[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
More.......................
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
CR-V --> Re: 2018 CR-V price experience
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: MDX update schedule?
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2019 Honda CRV on Honda Canada Website
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: 2018 Odyssey droning noise
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Valve adjustment needed?
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Atom 4 powered by CTR engine
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2018 22:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It's a tad early to say exactly but I am in direct path for Hurricane Florence which is expected to make landfall sometime around 8:00pm Thursday night between Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and Wilmington, North Carolina. I am roughly 3 hours from both.

I thankfully don't live in an area prone to flooding but our grounds are already very saturated from recent rain and rain in the forecast this week. We're lucky enough to live inland where the winds wont be nearly as strong as they will be at the coast but as it stand it's still expected to be a category 4 hurricane with winds in the 150mph range. I expect that to drop once it reaches landfall.

I spent the day searching for a generator which I should have done earlier. I also stocked the house with non perishables and plenty of water and back up lights and batteries. We anticipate the power to be out for at least two weeks or more. Near by stores were a mess. We still have a few days but a lot of people will be waiting for last minute before they get supplies as usual. Most of the Eastern colleges have already started evacuations I believe. I know both North and South Carolina have declared state of emergencies and have waived some transportation fees for farmers so they can harvest more crops before they are destroyed.

In 1996 I was just a couple months old when Fran came through which left us without power for almost two weeks then. Fran was a category 2 at landfall and became a tropical storm once it got near the Triad where I live and still live now. If Fran a "wimpy" cat. 2 done the damage my mom has explained then I'm sure this cat. 4 is nothing to dismiss.

Tomorrow I'm searching again for a generator first thing in the morning.

For everyone in the South Carolina and North Carolina areas, some of Georgia and some of Virginia, I wish you all luck as we prepare for this storm.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2018 23:59
Wishing you and your family and neighbors good luck in getting ready for Florence.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 00:00
Prep as much as you can and hope that it changes course!
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 01:33
superchg2 wrote:
Wishing you and your family and neighbors good luck in getting ready for Florence.

+1

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 06:23
I live in southern Indiana and we got a massive amount of rain. A large tree fell on my neighbors house, complete root ball showing.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 09:18
When you guys have advanced warning of impending big hurricanes or storms, do you normally stay home to stick it out or do you batten the hatches, so to speak, and leave for another state for the week?
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 09:31
Most people on the coast leave and move inland for the week if they can. These things can be pretty life threatening as we've recently saw with Harvey. Hurricane Hazel was the last major hurricane to affect the Carolinas by death toll alone, 95 fatalities. It completely flattened the coast where it made landfall. It too was a category 4.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 09:52
For the generator, check local Facebook groups. When we went through Sandy those groups were instrumental in tracking generator shipments to local/regional Home Depots (be prepared to drive a couple hours), tracking gas stations that were open or even had gas, finding grocery stores that had food, etc.

Keep a battery-operated FM radio on-hand which will also help provide information.

Trim any trees which pose a risk to property now.

Clean gutters and make sure leaders are installed and long enough to get water away from the structure.

Make sure the cars are filled with gas and you have a place to park them that is elevated and away from trees (even if it's the middle of your yard).

Fill any empty space in your freezer with water/ice in sealed containers, the thermal mass will help keep things colder longer if you lose power.

We were without power for 13 days after Sandy and these are some of the lessons learned. Being prepared is being safe. Good luck.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 11:07
So far we're pretty well set for right now. Luckily there aren't any trees around our house or surrounding houses. Patio furniture needs to be secured but otherwise all we need at the moment is a gen.

I just went through a fiasco with a guy on Facebook. He claimed I was wasting his time after I told him I needed to come and get it immediately for his exact price since he told me several people were asking for it. It wont fit in the TSX at all so I was getting my brother with a truck to come with me. Oh well.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 11:21
My Uncle lives in North Charleston and we visited him a couple of weeks ago.

I had told him that he and my aunt could stay with us anytime, in Kansas City.

This may be the time.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 08:39
Iím so old I remember Hurricane Hazel hitting Toronto in 1954. Intense flooding. But it was Friday so a visit to the grandparents was mandatory. We crossed one main bridge but the next one was washed out, so we turned around. But the bridge we crossed minutes earlier was gone, washing away cars and people. Toronto is well inland but apparently Hazel regrouped/refueled over Lake Ontario and kept on coming. Scary.

The local weather guy compared Florence to Hugo in 1989 and Hazel in 1954. Hmmm...

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 13:55
CanTeX wrote:
Iím so old I remember Hurricane Hazel hitting Toronto in 1954. Intense flooding. But it was Friday so a visit to the grandparents was mandatory. We crossed one main bridge but the next one was washed out, so we turned around. But the bridge we crossed minutes earlier was gone, washing away cars and people. Toronto is well inland but apparently Hazel regrouped/refueled over Lake Ontario and kept on coming. Scary.

The local weather guy compared Florence to Hugo in 1989 and Hazel in 1954. Hmmm...

That's pretty nuts. Hazel came in from the Carolinas, and to cause problems in Canada? Woah.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 14:44
CanTeX wrote:

We did a historic homes tour in Charleston in the summer of 1992. There is one home in the old town district that is on the "George Washington slept here" registry, if anyone is interested. We found several homes still had damage from Hugo. It wasn't so much the rain but the wind from that storm.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 20:04
Grace141 wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

We did a historic homes tour in Charleston in the summer of 1992. There is one home in the old town district that is on the "George Washington slept here" registry, if anyone is interested. We found several homes still had damage from Hugo. It wasn't so much the rain but the wind from that storm.

We have a list: "Maxine Waters was here".

It's called the termite control list.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 23:56
We're just about all set. Thankfully mom got lucky found a really good generator while we were both out hunting, we now have the house stocked with food, batteries, candles, super bright LED lights, meds and more. We could use more gas for the generator but we didn;t buy more cans so I'm not going to worry about it. We aren't going to use it until we absolutely need to.

We're a lot better off than some I'm sure and it breaks my heart thinking about families closer to the coast than we are that can't escape or get enough supplies. I hope everyone who isn't capable have left and came closer in land.

After work I topped the TSX back off with gas one last time and ran by walmart to see how bad it was. I've NEVER seen my store like this. Not even in the snow, and we all know how the south freaks out over that.

I truly hope everyone makes it out of this safely.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 01:50
Hopefully everyone will be as prepared as they can be... stay safe and the very best wishes!

We are thinking of you and you are all in our prayers.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 06:13
I think you missed an isle... Good luck, how far are you from the coast? My parents are in Brevard and brother in Raleigh. He'll probably get some wind but doubt my parents get anything but rain.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-16-2018 19:27
Hope everyone is coping well with this Hurricane/Tropical Storm!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0