[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX is Top Safety Pick+
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 09:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/05/honda-civic-saloon-becomes-available-uk-first-time/

Made in Turkey.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 10:25
Good luck with that...
BG
Profile for BG
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 10:42
Strange that the 1.5t is not happening... now bring the coupe!!
honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 10:51
Modern day Accord Euro? But interior quality isn’t up to par to even the last one offered (our TSX).
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 10:53
Nick GravesX wrote:
Good luck with that...

Right. Something about this one in the UK seems a bit... out-of-context.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 10:56
Weird they wouldn’t just wait and offer insight instead?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 11:06
More parts to stock...no Insight.

Also the imminent demise of cancer engines is largely exaggerated.

So this is their answer to the company car market. Apparently.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 12:04
They love them in the Republic of Ireland.....
Dear god Honda.... 4 door Civic ..... I remember not being able to sell them back in 1996. Good luck with that one

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2018 13:09
Nick GravesX wrote:
More parts to stock...no Insight.

Also the imminent demise of cancer engines is largely exaggerated.

So this is their answer to the company car market. Apparently.

The EU market is like the Fourth Reich... controlled by the German bankers and the weird laws. It sounds like the "fleet car" market drives the retail market, huh? Upside down, upside down.

You gotta get rid of the morons running your governments and realize that the Paris Agreement is but a globalist restriction on your automotive rights.

Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2018 19:28
This is interesting.
They won't have much capacity for export in Gebze, so perhaps 150 a month is a nice goal.
I think there's a few 100k Turkish originated people in the UK, that is a market to consider too.

Most interesting thing but is the not used second production line in Swindon.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2018 17:37
Sedans doesn't sell too well in EU, where hatchback is king. Honda can expect probably 1/10 of the Civic hatcback sales, which right now are about 40K per year.
Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 03:02
sennaFAN wrote:
Dear god Honda.... 4 door Civic ..... I remember not being able to sell them back in 1996. Good luck with that one

First mistake is the name, Civic is not good for a 4 door in EU, even Renault or Citroën change the name, like for example Megane, b como s Fluence in 4 doors. Etc.

Call it something else like Quintet, Solo, Logo+ or even Mozart or Bach, but not Civic, will not sell. Civic in the minds of Europeans is a Polo sized car (for the main non enthusiast people). Type R is not co sider d à Civic, but just a Type R (a bit like the Skyli e some years ago, was a Gtr, if you said Skyline in EU, only GranTurismo gamers would understand).

Nice car, nice fit and finish but overpriced (25k Eur the versión I ve seen with 1.5 turbo). This type of cars is défi itely targeted to Eastern Europe, Turkey and Russia + Greece and Cyprus. West EU almost only wants hatchbacks for this segment (Civic name), if they wanted to compete with the Golf, call it another name, like the Jetta (4 doors Golf), Europeans tend to associate a car name with a modularity layout (Golf = hatch or wagon), A4 = 4 doors or wagon. A3 = hatch or wagon etc.

Small investment in name change (Concerto was cool, but it was the hatchback name of the time) could have helped this car that will be anonymous and sold by mistake or with big discounts when staying on the lots for more than 1 year.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 04:50
sennaFAN wrote:

Yes, apparently there is still love for the saloon here, maybe it will tempt the odd previous Accord buyer back. The styling seems a little less extreme to the hatch too.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 05:02
Mikgtir wrote:
sennaFAN wrote:

First mistake is the name, Civic is not good for a 4 door in EU, even Renault or Citroën change the name, like for example Megane, b como s Fluence in 4 doors. Etc.

Call it something else like Quintet, Solo, Logo+ or even Mozart or Bach, but not Civic, will not sell. Civic in the minds of Europeans is a Polo sized car (for the main non enthusiast people). Type R is not co sider d à Civic, but just a Type R (a bit like the Skyli e some years ago, was a Gtr, if you said Skyline in EU, only GranTurismo gamers would understand).

Nice car, nice fit and finish but overpriced (25k Eur the versión I ve seen with 1.5 turbo). This type of cars is défi itely targeted to Eastern Europe, Turkey and Russia + Greece and Cyprus. West EU almost only wants hatchbacks for this segment (Civic name), if they wanted to compete with the Golf, call it another name, like the Jetta (4 doors Golf), Europeans tend to associate a car name with a modularity layout (Golf = hatch or wagon), A4 = 4 doors or wagon. A3 = hatch or wagon etc.

Small investment in name change (Concerto was cool, but it was the hatchback name of the time) could have helped this car that will be anonymous and sold by mistake or with big discounts when staying on the lots for more than 1 year.

Clutching at straws...the name is really the least of their concerns.

I believe most non-car people just don't like Hondas. Especially when they look like that.

I am completely at a loss to suggest realistically how they get it back from here. I don't believe they can, quite frankly.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 06:25
I wonder if they are just trying to offer a bit of diversity in the show room. The old four door Civics had all the appeal of the plague but it did at least mean there was something parked between the accords and crv's in the showroom.
The fact that they are in reality as big as the old Accord may mean they are offering a car to middle management retirees who want something as dull as them in the years prior to pushing up Daisies.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 07:27
sennaFAN wrote:
I wonder if they are just trying to offer a bit of diversity in the show room. The old four door Civics had all the appeal of the plague but it did at least mean there was something parked between the accords and crv's in the showroom.
The fact that they are in reality as big as the old Accord may mean they are offering a car to middle management retirees who want something as dull as them in the years prior to pushing up Daisies.

Definitely - there is an old contingent of loyal Accord fans, albeit a small one.

And it's an easy fit, since the car's in Europe already.

But it's not likely to set the world on fire.

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 10:43
Cant see who'll buy it. Too low for old people surely. Harder to get into than the old tsx/euro accord and nowhere near the quality. If the civic coupe had been a hatch they could possibly sell an Si version - a milder much prettier and cheaper type R. A bit like a Vauxhall GTC or VW Scirocco.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 10:59
A77X wrote:
Cant see who'll buy it. Too low for old people surely. Harder to get into than the old tsx/euro accord and nowhere near the quality. If the civic coupe had been a hatch they could possibly sell an Si version - a milder much prettier and cheaper type R. A bit like a Vauxhall GTC or VW Scirocco.

Not all Accord fans are that old, TBF.

But yes, it's no Euro-Accord/TSX. Which is basically Honda's problem.

Mind you, current Acuras aren't either.

On a better note and in the interests of balance, The Civic has done fairly well in this year's JDP rankings (FWIW):

https://www.nortonwayhonda.co.uk/news/honda-ranked-3rd-driver-power-2018/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=03%20NWHonda%20-%20May%202018&utm_content=03%20NWHonda%20-%20May%202018+CID_66067bd82bed352d357e4f65d9856d01&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor%20Emails&utm_term=READ%20MORE

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 14:35
Nick GravesX wrote:
Mikgtir wrote:
sennaFAN wrote:

Clutching at straws...the name is really the least of their concerns.

I believe most non-car people just don't like Hondas. Especially when they look like that.

I am completely at a loss to suggest realistically how they get it back from here. I don't believe they can, quite frankly.

Let's just say it straight as it is, Honda Europes lineup sucks like nothing else and is a fucking disgrace for the "largest engine maker of the world".

The 3rd Gen Jazz started with applied handbrake, only offering the 1.3L engine and not even advertising it's new Atkinson-Cycle efficiency. All that people heard was the bitching of car journalist how little HP the car had. The Hybrid which could have made a real difference didn't made it to Europe, it stayed in Japan and Malaysia only. The 1.5L engine upgrade came years later after it was long introduced in all other parts of the world, with the same level of advertising as the 1.3L Jazz - none at all.

The new Civic sucks. It's neither an Japanese, nor an European design. All about it says USA but in contrast to what you could expect, it comes with fucking midget engine AIDS. Honda can keep these and ram it up the ass of that clown who thought copying Ford and Failwagen is a good way to show how great Honda is. F*ck you and f*ck your engine!

The HR-V, what to say. I hate SUVs to the guts, but though that I have to say that this is the most spacious and practical of the small size SUVs there are. It beats the Juke and the C-HR by far and still, people are rather buying these other cars as again there is no advertising and the Hybrid powertrain is missing.

The CR-V is probably the only vehicle in Honda Europe's lineup which is halfway competitible to its brethren in other countries. We can expect some amazing technology with the i-MMD Hybrid, which will receive absolute zero attention, cause it won't be advertised either.

My recommendation to fix Honda Europe, every week which passes and the situation doesn't change, one guy of the overpaid incapable blokes of Honda Europe management gets hung on a tree outside of Swindon plant, to set an example for the others. Maybe that will be a motivation at least to actually work for the money they get paid.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 17:01
Mikgtir wrote:
sennaFAN wrote:

First mistake is the name, Civic is not good for a 4 door in EU, ...

Inbred ingrate market driven by taxes and the fleet market.

Honda should just pull out of the EU, period.

Let them gloat in their Renaults, Peugeouts, Audi, Bimmer, Benzes....

Let them think they are superior when in reality they are sinking into irrelevance.

Let them figure that minor maintenance every 5,000 Km, major system replacement at every 40,000 Km and car replacement every 90,000 Km is a sign of exceptional engineering and manufacturing.

Let them believe their cars are the best when in 5 years their whole fleet will be camels and Toyota Technicals.

To the Brits... best I can say is... BLOW UP THE CHUNNEL.

Sad for Catalunya, but what else can be said?

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 18:16
TonyEX wrote:
Mikgtir wrote:
sennaFAN wrote:

Let them think they are superior when in reality they are sinking into irrelevance.

Let them figure that minor maintenance every 5,000 Km, major system replacement at every 40,000 Km and car replacement every 90,000 Km is a sign of exceptional engineering and manufacturing.

Let them believe their cars are the best when in 5 years their whole fleet will be camels and Toyota Technicals.

You forgot to mention that Toyota and Mazda are doing pretty good on the market. And that's because - while yes, the market is difficult - they still do their job. Honda Europe Management on the other hand simply doesn't.

I got an even better idea, we'll exchange the management. We get Honda US guys in Europe, and you get the Honda euro guys. I'd love to see you writing "Honda should just pull out of the US" :)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 18:59
KaizenDo wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Mikgtir wrote:
sennaFAN wrote:

You forgot to mention that Toyota and Mazda are doing pretty good on the market. And that's because - while yes, the market is difficult - they still do their job. Honda Europe Management on the other hand simply doesn't.

I got an even better idea, we'll exchange the management. We get Honda US guys in Europe, and you get the Honda euro guys. I'd love to see you writing "Honda should just pull out of the US" :)

If you don't behave we'll send you the Acura Circular Marketing Team, ACMR. ©.

They go around in circles all the time. Usually down the toilet. You guys will love them. They'll fit great in France.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Honda Civic Saloon Becomes Available In The UK For The First Time    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2018 19:29
TonyEX wrote:
KaizenDo wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Mikgtir wrote:
sennaFAN wrote:

If you don't behave we'll send you the Acura Circular Marketing Team, ACMR. ©.

They go around in circles all the time. Usually down the toilet. You guys will love them. They'll fit great in France.

You will be sent to the Honda Europa HIPWSB (Hands in pocket while scratching balls) Marketing team.

They are about the same as ACMR, but instead of trying to sell a Honda vehicle as premium car like the Acura guys, HIPWSB tries to get oldest and most unwanted configuration of any Honda on the planet to Europe and for the rest of the day stuck their heads either in the sand or in each others arses.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0