[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
More.......................
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Sachsenring TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> New H70 pumps freezing
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Car recommendation for cheap track fun?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Acclaimed 2018 Accords sit on the lot
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Celaya Plant Flooding and Recovery
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> '18 HAH vs '17 HAH
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: ROAD TRIP... SOB Oregon cops
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Ridgeline - General Talk > > Re: Ordered Son of Black Mamba

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Ordered Son of Black Mamba    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 16:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Couldn't get a Pilot Touring. Didn't want the Clarity PHEV (too short a range on gas only and we already got a "commuter" car).

Ordered a '19 Black Edition... only difference is that we didn't go with the Sport Grill and we got the Tall Lip all weather mats (new for '19).

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
nope... Keeping it for another year!    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-16-2018 21:55
So, someone over at AHM had a flash of inspiration and decided that that the one year leases are simply nuts. (*)

So, they've gone back to two year leases (phew... thanks).

So wife has the option of extending the lease for another year or swapping it for yet another Black Mamba.

We decided that keeping it for another year makes a lot more sense... I mean, we got like 6000 miles on one year ( out of 20,000 miles allowed ) so it really makes NO sense to swap it.

Specially as being the same color we can't even impress the neighbors that we have a NEW car.

(*) Honestly, it's a royal PITA to swap cars that often. For a while we only kept the cars for 11 months. Gotta deal with the insurance, XM subscription, toll roads, NAVI history, phone history, etc... The end result is that the leases are more expensive ( the initial miles are always the most expensive ) and we'd end up with similar cars in a row: two iMMD Accord Tourings, three TSX Wagon techs with roof rails, three RDX techs with roof rails... at least we used to change the color. No way to do that when the Ridgeline "Black Edition" is always.... black.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: nope... Keeping it for another year!    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-16-2018 22:50
Talk about impressing the neighbors.
Planned obsolescence used to be a big deal with the Detroit Iron.
I remember back when Chevrolet would actually change the sheet metal every year on the Impala. Drive train wise there were incremental changes, but darned if they didn't come up with a different look to make the '62 look dated when the '63's came out.
These days I think they probably run about the same product cycle as the Japanese brands, and now Ford is going to leave the sedan market altogether but stick with the profitable trucks and Mustangs.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: nope... Keeping it for another year!    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-16-2018 23:02
TonyEX wrote:

We decided that keeping it for another year makes a lot more sense...

Really!!!??? THAT makes more sense?

You guys' car ownership experience is extremely stressful. From mileage limit to all the trade headaches.

Do you ever want a car that you really want and want to own for a long time?

My 06 Si, with 308,000 miles cost me $19,900. And for the last 7 years it has been paying ME back.

Part of me wishes the CTR didn't exist, that way I didn't HAVE to buy a car. I only bought it because its limited edition, I've been wanting it for decades, and it exists in my color of choice.

If I was a pickup truck guy, I would definitely own a Black Mamba for years to come.

Some news: You don't need to trade cars for high-wall floor mats, I'm sure the '19s high-wall floor mats fit in your really old and rusty 2018 Black Mamba.

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Ordered Son of Black Mamba    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-17-2018 05:08
Ah, yes, the Pilot and the Ridgeline: the only two Honda products left that one can walk up to without your hands over your eyes or feeling a compulsion to deny ownership to anyone who might ask if they're yours.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: nope... Keeping it for another year!    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-17-2018 14:07
garoto wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

We decided that keeping it for another year makes a lot more sense...

Really!!!??? THAT makes more sense?

You guys' car ownership experience is extremely stressful. From mileage limit to all the trade headaches.

Do you ever want a car that you really want and want to own for a long time?

My 06 Si, with 308,000 miles cost me $19,900. And for the last 7 years it has been paying ME back.

Part of me wishes the CTR didn't exist, that way I didn't HAVE to buy a car. I only bought it because its limited edition, I've been wanting it for decades, and it exists in my color of choice.

If I was a pickup truck guy, I would definitely own a Black Mamba for years to come.

Some news: You don't need to trade cars for high-wall floor mats, I'm sure the '19s high-wall floor mats fit in your really old and rusty 2018 Black Mamba.

Aw shoot... I FORGOT about the floor mats. We had ordered the High Wall OEM mats... what will I do now? :-)

Honestly, a two year lease is cheaper than a one year lease, and then the IRS steps in an charges us with $5000 per car in inputted income. That makes the difference between getting a $1000 refund or having to pay $6000 in additional taxes (including California Income Tax).

These days, putting 60,000 miles in a car is nothing. And if you treat your cars reasonably well, they are as new at 40,000 miles as the day they were new.

I don't want to have a 300,000 mile car myself. The Fit has 110,000 miles and the Civic Hybrid has 170,000 miles. The Fit is in daily use by my son (stick shift), the Civic is our back up car.

But I like to have a car that is new enough and that is 100% reliable with no out of pocket repair expenses.

A two year lease fits the plan (so does the three year lease in the Clarity) and because they a benefit of my wife's job (not the Clarity, that's a "consumer" lease) we take advantage of the deal, with a much lower tax hit at the end of the year.

There are not many cars that I'd like to keep for a long time, an S2K, a Datsun 510, a Datsun 2000 roadster perhaps... other than that my priorities are elsewhere. I just spent $2K to upgrade my ~'90 Conrad Johnson preamp with the custom teflon capacitors.... that preamp is a keeper for sure.

Oh, IMHO, the Black Mamba has a few defects that would keep me for owning it a long time, I think the Pilot would be the one to keep. Stuff like the back doors not opening wide enough, the tailgate not locking, the upper rear hooks in the bed conflicting between the cargo net and the OEM tonneau cover. Little details that I hope AHM fixes in the next version.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ordered Son of Black Mamba    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-17-2018 14:11
Mechanic wrote:
Ah, yes, the Pilot and the Ridgeline: the only two Honda products left that one can walk up to without your hands over your eyes or feeling a compulsion to deny ownership to anyone who might ask if they're yours.

I've had TWO people walk up to me and tell me the Ridgeline is "a nice looking truck".

That truck and me spend most of our time commuting 3 miles to work... so we don't spend much time parking away from work or home.

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Ordered Son of Black Mamba    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-17-2018 18:27
TonyEX wrote:
Mechanic wrote:

I've had TWO people walk up to me and tell me the Ridgeline is "a nice looking truck".

That truck and me spend most of our time commuting 3 miles to work... so we don't spend much time parking away from work or home.

I don't doubt that people compliment your truck. Nothing wrong with the Ridgeline. Reinforced chassis, decent motor. And I wasn't kidding: it's a damn good looking design. Now if only Honda could produce a few more.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ordered Son of Black Mamba    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 10:33
TonyEX wrote:
Mechanic wrote:

I still have people stare in amazement at the double action tailgate and in bed trunk. A lot of people don't know either exists.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ordered Son of Black Mamba    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-18-2018 15:58
Dren wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Mechanic wrote:

I still have people stare in amazement at the double action tailgate and in bed trunk. A lot of people don't know either exists.

Yeah... whenever I take stuff to drop off at the hazardous disposal facility, I have to walk outside (they normally want you in your car) and swing the gate open.

Actually, that's FOUR people who have been impressed with this truck. Both of the guys at the disposal place were very impressed with the swinging tailgate and trunk.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ordered Son of Black Mamba    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-19-2018 07:39
I'm teetering on getting a tonneau cover again. Didn't you say the OEM one was shit?
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ordered Son of Black Mamba    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-19-2018 11:48
Dren wrote:
I'm teetering on getting a tonneau cover again. Didn't you say the OEM one was shit?

No, it.s definitely NOT shit.

The tonneau proper is quite good. It's how it latches down that I don't care for. And if you can't lock the tailgate, then it's a two minute job for two people to steal it.

Look at the Leer cap that I linked to in the companion Ridgeline forum, that might make some sense. I saw a truck with one of those yesterday and it looked very nice, but with accessories it's gonna cost you $2K.

OTOH, the OEM hard tonneau cover does look very nice. I guess it's a trade off. I'm not worried about anyone stealing ours because we live and work in safe areas. If I lived in East LA or South Central I would have to figure out someway to lock it down.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0