[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Genesis G70 - Everyday Reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Want to stop faster than a Tesla Model 3? Get an F-150
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-24-2018 03:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Iíve been eyeing on these

https://www.hondaofsantafe.com/new/Honda/2017-Honda-Accord+Hybrid-for-sale-santa-fe-3204e6dd0a0e0a171812578a923bcd7c.htm

https://www.sfhonda.com/new/Honda/2017-Honda-Accord+Hybrid-e008c59a0a0e0ae828480609a78c02f0.htm

For hybrid Accord am I better off buying last yearís model (2017) over the 2018 model for the following reasons ?

1) assembled in Japan (JH-vin#)
2) higher mpg estimate from EPA
3) longer range due to bigger fuel tank
4) the last of its kind containing rare-earth minerals in battery

The only demerit i see for the 2017 model is that the trunk is only 14 cubic ft. But my current Accord from 2003 is also 14 cubic ft.

Iím not sure how the driving dynamics is like for 9th and 10th generation accords... and Iím hoping TOVers could give me first hand impressions.

For reference I still drive Ď03 Accord EX v6 sedan with 197k miles. Factory transmission was a bust and replaced (with warranty) brand new in 2005. Trouble free since then. Knock on wood.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-24-2018 18:23
The Legend wrote:
Iíve been eyeing on these

https://www.hondaofsantafe.com/new/Honda/2017-Honda-Accord+Hybrid-for-sale-santa-fe-3204e6dd0a0e0a171812578a923bcd7c.htm

https://www.sfhonda.com/new/Honda/2017-Honda-Accord+Hybrid-e008c59a0a0e0ae828480609a78c02f0.htm

For hybrid Accord am I better off buying last yearís model (2017) over the 2018 model for the following reasons ?

1) assembled in Japan (JH-vin#)
2) higher mpg estimate from EPA
3) longer range due to bigger fuel tank
4) the last of its kind containing rare-earth minerals in battery

The only demerit i see for the 2017 model is that the trunk is only 14 cubic ft. But my current Accord from 2003 is also 14 cubic ft.

Iím not sure how the driving dynamics is like for 9th and 10th generation accords... and Iím hoping TOVers could give me first hand impressions.

For reference I still drive Ď03 Accord EX v6 sedan with 197k miles. Factory transmission was a bust and replaced (with warranty) brand new in 2005. Trouble free since then. Knock on wood.

Can you get a deal on the '17?

(1) Very long range per tank. Easily 600 miles per tank on the open road. Cruising at 80 mph in CC!!!
(2) The battery cooling vents are between the rear doors and the rear seat back. In long trips your passengers can't put a pillow in there and sleep.
(3) Smaller trunk. Not a good car for a Christmas trip: luggage, gifts, etc..

The '18

(1) Shorter range... but likely still pushing 500 miles on the open road.
(2) Trunk is "Accord normal" with pass through to the cabin.
(3) Battery vents have been relocated. Rear seat passengers will be happy.

MPG is a wash. They both have the same.

Accords built in Ohio seem to be as good as those that are Yamato sourced.

Why are rare earth metals in the electric motors a concern?

I'd get the new one. Mostly because of the trunk and cooling vent relocation.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2018 07:08
There are a few ways to look at the options.

The '18 should be a great car and you'll have the newest model. That's fun. TonyEX will probably have one in a year or so for a year or so, so that'll be fun to compare with his experience.

Another thought is if there's a discount on the '17's, then you'll save cash and gas by getting the '17 Hybrid.

I like the long range of my '17 Hybrid and I do the over fill like Andrew does with his. I've never owned an 11-ish gallon tank, but can't think it'd be fun to go to the gas station every week in a hybrid. As it is, every time I go to the gas station, I wish I had an electric car and could charge at home.

I don't expect there's much difference in driving feel of the '17 and '18, but I'd like to try the paddle-shifting regenerative braking on the '18. Having options of how strong the regen-braking is would just add to the fun of what I call "video-gaming for higher MPG's". (No I don't hyper-mile and annoy the drivers behind me.)

Battery vent is only on the driver side of the backseat in the '17, so only one passenger can't use a pillow. Put the luggage there, since yes, this isn't a Christmas trip with all the gifts car. We use our minivan for that trip.

For highway driving from Santa Fe, I think you could get to Vegas, Denver, Wichita, and Dallas on one overfilled tank in the '17. That'd be fun.

One question I have for TOVer's is, if the '17 was built in possibly July '17 and sitting on a lot since then, would there be any issues?

After all my thinking about it, I think I'd say go with the design you like better '17 or '18.

The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Re: Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2018 14:48
Thx for the response above.

Also, how much mpg penalty should I expect if I change the OEM tires to something with a bit more grip like the Michellin Premier? Iím willing to lose a bit of mpg to gain some safety margin. Iím attracted to accord hybrid because I hear theyíre very smooth cruisers and The potential for long term durability of the drivetrain (no ďtransmissionĒ, and no turbos & direct injection that make other cars disposable after warranty period expires) and I see the high mpg as just icing on the cake.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2018 07:23
My '17 EX-L came with Michelin tires and I'll probably put Premier tires on them when they've worn down. That's probably when the Premier is comparably better, since their marketing says they have similar wet traction when they're worn down. I'd say keep the OEM's until you have a sense of the mpg, then you'll be able to decide if you're willing to sacrifice some mpg on your preferred tires.

What kind of driving will you do? Mountainous, open highway, traffic jams? Those will dictate specific MPG's more than your tire choice.

I think it's smooth, people have said it's quiet and easy to talk in while on the highway. I still imagine "Lexus quiet" would be better. All those potentials for long term durability were in my mind too, when I picked the '17 Hybrid.

Foxy_Grandma
Profile for Foxy_Grandma
Re: Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2018 08:49
As far as your question around non-OEM tires goes, I've got a '17 Hybrid Touring and swapped my original wheel/tire package for the 19" wheels from the non-hybrid Accord and have tried both the original 235/40-19 Continental tires as well as a set of 225/40-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on it. Both options give me a larger overall diameter than the stock tires, so there's a speed offset that has to be taken into account both on the speedometer and in the mileage calculations. Overall, I see a roughly 2MPG penalty for the larger wheel/tire package which is also less aerodynamically efficient and heavier than the stock wheel/tire package. I definitely prefer the Michelin tires hands down over the Continentals.
As far as a comparison to the stock tires, there's an absolute difference in handling and grip. Personally, I've been more than happy giving up a couple of MPG on average to have more grip, better response, and infinitely better looks than the stock package.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 18:08
Foxy_Grandma wrote:
As far as your question around non-OEM tires goes, I've got a '17 Hybrid Touring and swapped my original wheel/tire package for the 19" wheels from the non-hybrid Accord and have tried both the original 235/40-19 Continental tires as well as a set of 225/40-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on it. Both options give me a larger overall diameter than the stock tires, so there's a speed offset that has to be taken into account both on the speedometer and in the mileage calculations. Overall, I see a roughly 2MPG penalty for the larger wheel/tire package which is also less aerodynamically efficient and heavier than the stock wheel/tire package. I definitely prefer the Michelin tires hands down over the Continentals.
As far as a comparison to the stock tires, there's an absolute difference in handling and grip. Personally, I've been more than happy giving up a couple of MPG on average to have more grip, better response, and infinitely better looks than the stock package.

We're still running LRR Bridgestone Ecopia 422s in the 06 Civic Hybrid. They handle well enough and increased the mileage by 3 mpg over the POS OEM Dunlops. LRR tires have come a long way in the last 12 years.

RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 10:18
TonyEX wrote:
Foxy_Grandma wrote:

We're still running LRR Bridgestone Ecopia 422s in the 06 Civic Hybrid. They handle well enough and increased the mileage by 3 mpg over the POS OEM Dunlops. LRR tires have come a long way in the last 12 years.

Are there any winter LRR tires available? A LRR tire for winter would seem to be an oxymoron but I'm wondering if anyone is selling them?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord Hybrid: Get MY2017 or MY2018 ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 19:57
RSX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Foxy_Grandma wrote:

Are there any winter LRR tires available? A LRR tire for winter would seem to be an oxymoron but I'm wondering if anyone is selling them?

The Ecopias do quite well in the rain.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0