[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 German Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD "commuter" loop mileage run
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indycar Rear-view Mirror: Dixon Deftly Extends Indycar Lead at Toronto
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I'm in a 2019 RDX Advance this week. Any specific questions while I have it?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 GM/Honda Lithium battery and module.
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No H2 in Toyota Vampire Land
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX > > Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

HondaDad
Profile for HondaDad
DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2018 23:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Drove by our local Acura dealer tonight to look at the RDX. The DPG with the HUGE Acura calipers is a big disappointment in person. It looks really cheap. My wife agreed and so the RDX gets taken off our list without even a drive. Acura hasn't had a good looking grill since the 3G TL. How hard is it to design a grille?

Porsche seems to get it right with a non-grille on the Macan and Cayenne. Porsche isn't obsessed with obnoxiously sized badges either. It's understated elegance. Not particularly pretty. But not obnoxious either.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2018 01:24
I think this is highly subjective.

Most of the reviews so far have been praising the new design, including the new DPG.

HondaDad
Profile for HondaDad
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2018 22:06
Both the redesigned TLX and MDX have seen their sales fall since getting the DPG. The RLX with DPG has increased in sales but only sold 162 units last month. I agree that design is subjective. Thus I've also looked at sales data to see if there is any correlation.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-02-2018 00:52
They’re both in the last years of their model cycles. It’s no uncommon for a vehicles volume to drop. TLX sales actually rose after the refresh and the A-Spsx came aboard and the MDX is still selling ok. This new RDX will sell very well. I’m thinking this is the best Acura since the 3G TL.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-02-2018 01:09
Sedans aren't doing well in general.

The MDX is in its 6th model year already...it's a dated design overall, with just a new grille essentially.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-04-2018 11:50
Hondarulez wrote:
Most of the reviews so far have been praising the new design, including the new DPG.

Please direct me to where. Thanks!

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-04-2018 15:29
Didn't have much time but here are some:

See the diamond pentagon grille, “jewel eye signature daytime running lights” and “sculptured chrome moldings and door garnishes?” Are you writing poetry yet?

The proportions are changed, too. The new RDX is just over an inch longer overall but more than two and a half inches longer in wheelbase. The body creases are subtle and, dare we say, attractive. See? Emotion!

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/first-drive-2019-acura-rdx-wants-you-want-it

With this youthful consumer base in mind, Acura was mindful to keep the new RDX's design sporty and athletic, and frankly they've succeeded. The outgoing RDX looks a bit dowdy when compared to the new car with its front-bumper air curtains and crisp, sculpted lines. The A-Spec package ratchets this up a few notches with bigger wheels, a blacked-out grille and darkened accents (which also serve to give the A-Spec a floating d-pillar effect).

https://www.leftlanenews.com/first-drive-2019-acura-rdx-review-100598.html

Styling is subjective, of course, but we think the 2019 RDX is a sharp looking machine. Our favorite RDX is the A-Spec. The A-Spec looks amazing in the exclusive Apex Blue Pearl, but if we were to buy one it would likely be in white, because it also looks great and will be easier to keep looking clean. The A-spec's contrasting trim and darkened 20" wheels look especially appealing.

https://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1358088

I think overall, the front end of the RDX is really growing on me. I like the look, especially in this new premium blue paint. (from 1:40 on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W8SF_-jcCA

This is a very attractive looking design in my opinion for Acura.(1:20). It's a very, very attractive design any way you look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4WdQSqU6r0

fatbloke
Profile for fatbloke
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-06-2018 08:11
HondaDad wrote:
Drove by our local Acura dealer tonight to look at the RDX. The DPG with the HUGE Acura calipers is a big disappointment in person. It looks really cheap. My wife agreed and so the RDX gets taken off our list without even a drive. Acura hasn't had a good looking grill since the 3G TL. How hard is it to design a grille?

Porsche seems to get it right with a non-grille on the Macan and Cayenne. Porsche isn't obsessed with obnoxiously sized badges either. It's understated elegance. Not particularly pretty. But not obnoxious either.

Perhaps you like your vehicles to look a bit more boring. Sounds like its a bit modern for you!

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-06-2018 08:31
HondaDad wrote:
Both the redesigned TLX and MDX have seen their sales fall since getting the DPG. The RLX with DPG has increased in sales but only sold 162 units last month. I agree that design is subjective. Thus I've also looked at sales data to see if there is any correlation.

I will make a prediction that the new RDX monthly sales will increase which will refute the data trends from the MDX and TLX. I agree with others that most models late in their lifecylces see drops, and I don't think it has any correlation to the DPG.

Ep3Bob
Profile for Ep3Bob
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-06-2018 18:22
To each their own, but I love the look of the Diamond Pentagon Grill. The MDX in particular looks great in person and I can't wait to see the RDX in person as well. The TLX also looks really good with the DPG. When I see a non-DPG TLX, I'm always disappointed. Again, this is all subject to opinion, but I think Acura knocked it out of the park with its new design language.
bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-06-2018 20:02
NealX wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

All you have to do is look at most of the reviews in the 3rd Gen RDX thread...outside of a few who feel the true touchpad might be difficult for some, most reviews were glowing and many commented how the RDX bests many of its German competitors. Its nice to see Acura getting back its groove and hopefully it will continue.

APTL
Profile for APTL
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-07-2018 03:51
bnilhome wrote:
NealX wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

All you have to do is look at most of the reviews in the 3rd Gen RDX thread...outside of a few who feel the true touchpad might be difficult for some, most reviews were glowing and many commented how the RDX bests many of its German competitors. Its nice to see Acura getting back its groove and hopefully it will continue.

I wouldn't classify the reviews I read as "glowing". They said it rode and handled really nice, like a Honda does (used to?), and they pretty much all said it bested its competitors - on price. Actually most of what I read said that the competitors were in fact better but that was because they cost so much more. They said the RDX was a better value, not necessarily a better vehicle.

I would say the reviews for the current Accord were glowing. The RDX will be most likely be received better by the buying public, relatively speaking, than the Accord has been, because it's another bloody crossover.

rxtreme
Profile for rxtreme
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-07-2018 10:05
The general opinion is that the newly designed grill trumps the outgoing ‘beak’ grill design. Same goes with the dragon tail tail lights. It definitely has more character without going Civic Type R crazy. Interior design its not even comparable to the outgoing RDX. Whether or not you believe this is better than a BMW X3 or Audi Q5 is completely subjective.

In a Car and Driver comparison overall, I think it would place 1st or 2nd against the BMW...then people would bitch because they weighed ‘value’ too heavily in the comparison.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-07-2018 12:30
fatbloke wrote:
HondaDad wrote:

Perhaps you like your vehicles to look a bit more boring. Sounds like its a bit modern for you!

Are you saying you believe the DPG or larger badges and grilles equate to modernity?

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-08-2018 02:02
APTL wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
NealX wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

I wouldn't classify the reviews I read as "glowing". They said it rode and handled really nice, like a Honda does (used to?), and they pretty much all said it bested its competitors - on price. Actually most of what I read said that the competitors were in fact better but that was because they cost so much more. They said the RDX was a better value, not necessarily a better vehicle.

I would say the reviews for the current Accord were glowing. The RDX will be most likely be received better by the buying public, relatively speaking, than the Accord has been, because it's another bloody crossover.

My takeaway from all of these first drive reviews is that the 2019 RDX is highly competitive in pretty much all areas: performance, ride, handling, NVH, features, fun to drive factor. The price and value are just the icing on the cake. Many reviews also talk about how the new RDX has more "emotions" which is quiet different than the 2G RDX.

I don't really get the feeling that the new RDX is only better because of its price.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-08-2018 02:03
Jeff's conclusion is quite telling,

Here was a car that fired a shot clear across the prow of the finest German makes, upped the ante on power, performance, technology, and features while simultaneously undercutting them in price by a sizable margin. That TL turned out to be a HUGE success for Acura, and we sort of think that this RDX could provide a similar sort of repeat performance for Acura. It clearly belongs in the conversation with the best of the European examples, it delivers equivalent or more performance, equivalent or more features and technology, top class safety and a price that undercuts all of them.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-10-2018 20:02
The DPG is way better looking than any iteration of the stupid ugly beak Acura had previously. I still do not know how any designers or Executives at Acura allowed the beak to go into production.
wanga
Profile for wanga
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-17-2018 12:01
HondaDad wrote:

Obviously you don't like the new RDX. I love my A spec, the 20'' rims grill look great. I must add that it's really, really fast. My brother drove my car ,he has a 3 years old x5,he is in the process of trading it for the RDX Advance

fatbloke
Profile for fatbloke
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-27-2018 06:57
NealX wrote:
fatbloke wrote:
HondaDad wrote:

Are you saying you believe the DPG or larger badges and grilles equate to modernity?

That's the latest trend and design so yes obviously. Perhaps you don't know what modern actually means. Do you still wear flared trousers and tank tops?

wanga
Profile for wanga
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2018 21:22
HondaDad wrote:

Not me ,I love my RDX, I called it from day one "Macura".
It's fast and the exhaust sings on sport plus mode, fun to drive unlike Escalades/Yukon.

Pseudomaniac
Profile for Pseudomaniac
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 20:09
I don't mind the DPG. We bought the 2014 RDX SH-AWD loaded, and kicked ourselves for not buying a CPO MDX instead. Same MPG, more features, better ride, more capacity. Ultimately, that's exactly what we did, dumping it for the MDX and never looking back.

While I think there is a niche for upscale micro-SUV for certain, I've just had a literally new off the truck 2018 GLC300 for a week while my E550 Cabrio got some plastic bits replaced and a recall done. The new benz 4 banger turbo with the 9 speed gearbox is good enough to rip out sub 15 second quarter miles and still do 22/28. Loaded at 48K.

Is the Acura subjectively better than the Benz for even money (maintenance cost not factored in of course) ? - I'm not sure. It was never a problem when you could put the 40K Honda against the 50K Benz and go - "look, we're built better, and we're not terribly far off pace with your offering".

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DPG doesn't do it for me. Looks like a poor man's Escalade [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 00:11
To be fair, the $40k RDX is more comparable to a $50k GLC300. Likewise, configuring a GLC300 4matic to match the RDX AWD advance will cost you almost $60k (you can still go further to $65k to get even more features). From what I can see, the same price differential still exists between models equipped similarly.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0