[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
More.......................
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Sachsenring TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> New H70 pumps freezing
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Car recommendation for cheap track fun?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Acclaimed 2018 Accords sit on the lot
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Celaya Plant Flooding and Recovery
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> '18 HAH vs '17 HAH
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: ROAD TRIP... SOB Oregon cops
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 19:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
"The problem, as speaker Nico Larco, director of the Urbanism Next Center at the University of Oregon, explained, is that many cities balance their budgets using money brought in by cars: gas taxes, vehicle registration fees, traffic tickets, and billions of dollars in parking revenue. But driverless cars don't need these things: Many will be electric, will never get a ticket, and can circle the block endlessly rather than park. Because these sources account for somewhere between 15 and 50 percent of city transportation revenue in America, as autonomous vehicles become more common, huge deficits are ahead."

https://www.wired.com/story/autonomous-vehicles-might-drive-cities-to-financial-ruin/

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 23:00
No problem - Government always finds a way to collect. Road use fees/toll in metropolitan areas and tax imposed on fuel/electricity. Don't you worry about cities going broke. They will find new ways.
HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 23:29
silverf16 wrote:
No problem - Government always finds a way to collect. Road use fees/toll in metropolitan areas and tax imposed on fuel/electricity. Don't you worry about cities going broke. They will find new ways.

From the same article:

"But many states, urged on by auto manufacturers, won't let cities take these steps. Several have already acted to block local policies regulating self-driving cars. Michigan, for example, does not allow Detroit, a short drive away from that Ann Arbor ballroom, to make any rules about driverless cars."

So it's not so clear cut...

Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-27-2018 18:47
Good ol' urbanism. I know someone, whose ideology I despise but I get along well enough with and I went to his meeting on urbanism. He ran away from my question about how poor people can benefit from urbanism if they can't afford to live in those neighborhoods or the real-life practicality of it.

I hope this autonomous vehicle fad dies quickly.

DannyB
Profile for DannyB
Re: Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 09:29
Power Of Dreams wrote:
Good ol' urbanism. I know someone, whose ideology I despise but I get along well enough with and I went to his meeting on urbanism. He ran away from my question about how poor people can benefit from urbanism if they can't afford to live in those neighborhoods or the real-life practicality of it.

Autonomous cars are most certainly not a fad. They are the future.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 09:58
HondaForever wrote:
silverf16 wrote:

From the same article:

"But many states, urged on by auto manufacturers, won't let cities take these steps. Several have already acted to block local policies regulating self-driving cars. Michigan, for example, does not allow Detroit, a short drive away from that Ann Arbor ballroom, to make any rules about driverless cars."

So it's not so clear cut...

Cities, local municipalities, etc. have the power to tax and charge fees, so the article is pretty much wrong. That is not "regulating" self-driving cars. See Philly and NYC soda taxes, as an example.

As silver said, governments (Fed, ST, local) will ALWAYS find a way to collect their "fair share".

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 11:32
DannyB wrote:
Power Of Dreams wrote:

I personally think that remains to be seen. Who is really pushing for the tech? Is it the free market? Or is it government? Maybe a little of both?

If its the free market, I think autonomous vehicles will fall into place and become part of a group of cars, like airport shuttles, delivery vehicles, etc.

If it is the government, then I think it will get pushed to the point that the expense will push many out of the ownership bracket as price will force them into ride shares.

My $0.02 is that the aspect that is free market has heard about the tech and thinks it is neat, but has no idea of the price tag that comes with it. In that regard, it will be a fad.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 17:36
Big issue for government is the future lack of fines/tickets income...
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Autonomous Vehicles Might Drive Cities to Financial Ruin    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 20:25
DannyB wrote:
Power Of Dreams wrote:

I would not say autonomous cars are certainly the future. I don't think the public is pushing for them, it is mainly govt. and car makers, it is still expensive clumsy technology so far that has claimed a few lives and caused several accidents. All it takes is another high profile accident or two for the public to turn against it and want it off the roads. I think better accident avoidance tech and smarter cruise control with people still basically driving the vehicle will be the future while full autonomous tech that does not need a driver will be reserved mainly for people with disabilities and other rare cases.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0