[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
More.......................
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Sachsenring TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> New H70 pumps freezing
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Car recommendation for cheap track fun?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Acclaimed 2018 Accords sit on the lot
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Celaya Plant Flooding and Recovery
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> '18 HAH vs '17 HAH
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: ROAD TRIP... SOB Oregon cops
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: 2019 ILX

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3
Author
  Post New Thread
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 11:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
Seems like Acura has some sort of shift in their lineup structure coming if this is just going to be a second refresh. The last time a sedan got a second refresh was the RL - and that happened because they canceled the RWD sedan and so Acura needed to buy time while they worked on the RLX and changed the lineup. Obviously that’s a pretty depressing precedent though the goodness of the RDX gives me a bit more hope this time around.

To put it another way - if the ILX was simply going to continue forward in much the same form as now I personally can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t just put it on the new Civic platform. But if they don’t do that now - 3 years after the 2016 Civic debuted - then I think they clearly have some other ideas for what to do with the platform under the ILX.

Or the ILX is eventually going to go away altogether and they are just holding on to whatever sales they can while they get everything else ready and we’ll see some sort of restructuring of the lineup. I like to remind everyone that Hachigo and Ikeda took over in 2015 so we’re just in year 3 - which isn’t enough time to get anything wholly all-new done.

This.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 11:24
My thoughts on what is going on.

There is now a very big change coming to all Autos caused by all the new laws(China and UK/EU going BEV) and people going more to SUV.

ILX and RLX FMC just came at the wrong time(now).So they cancelled both FMC(ILX MY19, RLX MY20).

I think a Ohio built CDX(built on todays ILX line) will replace the ILX(built off next gen. Fit Platform).

Next gen. TLX will replace ILX,TLX and RLX(base engine 2.0t with Type-S 3.0t and Sport Hybrid model).

Next RLX(around 2021) becoming a FCEV(maybe BEV too).

Honda's next gen. engine family is do in 2020.Looks like Honda is going the same way with engines as Mazda(very low friction and adj. compression).

I was told the next gen. ILX was going to be made in the UK.I wonder if the BRIXIT and Tariffs killed that plan????

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 12:00
RolledaNsx wrote:

There is now a very big change coming to all Autos caused by all the new laws(China and UK/EU going BEV) and people going more to SUV.

ILX and RLX FMC just came at the wrong time(now).So they cancelled both FMC(ILX MY19, RLX MY20).

I think a Ohio built CDX(built on todays ILX line) will replace the ILX(built off next gen. Fit Platform).

Next gen. TLX will replace ILX,TLX and RLX(base engine 2.0t with Type-S 3.0t and Sport Hybrid model).

Honda's next gen. engine family is do in 2020.Looks like Honda is going the same way with engines as Mazda(very low friction and adj. compression).

I was told the next gen. ILX was going to be made in the UK.I wonder if the BRIXIT and Tariffs killed that plan????

This sounds awful.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 13:10
RolledaNsx wrote:
I was told the next gen. ILX was going to be made in the UK. I wonder if the BREXIT and Tariffs killed that plan????

Based on some numbers that our company has been running (not in the auto business but similar issues), I would think Manufacturing in the UK for sale in US is MORE advantageous than before. It's likely that there will be LESS of a Tariff on imports from UK than from EU or Japan or Korea or China.

In short, having capacity in England may be a blessing for Honda.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 13:15
One more thing to consider: It is POSSIBLE that the ILX refresh is being put off so that it can be based on the Next Gen Civic instead of the current gen Civic?

There is precedent for generation skipping: As I recall, there was no Integra based on the 1996 generation Civic. They continued cars based on the 1992 Civic until introduction of the RSX in 2002, which was based on 2000 Civic.

aids333
Profile for aids333
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 14:55
Bullwinkle wrote:
One more thing to consider: It is POSSIBLE that the ILX refresh is being put off so that it can be based on the Next Gen Civic instead of the current gen Civic?

There is precedent for generation skipping: As I recall, there was no Integra based on the 1996 generation Civic. They continued cars based on the 1992 Civic until introduction of the RSX in 2002, which was based on 2000 Civic.

You have a point... though the updates from 5th to 6th gen civic were minor. You can swap many suspension and drivetrain components from a 92 civic to 2000 civic/integra and vice-versa.

The most recent 9th to 10th gen changes are significant. It would seem like a waste to skip as the new civic/accord platform is really good.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 15:45
aids333 wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

You have a point... though the updates from 5th to 6th gen civic were minor. You can swap many suspension and drivetrain components from a 92 civic to 2000 civic/integra and vice-versa.

The most recent 9th to 10th gen changes are significant. It would seem like a waste to skip as the new civic/accord platform is really good.

The alternative is the ILX leads the next iteration of the platform, with Civic, CR-V, and Accord following.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 16:44
aids333 wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

Yeah - there just isn't any reason for Acura to wait for something better than an AWD CTR. Which almost certainly means they have something different in mind.

I think Rolled's thoughts make the most sense.

If I think about the rumored double wishbone TLX and the spy shots we've seen....I still say it makes the most sense for Acura to make the next-gen TLX 186 inches or so - and just give it every variant possible: 1.5T, 2.0T, 3.0T, Sport Hybrid.

Then cancel the ILX and "replace" it with a CDX SUV. If you want a small Acura sedan to replace your current ILX the base TLX would fit your needs. If you need something truly small the CDX would be what Acura offers. And if you want a truly small sedan then you'll buy something else. Acura CAN'T fill every single need. But a sub-RDX SUV makes a hell of a lot more sense than a sub-TLX Sedan.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 16:55
jshaw wrote:

The alternative is the ILX leads the next iteration of the platform, with Civic, CR-V, and Accord following.

I have always thought that one reason for the popularity of the MDX is that it has always led the Pilot. At least maybe introduce the next gen Civic and ILX concurrently.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 17:50
RolledaNsx wrote:

Those predictions sound absolutely horrible. Good way to totally destroy a brand and make sure you have no interesting products that don't sell but then considering how utterly clueless Honda's management is with Acura and the luxury market that is probably exactly what they would do.

Imagine if Lexus said we are just going have to the ES with added 4cyl and awd replace every car in our lineup and maybe do a fuel cell or electric in the future and a car based on sub corolla or if Mercedes said we are going to just have the CLA replace all our Tier 1 sedans and maybe do a full electric or fuel cell if you want anything above it, the brands would be mostly ruined over night.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 17:57
It’s most likely that Acura management is not expecting great things from prolonging the lifespan of the current ILX which is already a long-in-the-tooth design. It looks more like a stop-gap move aimed at providing some sales vs. zero sales while it works on a proper reworking of its sedan line-up. Understandably, the TLX re-design takes priority over the much slower-selling ILX, hence we appear to be getting a second ILX refresh.

Acura no doubt is well aware of how much upgrading it’s going to take for its sedans to get back into contention but while working on that upgrading, it has chosen to keep on selling non-SUVs. So its existing products have been getting tweaks here and there to not fall too horribly behind. Sales haven’t been great but they’re still moving thousands of non-SUV units a month so it’s hard to fault Acura for wanting to keep those thousands of sales - in excess of 3,000 in June stateside alone - in the mix.

If the new RDX represents the direction new-product development is going at Acura, there is reason to expect good things from the full re-designs of Acura’s sedans that are in the pipeline. In the meantime, Acura dealerships would hardly want to be left with no non-SUVs to sell. Selling a weakish but not horrible range of sedans as a stop-gap is not a great place to be but it beats not offering sedans of any stripe.

By the way, regarding the TLX falling short as a proper TL replacement, the 2.4L version that I bought is more of a TSX replacement. As a TSX follow-up it’s quite solid. Many TLX 2.4L buyers, myself included, appear to be quite happy with their purchase. Good car for the money, I think, and by no means one that would cause me to sour on Acura.

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 22:16
Porsche didn't destroy their brand when they added SUV's. Acura sedans are already weak in a declining market, so getting rid of their two weakest (very weak) isn't going to hurt their brand much. It won't help either, but isn't going to ruin them.

The CDX in place of the ILX make sense if production capacity in the US is a concern. They'll sell more of those than ILX's anyway.

lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

Those predictions sound absolutely horrible. Good way to totally destroy a brand and make sure you have no interesting products that don't sell but then considering how utterly clueless Honda's management is with Acura and the luxury market that is probably exactly what they would do.

Imagine if Lexus said we are just going have to the ES with added 4cyl and awd replace every car in our lineup and maybe do a fuel cell or electric in the future and a car based on sub corolla or if Mercedes said we are going to just have the CLA replace all our Tier 1 sedans and maybe do a full electric or fuel cell if you want anything above it, the brands would be mostly ruined over night.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 23:05
typer_801 wrote:
Porsche didn't destroy their brand when they added SUV's. Acura sedans are already weak in a declining market, so getting rid of their two weakest (very weak) isn't going to hurt their brand much. It won't help either, but isn't going to ruin them.

The CDX in place of the ILX make sense if production capacity in the US is a concern. They'll sell more of those than ILX's anyway.

lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

That is because Porsche had a solid plan to go along with the Cayanne and was not just doing downmarket VW plus with everything based on lower end VW's.

They steadily improved 911's, added more versions, added more models, gave the Cayanne what it needed to compete and in many ways dominate its segment, and added some real amazing flagship no compromise super cars with unique powerplants to keep the interest and passion for the brand.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 00:11
RolledaNsx wrote:

Doable, the MDX,RDX and TLX volume will be enough to pay for the "Acura" only platform. And I agree with everyone that with limited resources, Acura would be smart in today's market to go with a CUV instead of a compact ILX.

aids333
Profile for aids333
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 11:31
CarmB wrote:
It’s most likely that Acura management is not expecting great things from prolonging the lifespan of the current ILX which is already a long-in-the-tooth design. It looks more like a stop-gap move aimed at providing some sales vs. zero sales while it works on a proper reworking of its sedan line-up. Understandably, the TLX re-design takes priority over the much slower-selling ILX, hence we appear to be getting a second ILX refresh.

Acura no doubt is well aware of how much upgrading it’s going to take for its sedans to get back into contention but while working on that upgrading, it has chosen to keep on selling non-SUVs. So its existing products have been getting tweaks here and there to not fall too horribly behind. Sales haven’t been great but they’re still moving thousands of non-SUV units a month so it’s hard to fault Acura for wanting to keep those thousands of sales - in excess of 3,000 in June stateside alone - in the mix.

If the new RDX represents the direction new-product development is going at Acura, there is reason to expect good things from the full re-designs of Acura’s sedans that are in the pipeline. In the meantime, Acura dealerships would hardly want to be left with no non-SUVs to sell. Selling a weakish but not horrible range of sedans as a stop-gap is not a great place to be but it beats not offering sedans of any stripe.

By the way, regarding the TLX falling short as a proper TL replacement, the 2.4L version that I bought is more of a TSX replacement. As a TSX follow-up it’s quite solid. Many TLX 2.4L buyers, myself included, appear to be quite happy with their purchase. Good car for the money, I think, and by no means one that would cause me to sour on Acura.

Good point on the TSX replacement. I've got a TSX SW as a daily that if the TLX came in a wagon I would consider it a decent replacement for that car. A solid upgrade actually.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 13:06
I had a 2013 base ILX for a service loaner for a day back at that time and my main complaints were the feeling of cheapness about the interior, the sloppy handling, and the road noise. I understand those three issues were addressed with the MMC but I think the styling updates turned a bland sedan into an overly busy one.

My thoughts for an ILX I'd consider buying:

- The new RDX looks pretty nice but don't just morph its styling down to a Civic sedan-based blob. An ILX cloned off of the RDX might look like a cross between a Citroen and modern Trabant. No thanks.

- The current drivetrain seems nice enough. I think I, like everyone else here, would like to see a detuned Accord 2.0T instead of a softened SI 1.5T matched up with the DCT. We know the 2.4L goes away.

- I don't mind the two screen radio/Nav/HVAC unit in our MDX because I rarely use it. Two screens are fine as long as the upper one is for the Nav and the lower one looks like a double-DIN unit with proper knobs and buttons. Radios which actually look like radios are pretty nice.

- Try to make a new ILX be the Acura of small sporty sedans and not the Acura copy of what Volvo or Audi is trying to do. I can't think anyone out there is really hankering for bargain priced A3.

- How about just getting back to making an interesting sporty small car people want to buy and drive as much as possible? If I could buy a 2019 version of our 3G Integra sedan with the full options list (no why-tech though) and a manual shift I'd write a check to my Acura dealer this weekend. The current dark red but with a dark gray interior would be perfect-o-mundo. And tack on some real, substantial accessories such as real carpeted floor mats (yes, I pony-ed up for the now super rare checkered flag carpeted trunk mat for our Integra) and body side moldings which don't look like they're made for shopping carts.

- No one should need to spend $60k US to get a smartly styled and screwed together compact sporty sedan. Just make it happen for $35k to $40k and I'll buy one.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 17:28
RolledaNsx wrote:

Rolled, my source (who’s extremely creditable) told me differently. The platform diagram I sent Jeff which was confirmed to be an all new sedan platform for the next gen TLX had the following drivetrains options, 2.0t/10AT/FWD, 2.0t/10AT/SHAWD, 3.0t/10AT/SH-AWD a 2.0t/10 speed/FWD PHEV version (the 10 speed used here isn’t the same as the regular Honda/Acura 10AT as it’s a completely different design given the picture). The Sport Hybrid system wasn’t on the list, at least for the TLX.

My source also told me that the RLX and ILX would be the last 2 applications to get FMC’s simply because they’re not very profitable but they will get FMC’s after the volumes sellers get theirs. Even with the CDX possibly coming, Acura would be stupid to axe the RLX/ILX simply because their portfolio is already tiny compared to the leaders in the luxury segment. Acura needs as many models as possible.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 18:59
Civicb18 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

Rolled, my source (who’s extremely creditable) told me differently. The platform diagram I sent Jeff which was confirmed to be an all new sedan platform for the next gen TLX had the following drivetrains options, 2.0t/10AT/FWD, 2.0t/10AT/SHAWD, 3.0t/10AT/SH-AWD a 2.0t/10 speed/FWD PHEV version (the 10 speed used here isn’t the same as the regular Honda/Acura 10AT as it’s a completely different design given the picture). The Sport Hybrid system wasn’t on the list, at least for the TLX.

My source also told me that the RLX and ILX would be the last 2 applications to get FMC’s simply because they’re not very profitable but they will get FMC’s after the volumes sellers get theirs. Even with the CDX possibly coming, Acura would be stupid to axe the RLX/ILX simply because their portfolio is already tiny compared to the leaders in the luxury segment. Acura needs as many models as possible.

Didn't say RLX and ILX was axed, just said the original plans for them has changed so the original FMC for both didn't happen as plan....new ILX was suppose to debut last year or early this year and new RLX was suppose to debut next year.

I see RLX and ILX(if they keep it) built of the new TLX Platform(first of the next gen. Civic/Accord platform but with Double Wishbone Suspension upfront).
RLX-HEV(eSH-AWD) and FCEV models(AWD)
ILX-ICE(new 2020 family engine) and HEV(Two-Motor or eSH-AWD) also with ICE SH-AWD version too.

briansxr
Profile for briansxr
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 19:36
I always felt that Acuras lineup was small, if they don't plan on making a "mini" nsx then to fill that hole should go a ILX coupe or TLX coupe or even both.

I think a solid lineup for Acura would be:
ILX - coupe and sedan
TLX - coupe and sedan (a wagon would be great too)
RLX - sedan
then 4 SUVs
CDX, RDX, MDX, and revival of ZDX
with the halo sportscar on top, NSX

That would be 10 different variations of cars that would cover most of the range that buyers would want, sporty coupes in reach of regular buyers that cant afford the NSX but want a 2 door. With rwd bias SHAWD, the coupes could be a real contenders in the class. With SUVs becoming the class to be in, bringing back the ZDX might work out pretty well.

RP
Profile for RP
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 10:31
I think bringing back the ZDX is a good idea, but this time they should do a different approach. They should slot the ZDX above the MDX and have it compete with SUV’s like the Navigator, QX80, and Escalade. I think Acura already mentioned they weren’t interested in that segment though.
@lanta
Profile for @lanta
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 11:26
RP wrote:
I think bringing back the ZDX is a good idea, but this time they should do a different approach. They should slot the ZDX above the MDX and have it compete with SUV’s like the Navigator, QX80, and Escalade. I think Acura already mentioned they weren’t interested in that segment though.

No, not those models. Think more Audi Q8 and BMW X6. The trucks you listed are literal behemoths... body on frame SUV's. Zero chance a platform like that comes from Honda.

Audi building the Q8 is a great indicator of what the market wants and where it is headed. ZDX was way ahead of its time, but the execution was a tad off. Contrary to popular belief, the MDX platform was the *correct* platform, just like X6 is derived from X5 and Q8 is derived from Q7. From what I remember, the ZDX's driving dynamics were great, the styling proportions were where it fell short.

MDX platform should be used again with the flagship drivetrain layout, especially since it'll be beefed up for next gen. Give it the 3.0t/top spec Sport Hybrid system what have you.

If Acura tackles this segment again and markets it like the Q8, a high end luxury 5 seater coupe-like SUV that is also practical and packed with their best technology, they have a winner. Increases brand cache too. With SUV's being so popular today, it makes a lot more sense for the ZDX to rep the best of what Acura has to offer instead of the RLX. Or even the MDX, as some people here have mentioned it should be considered Acura's flagship since nothing sits above it and the RLX is a dud.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 13:07
RP wrote:

ZDX was always meant to be a more upscale version of the MDX. If you recall Acura at one point even called it their flagship. I actually liked the ZDX it was just badly executed and was a gas pig. The interior was top notch however.

If Acura was to take another shot at ZDX they would have to load it with performance, best in class materials, great styling/proportions and price it under the Germans and they may find a niche, also dont try to advertise it to empty nesters again as it's such a small buyer and they mostly would be more interested in a Prius anyways.

aids333
Profile for aids333
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 20:10
Civicb18 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
My thoughts on what is going on....???

An American Honda employee all but confirmed the 2019 ILX is a minor update. :(

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 20:35
aids333 wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

With sedans already on the ropes, one has to wonder why Acura chooses to lose money by bringing rehashed lLX's and RLX's to dealers when there are no buyers?!

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 21:08
Mikeydred wrote:
RP wrote:

ZDX was always meant to be a more upscale version of the MDX. If you recall Acura at one point even called it their flagship. I actually liked the ZDX it was just badly executed and was a gas pig. The interior was top notch however.

If Acura was to take another shot at ZDX they would have to load it with performance, best in class materials, great styling/proportions and price it under the Germans and they may find a niche, also dont try to advertise it to empty nesters again as it's such a small buyer and they mostly would be more interested in a Prius anyways.

Poor wheelbase to body proportion is the main weakness of the ZDX's exterior - it looks quite awkward. Design-wise, I love the exterior: it has that mysterious other-worldly look.

The market the ZDX was targeting is a niche market. I think many thought it was a foolish thing to go after this market when Acura's core lineup were having problems during this time.

Prion
Profile for Prion
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 22:25
aids333 wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

2016 CR-Z all over again. Throw everything in the parts bin at it to fix all except what's keeping it from selling.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2018 04:29
RP wrote:

I don’t think Acura needs a full size, body on frame SUV. Sure they’re profitable but I think that would be straying in a different direction. I would actually welcome the return of the ZDX as long as the proportions were good and it was priced accordingly. The coupe/crossover things sell pretty well as I see plenty of X4’s X6’s, GLE coupe etc etc in my area. Again if the styling was executed correctly, Acura could bring back the ZDX and make an RDX based model as well. Milk the platforms to the max as these types of vehicles don’t take a lot of additional resources to develop and produce as they’re built off existing vehicles and are highly profitable.

One car is REALLY like to see is a midsize coupe based off the next gen TLX. It just can’t be a TLX with 2 less doors. I’d say widen the track (vs the sedan) for a really nice, low stance. Lower the roofline, frameless side windows (maybe even pillarless side windows), SH-AWD standard on the base 2.0t and of course a hot 3.0t Type-S model. Give both engines a bit more power vs the TLX with a bit more aggressive suspension tuning and......we just may have something.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2018 06:45
RolledaNsx wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

Didn't say RLX and ILX was axed, just said the original plans for them has changed so the original FMC for both didn't happen as plan....new ILX was suppose to debut last year or early this year and new RLX was suppose to debut next year.

I see RLX and ILX(if they keep it) built of the new TLX Platform(first of the next gen. Civic/Accord platform but with Double Wishbone Suspension upfront).
RLX-HEV(eSH-AWD) and FCEV models(AWD)
ILX-ICE(new 2020 family engine) and HEV(Two-Motor or eSH-AWD) also with ICE SH-AWD version too.

Sourcing the '19 ILX from Swindon would have made a great deal of sense - once. Maybe not now.

Though I am baffled by Honda deciding to extend the model cycle of the current, antiquated, under-performing sheds. Maybe the disastrous Legend, yes, but I'd have thought there'd have been an economy of scale to move the ILX onto the current Civic/Insight architecture. But what do I know..?

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2018 10:32
briansxr wrote:
I always felt that Acuras lineup was small, if they don't plan on making a "mini" nsx then to fill that hole should go a ILX coupe or TLX coupe or even both.

ILX - coupe and sedan
RLX - sedan
then 4 SUVs

That would be 10 different variations of cars that would cover most of the range that buyers would want, sporty coupes in reach of regular buyers that cant afford the NSX but want a 2 door. With rwd bias SHAWD, the coupes could be a real contenders in the class. With SUVs becoming the class to be in, bringing back the ZDX might work out pretty well.

In the past Acura has talked about how variations within a model itself (as in, the MDX SHAWD vs the Sport Hybrid) are another way for them to add variance to the lineup. I don't see 10 models for Acura anytime soon but I do think we'll see more variants - Acura simply doesn't have the volume for that many models. And - yes I understand it's a catch-22 situation but right now Acura has to get it's core lineup structured properly before thinking about volume expansion. Also if you read the commentary about the new RDX - the A-spec presents itself almost as an entirely different car to buyers so I think Acura can find success with this kind of strategy. We also know that Type-S models are coming and every model will have an A-spec.

I've made this point in other threads but having both the ILX and TLX be compacts anchors their lineup in the $30K range. Right now the only discussion Acura sedan buyers have about "moving up" to a different model are from a $31K ILX to a $34K TLX. The TLX is their main volume driver so they need to position it to where buyers have many options in front of them to spend MORE money. Right now TLX buyers just have the $44K TLX A-spec...OR the $54K RLX FWD and I think it's quite clear that many people aren't interested in making that particular leap.

What I'm afraid will happen is that they'll keep the ILX as a true compact then make the TLX more of a Q50 size. The problem with that is there aren't many buyers who will ever want more car than a midsize sedan (so no one will buy the RLX) and no one will take the ILX seriously as a 3/A4/C-class competitor - which screws up their marketing. The TLX is their main volume driver and is their 3/A4/C-class alternative - having the ILX down there keeps buyers focused on sub-$35K pricing and confuses people as to what car they "should" be thinking about if they are a German sedan buyer. It also quite clearly hasn't worked at all given the lack of sales for the ILX.

A proper TLX would be the entry sedan, would be sized appropriately to the competition, and would have a ton of variants. That way they can focus their marketing, give buyers a bunch of options to "move up", and mostly leave behind the sub-$35K price bracket for sedans. The CDX would be down there.

I would also argue for the RLX to move "up" to a 3.0T only model - or if they want to do some sort of FCEV or BEV thing then whatever - but they sell so few of them they might as well make it crazy - a Tesla Model S competitor? Then they could think about positioning models in between the TLX and the RLX. A coupe or a hatch for instance.

Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2018 11:03
Fitdad wrote:
briansxr wrote:

ILX - coupe and sedan
RLX - sedan
then 4 SUVs

In the past Acura has talked about how variations within a model itself (as in, the MDX SHAWD vs the Sport Hybrid) are another way for them to add variance to the lineup. I don't see 10 models for Acura anytime soon but I do think we'll see more variants - Acura simply doesn't have the volume for that many models. And - yes I understand it's a catch-22 situation but right now Acura has to get it's core lineup structured properly before thinking about volume expansion. Also if you read the commentary about the new RDX - the A-spec presents itself almost as an entirely different car to buyers so I think Acura can find success with this kind of strategy. We also know that Type-S models are coming and every model will have an A-spec.

I've made this point in other threads but having both the ILX and TLX be compacts anchors their lineup in the $30K range. Right now the only discussion Acura sedan buyers have about "moving up" to a different model are from a $31K ILX to a $34K TLX. The TLX is their main volume driver so they need to position it to where buyers have many options in front of them to spend MORE money. Right now TLX buyers just have the $44K TLX A-spec...OR the $54K RLX FWD and I think it's quite clear that many people aren't interested in making that particular leap.

What I'm afraid will happen is that they'll keep the ILX as a true compact then make the TLX more of a Q50 size. The problem with that is there aren't many buyers who will ever want more car than a midsize sedan (so no one will buy the RLX) and no one will take the ILX seriously as a 3/A4/C-class competitor - which screws up their marketing. The TLX is their main volume driver and is their 3/A4/C-class alternative - having the ILX down there keeps buyers focused on sub-$35K pricing and confuses people as to what car they "should" be thinking about if they are a German sedan buyer. It also quite clearly hasn't worked at all given the lack of sales for the ILX.

A proper TLX would be the entry sedan, would be sized appropriately to the competition, and would have a ton of variants. That way they can focus their marketing, give buyers a bunch of options to "move up", and mostly leave behind the sub-$35K price bracket for sedans. The CDX would be down there.

I would also argue for the RLX to move "up" to a 3.0T only model - or if they want to do some sort of FCEV or BEV thing then whatever - but they sell so few of them they might as well make it crazy - a Tesla Model S competitor? Then they could think about positioning models in between the TLX and the RLX. A coupe or a hatch for instance.

I see no reason why they shouldn't continue to have the ILX to compete against the A3/S3 and CLA (plus future BMW model) as their entry into the brand.

Using a "shortened" next gen TLX platform and offering competitive powertrains I imagine would do wonders for the model (2.0T only, FWD, SH-AWD and Type S models).

I don't think an ILX offered this way would hurt the brand and in fact do the opposite.

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0