[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX pricing?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Fine Tradition of English Goalkeeping
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Important Message
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indy 500
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Harley's Demise
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Monaco
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura-when marketing went adrift
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda S660 Modulo X
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mobileye claims their system detected the pedestrian, even with the crappy Uber video as input
Join Discussion......
Integra --> Re: 95 GSR DYNO
Join Discussion......
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Type R > > Re: What the UK Gets (Sensing???)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
garoto
Profile for garoto
What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2018 21:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The UK Gets:
Parking Sensors Front and Rear
- Blind Spot With Traffic Monitoring
- Wireless Charging (For US customers to install this one, a dealer will need to literally take apart the complete front interior of your car, who wants to let them do that?)

Minor things, but its obvious that the US will eventually get them.

Here's the thing about us in the US: They can easily fool us. They can release a new design and that alone will get us sold, so they can cheap out on a bunch of other things. In other markets they can't do that, in other markets, the consumer will show them the pain of greed with their wallets.

Honda, you are greedy! Greedy Honda.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2018 22:47

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2018 22:48
In UK Honda is struggling and in most market where Honda struggles, they will minimize their profit to add amenities to spice their portfolio. You guys in the States basically subsidized us in the market that Honda isn't covered with praise from the media and ginormous sales.

So thank you... To ease that pain :P

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 00:20
Don't forget, you guys are actually getting the CTR this time around!
garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 00:21
Midi_Amp wrote:
In UK Honda is struggling and in most market where Honda struggles, they will minimize their profit to add amenities to spice their portfolio. You guys in the States basically subsidized us in the market that Honda isn't covered with praise from the media and ginormous sales.

So thank you... To ease that pain :P

My point exactly. Your wallet votes, the company responds.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 00:38
sadlerau wrote:

They must be stealthy little buggers, since I have yet to see one in KC.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 01:55
superchg2 wrote:
sadlerau wrote:

They must be stealthy little buggers, since I have yet to see one in KC.

I just wish Honda had been a bit more "stealthy" with the bodywork!! :)

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 02:39
sadlerau wrote:

We better, we freaking fund it!

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 03:54
Just drive the sodding car and stop obsessing with these fripperies. My car has none of these things, and yet somehow I manage to struggle on.
garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 04:16
bigblue wrote:
Just drive the sodding car and stop obsessing with these fripperies. My car has none of these things, and yet somehow I manage to struggle on.

Obsessing? Wow, a little extreme wonít you think? I enjoy cars and reading and writing about them.

Somehow you think that me typing on the forum and sharing what Iíve learned about global differences in the car, and calling out Hondaís greed, means that Iím either not driving it, or donít enjoy driving it?

Regardless of what the global differences are, I bought it knowing what it was and wasnít equipped with. That doesnít mean sharing those tidbits is unnecessary.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 06:10
I like you sharing your thoughts on the car. I think the chap possibly is a bit like me and forgives the finer details and concentrates on the dynamics of the car.
None of us are the same and that is a good thing. He may have expressed his thoughts in rather a blunt way though !
With regards the spec and prices re the UK car comparison I think things have to be put into perspective. The fact is, as Sadlerau rightly pointed out, you are at least getting the Type R this time ! Also the car is being shipped and not produced locally so a slight down speccing is not uncommon nor unreasonable. The only issue I have is describing Honda as 'greedy'. They are a business !! They have a product that is selling well and is actually commanding a premium. This is the norm for some high end manufacturers but not for Honda. But for them to maximise their profit is perfectly reasonable to me. The choice we have is to buy or not to buy I guess.
BUT !!!!!! Remember if you were to buy a. let's say a Acura TLX for a similar price how much would that car be worth in 3 years time or longer. The very desirability that commanded a premium also 'normally' gives the car residual values far far better than more run of the mill but similarly priced cars.
I have my CTR which will return me what I paid for it nearly a year down the line. You will no doubt lose more as you have bought new but as I said that will be more than compensated for by its greater percentage retained. So in effect Honda's greed is actually helping you in the long term.
I really hope you love your car as much as I love mine. You have chosen the best spec and colour, in my opinion, and that will help for future values too. I know you will cherish it like few others too !!

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 06:57
Just fed up of endless posts moaning about every little detail of every car Honda has ever produced (slight exageration).

Anyway, fine, you'd rather have these things than not, and they're available elsewhere. Does seem odd they were left out in a specific geography. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure you'll enjoy the ridiculous performance, and by all accounts superb drive.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 09:16
Isn't only the top spec that get all those anyway?? Never looked a the full specs because I'm not a Customer, but you pay top dollar for all of it in Yerp!
BG
Profile for BG
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 09:35
Ok, turn things around and US gets...

All things Acura, though we get NSX too and only certain countries.

Honda:-
Pilot
Ridgeline
Accord - All variants
Civic Coupe
Odyssey
Clarity - All variants

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 10:21
bigblue wrote:
Just fed up of endless posts moaning about every little detail of every car Honda has ever produced (slight exageration).

Anyway, fine, you'd rather have these things than not, and they're available elsewhere. Does seem odd they were left out in a specific geography. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure you'll enjoy the ridiculous performance, and by all accounts superb drive.

Iím loving the car. I hate the back seats and door panels trim, a lot. That cloth is going to get replaced with suede very very quickly. Iíll ship the cloth back to Honda with some Dawn Dish soap for free.

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 13:06
Does the typical Type R owner want any of this stuff? These sorts of nannies are usually the antithesis of sports car owners, even more so for a 'proper' Type R which historically NEVER had stuff like this. Maybe the 50+ crowd whose simply buying these out of loyalty/nostalgia, but the younger crowd I expect to be beating these cars up at local tracks (not daily driving them exclusively), could probably car less if they have parking sensors or blind sport monitoring.

I too am growing tired of all complaining. Honda hits a home-run with this car and folks still complain. And then the irrational complaints about how GREEDY Honda is, when in reality, we get the best deals in the world on cars. The equivalent UK Grand Touring CTR which has the features you quoted goes for approx. $11,750 MORE than the US model for just those three piddly items.

My take is no matter how good or great the product is, there will ALWAYS be someone whose not satisfied.

UK GT CTR price $46,750 (£33,525)
US CTR price $34,990

garoto628 wrote:
The UK Gets:
- Wireless Charging (For US customers to install this one, a dealer will need to literally take apart the complete front interior of your car, who wants to let them do that?)

Here's the thing about us in the US: They can easily fool us. They can release a new design and that alone will get us sold, so they can cheap out on a bunch of other things. In other markets they can't do that, in other markets, the consumer will show them the pain of greed with their wallets.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 13:10
garoto628 wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Iím loving the car. I hate the back seats and door panels trim, a lot. That cloth is going to get replaced with suede very very quickly. Iíll ship the cloth back to Honda with some Dawn Dish soap for free.

When considering all of the necessary performance upgrades that go into creating a 169 m.p.h. capable Civic, the $34,775 price kind of makes sense, and without much left over for interior upgrades.
:)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 13:45
superchg2 wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
bigblue wrote:

When considering all of the necessary performance upgrades that go into creating a 169 m.p.h. capable Civic, the $34,775 price kind of makes sense, and without much left over for interior upgrades.

Surely we could've had that stuff for an MSRP of $40k or more. But then dealers would've tacked on even more and then we'd be whining and complaining about $50000 Civics.

I think we may have the best pricing of the Civic Type R of any market that I've seen so I'm not disappointed in the least. Very few of those extras even appeal to me. To get the performance that we can in a Type R package for $35k is pretty amazing to me, in fact.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 14:23
I would like heated mirrors and Lanewatch on mine while we are at it.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 14:40
DCR wrote:
I would like heated mirrors and Lanewatch on mine while we are at it.

I'm one who thinks heated mirrors should always be standard for safety purposes, and come on, how much can they actually add to the bottom line cost?? I'm 100% all in on lanewatch but I'd like to see Honda develop a better integrated design than that droopy wart on the bottom of the passenger mirror.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 20:15
JeffX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Surely we could've had that stuff for an MSRP of $40k or more. But then dealers would've tacked on even more and then we'd be whining and complaining about $50000 Civics.

I think we may have the best pricing of the Civic Type R of any market that I've seen so I'm not disappointed in the least. Very few of those extras even appeal to me. To get the performance that we can in a Type R package for $35k is pretty amazing to me, in fact.

Sorry Jeff, but I think Canada has better pricing than the US for the CTR ;)

It's CAD$41090, which works out to just below USD$32k.

And we get heated side mirrors, lane watch, and standard wireless charger....lol!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 20:26
Hondarulez wrote:
JeffX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Sorry Jeff, but I think Canada has better pricing than the US for the CTR ;)

It's CAD$41090, which works out to just below USD$32k.

And we get heated side mirrors, lane watch, and standard wireless charger....lol!

it's funny how exchange rates work like that

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: What the UK Gets    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 21:32
typer_801 wrote:
Does the typical Type R owner want any of this stuff? These sorts of nannies are usually the antithesis of sports car owners, even more so for a 'proper' Type R which historically NEVER had stuff like this. Maybe the 50+ crowd whose simply buying these out of loyalty/nostalgia, but the younger crowd I expect to be beating these cars up at local tracks (not daily driving them exclusively), could probably car less if they have parking sensors or blind sport monitoring.

I too am growing tired of all complaining. Honda hits a home-run with this car and folks still complain. And then the irrational complaints about how GREEDY Honda is, when in reality, we get the best deals in the world on cars. The equivalent UK Grand Touring CTR which has the features you quoted goes for approx. $11,750 MORE than the US model for just those three piddly items.

My take is no matter how good or great the product is, there will ALWAYS be someone whose not satisfied.

UK GT CTR price $46,750 (£33,525)
US CTR price $34,990

garoto628 wrote:
The UK Gets:

Iím not complaining. Im stating facts. I bought the car didnít I?
Complaining was me calling Honda Corporate about out of stock backordered parts on a new car, without an ETA. Thatís complaining.

I also complained about the lack of a spare tire because honestly I had no idea it didnít have one when I bought it. Wouldnít have changed my purchase.

But I havenít nor will I complain about the lack of these features. Itís a waste of time, they know what they did there.

Heated mirrors should be standard by regulation, thatís the only way to get carmakers to do sensible things these days.

I prefer blind spot monitoring over LaneWatch, but thatís just me.

$35k CTR in the US? Where? That shit does not exist here. There are no CTRs for $35k itís so rare, I comes through almost the entire country for one like that.

MSRP means nothing.

Also, CTRs are selling for $50k in Southern California. I suspect such practices are prohibited in the UK, so Honda itself marks it up for dealers benefit out of the gate.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: What the UK Gets (Sensing???)    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2018 11:43
I was looking over the Type R UKía instagram, and it looks like every CTR has the Honda Sensing camera.

So Honda really enjoys shafting Americans actually!

I canít say that I care about sensing, I prefer not having any automation in a race car, in fact, I think itís mere existence even if disabled disqualifies the car from some tracks or events, not sure where I read that.

Either way, I like how Honda equipped our CTR like a car from the 90s with year 2025 pricing.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: What the UK Gets (Sensing???)    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2018 11:48
garoto wrote:
I was looking over the Type R UKía instagram, and it looks like every CTR has the Honda Sensing camera.

So Honda really enjoys shafting Americans actually!

I canít say that I care about sensing, I prefer not having any automation in a race car, in fact, I think itís mere existence even if disabled disqualifies the car from some tracks or events, not sure where I read that.

Either way, I like how Honda equipped our CTR like a car from the 90s with year 2025 pricing.

Yep, I just confirmed it in their site. Everything Honda Senaing is in the UKís CTR including ACC.

Honda had it easy with us: itís the forbidden fruit, weíll pay. But they still have the guts to call it ďTouringĒ. If this is not ďBaseĒ then I donít know what is.

For everyone waiting for a CTR, if you care about those features, wait it out.

The only thing that actually does piss me off is not having. Kind spot monitoring and the front / rear parking sensors. Shit, Iíd be happy with blind spot monitoring alone.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0