[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Genesis G70 - Everyday Reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Want to stop faster than a Tesla Model 3? Get an F-150
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > IMA/Hybrids > > Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2017 08:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'm happy to write that I'm now the owner of a silver 2017 EX-L Accord Hybrid.

I'd like to learn about the car and wonder if there are any tips TOV readers can give me.

I've found it to be quiet on the I-135 in Kansas, since it's flat the engine keeps the revs low, the engine isn't intrusively loud and the battery doesn't get depleted on the highway. The suspension is a great improvement over my '06 Civic, as I expected moving to an Accord.

I bought it here in Kansas, so I didn't get the California 150k battery warranty. But I don't expect to own it for 11 years, like I did my Civic.

One question: I think I can drive across my town in EV mode, but can't find a way to get the battery charged fully. Is there a type of driving that consistently charges the battery?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2017 18:50
JimmyEats wrote:
I'm happy to write that I'm now the owner of a silver 2017 EX-L Accord Hybrid.

I'd like to learn about the car and wonder if there are any tips TOV readers can give me.

I've found it to be quiet on the I-135 in Kansas, since it's flat the engine keeps the revs low, the engine isn't intrusively loud and the battery doesn't get depleted on the highway. The suspension is a great improvement over my '06 Civic, as I expected moving to an Accord.

I bought it here in Kansas, so I didn't get the California 150k battery warranty. But I don't expect to own it for 11 years, like I did my Civic.

One question: I think I can drive across my town in EV mode, but can't find a way to get the battery charged fully. Is there a type of driving that consistently charges the battery?

Congratulations and welcome to the future.

OK, off my experience with the '14 and '15. I think the '17 is a little bit more powerful, but it doesn't seem to be much different.

(1) Find a hill. Go down hill. I live on a hillside. Otherwise drive it under 65 in "B" mode. It will charge the battery but it will drop your mileage.

(2) The EV button is the trick. Keep hitting it, asking the car to go EV. It may not be able to do so and it will tell you, but at least you're prompting the car to go EV more often that it would on its own. You really don't want to charge the battery, you want to USE the battery. It's OK if you keep it at five or six bars so long as you can periodically drive stretches on EV mode.

(3) BIG TRICK ONE: Maximize your use of cruise control... even on short stretches. The computer can do wonderful things for you. It smooths out the throttle.

(4) BIG TRICK TWO: Extend your braking distances and use the "B" mode as a lower gear... do it gently so that most of the braking is handled by the regen brakes... but don't drive like a Prius... don't piss off the people behind you. This combination will help charge the battery faster.

(5) BIG TRICK THREE: Use the "B" mode. I used it as a "low" gear, so when driving, if I wanted to slow down without tapping the brakes, or going into a turn, I'd go into "B" mode... I'd coast and use "B" and the car would slow down and charge the battery. Slowing down for red light? a stop sign? Use the Power of the "B" mode!

(6) Off the line, select EV and be light on the throttle. I have passed Priuses and Camrys on acceleration, but it's slow and you must be very GENTLE and CONSTANT on the throttle. Best is if you use cruise control to accelerate. Have it set to 40 mph and off the line re-enable it.

Another way to do it, is to gently accelerate to speed using the ICE power and then set it to CC as soon as you reach your speed. This also works well. In fact, it works better with traffic around you. Don't insist on setting a snail pace when accelerating to stay in EV, but you don't have to drive it as if you stole it.

(Note: It amazes me that people in Priuses and Camrys can be so doggone agonizing SLOW).

(6) On the freeway, if you can cruise at 65 mph on a flat space, just before the ICE kicking in, you can get amazing mileage. The battery will charge on its own and you can go for long distances on alternating in and out of EV mode. I've seen mileage in the 80 mpg mode! Again, try to use CC.

The car is easy to use and in stop and go traffic, that instant ON torque is addicting. The powertrain is fluid in its power delivery.

Imagine now that you got to replace that ICE with a Fuel Cell.. and you got our Clarity.

Enjoy it...

Oh... on the open highway, you can easily get 550 miles per tank using CC and keeping the speeds around -and under- 80 mph.

And don't do like Andrew who overfills his tank to get 1000 miles per tank. :-P

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2017 06:27
Thanks Tony, that's very helpful.

But why not overfill the tank like Andrew? That's what I've been waiting to do, though not up to the gas cap. I've been saving my Kroger-Ralph's-Dillon's-Baker's-Smith's fuel points and plan to fill up at $1 off per gallon with my Accord and my wife's Sienna.

(2)? Under 65 mph in "B" mode will fully charge the battery? Does "B" mode charge the battery when accelerating or only when "B"raking.

(5) I wish I had had "B" mode in the Sienna coming down from the Rockies on I-70. We heated up our brakes and further warped the rotors. Of course the van was heavy with our stuff. Can the Accord brakes get hot from "B" mode use?

(6) There's a lot of flat 65 mph highways here, so I'll see what I can do. Around town there's 35 mph roads, what's the slowest the car can use cruise control?

Are there any articles from Honda engineers regarding the differences between the '14/'15 and the '17? Like heavier throttle or faster speed and staying in EV mode.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2017 08:27
Anything you can do to take the load off the service brakes, helps reduce temperature. That's why trucks have exhaust brakes/engine brakes/retarders.

Your biggest expense might be seized rear calipers/corroded disks. Cars such as CR-Zs barely ever use them sufficiently to keep them healthy!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2017 15:09
JimmyEats wrote:
Thanks Tony, that's very helpful.

But why not overfill the tank like Andrew? That's what I've been waiting to do, though not up to the gas cap. I've been saving my Kroger-Ralph's-Dillon's-Baker's-Smith's fuel points and plan to fill up at $1 off per gallon with my Accord and my wife's Sienna.

(2)? Under 65 mph in "B" mode will fully charge the battery? Does "B" mode charge the battery when accelerating or only when "B"raking.

(5) I wish I had had "B" mode in the Sienna coming down from the Rockies on I-70. We heated up our brakes and further warped the rotors. Of course the van was heavy with our stuff. Can the Accord brakes get hot from "B" mode use?

(6) There's a lot of flat 65 mph highways here, so I'll see what I can do. Around town there's 35 mph roads, what's the slowest the car can use cruise control?

Are there any articles from Honda engineers regarding the differences between the '14/'15 and the '17? Like heavier throttle or faster speed and staying in EV mode.

(1) A full gas tank is good for 550 miles. Around town, that coud be like filling up every two months Put the gas in the Sienna.

(2) I've only seen the battery get FULL on a downhill. Using "B mode" all the time might fill it up but then you lose mileage. Using the "B mode" affects how the powertrain reacts all the time. When you're driving, the ICE generates more power that is needed in order to create a surplus of power that goes into the battery. You see this as running a higher RPM for a given speed

(3) Doesn't your Sienna have a D-4-3-L or something like that? That said, we overheated the brakes in our RDX coming down the Shiskayou Pass into Oregon because some First Class Asshole in a Prius took the whole descent at 30 mph... and the right lane was filled with trucks. Until I was able to pass him, I was in 2nd gear and using the brakes a lot. For a bit after that I was afraid I had warped the rotors, but after a while they started to work.

Of course, two days later, the ABS module failed.

(3) I don't know. I think the motor is somewhat more powerful (8% more power, 6% more torque) but I doubt they've done a significant change. I guess the biggest changes are the availabity of fog lights, less chrome on the dash and the lack of a radio volume control in the '17.

http://www.gardenstatehonda.com/blog/2017-vs-2015-honda-accord-hybrid/

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2017 20:24
Had a '17 HAH EX-L for the better part of a week as a service loaner in February of this year. Wasn't unusually cold for Northwest Ohio, but between that weather and the dishwater that passes for winter-formula gasoline in my area, Honda powetrains in general suffer a good deal of MPG loss in the winter months in the Great Lakes!

My 2013 Touring gets an average of 22mpg around that time of year.

Over the course of a workweek, I got a genuine 34mpg in the Hybrid! And I didn't alter my driving style a bit!

Even weirder was the day, driving home from work, outside temperature in the 30s, ACC set to 74mph, and for once being able to actually drive comfortably at that chosen speed (instead of being stuck behind a left-lane bandit, which along with the close cousin, the dolt with the inability to merge into freeway traffic at the prevailing speed, take ass-hattery to new heights, and for which ACC deserves some credit for preservation of what remaining sanity I possess)!

It seemed to get quiet all at once, so I looked at the IP, and my jaw hit my lap! The damn car was in full-on EV mode! At almost 75mph, unimpeded! In winter! With the inside temperature set comfortably. (No bun-warmers--I presume the ICE runs all the time when those are in-use.) And remained in that mode for a good couple miles, until I disengaged ACC to exit the freeway; I figured I'd be lucky to see EV mode at all given the outside temperatures, much less above 40mph for any length of time!

The week with that car convinced me that a Hybrid would definitely go on my list to consider if Honda decided to kill the J35 (and have a reasonable chance of keeping me as an almost quarter-century customer); hell, one of my major hang ups has been addressed by the news that Honda is keeping the split-fold seats in that vehicle! So if the K20 turns out to be a laggy dog's breakfast, I'll be scrutinizing that Hybrid!

It'd be even better if they addressed three other quibbles of mine:

1. At cold startup, drop the ICE RPMs a little when putting the car into gear. I couldn't get used to that over my time with the car, though I'm sure I'd learn to ignore it. (I wonder if the Hybrid will have the buttons or a "normal" selector? Too lazy to look up the MDX Hybrid SH-AWD, whatever, to see how that's configured!) Of course, the WEIRDER thing was the couple of times I powered-up the car with a warm powertrain in my garage, and the car went into EV mode immediately; one time, I managed to get into the street and started accelerating before the ICE kicked-in!

2. Same with the part of the powertrain which literally emits a "mooing" from the inside of the car during cold operation. (Car and Driver even called Honda out on that during their "10Best" thing this last time around!)

3. When dropping the hammer, especially in Sport mode, the ICE winds up to a power peak, and screams, just like on a conventional CVT! If that behavior could be tweaked to NOT have the engine sounding like it's bouncing off a limiter, it'd be icing on the cake!

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-09-2017 07:41
I'm not looking forward to the mooing sound this winter.

I think I'll use remote start to warm the car each winter morning. Maybe I can drive in EV mode after that.

I drove over 200 miles yesterday and averaged 45 mpg going 65 mph one way and 70 mph on the way back. I drove with smooth acceleration for my passengers benefit and they thought the car was quiet and smooth.

I saw EV mode occasionally up until around 67 mph. Usually on gentle down slopes of the Flint Hills.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-09-2017 07:47
(2) OK, I'll start using "B" just for braking when exiting the highway. Not around town.

(3) I think the Sienna only has Drive and a "+ and -" shifter. We did downshift, but the van was packed to the gills and the rotors were already warped from a friend who borrowed van for her family road trip.

Foxy_Grandma
Profile for Foxy_Grandma
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2017 09:28
Sounds like everyone has given you some great tips. I've had my '17 Hybrid Touring since September 2016 and continue to enjoy the car. I routinely get around 580-600 miles on a tank of gas and that's with ~90% highway driving at speeds over 70. I top off my gas as full as I can get it and normally put in around 16 gallons at fill up. Still not close to the EPA-rated mileage numbers, but still great. Around town I easily average 50MPG or so. I've also shelved the stock wheels/tires and have been using a set of 19" wheels and tires from the non-hybrid Touring model since new which has had a slight impact on my mileage.

Overall, the only other tips I can give you are to stay extra light on the brake pedal while maximizing use of the B mode. This will minimize the use of the mechanical brakes as much as possible. I've got >35K miles on mine and the brake pads have almost no wear. Also pay close attention to your tire pressures. I've actually seen a decrease in mileage when my tires were underinflated by just a couple of psi. The various components of this vehicle are quite well integrated and changes in one area seem to have a big impact on others which is reflected in your mileage.

Good luck!

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2017 06:59
Thank you.

I've been using B mode to decelerate from freeways and to stop signs. I use B mode when the vehicle has the charge to stay in EV mode, but switch back to D when I'm cruising with the engine on and low battery.

It'll be interesting to see how long my brake pads last.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2017 08:13
I started my car cold yesterday and the engine, maybe engine and radiator, was really growly at slow speed. Seemed odd and wonder if that is what I can expect in winter when it's actually cold outside.

In winter, if I warm the car with remote start, how will a warmed-up engine be different than a cold engine and driving right away in winter temperatures?

In other news, I got over 50 mpg in highway driving, but had to drive near 65 mph. I also saw EV mode come on up to 73 mph, but that was on down slopes. Seems the engine runs on flat land over 70 mph. Below that I saw EV mode come on more often.

I used TonyEX's tip and used the battery via EV mode every time the battery had enough charge.

Foxy_Grandma
Profile for Foxy_Grandma
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2017 09:00
So I drove mine through the past (and fairly mild) Ohio winter. I normally leave around 6AM for work and on some days I'll use my remote start to warm things up for 5 minutes or so before leaving and on other days I just jump in and go. From an internal combustion engine standpoint, I didn't notice much if any difference in how it ran or any change in engine nvh. There is logic built in to prevent the car from entering EV mode until the engine is sufficiently warmed up which for me sometimes prevented me from seeing EV mode until I was on the highway heading to work. On warmer days or when I had time to remote start it for a while, I would see EV mode come on before leaving my neighborhood. The biggest difference was just the battery performance in cold weather. My car has shown significantly better mileage and battery performance once the weather warmed up this spring. This is typical of li-ion batteries that need to be warm to perform up to spec. As a side note, our Tesla had a ~40% decrease in range over the winter due to the cold temps, so I was happy to see my Accord perform without that extreme of a performance drop in the cold weather.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2017 18:33
JimmyEats wrote:
(2) OK, I'll start using "B" just for braking when exiting the highway. Not around town.

(3) I think the Sienna only has Drive and a "+ and -" shifter. We did downshift, but the van was packed to the gills and the rotors were already warped from a friend who borrowed van for her family road trip.

Always use B mode when you slow down. Grab as much regen as you can.

Yeah, I have seen EV mode going up to 70 mph. It all depends on how much power is needed to maintain speed. At 60 mph, I have gone EV mode for miles and miles on a flat freeway.

Naturally, once the ICE hooks up to the wheels, the option of EV mode is not available.

These cars are really extremely smooth operators. The '18 iMMD has a rear seat that opens down. Wouldn't it be funny if we had an '18 iMMD Touring and the '17 Clarity FC at the same time? ( Plus a Ridgeline, of course).

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2017 18:39
Foxy_Grandma wrote:
Sounds like everyone has given you some great tips. I've had my '17 Hybrid Touring since September 2016 and continue to enjoy the car. I routinely get around 580-600 miles on a tank of gas and that's with ~90% highway driving at speeds over 70. I top off my gas as full as I can get it and normally put in around 16 gallons at fill up. Still not close to the EPA-rated mileage numbers, but still great. Around town I easily average 50MPG or so. I've also shelved the stock wheels/tires and have been using a set of 19" wheels and tires from the non-hybrid Touring model since new which has had a slight impact on my mileage.

Overall, the only other tips I can give you are to stay extra light on the brake pedal while maximizing use of the B mode. This will minimize the use of the mechanical brakes as much as possible. I've got >35K miles on mine and the brake pads have almost no wear. Also pay close attention to your tire pressures. I've actually seen a decrease in mileage when my tires were underinflated by just a couple of psi. The various components of this vehicle are quite well integrated and changes in one area seem to have a big impact on others which is reflected in your mileage.

Good luck!

Excellent... yes this car is tuned as a whole.

A few years ago I found myself driving on a freeway into a constant 35 mph wind. I was on CC at 70.

The mileage for that stretch was 24 mpg!

I've also notice a decrease of as much as 10% mileage in the rain.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2017 08:50
What tires have you all had success with?
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2017 16:45
JimmyEats wrote:
What tires have you all had success with?

In the Accords, OEM.

In the 06 HCH we've been running Ecopia 422s.

Off hand, I don't recall the tires in the FC, but they're also LRR.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2018 07:24
What's the best way to accelerate onto the freeway to maximize mpg's and minimize annoyance to other drivers? Eco and Sport Modes useful? Sometimes I hammer it and get to speed quick, other times I try to get to freeway speed in EV mode, but then the battery is depeleted.

When I take off Eco mode, it seems the engine is freed to use more power. Would taking off Eco and using Sport Mode improve acceleration time onto a freeway and lessen the amount of gas used?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2018 15:59
JimmyEats wrote:
What's the best way to accelerate onto the freeway to maximize mpg's and minimize annoyance to other drivers? Eco and Sport Modes useful? Sometimes I hammer it and get to speed quick, other times I try to get to freeway speed in EV mode, but then the battery is depeleted.

When I take off Eco mode, it seems the engine is freed to use more power. Would taking off Eco and using Sport Mode improve acceleration time onto a freeway and lessen the amount of gas used?

You worry too much about efficiency... most likely at the worst time.

When merging onto a Freeway, my primary concern is to MERGE SAFELY.

So what I do is simple... PUNCH IT. ALL THE WAY DOWN. PEDAL TO THE METAL. WOT. Etc, etc...

If there's traffic, take if off sport mode. Come up to speed, choose a lane, put it back in ECO and then drive.

Don't worry about using up battery power, that's what its for, let her charge once you achieve cruise mode.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: 2017 Accord Hybrid tips and surprises    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 17:09
Good tips. Thank you. I agree, it's much more enjoyable to use the full acceleration onto the freeways, than to try to use the battery in EV. Where I'm living now in KS, there's no traffic, so MPG at 80 mph isn't so great. Still 38 mpg, but not 48+. I'd have had 100+ mpg going to Disneyland in the stop and go of LA traffic.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0