[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX is Top Safety Pick+
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Early Honda TV Ads

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
CB77
Profile for CB77
Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 17:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Got a spare 9 minutes?

Amazing what an innocent, carefree depiction of American life in the '60s. Lots of dangerous stuff going on in these ads (no helmets in many of the ads, but they do start to show up in the later ads) and politically incorrect stuff (depictions of women) that jumps out at you now, but did not get a second thought back then.

I especially like the hokey musical soundtracks and the corny voice-over. Sounds like William Conrad did one of them...pretty funny with his deep macho voice extolling the virtues of a 50cc bike.

https://youtu.be/ck9wBHW2160

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 19:03
Very nice! Those were much simpler times.
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 19:52
The 60s were simpler times?!?? Really?!?
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 22:18
That is what those ads depict, and growing up in the 60's, I found them to be simpler times.
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 22:36
Obviously I wasn't there - just everything I've ever learned about the 60s paints a pretty complex picture of war and race and politics...not a whole lot different than today seemingly.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 23:20
Fitdad wrote:
Obviously I wasn't there - just everything I've ever learned about the 60s paints a pretty complex picture of war and race and politics...not a whole lot different than today seemingly.

I grew up in Fairfield (really) Connecticut, and we lived in an area called Lake Hills. It was before the internet and smartphones, so we would see glimpses of the outside world on our black and white TV, but mostly it was pretty carefree being a child in Fairfield during the 60's. I graduated from high school in '74 and the Vietnam conflict was winding down at that point.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 04:38
The '60s was the peak of the economic wave, so there was full employment, stuff was relatively affordable (what little there was) and there weren't pointless, petty rules and regulations about everything.

There was a lot less to get irritated about.

Yes, there were imperialist dickwads trying to take over the world and suppressing protests (against dickwads trying to take over the world) violently and racism/bigotry was more commonplace, so it wasn't all perfect. But that's always been the same, to a greater or lesser extent.

An analogy might be that your car was simple enough for you to understand and fix yourself, but you had to fix it a lot more frequently.

Fewer irritating distractions that we really don't need.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 07:09
My grandparents had a neighbor whom we knew had survived the Anzio landing. He was the nicest older fellow you could know, he always addressed me by name asking how I was doing that particular day, and he seemed so happy with working at the filling station he owned in our small town. The older people in the '60s and '70s (more my time) appreciated life in general more than anyone today as they should have considering their lives when they were younger. There was an optimism about life and an impatience with bickering and whining which are both largely missing today. We had a lot of problems to fix but we believed we could fix them.

Anyway, speaking of an optimism about living one's life, Honda is a good example. I liked the commercials in the lot here which were set in San Francisco, including the one with the brief shot of the Austin Healey Sprite. I didn't see my 125 in any of the shots but I wouldn't mind having one of those Trail 90's today. I was just a kid when I bought my bike and it was at a time when you could buy a simple helmet at nearly any sporting goods store. You didn't need anything else for a fun evening ride. Maybe a new pair of shoes every so often due to the shifter lever wearing a Badge of Courage spot on the top of your left shoe.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 09:25

One of my Honda retiree friends (who worked in Honda's Home Office for 40 years) made these comments to me, after I had emailed him this video:

"The ads strike me as really well done (effective).

"Kind of funny to me that they chose San Fran and its Hills as the film location. What do you think is the reason? Maybe to show that our little giant has a lot more guts (torque) than people may initially perceive?

"You may know that Honda's Motorcycle Advertising during this period was considered in academic circles (Business Administration & Marketing) to be a gold medal performance. To me, these ads do a very good job of highlighting key product features in a friendly way.

"As you point out, the ads make clear that America has changed in a quantum way (some positive, some negative) in the last 60 or so years."

Speaking of Honda's ad agency, there was an amusing episode of the TV show "Mad Men" where Don Draper's ad agency made a pitch for Honda's business. It was titled: "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword".

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 10:11

superchg2 wrote:
That is what those ads depict, and growing up in the 60's, I found them to be simpler times.

I came of age in the '60s...and I see the '60s as both:

> A simpler, more innocent time...

> And a time filled with tumultuous events.

It certainly was the decade that America lost its innocence.

"1968: AMERICA IN TURMOIL"

C-Span is doing an excellent retrospective on that terrible year 1968. What an awful year, with 5 major negative events, and one uplifting one:

> January, we lose the Tet Offensive in Viet Nam

> April, MLK assassinated

> June, Bobby Kennedy assassinated

> August, Police riots at the Democratic convention

> November, Nixon elected

Then the uplifting capstone to this tumultuous year...Apollo 8 orbits the moon for the first time on Christmas Eve, and sends back to us this iconic picture of "Earthrise"...showing us for the first time, the small blue marble we all live on in the vast coldness, darkness and hostility of space. It awakened many of us to the need to be good stewards of our planet. But, not all of us heard the call.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 10:14
My coworkers go all nostalgic on me when I pull out my own CT70, how they all had one when they were a kid (that or the Z50), etc. etc. Nowadays, you have to be 16 with a license and pretty expensive insurance, but you can still get a Grom. They're on campuses everywhere. Here is Wes Siler on one:

Very recently, Honda finally ended production of Z50s with the original 50cc engine and came out with a spiritual 125cc successor.

https://newatlas.com/2018-honda-monkey-bike/54334/

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 12:27
superchg2 wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

I grew up in Fairfield (really) Connecticut, and we lived in an area called Lake Hills. It was before the internet and smartphones, so we would see glimpses of the outside world on our black and white TV, but mostly it was pretty carefree being a child in Fairfield during the 60's. I graduated from high school in '74 and the Vietnam conflict was winding down at that point.

I do remember being on the school bus in 1963 coming home from school and one of the other kids had a transister radio playing a grim news report.

And I heard the unbelievable news that John F. Kennedy had been assassinated in Dallas that day.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 12:58
CB77 wrote:

So C-Span is saying the US lost the Tet Offensive? Militarily, I mean, and not back at home once Walter Cronkite returned from his tour.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 13:05
Grace141 wrote:
CB77 wrote:

So C-Span is saying the US lost the Tet Offensive? Militarily, I mean, and not back at home once Walter Cronkite returned from his tour.

Maybe not from a military standpoint...but from a public support standpoint we did lose it. It made Johnson (and the American public) understand that the North was willing to put an endless supply of their men into that meat grinder...a bigger supply than we were willing to. It was the turning point of that war.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 13:11
CB77 wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
CB77 wrote:

Maybe not from a military standpoint...but from a public support standpoint we did lose it. It made Johnson (and the American public) understand that the North was willing to put an endless supply of their men into that meat grinder...a bigger supply than we were willing to. It was the turning point of that war.

General Westmoreland failed to indicate that the U.S. was in a no-win situation.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 13:19

Yep...and Johnson listened to him. I think there is a pretty good chance that the Vietnam war would never have happened, if Kennedy had not been assassinated. Kennedy was very wary of listening to the military "experts" after the Bay of Pigs fiasco...which they assured him would be a "cakewalk".

Johnson, being of an earlier time was not inclined to ignore these same experts, regarding Vietnam and the Domino Theory. And I think that once he started to realize that this war was unwinnable, his motivation was just to not be the first U.S. president to lose a war.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 13:47
I really like the one ad saying that you could drive your Honda around all day on a nickles worth of gas!
:)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 14:51
CB77 wrote:

It was awesome... the whole thing was live on TVE in glorious black and white.

All of Western Europe stopped what they were doing and sat glued to the TV. It was waaay better than the World Cup at Wembley between England and Western Germany. ( That means, it was doublesuperduper triple beyond awesome, well beyond supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ).

I remember adults popping champagne when Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon. In the Home Country, a bottle of Cava is obligatory. In our flat, I used to go with my mom to get our Cava wholesale, in 24 bottle bundles. Usually enough for a month or so. ;-)

"A small step for a man, a [POP][POP][POP]kind"

"Ay cońo, pero que ha dicho?"

Oh, the Honda ads... very cool, very urban. That woman in San Francisco and the Rolls. A helmet would have wrecked her hair.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 14:59
1966 and 1967 were peak years for me, with my new '66 Corvair Corsa to rod around town with. Awesome little car. My employer was going through business expansion so this young engineer was promoted faster than I probably should have been.

In addition to all the bad stuff going on in 1968, I along with another guy found out my/his girlfriend was two-timing us. There we were, pulled off a major highway, surpentine belt having gone kablooie and who should pull over to help but the other guy. Awwww-kward!

Before that, in university my roomate decided I should ride to class on the back of his new Honda motorbike. Scared the livin' bejesus out of me - no more motorcycles for me. (This was not long after I witnessed an unhelmeted teen split his brain on the A-pillar of a Vauxhall. Watched his last breath lying on the road. Not a favorite memory of the '60s.)

Yes stuff was cheaper then but we weren't paid much either so a lot of the good stuff was unobtainable.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 15:14
Wow... you are old.

;-D

In '66 and '67 I was into Legos, Scalextric, TinTin books and Marklin.

Car wise I was the legacy owner of the middle of the rear seat of a 2CV... yep.. where the middle support bar was... cheeks on either side... my mom finally made me a very deep pillow. Phew! After a couple of hours sitting there I'd walk out as if I'd been on a horse for days.

The thought of a girlfriend was a few years away.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 15:24
Does anyone remember or miss the Burguess voiced Honda commercials of the 80s. Especially those for the third gen Accord. So simplistic and effective.

This is the closest I could find of a commercial from that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf79T3WXbis

If you substitute the 10G Accord in there it would fit perfectly for today's market too. Simplicity in marketing still works.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 15:26
CanTeX wrote:
1966 and 1967 were peak years for me, with my new '66 Corvair Corsa to rod around town with. Awesome little car. My employer was going through business expansion so this young engineer was promoted faster than I probably should have been.

In addition to all the bad stuff going on in 1968, I along with another guy found out my/his girlfriend was two-timing us. There we were, pulled off a major highway, surpentine belt having gone kablooie and who should pull over to help but the other guy. Awwww-kward!

Before that, in university my roomate decided I should ride to class on the back of his new Honda motorbike. Scared the livin' bejesus out of me - no more motorcycles for me. (This was not long after I witnessed an unhelmeted teen split his brain on the A-pillar of a Vauxhall. Watched his last breath lying on the road. Not a favorite memory of the '60s.)

Yes stuff was cheaper then but we weren't paid much either so a lot of the good stuff was unobtainable.

I, too, was a Corvair enthusiast. Had a '63 and a '68. Contrary to their reputation, I never had any trouble with either of them. I think the key was to keep the revs up (which I always did)...being an air-cooled engine, you needed to keep that fan blowing pretty hard. Yes, it was quite "tail-happy", but fun if you knew how to use that trait. And that was fixed on the '65 model.

I was (and still am) saddened to see its passing. It always makes me think of what it could have evolved into, if Nader had not attacked it. It might have become America's Porsche.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 17:43
CB77 wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

I, too, was a Corvair enthusiast. Had a '63 and a '68. Contrary to their reputation, I never had any trouble with either of them. I think the key was to keep the revs up (which I always did)...being an air-cooled engine, you needed to keep that fan blowing pretty hard. Yes, it was quite "tail-happy", but fun if you knew how to use that trait. And that was fixed on the '65 model.

I was (and still am) saddened to see its passing. It always makes me think of what it could have evolved into, if Nader had not attacked it. It might have become America's Porsche.

What made huge differences were the fast-ratio steering option, Koni shocks, Pirelli radials (in the bias-ply tire era) and a bigger anti-roll bar. I learned to 4-wheel drift on snow in my '60 Volvo so the Corvair was no problem. Hang the rear out a little bit, revs up, hammer it, and those Sunbeam Alpines, MGBs and TR4s didn't stand a chance on a twisty road or highway cloverleaf. All with the stock 4-carb engine.

Oh, and more fun was to pull up beside a Mustang or GTO at the light, then rev menacingly, inching forward. Then when the light changed I was off. By the time I got to 2nd, they'd catch and pass me. So we'd slow down, and more often and not, there they were, pulled over a few blocks down the road, having a chat with the friendly policeman.

Another knock on the Corvair was that the crash crumple zone consisted of an empty trunk, the gas tank and your knees.

And yes, Tony, I'm old. Kid racer at heart but the spousal unit has imposed strict rules. Beside, how wild can one get in an RDX anyway? ;-)

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 17:48
CanTeX wrote:
CB77 wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

What made huge differences were the fast-ratio steering option, Koni shocks, Pirelli radials (in the bias-ply tire era) and a bigger anti-roll bar. I learned to 4-wheel drift on snow in my '60 Volvo so the Corvair was no problem. Hang the rear out a little bit, revs up, hammer it, and those Sunbeam Alpines, MGBs and TR4s didn't stand a chance on a twisty road or highway cloverleaf. All with the stock 4-carb engine.

Oh, and more fun was to pull up beside a Mustang or GTO at the light, then rev menacingly, inching forward. Then when the light changed I was off. By the time I got to 2nd, they'd catch and pass me. So we'd slow down, and more often and not, there they were, pulled over a few blocks down the road, having a chat with the friendly policeman.

Another knock on the Corvair was that the crash crumple zone consisted of an empty trunk, the gas tank and your knees.

And yes, Tony, I'm old. Kid racer at heart but the spousal unit has imposed strict rules. Beside, how wild can one get in an RDX anyway? ;-)

And then I remember all the crapmobiles we bought between that Corvair and our '86 Accord. Starting with the '70 Barracuda and ending with the Dodge Caravan. *Shudder* That was a very dark era car-wise.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 04:34
A '68 Dodge Dart (Buenos dias, Tony!) seemed like the height of transatlantic advancement, compared to its miserable, unreliable British counterparts. Then again, CA in '68 was a whole decade ahead of Blighty.

Even back there, people seemed somehow happier with their lot generally.

I saw a Corvair, at least. Rhood up, wouldn't start...I'd never seen an engine quite like it. But I was about five or six...

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 09:07
Nick GravesX wrote:
A '68 Dodge Dart (Buenos dias, Tony!) seemed like the height of transatlantic advancement, compared to its miserable, unreliable British counterparts. Then again, CA in '68 was a whole decade ahead of Blighty.

I saw a Corvair, at least. Rhood up, wouldn't start...I'd never seen an engine quite like it. But I was about five or six...

I bought my father’s ‘69 Dart as a second car. Very simple machine, V8, very light, wanted to run off the road if you punched it. Upholstered in the Hyde of the Nauga, thick stuff that would fry or freeze your privates, with me wearing polyester pants. Finally dumped it on my b.i.l. who then promptly wrecked it. Pinnacle of design for the era, not so much. My ‘75 Plymouth Duster was much the same but wouldn’t start when hot. Per my note above, we tolerated an amazing amount of crap until Honda came along.

As to happy back then, we were struggling just like everybody else, worrying about domestic and international situations and paying the mortgage. Not to mention worrying about how we were ever going to turn these noisy messy little babies into strong adults. (Our fears on our kids was unfounded. But they in turn worry about their kids.)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 13:18
CanTeX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

I bought my father’s ‘69 Dart as a second car. Very simple machine, V8, very light, wanted to run off the road if you punched it. Upholstered in the Hyde of the Nauga, thick stuff that would fry or freeze your privates, with me wearing polyester pants. Finally dumped it on my b.i.l. who then promptly wrecked it. Pinnacle of design for the era, not so much. My ‘75 Plymouth Duster was much the same but wouldn’t start when hot. Per my note above, we tolerated an amazing amount of crap until Honda came along.

As to happy back then, we were struggling just like everybody else, worrying about domestic and international situations and paying the mortgage. Not to mention worrying about how we were ever going to turn these noisy messy little babies into strong adults. (Our fears on our kids was unfounded. But they in turn worry about their kids.)

The Dodge Dart ( please pronounce it in Castilian ) of my youth were made in Spain and had inline 6s, no V8s.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 14:00
TonyEX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

The Dodge Dart ( please pronounce it in Castilian ) of my youth were made in Spain and had inline 6s, no V8s.

I had a '64 Valiant with the 170 slant six and a '65 dart with the big 225.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 16:16
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

My sister had either a '63 or '64 Valiant, with the original Italian-esqe styling - quite a departure from the accepted norms back then. That slant 6 was a workhorse in my father's '62 Plymouth, especially considering what these teens did to it. (There was mild mention about the number of miles added and the status of the fuel gauge but that was about it - I did the same to our boys but couldn't come down hard on what they did to cars considering what I did to cars.)

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Early Honda TV Ads    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 17:54
CanTeX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

My sister had either a '63 or '64 Valiant, with the original Italian-esqe styling - quite a departure from the accepted norms back then. That slant 6 was a workhorse in my father's '62 Plymouth, especially considering what these teens did to it. (There was mild mention about the number of miles added and the status of the fuel gauge but that was about it - I did the same to our boys but couldn't come down hard on what they did to cars considering what I did to cars.)

My 170 Valiant had a three on the tree and me and my Dad replaced the clutch early on. The 225 Dart had the automatic with the push buttons on the dash.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0