[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 German Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indycar Rear-view Mirror: Dixon Deftly Extends Indycar Lead at Toronto
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I'm in a 2019 RDX Advance this week. Any specific questions while I have it?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 GM/Honda Lithium battery and module.
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No H2 in Toyota Vampire Land
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Type R > > Re: DC-R

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2018 10:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
KaySee wrote:
DCR wrote:

- The steering wheel controls suck. Hard, clicky and the volume is a little further than I expected. Moving the HVAC into the infotainment menus is bonkers too...first thing I am doing is swapping the non-dual unit in there to get manual control back. Outside of fumbling around and turning off rev match, I am not too familiar with the screen yet.

- Seats are great. I don't know how the bolsters will hold up but these feel much better than the RS Recaros did to me.

- Shifter knob and shift throws are the best I have ever felt. Direct snaps, no hunting, not much play. I've got a torn tendon in one of my fingers on my right hand, so the splint is getting in the way when I shift forward and I can't wait to get that off to avoid scratching anything and messing up my shifts.

- The armrest is too thin and barely padded. It slides forward far enough but I don't like how it feels all that much.

- Clutch is about perfect. You don't really even notice it. Engagement is a little high but not bad, and everything is mated perfectly with the shifter. They nailed this aspect for sure.

- Drive modes. Maybe I am dumb, but the car won't hold +R when I shut it off and defaults to sport I think. Comfort has looser steering and seems less stiff, white gauges for that. Sport stiffens up a bit and +R really gets things tighter. Some sections of road tonight had my teeth rattling in +R and I think some passengers would not enjoy that very long but I held the mode and waited for it to end.

- At one point I was taking a sweeping corner at 80-85 and the car got this sensation that it was slipping. I couldn't tell what it wanted to do there. I have driven this stretch of road thousands of times and I don't remember the feeling like that. I wonder if the suspension and wheel setup is just making me literally feel everything that is going on and that sense of slipping is just the car doing what it does. I just expected it to be flat and planted but I was getting real close to backing off.

- there is more highway drone than I expected but it isn't terrible. The exhaust is also not as quiet as I was expecting from the way people reviewed it. I think it sounds great.

- This car is incredibly difficult to drive without speeding. It gets into the 80's so fast you better be paying attention. I haven't really even pulled full throttle yet and I haven't learned where the sweet spots are in the powerband and it is already enough without all of that. I have bogged it down with either an early shift of incorrect throttle input...I just don't know the car well enough yet to smooth all that out but it shouldn't take long.

Nice first impressions. Sounds like you'll be enjoying it more and more the more you drive. And you are not dumb, the CTR defaults to sport every time you turn it on. Just like the Si defaults to normal and you have to put it back in to sport. I actually would like if Honda gave us some more customization options with the drive modes. Things like leaving the last mode in place when you start the car, or being able to have a mix match of settings with your own preferences in a custom mode.

Car looks great man.

If they allowed that then they would have to set the EPA mileage numbers based on it (and certainly it would impact them negatively), so it would put a dent in their CAFE numbers. I'm guessing Hondata will have that as an option at some point. This is standard practice across Honda/Acura.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2018 11:37
JeffX wrote:
KaySee wrote:

Nice first impressions. Sounds like you'll be enjoying it more and more the more you drive. And you are not dumb, the CTR defaults to sport every time you turn it on. Just like the Si defaults to normal and you have to put it back in to sport. I actually would like if Honda gave us some more customization options with the drive modes. Things like leaving the last mode in place when you start the car, or being able to have a mix match of settings with your own preferences in a custom mode.

Car looks great man.

If they allowed that then they would have to set the EPA mileage numbers based on it (and certainly it would impact them negatively), so it would put a dent in their CAFE numbers. I'm guessing Hondata will have that as an option at some point. This is standard practice across Honda/Acura.

Are you talking about the car being able to start in a different mode or the ability to have a customized mode set up for yourself?

I know certain companies like VW with the Golf R for example will let you start the car in Race mode with the manual cars. I can double check, but I've been in a MK7 that started up in Sport Mode instead of normal mode because the driver set it for that. It'll start in race for the automatic cars as well but I think something with how the shifter gates work in the auto requires an extra step of putting it in to the sport position as well. So do companies like VW and Hyundai with their N cars potentially have to provide different EPA numbers because of this feature? I've never seen any indication of that so that is pretty interesting to hear. Depending on how the EPA does their testing that could make sense though.

Pressing the sport button is no big deal for me anyway when I start the car. My preference would be to have a mode that I could customize, especially in cars with several parameters like the CTR or new RDX. Let's say in the CTR the suspension could be set to comfort with the throttle set to race and steering to sport. I don't see either thing as a deal breaker at all but it would be cool to have I believe.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2018 11:45
Yeah and you're right, Hondata has the Sport mode start up feature for the Si right now. So I'm sure the CTR could get a R+ start up feature soon if it's not there already.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2018 18:27
Pretty interesting experience so far.

I've had people point and laugh at the car, people approach me at gas stations to just say hi and look the car over, a few shouts, another guy chased me down and was filming me.

I guess I can't take the Type-R out for any robbing or killing.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2018 18:43
When I was 16 and driving my '65 Mustang, I routinely had old guys walk up to me in parking lots saying "yeah, i had a Mustang just like that until I crashed it into a guardrail." You can't win. I actually like the Q-Ship Factor of my Accord sedan these days.

I did have a young Turk yell at me at a stoplight once when I was driving the Fit. I replied with "yeah, I like your rusty '95 Integra with the wrong '96 wheels on it too there, buddy."

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-15-2018 18:58
KaySee wrote:
... My preference would be to have a mode that I could customize, especially in cars with several parameters like the CTR or new RDX. Let's say in the CTR the suspension could be set to comfort with the throttle set to race and steering to sport. I don't see either thing as a deal breaker at all but it would be cool to have I believe.

Ideally, the driving modes should be sync'd with the key fob, just as the seat and radio selections are. And, once upon a time, even the power mirrors too.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-16-2018 14:55
Congrats! The CTR is a sick ride!
HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-16-2018 14:56
Congrats! The CTR is a badass ride!
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-16-2018 18:29
Anyone else looking for a Type-R around here?
garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-16-2018 23:06
So is that what DCR has stood for all these years? I had no freaking clue.

Congratulations man, FINALLY!

Welcome to the R-Gang!

A turn at 80mph should be a piece of cake in the CTR, were you not in +R mode when you tried it? Comfort can be sloppy, understandably, but it is very comfortable. And sport is, a good way for the car to start as default, I don't mind it.

You bought yourself a beautiful color, I love the red+grey combo. PMM is one of the best colors for this car.

Break it in nicely, I think you'll find that the more and more and more you drive it, the more you'll like it.

Don't get a citation.

Enjoy the car!

wooderson79
Profile for wooderson79
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-17-2018 15:20
DCR wrote:

How much do you want for it?

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-17-2018 16:30
It is red.
RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 00:37
KaySee wrote:
JeffX wrote:
KaySee wrote:

Car looks great man.

Are you talking about the car being able to start in a different mode or the ability to have a customized mode set up for yourself?

I know certain companies like VW with the Golf R for example will let you start the car in Race mode with the manual cars. I can double check, but I've been in a MK7 that started up in Sport Mode instead of normal mode because the driver set it for that. It'll start in race for the automatic cars as well but I think something with how the shifter gates work in the auto requires an extra step of putting it in to the sport position as well. So do companies like VW and Hyundai with their N cars potentially have to provide different EPA numbers because of this feature? I've never seen any indication of that so that is pretty interesting to hear. Depending on how the EPA does their testing that could make sense though.

Pressing the sport button is no big deal for me anyway when I start the car. My preference would be to have a mode that I could customize, especially in cars with several parameters like the CTR or new RDX. Let's say in the CTR the suspension could be set to comfort with the throttle set to race and steering to sport. I don't see either thing as a deal breaker at all but it would be cool to have I believe.

Correct. My Golf R will start in Race mode if that is what it was in when I last turned the car off.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 09:01
DCR wrote:

I was, but with all the dealer shenanigans, I moved on. I may come back to one or look at a used one a few years from now, but happy with my decision as I wasn't going to track the Type R anyway. Plus, on Friday I get to go flog some AMG's down at COTA. :) My local Acura dealer has a used 2017 with 4k miles, but still wants almost $38k for it... HA. I may go drive it at some point, if still around. I'm sure it's a blast.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 10:16
RMTRADER wrote:

Correct. My Golf R will start in Race mode if that is what it was in when I last turned the car off.

Thanks for the confirmation. If I'm understanding what Jeff mentioned correctly, your mileage rating would be based on race mode settings. Or the most aggressive setting your car can start up in I guess? Do you find a huge difference in mileage based on the mode? Or is it more how you are driving at the time(Race mode meaning you are more inclined to drive hard, for example)? Maybe a bit of both.

DCR, I don't see this question asked much but how are you finding the economy of the CTR? You might not even be paying attention to that anyway, that wouldn't be high on my list with that car. And your car might be barely broken in if at all at this point so it'll probably change more with time. You have any first impressions of the efficiency you are noticing?

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 10:58
KaySee wrote:
RMTRADER wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation. If I'm understanding what Jeff mentioned correctly, your mileage rating would be based on race mode settings. Or the most aggressive setting your car can start up in I guess? Do you find a huge difference in mileage based on the mode? Or is it more how you are driving at the time(Race mode meaning you are more inclined to drive hard, for example)? Maybe a bit of both.

DCR, I don't see this question asked much but how are you finding the economy of the CTR? You might not even be paying attention to that anyway, that wouldn't be high on my list with that car. And your car might be barely broken in if at all at this point so it'll probably change more with time. You have any first impressions of the efficiency you are noticing?

Yes, there is a difference in fuel mileage depending on the engine setting. Because you can mix and match parameters around suspension, steering, and engine mapping (and sound and the speed at which the headlamps move with steering), you usually can find a sweet spot. There are two settings for engine mapping with the DSG - regular and sport. Race defaults to sport and is very aggressive. Late upshifts and early downshifts (rev matched). For most conditions, I find it too aggressive while the regular mode is a bit too lazy. So I usually drive in manual mode in Race with the paddle shifters (I suspect I should just by a manual). You can be in Race and set the engine mapping to regular, however. Then you are just dealing with heavier steering and a firmer ride. But if you were to just drive around in Race with the engine in Sport, you definitely burn more fuel.

I also didn't congratulate DCR. Congrats. I am just waiting for some of the dealer rip offs to die down in my local area (they already are) and then it will be time to move the dark side.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 11:47
KaySee wrote:

I think I am getting mid-low 20's at the moment, but that is because I am driving it in "learning mode". I imagine if I keep my foot out of it, put it in Comfort and use cruise on my commute, it will return numbers that will be pretty good if not really good for the car it is.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 12:56
KaySee wrote:
RMTRADER wrote:

For the record, this is what I've been told by Honda folks, more than once. So it seems VW either certifies the car in Race mode or they're somehow getting past the regulation. Or maybe Honda is just being their typical, ultra-conservative self.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 14:51
JeffX wrote:
KaySee wrote:
RMTRADER wrote:

For the record, this is what I've been told by Honda folks, more than once. So it seems VW either certifies the car in Race mode or they're somehow getting past the regulation. Or maybe Honda is just being their typical, ultra-conservative self.

Wait. Are you insinuating that VW may cheat at certification?

; )

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 15:11
JeffX wrote:

That is interesting information either way. I don't see why they'd lie to you(and I'm gonna pass on the easy joke about VW skirting regulations).

There may be something to that whole testing procedure as Honda mentions. But at the same time, I also think you are correct about Honda being pretty conservative overall. I'm usually more inclined to the more simplistic approach to things. But start up modes aside, I think it would be cool to have some custom options available eventually. It makes sense if the driver doesn't find that sweet spot with the manufacturer preloaded settings IMO. Profiles tied to keyfobs like TonyEX mentioned would be bonus as well(Maybe Acura).

DCR, that fuel economy seems pretty good to me for such a high performance vehicle. I'm sure high 20s and low 30s are possible with a light foot, if I was to guess. Amazing car.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 15:16
DCR wrote:
KaySee wrote:

I think I am getting mid-low 20's at the moment, but that is because I am driving it in "learning mode". I imagine if I keep my foot out of it, put it in Comfort and use cruise on my commute, it will return numbers that will be pretty good if not really good for the car it is.

Not DCR but it's pretty easy to get low-mid 20s in typical city/town driving, without trying. I just went out and did a loop consisting of 25, 40, and 45mph roads and it returned over 31mpg. I drove with or slightly ahead of traffic, but barely ever went 5mph above the speed limit. I started the loop out on a bad foot by catching heavy traffic and having to sit and wait for while before making my turn into the traffic, and then I caught 3 of the next 4 lights. Then it sort of opened up and I was able to clear a few lights so I was actually showing over 33mpg right until the end of the loop when I caught 2 longer lights and that dropped my average. Not bad for a 300+ hp car. I bet with light traffic and good timing on the lights i could easily get 35+ on the same loop. I ran the loop in comfort to keep the boost levels down as low as possible. I noticed that I can generally pace traffic (and even outpace it in some cases) without ever hitting boost. Only if I had to turn in front of a long line of fast moving cars would I need to use boost.

When I first got the car I did a loop of over 100 miles (mostly highway, but also including a lot of twisty mountain roads) and it returned almost 37mpg. I was going pretty easy on it but not anything close to hypermiling.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 15:24
I got 27 mpg on my commute today and had my foot in it some with a mix of Comfort and +R. I am going to try and do a full run home tonight in Comfort and cruise at or below 3k rpm and see what I get. Having said that, I will probably be in +R the entire time, but we'll see.

I also ordered the front 3D Maxpider mats (no one sits in the back so I didn't bother yet if ever), and put a Photodon MXO screen protector on the dash. It went on great, except for the upper left corner but hopefully that will smooth out.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 16:10
DCR wrote:
I got 27 mpg on my commute today and had my foot in it some with a mix of Comfort and +R. I am going to try and do a full run home tonight in Comfort and cruise at or below 3k rpm and see what I get. Having said that, I will probably be in +R the entire time, but we'll see.

I also ordered the front 3D Maxpider mats (no one sits in the back so I didn't bother yet if ever), and put a Photodon MXO screen protector on the dash. It went on great, except for the upper left corner but hopefully that will smooth out.

That's decent mileage. My Si averages 28 mpg.

Last edited by JeffX on 06-20-2018 16:24
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 18:11
Mind you this is just the trip computer, but on the 20 miles or so home from work, I was in Comfort and outside of a couple of revs, I tried to stay at about 74-75 which is 2900 RPM.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 18:33
I have to dust that screen off I guess.

New front mats are in too:

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 02:05
The screen is a dust magnet...I keep a swiffer in my car....
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 08:44
Congrats DCR! I better not drive one of these cause I think I'd end up with one. The color is really sharp.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 11:59
Hondarulez wrote:

The kit I used for the screen protector has an anti-static wipe in there, maybe I will try it.

Dren wrote:
Congrats DCR! I better not drive one of these cause I think I'd end up with one. The color is really sharp.

There might be a red one available you know...come to GR and you can drive mine. I doubt you would really have to drive one first, I sure didn't and it is better than I expected.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 12:19
DCR wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

The kit I used for the screen protector has an anti-static wipe in there, maybe I will try it.

Dren wrote:

There might be a red one available you know...come to GR and you can drive mine. I doubt you would really have to drive one first, I sure didn't and it is better than I expected.

I have tried not to overstate how great the car is, but if you read the majority of reviews, they've all been rather overwhelmingly positive.

It drives fantastically and is tremendously fun to operate. The question becomes more about "is this something that fits my lifestyle"

The Type R actually offers quite a bit of utility and is more than comfortable enough (for me) to serve as a daily driver. And driven as a commuter car, the fuel economy is actually pretty solid. My primary concerns relate to how "special" it is. if something happens to it, it's not really easy to find a replacement. So then I think about where I'm going to drive it. Where will I park it? Will it be safe from theft or vandalism? Those kinds of things.

Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 12:53
Jeff, any idea of Honda has plans to increase production to meet demand?

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0