[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Genesis G70 - Everyday Reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Want to stop faster than a Tesla Model 3? Get an F-150
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Clarity > > Re: Clarity PHEV Owner

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Clarity PHEV First Drive    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2018 11:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda had a Clarity PHEV test drive event at my local mall, Irvine Spectrum, so that is my first time getting to actually drive or sit in one. The test drive was just side streets, no freeway. It reminded me of my friends fathers Cadillac from the mid 1980s, but in a great way. Performance isn't slow or fast, but more than adequate. The ride isn't sporty, but not sloppy either, just pleasant. The interior seemed super nice in texture, thought, fit... Hard to imagine anyone sitting in the Touring and not being impressed. I like accelerating out of corners, as it is one of the few fun times in driving, and there was no squealing around like I expected or body roll.

It surpassed my expectations by a large margin. I thought the cell phone pockets for the rear passengers was a gimmick. but its really comfortable to take your phone out of your pocket and then its right there when you want it. I won't actually be in my own backseat, but its something smart Honda has done. Smart cupholders up front, and the rear ones have a cover.

I am pretty geeked up to get one now. I wish it had electric folding mirrors and blind spot alerts, but overall it fits my needs very well, even if it is much longer than I want.

My commute is less than two miles to the freeway - EV mode - 35 miles freeway at 80mph most of the way (5am) so hybrid mode - 4 miles city streets -EV mode. There is a charge station with a 4 minute walk to my office, so I could fully charge for the much more arduous ride home of horrible traffic on all roads - EV maybe 80% of the drive. And then at least a 10 minute savings by having access to the HOV lanes in a particular stretch of road (the 20% hybrid). CMBS keeping me from slamming into the car in front of me takes some stress away as well.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV First Week    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-24-2018 09:59
I am leasing a Clarity Touring - in Crimson to match my eyes. I have only had it for part of a week commuting 40 miles each way to work. So far 230 miles and have not used any gasoline. The 47 mile EV range must be an average, because I have gotten into work with 38% of the battery left. This is 5am-6am commute of pretty much cruising 70-80 mph for about 35 miles of the 40.

So week 1 was to learn the car and see its limits on EV, but I learned the EV public charger closest to work is also one of the most expensive. This result is $4.16 to recharge the battery when I arrive after driving 40 miles. Actually more expensive than gasoline. The issue is it takes 2+ hours to recharge and not only is the electric 30 cents per kWh (its 13 cents at home), the city charges 55 cents an hour to park and use the charger. Basically I need 10 kWh which is a $1.30 at home, and $4.16 at work.

So will see if I don't charge it at work how the commute home goes, but I am waiting for the HOV stickers which will change everything on the way home. I would like to run the engine. At this point I don't know if it works. :)

The next issue is charging from 9pm, when the rate goes down, to 5 am will not fully charge the battery. I get to work on the charge, but then pay more at the public charger for a more drained battery ($5.00 on that experiment). :( This is a USA problem because our homes have 120volt, and only have 240v for dryers and stoves. I do have an open dryer plug, but the previous owner put in a swimming pool and used that breaker for the pool pump, so it is a dead plug. My neighbors had an electrician put in a 240v plug in their garage for just $300 bucks, which will solve my being able to fully charge over night. Maybe he can use the existing line to the dryer plug? Beats me, but it is an a good spot to get access to either car parked in the garage.

The plan is to not charge at work and arrive home with a depleted battery (17 kWh) that can be charge with the new 240v plug and and a $239 240v charger cable from Amazon.

All of the these unknowns are why I wanted to lease and not buy, BUT I will say at least in California the Clarity is the bargain of a lifetime. $36,600 for touring edition, car is selling below MSRP, $7500 Federal tax credit due to the large 17 kWh battery and $1500 from the State of California if you keep it for 3 years. Its sort of loaded Civic priced.

The last part is our electric company Southern California Edison (SCE) has 6 different plans to choose. There is an EV plan, but it requires the customer paying for a separate meter to be installed just for the EV charging. Their www estimates a $1500 installation. No thanks. So come May I will be paying very little to charge over night, but a lot to run my A/C during the day (which I don't use that often). I really don't know how this will all work out.

You will download Hondalink to monitor your car charging and you can limit the car to start charging at specific times to take advantage of cheaper electricity. You no longer need those expensive charging stations, the car takes care of the computing you just need a plug. Also, there are two major EV charging companies, EVGO which I have not used, and Chargepoint. Both have their own apps which tell you where public chargers are and you pay by waving your phone in front of the charger and using Apple Pay. The last one is PlugShare which shows you ALL chargers, prices, reviews... What I am learning is you really want to charge at home and running a bit of gasoline is cheaper than public charging by my work.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Clarity PHEV First Week    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-24-2018 10:42
Hey congrats on getting the Clarity!! I saw one on the road just yesterday actually - itís easier on the eyes while in motion.

The range sounds really good and it seems like getting a 240 volt outlet would be well worth the money. Amazing that you havenít used the engine at all yet.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV Second Week    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2018 10:21
This week I have used the engine more on the freeway getting into work, so I can avoid the expensive EV charger near work. I arrived at 79% battery remaining this morning, which is more than enough to get home entirely EV in the much thicker afternoon traffic.

There is an HV button which makes the car drive like a more conventional hybrid, instead of more like an EV, deciding when to use gas or battery or to put electricity back to the battery. There is a nice graphic to watch the computers decide what to do.

I cannot feel any switching between gas and battery and I can't even hear anything any different. A youtuber says Honda has put a clear sound deadening layer in the side glass. If you look down at a partially opened window it looks like he is right. Rubbing my finger on the rim it feels like something sandwiched between two layers of glass. I find it a very quiet car. As far as the CVT goes, it seems to work really well in this car to deliver a nice easy feeling. I would probably have hated this sedate nature in my 20s, but now I am listening to easy Jazz (Wave HD2 for those in S.Cal) and enjoying the experience. Itís not a slow car; itís just enough. The other part I find really well done is the dynamic steering, which is very boosted in parking lots, yet firm and responsive on the freeway. Best of both worlds.

Early in ownership, errr leasership, but this car is amazingly put together. Not a shake, squeak, rattle, the modern drive train is an absolute delight, very nice interior, and itís engaging in new ways. In particular it has paddles, where transmission paddles normally go, but instead they increase or decrease the amount of regeneration which slows down the car without actually using the brake pads (reduces wear and tear). Pull the left a few times to slow down quicker and generate more electricity, and then pull the right to let the car coast more. Interesting to see how often you can get away with not using the brakes. I donít know if the people behind me are getting ďbrakeĒ lights or not as I slow down (itís a somewhat gradual slowdown).

Still waiting for the HOV stickers, which is where my big payoff will start. I will be at 500 miles when I get home and still have well over half the 7 gallons of gas that came with the car.

jlin583
Profile for jlin583
Re: Clarity PHEV Second Week    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2018 13:06
Thanks for the updates. I spend quite a bit of time in SoCal and am looking into leasing a Clarity as well so your posts are much appreciated.

I know it's only been 2 weeks into ownership but I did want to ask:

1. Do you find the engine to drone when merging onto the freeway?
2. How easy is it to clean the suede fabric on the dash? (Dog likes to sneeze everywhere in the car)
3. Does the brake pedal feel normal?

We'll most likely be switching to So Cal Edison's TOU plan so that'll be interesting to see what our electric bills come to.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Clarity PHEV Second Week    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2018 13:22
jlin583 wrote:
Thanks for the updates. I spend quite a bit of time in SoCal and am looking into leasing a Clarity as well so your posts are much appreciated.

I know it's only been 2 weeks into ownership but I did want to ask:

1. Do you find the engine to drone when merging onto the freeway?
2. How easy is it to clean the suede fabric on the dash? (Dog likes to sneeze everywhere in the car)
3. Does the brake pedal feel normal?

We'll most likely be switching to So Cal Edison's TOU plan so that'll be interesting to see what our electric bills come to.

I don't own one but I've spent a fair bit of time driving several Clarity PHEVs (as well as the Fuel Cell, and to a lesser extent the BEV variant).

1. if you have sufficient battery charge you can merge in full EV mode with no engine sound. If you're in a real hurry it will kick the engine in to give you a boost over the 100kW that the battery can deliver. If you go full throttle and the engine zings up there is a bit of a drone as that little 1.5 cranks away, but it shouldn't persist for very long unless you're attempting a flying mile pass.

2. I can't directly answer that with any certainty but I think you'll probably want to try to avoid that situation haha. Maybe some sort of scotchguard treatment would help with cleanup.

3. I think Honda does a rather swell job with the brake feel on these cars which do the re-gen dance. In the experience that I've had with the PHEV it was fine.

jlin583
Profile for jlin583
Re: Clarity PHEV Second Week    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2018 23:48
Good to hear on points 1 & 3. Itís still up in the air if itíll be the Clarity PHEV or Accord Hybrid but I guess weíll find out after the test drive. As for my dog, scotchguard does sound like the most logical option. That or keeping the windows down all the time, lol.

Curious, does Honda have any recommendations for long term storage (4+ months) of hybrids? I donít think trickle chargers would work in this situation and the only thing I found online was to basically have someone start and run your car for 30 minutes every 90 days.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Clarity PHEV Second Week    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2018 00:01
jlin583 wrote:
Good to hear on points 1 & 3. Itís still up in the air if itíll be the Clarity PHEV or Accord Hybrid but I guess weíll find out after the test drive. As for my dog, scotchguard does sound like the most logical option. That or keeping the windows down all the time, lol.

Curious, does Honda have any recommendations for long term storage (4+ months) of hybrids? I donít think trickle chargers would work in this situation and the only thing I found online was to basically have someone start and run your car for 30 minutes every 90 days.

I guess with a plugin it wouldn't be too much of an issue, if you just left it plugged into the mains. It would be nice if you could programmatically instruct it to cease charging once the battery reaches 80%, and then only start refreshing it once it dips below a number of your choosing.

As for a hybrid, that's a really good question. Trickle chargers wouldn't be of any help at all as they would only address the 12V circuit.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 12:05
I am commuting 3 days a week and working from home 2 days a week on average. They Clarity PHEV is at 953 miles and still has about 2 gallons of the original gasoline left, based on the car saying it has 89 miles of gasoline range left. This means I will go over 1,000 miles on the gas that came with the car.

I still haven't put a Level 2 charger in the garage. I spent some time learning about electricity on youtube to try to keep an electrician from burning down my house. The basics of my situation are I have an old dryer plug with a NEMA 10-30 125/250v 30A receptacle which has no power going to it, as a previous owner used that breaker to power to pool equipment. My wife contacted a handyman who said he would tap into that power for the existing plug. I told her we need an actual electrician to make sure its safe.

All of the slots in the panel are filled, so do I need a sub panel, do I need this or that...All I have is a general knowledge to talk to the electrician and as long as he is willing to pull permits I am good.

I am writing this for anyone in North America thinking about getting a plug in. Other parts of the world don't have these issues. Depending on what the electrician can do I have several options for 240v charging cables on Amazon:
Charging cable has not been ordered but considering
Zencar 240v 16A NEMA 10-30 $219.99
Zencar 240v 16A NEMA 14-30 $259.99
Maxgreen 240v 16A/24A/32A NEMA 14-50 $449.99 Adjustable current
MUSTART 240v 32A NEMA 14-50 $399.99
ClipperCreek 240v 32A NEMA 14-50 $589.00 (Made in USA, 3 year warranty, NEC 625)

Also here is information on all of the differenct 240v plug configurations. I knew nothing about this stuff going in.

The good news is the charger near my work was 30cents a kWh + 55 cents an hour parking fee. This week I used it and its now 25 cents a kWh and no parking fee. That makes a one way trip of 40 miles cost about $2.50 in electricity, which is much less than a gallon of 87 octane in Los Angeles ($3.49 at a cheap station). Charging at home costs $1.20.

What this means is I will go back to all electric commutes, where I had switched to hybrid mode on the freeway to avoid the previously too expensive public charger. Anyone know when gasoline goes bad? I need to consider not filling the tank, but just having enough for a reserve, since I could be months between using 7 gallons.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity PHEV Second Week    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 20:24
JeffX wrote:
jlin583 wrote:

I guess with a plugin it wouldn't be too much of an issue, if you just left it plugged into the mains. It would be nice if you could programmatically instruct it to cease charging once the battery reaches 80%, and then only start refreshing it once it dips below a number of your choosing.

As for a hybrid, that's a really good question. Trickle chargers wouldn't be of any help at all as they would only address the 12V circuit.

We might need to merge these two forums....

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 09:31
Clarity is now at 1,009 miles and still on the 7 gallons of gasoline that came with the car. Also my electric company is going to give me $450 for having purchased a PHEV. Being on this end of wealth redistribution feels strange. I am used to earning what I get.

When calling about this they were hinting that perhaps I should wait until June to upgrade my home charging abilities. More incentives coming. To get the best rates for electricity a second meter dedicated to only charging vehicles has to be installed, and their estimate is it costing as much as $1,500. Will this be the incentive? I think so, because on my cul-de-sac of 14 homes the newest cars are a VW Golf EV, Tesla EV, my Clarity PHEV, Tesla Model 3, and for some reason an absolutely huge Cadillac Escalade ESV. It's a small school bus. So, I think the electric company will want to have the ability to monitor EV charging, which they can do via dedicated smart meters.

Still no carpool sticker. I knew as soon as I asked the dealer if they could submit the paperwork I had made a mistake. I knew better. There doesn't appear to be anything on the www to see the status of the request.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 14:00
GoFaster wrote:
Clarity is now at 1,009 miles and still on the 7 gallons of gasoline that came with the car. Also my electric company is going to give me $450 for having purchased a PHEV. Being on this end of wealth redistribution feels strange. I am used to earning what I get.

When calling about this they were hinting that perhaps I should wait until June to upgrade my home charging abilities. More incentives coming. To get the best rates for electricity a second meter dedicated to only charging vehicles has to be installed, and their estimate is it costing as much as $1,500. Will this be the incentive? I think so, because on my cul-de-sac of 14 homes the newest cars are a VW Golf EV, Tesla EV, my Clarity PHEV, Tesla Model 3, and for some reason an absolutely huge Cadillac Escalade ESV. It's a small school bus. So, I think the electric company will want to have the ability to monitor EV charging, which they can do via dedicated smart meters.

Still no carpool sticker. I knew as soon as I asked the dealer if they could submit the paperwork I had made a mistake. I knew better. There doesn't appear to be anything on the www to see the status of the request.

(1) Don't you have a smart meter already? My coworkers with Teslas (in Irvine/Tustin) already do (*) and SoCal Edison changes rates by the time (tiered charging). This also means that running your AC is going to get more expensive. You shouldn't need a new meter then.

To help with the high cost of day time electricity, two of those guys have solar panel arrays. That means that even when running the AC, the hit from the grid is reasonable, or none at all.

It's actually a sick joke. California's power companies are now monopolies (you can't buy electricity from anyone else after the failed Enron experiment) and they are controlled by environazis and tax greedy politicians. They exist to tell you NOT to use power and follow a Guatemalan Power Company plan... brownouts for all!

(2) They've changed the way the car pool stickers and rebates work. If you got your car in '18, you will get a red sticker. As usual, they passed the laws but the DMV has yet to figure out how to implement it. Those of us with white stickers will need to apply for a red one but there's nothing in the DMV site I can see that tells me how to do it.

Typical State Assholes. They pass laws and regulations and then nothing gets done in time.

(*) Actually I do too. I believe Irvine has been all smart metered since the early 00's.

(3) JEFF... CAN YOU PLEASE MERGE THE CLARITY AND FC FORUMS? It just doesn't work this way.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 14:06
TonyEX wrote:
GoFaster wrote:

(1) Don't you have a smart meter already? My coworkers with Teslas (in Irvine/Tustin) already do (*) and SoCal Edison changes rates by the time (tiered charging). This also means that running your AC is going to get more expensive. You shouldn't need a new meter then.

To help with the high cost of day time electricity, two of those guys have solar panel arrays. That means that even when running the AC, the hit from the grid is reasonable, or none at all.

It's actually a sick joke. California's power companies are now monopolies (you can't buy electricity from anyone else after the failed Enron experiment) and they are controlled by environazis and tax greedy politicians. They exist to tell you NOT to use power and follow a Guatemalan Power Company plan... brownouts for all!

(2) They've changed the way the car pool stickers and rebates work. If you got your car in '18, you will get a red sticker. As usual, they passed the laws but the DMV has yet to figure out how to implement it. Those of us with white stickers will need to apply for a red one but there's nothing in the DMV site I can see that tells me how to do it.

Typical State Assholes. They pass laws and regulations and then nothing gets done in time.

(*) Actually I do too. I believe Irvine has been all smart metered since the early 00's.

(3) JEFF... CAN YOU PLEASE MERGE THE CLARITY AND FC FORUMS? It just doesn't work this way.

I think the fuel cell specific stuff should stay in that forum. General Clarity stuff which is common to all Clarities (is that correct pluralization?) and the Clarity PHEV/BEV discussion can go here.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 22:36
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
GoFaster wrote:

I think the fuel cell specific stuff should stay in that forum. General Clarity stuff which is common to all Clarities (is that correct pluralization?) and the Clarity PHEV/BEV discussion can go here.

There's a lot of stuff in common with the cars.

Particularly in discussions about California stickers, rebates, Federal tax credits... and all the cars are lumped together.

A big hassle to follow the threads in two places.

I suppose since you don't live in the Glorious Soviet Republick of Calimexistan you would not understand how it is in the Bay Area and SoCal. Likely you don't live under Premier Moonbeamski and the Sacramentograd Duma. You don't have to deal with the People's Motorski Vehicular Anti Destinatizone Direckorat.

We're different, you know? :-P

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 10:09
Per: (1) Don't you have a smart meter already? My coworkers with Teslas (in Irvine/Tustin) already do (*) and SoCal Edison changes rates by the time (tiered charging). This also means that running your AC is going to get more expensive. You shouldn't need a new meter then.

Yes I have one smart meter. What Southern California Edison (SCE) requires for the best rates is a second smart meter dedicated to only charging EV. That meter will have its own rate. Specifically TOU-EV-1 is "a rate for electric vehicle charging stations with a dedicated meter". That is 13cents per kWH 9pm-noon the next day, and 37 cents (summer rate) 24 cents (Oct-May) from noon-9pm. But that rate is only for the meter to the EV. They also charge $2.76 per month for the second smart meter. SCE gives you the meter, but the homeowner pays for the installation.

I will be switching to TOU-D-A which will be 12cents from 10p - 8am (13cents in non-summer) and then rates jump all over the place for different hour of the day, summer or non-summer and weekdays vs weekends, and there is a 3cent a day charge but a $16 a month rebate....It must have be a committee decision to come up with this complexity. That rate is for the entire house, since there is only one smart meter. The worst rate is 48cents per kWh 2p-8p M-F in the summer. So on the hottest days I will run the A/C in the Clarity to get some relief and then recharge it at night. :)

There are 6 different tiered rate plans and they are all very difficult to determine what will be the best rate, because in addition to rates jumping around they have Daily Basic Charges and Baseline Credits.

S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 11:47
Hey GoFaster, did you end up figuring out your L2 charger?

What about the gas thing?

I have some insights from my experience with my i3, and I'd love to compare, if you'd like to hear about it.

Keep us posted!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0