[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 German Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indycar Rear-view Mirror: Dixon Deftly Extends Indycar Lead at Toronto
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I'm in a 2019 RDX Advance this week. Any specific questions while I have it?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 GM/Honda Lithium battery and module.
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No H2 in Toyota Vampire Land
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 17:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I spent the better part of the day on Monday with the personnel of a local Honda dealer. The service guys were half jokingly complaining that they're "out of the transmission business" because the CVTs so far have been dead reliable.

Maybe they got used to billing a lot of hours for the failing 5ATs in the '00s.

Just an anecdote I found interesting. The same guys also told me they had the very first turbocharger failure that they've seen since Honda went with the turbos almost 3 years ago. Apparently the car was still running fine but it was making a hell of a noise and they found out that one or more of the impeller blades had broken.

revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 20:24
Good to know, since the very nature of the CVT makes me distrust it.

Anything about direct injection carbon build up?

High pressure fuel injectors?

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 20:48
A lot of the original CVT problems are using the wrong CVTF. The CVTs after that I haven't heard of any problems either.
Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 05:33
This is the kind of situation called:

Between "the knife and the wall" kind of...

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 08:07
Mixed the pages... was meant to be posted in McLaren thread (Boulier)
HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 14:09
JeffX wrote:
I spent the better part of the day on Monday with the personnel of a local Honda dealer. The service guys were half jokingly complaining that they're "out of the transmission business" because the CVTs so far have been dead reliable.

Maybe they got used to billing a lot of hours for the failing 5ATs in the '00s.

Just an anecdote I found interesting. The same guys also told me they had the very first turbocharger failure that they've seen since Honda went with the turbos almost 3 years ago. Apparently the car was still running fine but it was making a hell of a noise and they found out that one or more of the impeller blades had broken.

Would this also be an indication that, so far (~ 3 years), the 9 speeds have also been very reliable? Jerky under some conditions, perhaps, but maybe reliable, as in not failing at an extraordinary rate?

Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 14:13
fishchan wrote:
A lot of the original CVT problems are using the wrong CVTF. The CVTs after that I haven't heard of any problems either.

fishchan ... here is a horror story to match your point...

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180614/goof-of-the-month-red-fluid-destroys-transmission/

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 19:37
Jovian8 wrote:
fishchan wrote:

fishchan ... here is a horror story to match your point...

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180614/goof-of-the-month-red-fluid-destroys-transmission/

Is the part about the equipment needed for CVT fluid replacement true? I didn’t realize CVT’s actually needed to be flushed and couldn’t just be drained and refilled

User2012
Profile for User2012
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 12:12
The 9 speed has had terrible reliability so bad that Honda extended the warranty on them to 10 years.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 12:30
User2012 wrote:
The 9 speed has had terrible reliability so bad that Honda extended the warranty on them to 10 years.

They need to stop buying those trannys and install their own 10 speed.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 13:18
superchg2 wrote:
User2012 wrote:

For the life of me, I can't understand why Honda couldn't/didn't terminate for cause when it comes to any contract or purchase order they had with ZF for that dumpster fire of a transmission. It has unquestionably caused damage to their goodwill, resale values, repair/replacement costs, recalls, etc. I think the press, dealers, and customers would've rejoiced at a return to the 6AT in 2016 while they brought the 10AT to production-readiness in 2017 as a 2018 model.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 13:41
I was actually digging around awhile ago for who made the CVT in my wife's Murano. Honda looks like the only one that makes their own?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco

http://www.wardsauto.com/industry/jatco-geared-meet-growing-global-cvt-demand

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 13:43
gofast182 wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
User2012 wrote:

For the life of me, I can't understand why Honda couldn't/didn't terminate for cause when it comes to any contract or purchase order they had with ZF for that dumpster fire of a transmission. It has unquestionably caused damage to their goodwill, resale values, repair/replacement costs, recalls, etc. I think the press, dealers, and customers would've rejoiced at a return to the 6AT in 2016 while they brought the 10AT to production-readiness in 2017 as a 2018 model.

Sometimes, it seems that Honda/Acura is a little too steadfast in the content of their products, even at MMC's, especially when there are clearly superior solutions staring them in the face, right on their shelf.

The craptastic 9 speed with the dogleg is one example, and the Si with the underwhelming 1.5t instead of the 2.0t is another, not to mention the HRV carrying on with its turtle paced 1.8, instead of the 1.5t.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 14:46
DCR wrote:
I was actually digging around awhile ago for who made the CVT in my wife's Murano. Honda looks like the only one that makes their own?

My understanding as well. Jatco and Aisin are the big CVT suppliers for other automakers. Honda is one of the few automakers left who makes their own transmissions, be they CVT, manual, or conventional automatics.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 15:23
gofast182 wrote:
DCR wrote:

My understanding as well. Jatco and Aisin are the big CVT suppliers for other automakers. Honda is one of the few automakers left who makes their own transmissions, be they CVT, manual, or conventional automatics.

GM and Ford went together jointly on their 10 speed automatic.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2018 04:54
It seems Honda found the exact balance for belt strength, oil lubrication, pulley pressure and ECU gear control. As DCR already mentioned, Honda makes their CVT belts and transmissions in house, while Toyota group relies on AISIN and Nissan + Suzuki get theirs from JATCO. Subaru is getting their CVT Chain from LUK in Germany.
Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2018 17:32
As I stated in a post on the Accord board, the CVT and the 1.5T are a damn-near perfect match for one another. The transmission just works, and works well!
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2018 17:42
Gfn8r wrote:
As I stated in a post on the Accord board, the CVT and the 1.5T are a damn-near perfect match for one another. The transmission just works, and works well!

Why they don't put this combo into the MMC HRV makes no sense.

DannyB
Profile for DannyB
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 14:30
superchg2 wrote:
Gfn8r wrote:

I suspect they don't want to make the HDV too appealing to compete with the CRV.

I'm very curious to see what engine they end up putting in the next Fit and HRV. 1.3T?

DannyB
Profile for DannyB
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 14:30
superchg2 wrote:
Gfn8r wrote:

I suspect they don't want to make the HDV too appealing to compete with the CRV.

I'm very curious to see what engine they end up putting in the next Fit and HRV. 1.3T?

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 15:08
revvin wrote:

You can search the forums, but anecdotally, I've had to review a few wrecked Accord DI engines from last gen and I still haven't seen any carbon buildup. The PCV system in those vehicles work perfectly fine, although I'm still kind of dubious about how effective Honda's weird "tying the PCV tube to a coolant tube" thing works.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 16:14
Family had a Civic HX with the CVT. It had 270k miles on it before selling it. Didn't show any signs of it failing either.
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 23:58
DannyB wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Gfn8r wrote:

Yeah, I doubt that.

First, the HR-V is woefully underpowered.

Second, based on size alone, the HR-V just doesn't come close to competing with the CR-V.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 00:05
CarPhreakD wrote:
revvin wrote:

You can search the forums, but anecdotally, I've had to review a few wrecked Accord DI engines from last gen and I still haven't seen any carbon buildup. The PCV system in those vehicles work perfectly fine, although I'm still kind of dubious about how effective Honda's weird "tying the PCV tube to a coolant tube" thing works.

Are you talking about like a joined metal pipe that carries both?

If so, IIRC, the 1990-1993 Accord used to do that. Granted, different operating circumstances.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 12:17
How small has Honda gone with the turbos? 1.0 maybe? (I thought Ford went that small on the Fiesta.)

Restless
Profile for Restless
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 12:37
In Europe the Mondeo is sold with 1.0T
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Apparently Honda CVTs are quite reliable so far    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 15:38
owequitit wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
revvin wrote:

Are you talking about like a joined metal pipe that carries both?

If so, IIRC, the 1990-1993 Accord used to do that. Granted, different operating circumstances.

Yes, many, if not all Hondas have carried some variation of this even to today. As far as I know, they are the only ones who have always done this whereas other OEMs use all kinds of other solutions (meaning, I'm not sure if it even makes a difference or they're doing it "just because"), making this a weird Honda engineering quirk.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0