[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
RLX --> Re: 2019 Acura RLX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: '08 Honda Leather
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Type R > > Re: DC-R

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author
  Post New Thread
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 20:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
garoto wrote:
DCR wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
Bad luck, DC!

This is why I hate having new cars...

I should probably stay off of 131 really, but it is the fastest route to work. The problem is, the center concrete median traps all manner of shit and once someone strays over and runs over it, you never know what you are going to get. I have avoided a full size mattress before, a lawn chair, a BBQ grille that hopped out of a truck, you name it, I have either hit it or nearly hit it. Semi trucks are a huge problem too, and I am often trapped in a batch of them.

I think I will start going on 196 so I can hit a deer instead.

That sucks man. But definitely not the worst thing in the world. As long as damage happens on non painted surfaces I hardly care.

I would definitely get XPEL Ultimate Plus. I canít recommend that stuff enough. I have it on my bumper, fog lights, headlights, mirrors, and front H badge.

D'you wanna see my appendix?

Actually a Helmholz resonator on the S2000:

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2018 11:54
Sasker wrote:
I never liked the exaggerated styling of the Type-R, but having to check the weather to see if you can get good performance out of your engine is something else.

It is more dramatic in description than reality. I was running around last night in 90+ weather and didn't have any issues, but there are moments when you have the air on and start in the wrong gear where you can experience major bogging apparently.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-08-2018 10:50
DCR wrote:
garoto wrote:
Man, I donít know. But I feel this car becomes a joy in the heat. Iíll pay closer attention next time. I have noticed the occasional power deltas, but whatís new, thatís the whole premise of ya whining about N/As vs Turbos.

I only started paying attention after when I was turning right, rolling pretty slow in 2nd and the car simply wouldn't accelerate. It was like I was in 6th gear instead. Problem was, I was moving a bit too fast to jam it into 1st without putting my head through the windshield, so I quickly threw it into neutral, braked pretty hard to get speed out, threw it in first and revved through fine. It felt like it cut my fuel or some shit and I didn't like it.

I'm watching for it now and just avoiding the slow roll out.

I know what you mean. Too slow for 2nd but too fast for 1st. When that happens, I give up on the idea of having any type of performing accelration, but it makes sense to me.

This car needs a different kind of driving if youíre user to N/As all your life. Iím starting to adjust.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 12:21
I haven't really run into the issue again, so that is good. I'm now starting to really dig around for a winter set of wheels also.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 13:33
Nick GravesX wrote:
DCR wrote:
garoto wrote:
Man, I donít know. But I feel this car becomes a joy in the heat. Iíll pay closer attention next time. I have noticed the occasional power deltas, but whatís new, thatís the whole premise of ya whining about N/As vs Turbos.

I only started paying attention after when I was turning right, rolling pretty slow in 2nd and the car simply wouldn't accelerate. It was like I was in 6th gear instead. Problem was, I was moving a bit too fast to jam it into 1st without putting my head through the windshield, so I quickly threw it into neutral, braked pretty hard to get speed out, threw it in first and revved through fine. It felt like it cut my fuel or some shit and I didn't like it.

Man, I forget you guys are sooooo young!

We've had that issue with S2000s since Methusala got his and grumbled to Soichiro's ancestor.

Only the S2000 kangaroos if you move the throttle too fast and it leans out when hot.

Best way is to dip the clutch and gently open the butterfly; a few seconds of 2-3K rpm will get a column of colder air into the intake and it will behave normally. I've learned to open the throttle incrementally, so the car will eventually pull through the stutter and to keep the revs up for a bit. The passers-by probably think I'm a boy racer, but their opinions are of no merit.

And never stuff a Honda into 1st without a big rev double declutch; you'll otherwise get a whiny/crunchy first, eventually. Even then, 1st is tricky to rev-match.

The AEM V2 intake cured the problem on my AP1. With the OEM intake it bucked and sputtered like mad in bumper to bumper traffic in 100 degree temps.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 14:14
JeffX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
DCR wrote:
garoto wrote:

Man, I forget you guys are sooooo young!

We've had that issue with S2000s since Methusala got his and grumbled to Soichiro's ancestor.

Only the S2000 kangaroos if you move the throttle too fast and it leans out when hot.

Best way is to dip the clutch and gently open the butterfly; a few seconds of 2-3K rpm will get a column of colder air into the intake and it will behave normally. I've learned to open the throttle incrementally, so the car will eventually pull through the stutter and to keep the revs up for a bit. The passers-by probably think I'm a boy racer, but their opinions are of no merit.

And never stuff a Honda into 1st without a big rev double declutch; you'll otherwise get a whiny/crunchy first, eventually. Even then, 1st is tricky to rev-match.

The AEM V2 intake cured the problem on my AP1. With the OEM intake it bucked and sputtered like mad in bumper to bumper traffic in 100 degree temps.

Yeah, a fake Spoon helped mine a bit, too.

If it's something similar plus turbo lag, it might prove an 'interesting' characteristic...

LudegarH22A7
Profile for LudegarH22A7
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 19:45
Same here... AEM V2 to the rescue. Helped a bunch with the ~3K rpm torque hole on my AP1.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2018 14:21
I think my first change might be the shift knob.

https://jhpusa.com/products/spoon-sports-duracon-shift-knob

That might take care of the burning orb in there now.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2018 14:27
DCR wrote:

Yes a couple weeks ago I left my car in the direct sun for a few hours (for the first time) and the shift knob was BLAZINGLY hot when I got back in the car.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2018 16:57
DCR wrote:

A metal shifter? We had that in the 05 Accord 6/6.

Carry a small towel to clean the NAVI and when you park, use it to cover the shift know.

It also gets cold in the winter...

But it looks nice.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2018 17:07
DCR wrote:
I've got a nice scrape on the lower lip from a piece of scrap metal that jumped out of a truck and wrapped itself around the piece. By the sound I thought it fucked up at least my bumper and fog light but thankfully only scuffed up a $100 piece. We will see what winter brings if this is what summer offers.

Sorry to hear that.

In '85 an old lady ran into my then brand new 84 Civic S. Almost head on.

It took four months to fix my car. When it was all done, her insurance had paid almost 18K in repairs, tow trucks (took three shops to fix) and rental cars. I ended up suing and collected another $7K.

So, the day after I picked up the car at last, I'm driving on the freeway to work when an empty Pepsi bottle flew off a beat up gardener's "trucketa" on the I5 in Santa Ana, the fucking thing bounced across three lanes of freeway and dented my hood.

Two weeks later, an old guy sideswipped my car.

I had it all fixed, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut.... yeah, shit happens.

You might want to put that plastic film coating on your fog lights. It saved the Fit's fog lights.

Have you considered getting a beater hybrid to drive daily, keep the CTR in the garage?

We still got an 06 hybrid with 170K miles... the main battery only has 30K miles. Driving IMA to work will _really_ make you appreciate the CTR on weekends. I could sell you the IMA for cheap, very cheap.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-18-2018 07:09
JeffX wrote:
DCR wrote:

Yes a couple weeks ago I left my car in the direct sun for a few hours (for the first time) and the shift knob was BLAZINGLY hot when I got back in the car.

Yeah - I've developed a method when necessary of holding the gear stick in the S2000 that some may find offensive...

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-18-2018 13:52
TonyEX wrote:

Have you considered getting a beater hybrid to drive daily, keep the CTR in the garage?

Nooo, just use it. Look after it, take precautions where possible, try to keep it in good shape, but if shit happens ... what can you do ? The alternatove is to not use it as much which defeats the reason you bought it in the first place. A little minor cosmetic imperfection here or there is a sign of a used, loved and enjoyed car !

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-18-2018 14:02
I'm driving it year round 100%. I'm looking around for winter wheels now in 5 x 120 that clear the Brembos.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-18-2018 15:07
^ Welp, I've got 4, 18" HFPs in the garage along with 7, 17" 7-spokes from the TSX...
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-19-2018 00:33
DCR wrote:
I'm driving it year round 100%. I'm looking around for winter wheels now in 5 x 120 that clear the Brembos.

I use Konig Ultraform for my winter setup.

They are 18"x 8.5" ET38 with 225 wide tires. The rims are 19lb each so pretty light weight:

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-19-2018 01:10
NealX wrote:
^ Welp, I've got 4, 18" HFPs in the garage along with 7, 17" 7-spokes from the TSX...

the problem with the Civic Type R is that it has a 5x120 lug pattern (due to the torque of that motor and the huge brakes, is my guess), whereas all of the prior Civic/Integra/RSX/TSX/Accord/S2000s used a 5x114.3 lug pattern.

Price
Profile for Price
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-19-2018 10:27
DCR wrote:

I'm running Sparco Trofeo 5 in black 18x8 45mm offset with 235/45/18 for winter.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-19-2018 14:22
Hondarulez wrote:
DCR wrote:

I use Konig Ultraform for my winter setup.

They are 18"x 8.5" ET38 with 225 wide tires. The rims are 19lb each so pretty light weight:

I would run those year round. I like those a lot.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-19-2018 15:14
^ I do like the more "technical look" of those. Would be cool to see them colored CW w/Honda center caps...
bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-19-2018 15:41
Great to hear the car's being used well.

Now the pic above, yup looks good on those wheels. Pretty good number plate too :-)

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 02:20
Thank you! Yea, these are priced really well too at about $900 CAD for the whole set. I still haven't been able to find something as light as these while being at this price point, and being as nice looking (ok this last point is subjective but it seems most people here like it!).

Yea, I know someone that works at the insurance place and he told me exactly which branch have that license plate :D

Just got downpipe and intercooler installed, along with the KTuner Stage 1 tune. Man this thing pulls hard for a Honda lol.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 04:31
Hondarulez wrote:

Just got downpipe and intercooler installed, along with the KTuner Stage 1 tune. Man this thing pulls hard for a Honda lol.

It would be interesting to see some "numbers" from your additions? :) Acceleration times, lap time improvements?

Do you expect the intercooler will solve the overheating issues, if you've experienced any??

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 12:42
sadlerau wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

It would be interesting to see some "numbers" from your additions? :) Acceleration times, lap time improvements?

Do you expect the intercooler will solve the overheating issues, if you've experienced any??

Not trying to answer for 'Hondarulez' but I've spoken with some people who were some of the first to discover this heat issue and they've spent a lot of time (and money) trying to address it.

They started with swapping the coolant. Then the put on an oil cooler. Next was a new intercooler (and downpipe). Then a new custom radiator. None of these individual items made a huge difference in terms of engine cooling. Eventually they found that the biggest improvement came from switching out the grille for an aftermarket mesh grille that they found on ebay. This was by far the biggest "bang for the buck" improvement when it came down to the heat issue.

As for performance, You can achieve nearly max hp and torque figures on a completely stock motor with a simple reflash. The downpipe helps with the spool time and an upgraded intercooler helps keeping the performance more stable (the K20C1 is very sensitive to heat, and a lot of beating on it gets the coolant temps and IATs cranking up pretty quickly). The biggest limiting factor is the standard fuel pump - you can max it out on a stock motor with E85 and a reflash. In my case even with 10% ethanol and a completely stock engine (just the Hondata reflash) I am very briefly peaking at 99% duty cycles for the fuel pump at peak torque rpms.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 16:20
Yea I went to my local track when my car was completely stock when the weather was 10-20 degree Celsius. The temp gauge did creep up a bit so I would cool down for half a lap once (about 45 seconds) in a 20 min session.

I do plan to go back to the track later this year now that I have a few mods. I also have a set of Toyo R888R so I'd imagine those will help the most with lap times. Our local track isn't a power track so I doubt the added power will do much.

Yea, I heard the same thing too Jeff about the grille being the most effective mod. So I got myself one from Aliexpress and slap a real red Honda badge from the FD2 CTR (not sure if the FK8 one would fit actually, I just didn't want to remove it from my OEM grille to keep everything intact).

Here's a picture:

The stage 1 tune adds power all over the place vs stock. The intercooler doesn't add more power. It keeps the IAT in check but since I haven't tracked it yet after installation, I don't know how effective it is. The downpipe with the stage 1 downpipe tune feels like it lifts power pretty much everywhere on the torque curve. However, it might feel that way because as Jeff mentioned, the spool time is quicker. The car feels more responsive. Unfortunately I didn't dyno it when the car was stock, so there's not much point in me doing a dyno as I wouldn't have any base line numbers to compare with. Having said that, I believe most people dyno at 290-300whp stock, and 350whp with a stage 1 tune. The downpipe is supposed to add 15whp before tuning. I believe these are dynojet figures.

Let's just say unless the road is smooth, full throttle acceleration in second gear on the stock tires would cause massive wheel spin easily....lol.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 09:07
In a stroke of genius this morning, I opened the hatch and it smoked the open garage door above it. I've now got about a large pin head sized chip in the black spoiler paint. The best part is that I was careful about opening it every other time in there, but this time I was distracted and man, great feeling. I suppose I will look for some touch up paint but once it is done it won't be noticed by anyone but me.
KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 09:42
DCR wrote:
In a stroke of genius this morning, I opened the hatch and it smoked the open garage door above it. I've now got about a large pin head sized chip in the black spoiler paint. The best part is that I was careful about opening it every other time in there, but this time I was distracted and man, great feeling. I suppose I will look for some touch up paint but once it is done it won't be noticed by anyone but me.

Oh brutal man, sucks when stuff like that is self inflicted but at least it doesn't sound like much damage. How has the hood and front end been holding up? Any chips or nicks from rocks and such? I can't remember if you mentioned getting a ceramic coating or film somewhere on this thread. Either way I hope you've been spared that pain so far.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 10:17
I didn't coat the front but it seems to be holding up well. I'm fully expecting those sorts of chips to arrive if I don't do something.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2018 12:16
Now that I have put 2500 miles on the car and the honeymoon is over, I would say that my only lasting complaint is the cheap shit steering wheel controls. I guess that is a good thing, but my left hand is always, constantly reminding me these are there. Hard, jabby plastics make no sense here.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 01:30
A little grainy but while I was waiting in the city for a friend to get down to the street, I snapped a night pic.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0