[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX is Top Safety Pick+
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Early Honda TV Ads

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 19:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
CanTeX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
A '68 Dodge Dart (Buenos dias, Tony!) seemed like the height of transatlantic advancement, compared to its miserable, unreliable British counterparts. Then again, CA in '68 was a whole decade ahead of Blighty.

Even back there, people seemed somehow happier with their lot generally.

I saw a Corvair, at least. Rhood up, wouldn't start...I'd never seen an engine quite like it. But I was about five or six...

I bought my fatherís Ď69 Dart as a second car. Very simple machine, V8, very light, wanted to run off the road if you punched it. Upholstered in the Hyde of the Nauga, thick stuff that would fry or freeze your privates, with me wearing polyester pants. Finally dumped it on my b.i.l. who then promptly wrecked it. Pinnacle of design for the era, not so much. My Ď75 Plymouth Duster was much the same but wouldnít start when hot. Per my note above, we tolerated an amazing amount of crap until Honda came along.

As to happy back then, we were struggling just like everybody else, worrying about domestic and international situations and paying the mortgage. Not to mention worrying about how we were ever going to turn these noisy messy little babies into strong adults. (Our fears on our kids was unfounded. But they in turn worry about their kids.)

The Dodge Dart ( please pronounce it in Castilian ) of my youth were made in Spain and had inline 6s, no V8s.

I had a '64 Valiant with the 170 slant six and a '65 dart with the big 225.

My sister had either a '63 or '64 Valiant, with the original Italian-esqe styling - quite a departure from the accepted norms back then. That slant 6 was a workhorse in my father's '62 Plymouth, especially considering what these teens did to it. (There was mild mention about the number of miles added and the status of the fuel gauge but that was about it - I did the same to our boys but couldn't come down hard on what they did to cars considering what I did to cars.)

My 170 Valiant had a three on the tree and me and my Dad replaced the clutch early on. The 225 Dart had the automatic with the push buttons on the dash.

The Spanish Dodge Darts had the 225 and the automatic. I don't know if it was a push button affair, but they were considered luxo mobiles and expensive to buy and run (lots of gasoline).

For sure, the English tourists in their Ford Cortinas pulling a Caravan had NO chance against a Castilian driving a Dart in anger.

For that matter, neither had our Deux Cheveax or my uncles' Peugeots/Renaults/Bimmers.

But, I did have this ONE uncle with the mid 60s Buick Skylark... eh. eh! He did have more power than the Darts!

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 12:21
Ainít nostalgia great? I had a fun youth. My wife would never have married me if she had been a passenger on my exploits. But I go to car shows now and see a VW or Volvo PV544 or Corvair and think, wow, I was extremely lucky I never hit anything. All of them were quite unsafe, even the Volvo with its 3-point seat belts. Iíll take all the nanny features now, please. Iím spoiled.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 12:47
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
CanTeX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
A '68 Dodge Dart (Buenos dias, Tony!) seemed like the height of transatlantic advancement, compared to its miserable, unreliable British counterparts. Then again, CA in '68 was a whole decade ahead of Blighty.

Even back there, people seemed somehow happier with their lot generally.

I saw a Corvair, at least. Rhood up, wouldn't start...I'd never seen an engine quite like it. But I was about five or six...

I bought my fatherís Ď69 Dart as a second car. Very simple machine, V8, very light, wanted to run off the road if you punched it. Upholstered in the Hyde of the Nauga, thick stuff that would fry or freeze your privates, with me wearing polyester pants. Finally dumped it on my b.i.l. who then promptly wrecked it. Pinnacle of design for the era, not so much. My Ď75 Plymouth Duster was much the same but wouldnít start when hot. Per my note above, we tolerated an amazing amount of crap until Honda came along.

As to happy back then, we were struggling just like everybody else, worrying about domestic and international situations and paying the mortgage. Not to mention worrying about how we were ever going to turn these noisy messy little babies into strong adults. (Our fears on our kids was unfounded. But they in turn worry about their kids.)

The Dodge Dart ( please pronounce it in Castilian ) of my youth were made in Spain and had inline 6s, no V8s.

I had a '64 Valiant with the 170 slant six and a '65 dart with the big 225.

My sister had either a '63 or '64 Valiant, with the original Italian-esqe styling - quite a departure from the accepted norms back then. That slant 6 was a workhorse in my father's '62 Plymouth, especially considering what these teens did to it. (There was mild mention about the number of miles added and the status of the fuel gauge but that was about it - I did the same to our boys but couldn't come down hard on what they did to cars considering what I did to cars.)

My 170 Valiant had a three on the tree and me and my Dad replaced the clutch early on. The 225 Dart had the automatic with the push buttons on the dash.

The Spanish Dodge Darts had the 225 and the automatic. I don't know if it was a push button affair, but they were considered luxo mobiles and expensive to buy and run (lots of gasoline).

For sure, the English tourists in their Ford Cortinas pulling a Caravan had NO chance against a Castilian driving a Dart in anger.

For that matter, neither had our Deux Cheveax or my uncles' Peugeots/Renaults/Bimmers.

But, I did have this ONE uncle with the mid 60s Buick Skylark... eh. eh! He did have more power than the Darts!

My first car was a '64 Grand Prix which I paid $400 for and I traded it even up for the '64 Valiant during the oil embargo of 1973 when gas in Connecticut was up to $1.00 a gallon and there were waiting lines at the gas pumps. The Grand Prix got about 8 m.p.g. with it's 389!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2018 14:25
CanTeX wrote:
Ainít nostalgia great? I had a fun youth. My wife would never have married me if she had been a passenger on my exploits. But I go to car shows now and see a VW or Volvo PV544 or Corvair and think, wow, I was extremely lucky I never hit anything. All of them were quite unsafe, even the Volvo with its 3-point seat belts. Iíll take all the nanny features now, please. Iím spoiled.

Like I've written before, when I met my wife we shared wheel and tire sizes.

She had two flats in her Datsun 710 and needed to borrow the spare from my Datsun 510.

Or the day she was taking a post beach nap in my apartment and I decided to wash, polish and wax her red 710. It was heavily oxidized... so after a couple of hours and beers I was done. It went from orange to bright deep red!

Two Car People from the get go. We were truly meant for each other! ;-)

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 08:52
Nick GravesX wrote:
The '60s was the peak of the economic wave, so there was full employment, stuff was relatively affordable (what little there was) and there weren't pointless, petty rules and regulations about everything.

There was a lot less to get irritated about.

Yes, there were imperialist dickwads trying to take over the world and suppressing protests (against dickwads trying to take over the world) violently and racism/bigotry was more commonplace, so it wasn't all perfect. But that's always been the same, to a greater or lesser extent.

An analogy might be that your car was simple enough for you to understand and fix yourself, but you had to fix it a lot more frequently.

Fewer irritating distractions that we really don't need.

Yes...a nice summation.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0