[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
RLX --> Re: 2019 Acura RLX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: '08 Honda Leather
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 12:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Yesterday I waited until the afternoon rush hour had set in, and I took off in the RDX for a drive loop on the local roads, most of which were posted at 45mph, though I did spend a few miles on a couple 35mph roads.

I picked a loop that caught me up in a pretty decent amount of bumper to bumper traffic, but there were spots where it opened up a little bit between lights. I didn't "hypermile" - I drove exactly with the flow of traffic, which meant I rarely got it into boost and I generally used very light throttle openings. At the end my loop was almost 19 miles and I ended up with an average of 24.7mpg according to the car's trip computer. I had been just over 25mpg until the VERY end where I caught some bad luck. While I generally hate the autostop feature, it for sure help on this loop yesterday as I waited many minutes in some cases to get moving again.

This is actually a better number than I thought it would achieve. ~25mpg in Atlanta commuter traffic for a 270hp non-hybrid CUV is actually pretty solid, in fact.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 12:52
I wonder what it can do on the open road.

I just did an LA to Phoenix trip with my family and all our gear in our 2014 SH-AWD MDX. I estimate about 800 lbs of people and luggage so we were probably pushing 5000 lbs. Most of the trip I was doing a solid 80mph and a good bit of the trip is going uphill. Way uphill for about a 15 mile stretch.

I did it at a pump verified 24 mpg, which I thought was good for that level of effort driving. My in-laws were behind me in their 4.0 Explorer and did 18 mpg keeping up with me.

Be curious to see what the RDX could do in in the same situation.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 13:07
NSXman wrote:
I wonder what it can do on the open road.

I just did an LA to Phoenix trip with my family and all our gear in our 2014 SH-AWD MDX. I estimate about 800 lbs of people and luggage so we were probably pushing 5000 lbs. Most of the trip I was doing a solid 80mph and a good bit of the trip is going uphill. Way uphill for about a 15 mile stretch.

I did it at a pump verified 24 mpg, which I thought was good for that level of effort driving. My in-laws were behind me in their 4.0 Explorer and did 18 mpg keeping up with me.

Be curious to see what the RDX could do in in the same situation.

Just a guess, but I don't think the RDX would be able to match that, not at those speeds nor with the 15mile uphill stretch. 24mpg is pretty impressive for the MDX SH-AWD given the parameters. I'm actually a little impressed that the 4.0 Explorer managed to even get 18 in those circumstances.

I'll let you know how it goes from ATL to Knoxville tomorrow.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 13:15
I am impressed the explorer was even able to keep up!
bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 13:23
JeffX wrote:
Yesterday I waited until the afternoon rush hour had set in, and I took off in the RDX for a drive loop on the local roads, most of which were posted at 45mph, though I did spend a few miles on a couple 35mph roads.

I picked a loop that caught me up in a pretty decent amount of bumper to bumper traffic, but there were spots where it opened up a little bit between lights. I didn't "hypermile" - I drove exactly with the flow of traffic, which meant I rarely got it into boost and I generally used very light throttle openings. At the end my loop was almost 19 miles and I ended up with an average of 24.7mpg according to the car's trip computer. I had been just over 25mpg until the VERY end where I caught some bad luck. While I generally hate the autostop feature, it for sure help on this loop yesterday as I waited many minutes in some cases to get moving again.

This is actually a better number than I thought it would achieve. ~25mpg in Atlanta commuter traffic for a 270hp non-hybrid CUV is actually pretty solid, in fact.

Hey Jeff-I just picked up my RDX on Wednesday in the Chicagoland area and drove it home which was about 120 highway miles. Since then I have driven around town and am up to 175 miles but am only averaging 19.5 mpg thus far. I realize there is a break in period but over half of my driving has been on the highway and all has been in comfort mode (except for one time on highway I revved it up in sport-plus mode). I am hoping that I will start to see better MPG. I will keep reporting as I get more experience with the car. Overall it's a knockout vehicle though and I have that giddy feeling I had with the 3G TL, but I think I like this even more given all the tech goodies available now vs back in 2004.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 13:31
bnilhome wrote:
JeffX wrote:

Hey Jeff-I just picked up my RDX on Wednesday in the Chicagoland area and drove it home which was about 120 highway miles. Since then I have driven around town and am up to 175 miles but am only averaging 19.5 mpg thus far. I realize there is a break in period but over half of my driving has been on the highway and all has been in comfort mode (except for one time on highway I revved it up in sport-plus mode). I am hoping that I will start to see better MPG. I will keep reporting as I get more experience with the car. Overall it's a knockout vehicle though and I have that giddy feeling I had with the 3G TL, but I think I like this even more given all the tech goodies available now vs back in 2004.

Before my "commuter loop" the trip computer was hovering in the 22mpg range, and that was with quite a bit of highway driving. But during the "commuter loop" run I realized how much I normally tend to stab the throttle in the RDX, because it's fun. If you can keep it out of the boost and not worry about slicing through the mundacity of slow moving commuter traffic, the payoff seems to be a fairly impressive return on MPGs. But it gets thirsty when you get into even moderate boost. this is why I think at 80mph with a lot of uphill segments it would be lucky to return 24mpg. The Ridgeline was pretty solid on the freeway - easy 25mpg without thinking about it and clocking 80mph or more.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 13:48
JeffX wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
JeffX wrote:

Before my "commuter loop" the trip computer was hovering in the 22mpg range, and that was with quite a bit of highway driving. But during the "commuter loop" run I realized how much I normally tend to stab the throttle in the RDX, because it's fun. If you can keep it out of the boost and not worry about slicing through the mundacity of slow moving commuter traffic, the payoff seems to be a fairly impressive return on MPGs. But it gets thirsty when you get into even moderate boost. this is why I think at 80mph with a lot of uphill segments it would be lucky to return 24mpg. The Ridgeline was pretty solid on the freeway - easy 25mpg without thinking about it and clocking 80mph or more.

Yes. My Accord gulps fuel in boost. I can get 25mpg or 40mpg on the same routejust by changing throttle and speed habits. It truly can get spectacular fuel economy if youíre careful. Over 10k miles Iíve averaged 31mpg and my best over a tank has been 38. But on short trips if I drive quickly and in the boost I can get low 20ís.

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 13:58
25 mpg is around 9.5 l/100km, which is good for that vehicle and driving conditions. I just think the V6's mileage wouldn't be too far off.
Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 14:48
Sasker wrote:
25 mpg is around 9.5 l/100km, which is good for that vehicle and driving conditions. I just think the V6's mileage wouldn't be too far off.

I agree. I think the thing with the 2.0T is that itís Capable of better fuel economy than the V6 is capable of. But on the same token, it is also capable of worse if your driving style is somewhat aggressive.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "highway" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 23:07
Ok, so my plans changed yesterday and the RDX sat in the driveway while we drove one of our own cars to Knoxville so I was unable to perform the long highway run testing that I hoped to do.

But today we went across town and as soon as I got on the freeway I reset the trip odometer and set the cruise on 70mph. I tried like hell to hold 70 but we actually ended up catching a couple major traffic slowdowns (actually a complete stop, once) and then it opened up for the remainder of the trip. Anyhow, for the first leg we went 28.2 miles and it recorded 29.9mpg. On the return trip home, we bailed for local roads to avoid the one spot so we only had 14.1 miles on the freeway but I was able to hold it on the cruise at 70mph almost the entire time (no major slowdowns or stops) and for this 14.1 mile highway segment it recorded 29.5mpg. We then continued driving on local "city" roads and it finished up at 26.1mpg over a total of 31.5 miles (so about 45% highway). For the most part I stayed out of the boost but I did whack the loud hammer a couple times along the way.

Hopefully the trip computer is reasonably accurate - these numbers are better than I had expected.

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 23:16
JeffX wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
JeffX wrote:

I have about 400 miles on the new RDX with about half on highway and half in town. I have had in comfort mode all but 5 times when I put in sport plus. I am right at 21.0 mpgs right now. I was hoping to get closer to 23. I do think moving from V6 MDX to 10 speed twin turbo 4 cylinder will take some time to minimize getting into that turbo zone or higher RPM ranges. But overall this is an amazing vehicle and should dominate the segment for years to come. Easily the best Acura I have ever owned.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0