[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX is Top Safety Pick+
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: RDX Production Starts

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 18:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://hondanews.com/releases/production-of-all-new-2019-acura-rdx-begins-at-east-liberty-auto-plant

_Not super newsworthy but they mention a “new, multi-layer paint system” and “Acura-Exclusive” colors. I was pretty sure that new colors were coming but the new paint system is news to me - I’ll be interested to hear from our more discerning TOVers if it’s an improvement over standard Honda paint.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 19:09
Some of the new CR-Vs I've seen have really bad orange peel. Hopefully this process produces a finish more like an Audi or Lexus.

There was a short vid. on Facebook of cars moving down the line, it looks like one of the exclusive colors is a bright blue.

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 20:10
I am seeing some RDXs already at dealer lots but assume they are demos. Here is a tweet to one in dark gray. I was hoping base rims would be nicer.

https://twitter.com/acurans/status/995357201815556096?s=19

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 21:45
Here are 2 youtube videos out from today. The content below the video has some specs which I think we already knew.

https://youtu.be/3Y4YyeqmXf0

https://youtu.be/CjQ2s8eQIqA

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 00:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZqnyT4DHkI

The Chrome cheeks on the lower ends of the bumper, I wander if that's going to be a "thing" on all Acuras.

And Honda wheels should never look more upscale than Acura wheels.

Brutus
Profile for Brutus
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 09:49
That interior is leaps better then anything else Acura has in the other models, awesome job Acura. I look forward to the next tlx, mdx.

B.

RKG
Profile for RKG
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 10:04
Brutus wrote:
That interior is leaps better then anything else Acura has in the other models, awesome job Acura. I look forward to the next tlx, mdx.

B.

I finally found something to crib about in the interior. The AC buttons. My first preference is Wheel knob. May be they thought it might not suit this interior. I would have at least preferred what we have in current lineup, up and down toggle switch. Not sure if this new button will be that user intuitive.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 14:12
gofast182 wrote:
Some of the new CR-Vs I've seen have really bad orange peel. Hopefully this process produces a finish more like an Audi or Lexus.

There was a short vid. on Facebook of cars moving down the line, it looks like one of the exclusive colors is a bright blue.

This is what I'm talking about - I really hope to hear more when people see production models.

If Acura really does have "better" paint then that's just another nail in the coffin for Honda+ and another point for Ikeda and Hachigo.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 16:26
Transferred from the Review thread:

That red color is a winner for me, Granted, though, we see it in bright color-tuned factory lighting. Not the same as in the wild. But still...

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 17:03
gofast182 wrote:

you can see that blue RDX A-Spec right here. Looks pretty sharp to me.

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-16-2018 22:13
This tweet suggests the new RDX starts at 36k.

https://twitter.com/roadshow/status/996887938356129793?s=19

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 08:42
I am not sure if this was posted yet. At the end of this video we see a non A-Spec RDX in red with better looking rims than some other photos have shown. Not sure if these are the advance rims or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtmN1ykb0ag

RKG
Profile for RKG
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 09:08
bnilhome wrote:
I am not sure if this was posted yet. At the end of this video we see a non A-Spec RDX in red with better looking rims than some other photos have shown. Not sure if these are the advance rims or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtmN1ykb0ag

Yeah, just based on looking at the cars, its not conclusive what trims we are looking at. These definitely are good looking rims. These also look like unpainted version (and smaller size) of one of A-Spec versions.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 10:47
gofast182 wrote:
...one of the exclusive colors is a bright blue.

rxtreme
Profile for rxtreme
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 16:04
When will they be available for purchase? Trying not to get antsy, but this will be the first tome in my life I have bought the same car back to back.
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 16:07
rxtreme wrote:
When will they be available for purchase? Trying not to get antsy, but this will be the first tome in my life I have bought the same car back to back.

My dealer said mid-June availability. Also, trying to confirm if Android Auto will NOT be present initially...heard that, too.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 16:13
cksi1372 wrote:
rxtreme wrote:

My dealer said mid-June availability. Also, trying to confirm if Android Auto will NOT be present initially...heard that, too.

It’s not. Apparently Google is still figuring out how to incorporate the somewhat unique interface of the true touchpad system into their software. If you read some of the early reviews they talk about this. I think the cars.com one was the one that covered the most ground.

rxtreme
Profile for rxtreme
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 20:04
Damn, I guess us iPhone users are SOL. Swapping my phone to integrate with my car would be truly dedicated to Acura. Lol.
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 21:56
rxtreme wrote:
Damn, I guess us iPhone users are SOL. Swapping my phone to integrate with my car would be truly dedicated to Acura. Lol.

No, iPhone users will be fine from the get go. It’s Android users that are SOL initially.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 21:58
Fitdad wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:
rxtreme wrote:

It’s not. Apparently Google is still figuring out how to incorporate the somewhat unique interface of the true touchpad system into their software. If you read some of the early reviews they talk about this. I think the cars.com one was the one that covered the most ground.

Thanks, I’ll check out that review.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2018 22:56
https://www.cars.com/articles/hands-on-with-the-2019-acura-rdxs-controversial-media-touchpad-1420699989615/
rxtreme
Profile for rxtreme
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 09:24
I find that odd. iPhone apps and 3rd party programming I have been told is more difficult than the android platform, but it may just come down to where Acura placed their efforts during development.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 14:24
Looking at these display images shows me that:

The font choice is poor for the resolution on the screen - from what I can see it looks to be the font "Myriad," (or a variation thereof) though the lowercase 'g' is different. This is a more "humanistic" font from the 80s - 90s. (*!) Font choice on ancillary buttons and knobs is inconsistent, too.

Because of its more gentle curves and inconsistent stroke thickness, Myriad tends to not render well at smaller sizes and weight choice becomes an issue, too. Here, combined with tighter letter spacing (and what looks to be about 18pt. in size), legibility is an issue here. For the number of items displayed per screen and the wide-screen proportions of the screen, they certainly are not making the most of the available "page-space."

*! - Font choice is essential to brand-value reinforcement and any designer with visual acuity and sensibility will recognize that this font style is, unfortunately, the primary font choice of Walmart's brand identity! (Helvetica, a Swiss, international-style font family, is used by Target, btw)

So not the visual association one would expect for a "premium brand..."

Because the screen is not perpendicular to the driver, perspective also becomes an issue as the graphics "fade" in the distance as a glossy-sheen screen and reflectivity aggravate the situation.

What's left is the unfortunate combination of much more modern center console and steering wheel controls peppered with graphic treatments that neither compliment or honor the effort invested in the larger shapes.

What Acura (again) fails to understand is that there is a palette of fonts available that communicate both sport and elegance combined with optimized legibility. This comes from what I believe is a lack of "discipline-diversity," where different POVs and talents can be leveraged to optimize a solution.

Details down to the last, Acura. The results cross-pollinate and propagate upward. And prevents design school inbreeding.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2018 15:38
I know nothing about interior design but I thought the infotainment looks pretty darn good. Gotta check it out in person to see how it works and how it looks though.

08NWBLKTLS
Profile for 08NWBLKTLS
Re: RDX Production Starts    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2018 19:04

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0