I'm not sure I'd want to spend over 50K on an Acura.



I drove both of them ,the choice was easy,i picked the RDX A Spec . It feel more powerful,faster, roomier and more luxurious than the X3. They need to add a T3.0 engine as an option to steal X5 buyers from bmw.


Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-15-2018 18:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Yea it's niCe to be able to pick options that you want but interestingly that doesn't work all the time. Sometimes you still need to get an expensive package in order to get one feature foe the German cars. I guess it depends in your luck and needs.
akal50
Profile for akal50
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2018 14:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I can tell you that my decision to switch to BMW had nothing to do with the declining quality of Acura. I've had their cars for decades and never had any major issues. It really came down to timing. This was December of last year. The 2019 model wasn't available and I didn't want the 2018 model. Plus, the BMW dealer offered me a great deal. With options, the car came to 56K, but I bargained them down to 53K. Considering this was BMW and a brand new design, I'm amazed I got them to discount as much as they did. Plus, they offered an APR of 0.99%, something I never got from Acura. I keep the mileage low so if I decide BMW isn't for me and I want to go back to Acura, I know I'll still have equity. It sounds like the new RDX is a huge step up from the previous model. So I'm definitely going to have to take a look at it. But a big reason I, and I'm sure many of us, ended up with Acura is because of price. You don't get the prestige of BMW or Mercedes, but you save a lot of money. And personally, I don't feel like paying a lot just for name recognition. That's why Acura's price increase is disappointing. The new RDX may be a great car, even on par with offerings from BMW or Mercedes. But to pay the same price for a car with a lesser name? I'm really curious to see what sales numbers are for the RDX. How many people will shell out over 50K for an RDX, especially if they were coming from the previous model which came in around 40K?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: From Acura RDX to BMW X3    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2018 18:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
akal50 wrote:
I can tell you that my decision to switch to BMW had nothing to do with the declining quality of Acura. I've had their cars for decades and never had any major issues. It really came down to timing. This was December of last year. The 2019 model wasn't available and I didn't want the 2018 model. Plus, the BMW dealer offered me a great deal. With options, the car came to 56K, but I bargained them down to 53K. Considering this was BMW and a brand new design, I'm amazed I got them to discount as much as they did. Plus, they offered an APR of 0.99%, something I never got from Acura. I keep the mileage low so if I decide BMW isn't for me and I want to go back to Acura, I know I'll still have equity. It sounds like the new RDX is a huge step up from the previous model. So I'm definitely going to have to take a look at it. But a big reason I, and I'm sure many of us, ended up with Acura is because of price. You don't get the prestige of BMW or Mercedes, but you save a lot of money. And personally, I don't feel like paying a lot just for name recognition. That's why Acura's price increase is disappointing. The new RDX may be a great car, even on par with offerings from BMW or Mercedes. But to pay the same price for a car with a lesser name? I'm really curious to see what sales numbers are for the RDX. How many people will shell out over 50K for an RDX, especially if they were coming from the previous model which came in around 40K?


Right now the prices are closer than they should be because Acura dealers aren't coming off the sticker prices, and I've heard some instances where they're even padding the sticker with forced add-ons. If you compare them like for like (same equipment, MSRP) the RDX is still quite a bit cheaper than the competition. The problem (in terms of no discounting) is that RDX sales are going quite well and the hotter RDX trims are scarce at the dealers so the dealers are maximizing their profits while they can. It's a normal cycle, unfortunately.


 
Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0