[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX pricing?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Fine Tradition of English Goalkeeping
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Important Message
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indy 500
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Harley's Demise
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Monaco
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura-when marketing went adrift
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda S660 Modulo X
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mobileye claims their system detected the pedestrian, even with the crappy Uber video as input
Join Discussion......
Integra --> Re: 95 GSR DYNO
Join Discussion......
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 14:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://jalopnik.com/cadillac-proved-that-brand-means-nothing-if-you-can-t-b-1825388345

_I agreed with most of this article and thought the conclusions were accurate - at Cadillac the product just wasn't ever good enough for the price. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: Item and Price drive everything. Brand/image/marketing...yeah OK that stuff helps - but at heart a brand has to deliver the product...and that means getting the item right and the price right. Cadillac just hasn't been able to do that consistently despite all the talk of brand and image and New York and whatever else they talk about.

Another example of how mis-managed the brand has been is how long it's taking them to switch over to the new nomenclature. The CT6 debuted for MY2016 and the only other vehicle on sale today with the new scheme is the XT5. The sedan lineup is: ATS, CTS, XTS, CT6. It's embarrassing ESPECIALLY with how much they've focused on branding.

A lot of people think that Acura needs an outsider to come in and show Acura how things are done. Clearly that didn't work for Cadillac and de Nysschen.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 14:51
http://www.autonews.com/article/20180419/OEM/180419730/cadillac-chief-johan-de-nysschen?AID=/20180419/OEM/180419730

Two sides to every story. GM execs stated he was not moving fast enough, and he wanted a well executed product. Whats sad in the coming years will be products developed under him and he will not be around to get the glory.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 18:43
It was my impression that De Nysschen did Infiniti no favors, and he certainly hasn't done Cadillac any either.

He seems to largely favor:

1. Moving HQs to some new, hip place (Hong Kong for Infiniti, New York for Caddy)
2. Changing model nomenclature (Q's, Q's everywhere at Infiniti, AA# for Caddy)
3. Downsizing engine lineups (got rid of V8 development at Infiniti, put the 2.0T in everything Caddy makes).

Yeah, maybe he didn't get the decision making authority he needed (who really knows), but he followed the same template twice at 2 wildly different brands with the same results. Not a fan.

SC

p.s. saw an interview with him right after he joined Caddy. He said he didn't even own a car, but was looking into buying a classic Cadillac roadster....not a guy I want running my car company.

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 20:43
notyper wrote:
It was my impression that De Nysschen did Infiniti no favors, and he certainly hasn't done Cadillac any either.

1. Moving HQs to some new, hip place (Hong Kong for Infiniti, New York for Caddy)
3. Downsizing engine lineups (got rid of V8 development at Infiniti, put the 2.0T in everything Caddy makes).

Yeah, maybe he didn't get the decision making authority he needed (who really knows), but he followed the same template twice at 2 wildly different brands with the same results. Not a fan.

SC

p.s. saw an interview with him right after he joined Caddy. He said he didn't even own a car, but was looking into buying a classic Cadillac roadster....not a guy I want running my car company.

Wow! How the hell did he get hired at these companies in the first place?

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2018 22:28
THX17201 wrote:

Wow! How the hell did he get hired at these companies in the first place?

Because most boards are focused on making money, rather than seeing that as a car manufacturer your focus should be on making good product, which should lead to making money?

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 00:05
Fitdad wrote:
https://jalopnik.com/cadillac-proved-that-brand-means-nothing-if-you-can-t-b-1825388345

_I agreed with most of this article and thought the conclusions were accurate - at Cadillac the product just wasn't ever good enough for the price. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: Item and Price drive everything. Brand/image/marketing...yeah OK that stuff helps - but at heart a brand has to deliver the product...and that means getting the item right and the price right. Cadillac just hasn't been able to do that consistently despite all the talk of brand and image and New York and whatever else they talk about.

Another example of how mis-managed the brand has been is how long it's taking them to switch over to the new nomenclature. The CT6 debuted for MY2016 and the only other vehicle on sale today with the new scheme is the XT5. The sedan lineup is: ATS, CTS, XTS, CT6. It's embarrassing ESPECIALLY with how much they've focused on branding.

A lot of people think that Acura needs an outsider to come in and show Acura how things are done. Clearly that didn't work for Cadillac and de Nysschen.

No offense, but compared to where Cadillac was around 2001, they have improved by leaps and bounds. They now have fully competitive powertrains in ALL categories (the new TT V8 pretty much completed the lineup), they have class leading chassis dynamics, unique and quite attractive styling, and VASTLY improved platforms, proportions, etc.

Their two biggest problems which NO auto industry exec can move them beyond instantly are their reputation for delivering cheap GM quality for decades (but charging more for the same part), and the fact that their median buyer age prior to this whole "turnaround thing" was in the mid to high 70's. Basically, the average Caddy buyer was just short of dead.

The other aspect that has long crippled Cadillac was the fact that you could literally be buying your sweet new luxury car right next to a Cruze or Sonic buyer in a bro hat and hipster haircut.

That said, currently Acura has made progress in NONE of the areas that Cadillac has, though the next few years hold at least a glimmer of promise on the powertrain front. In fact, I would argue that you can watch Cadillac's path closely to observe some of the issues Acura will have now that they have been decreasingly relevant for about 20 years now. Much like Cadillac, Acura has been relatively irrelevant for longer than they were relevant.

P.S. The other thing that has hurt Cadillac in this sphere was their lack of interior execution and space. Those are HUGE areas where buyers put priorities and it is an area where Cadillac admittedly didn't deliver well (again, a lesson Acura needs to heed).

As for de Nysschen, we won't really know the results of his work for another couple of years, just like when a Honda executive green lights a program. So far, the new round of styling, execution, powertrains, etc show a lot of promise. I would easily consider a Caddy before an Acura and I am a Honda guy and hate GM overall. They only have a couple of areas I would like to see improved before I would give them serious consideration.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 08:25
She continued:

“I don’t buy products, I buy brands. I don’t use Apple computers because they are the best computers, I use them because Apple is cool. We need to show drivers what the Cadillac lifestyle is all about.”

Dare greatly - Dirk Gently, more like. Or stairway scares Dan Dare, who's there...

That line about SoHo being "obnoxiously cool" was a good one, too.

Thanks for the read - made me laugh.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 08:41
owequitit wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

No offense, but compared to where Cadillac was around 2001, they have improved by leaps and bounds. They now have fully competitive powertrains in ALL categories (the new TT V8 pretty much completed the lineup), they have class leading chassis dynamics, unique and quite attractive styling, and VASTLY improved platforms, proportions, etc.

Their two biggest problems which NO auto industry exec can move them beyond instantly are their reputation for delivering cheap GM quality for decades (but charging more for the same part), and the fact that their median buyer age prior to this whole "turnaround thing" was in the mid to high 70's. Basically, the average Caddy buyer was just short of dead.

The other aspect that has long crippled Cadillac was the fact that you could literally be buying your sweet new luxury car right next to a Cruze or Sonic buyer in a bro hat and hipster haircut.

That said, currently Acura has made progress in NONE of the areas that Cadillac has, though the next few years hold at least a glimmer of promise on the powertrain front. In fact, I would argue that you can watch Cadillac's path closely to observe some of the issues Acura will have now that they have been decreasingly relevant for about 20 years now. Much like Cadillac, Acura has been relatively irrelevant for longer than they were relevant.

P.S. The other thing that has hurt Cadillac in this sphere was their lack of interior execution and space. Those are HUGE areas where buyers put priorities and it is an area where Cadillac admittedly didn't deliver well (again, a lesson Acura needs to heed).

As for de Nysschen, we won't really know the results of his work for another couple of years, just like when a Honda executive green lights a program. So far, the new round of styling, execution, powertrains, etc show a lot of promise. I would easily consider a Caddy before an Acura and I am a Honda guy and hate GM overall. They only have a couple of areas I would like to see improved before I would give them serious consideration.

So there we were, leaving the parking lot of a nice restaurant in a small city, having had a reunion with folks dating back to elementary school. Everyone else made sure they got in their cars as fast so they could to parade by and show us how well they’d done. All Cadillacs. An XTS, DTS, CT6 and one other. Seriously? You buy a Cadillac just to look good? We had a grand, satisfied chuckle as we drove away in our lowly RDX, which, aside from the lack of a prestige name and glitz, was better in most every way. If we wanted to show off how well we’ve done it sure wouldn’t be in a Cadillac.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 11:17
CanTeX wrote:

So there we were, leaving the parking lot of a nice restaurant in a small city, having had a reunion with folks dating back to elementary school. Everyone else made sure they got in their cars as fast so they could to parade by and show us how well they’d done. All Cadillacs. An XTS, DTS, CT6 and one other. Seriously? You buy a Cadillac just to look good? We had a grand, satisfied chuckle as we drove away in our lowly RDX, which, aside from the lack of a prestige name and glitz, was better in most every way. If we wanted to show off how well we’ve done it sure wouldn’t be in a Cadillac.

To be fair, the XTS did a pretty good job of eating the RLX's lunch on the sales floor (similar price, size, etc.) and it gave you the option of the V-sport with the 3.6TT which not even the RLX hybrid could match. I didn't care for the styling myself, but then again, I thought the RLX looked bad too.

The CT6, OTOH, is a pretty darn good car all around. It's not sporty enough for my tastes, but it does come across as more sporty chassis wise than most of its competition (which might be a mistake in that class TBH). If you ever get a chance to drive one, try it out. Caddy still has some misses on interior integration, but its a really good car.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 13:16
notyper wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

To be fair, the XTS did a pretty good job of eating the RLX's lunch on the sales floor (similar price, size, etc.) and it gave you the option of the V-sport with the 3.6TT which not even the RLX hybrid could match. I didn't care for the styling myself, but then again, I thought the RLX looked bad too.

The CT6, OTOH, is a pretty darn good car all around. It's not sporty enough for my tastes, but it does come across as more sporty chassis wise than most of its competition (which might be a mistake in that class TBH). If you ever get a chance to drive one, try it out. Caddy still has some misses on interior integration, but its a really good car.

Yes there might be some very good Cadillacs out there but they all come with the baggage of all that glitz. No matter how good the car would be for my personal use I’d still have a hard time getting past the impress-the-neighbors appearance. If I wanted to impress the neighbors it would be with a German or Japanese car. (Check back in a few years when the XT4 comes out - maybe my tune might have changed.)

Follow-up on that reunion: It was kinda like a guy putting on a toupee and renting an Escalade for his 25th high school reunion. I was the guy who “escaped” to the U.S. so I must be rich and those who stayed behind in Canada just had to show how they had “made it” too. If they only knew...

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 18:24
notyper wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

TBF XTS is mostly fleet sales, I barely see any that don't have livery plates or hertz specials. but the RLX is not a very high bar nonetheless.

on a side note, Q50 the same on vacation in Florida and there was about 50 Q50 lined up waiting to be taken.

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2018 22:46
I disagree with #3, Cadillac just released a rockin 4.2L Twin-Turbo V8 with 550hp / 627 lb / ft of torque. Sure they don't get the LT-1 in the ATS-V (which is a crime), but this is a big step forward differentiating Cadillac from the rest of GM.

notyper wrote:

SC

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2018 12:27
Mikeydred wrote:
notyper wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

TBF XTS is mostly fleet sales, I barely see any that don't have livery plates or hertz specials. but the RLX is not a very high bar nonetheless.

on a side note, Q50 the same on vacation in Florida and there was about 50 Q50 lined up waiting to be taken.

I had an XTS pick me up at the airport on one of my more recent trips. It was a pretty long haul - the ride took over 2.5 hours (thanks, bay area traffic :( I was not at all impressed with that car. It certainly didn't convey "Cadillac" to me.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2018 13:04
notyper wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you say but I don't know if XTS and RLX had the same buyers even though the XT6 did have a engine option the RLX should have had. The XT6 just felt more like a entry level car when I sat and drove it, not really refined, no real attention to detail, I think it was more of a ES350 competitor. Even though the RLX had fake wood and was disappointing it still felt much more significant then a XTS or ES, it was more refined, had more attention to detail, felt more like it was at least trying to be a flagship where the others felt more entry level.

CT6 is a good car, only major letdown is the interior which did not impress me at all, some of the wood trim was decent but the rest just seemed typical GM/Caddy cost cutting and lack of design, too much touch screen/touch button shit. Lincoln Navigators, even older ones blew the CT6 and any Caddy interior away, the Continental is much better then any Caddy interior and the Continental interior is not as nice as the new Navigator.

What is really embarrassing for Acura is the KIA K900 blows Acura's flagship out of the water in pretty much every way and the Genesis G90 is still even nicer then the K900 and does blow the RLX out of the water in every way.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 08:53
lexusgs wrote:
notyper wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you say but I don't know if XTS and RLX had the same buyers even though the XT6 did have a engine option the RLX should have had. The XT6 just felt more like a entry level car when I sat and drove it, not really refined, no real attention to detail, I think it was more of a ES350 competitor. Even though the RLX had fake wood and was disappointing it still felt much more significant then a XTS or ES, it was more refined, had more attention to detail, felt more like it was at least trying to be a flagship where the others felt more entry level.

CT6 is a good car, only major letdown is the interior which did not impress me at all, some of the wood trim was decent but the rest just seemed typical GM/Caddy cost cutting and lack of design, too much touch screen/touch button shit. Lincoln Navigators, even older ones blew the CT6 and any Caddy interior away, the Continental is much better then any Caddy interior and the Continental interior is not as nice as the new Navigator.

What is really embarrassing for Acura is the KIA K900 blows Acura's flagship out of the water in pretty much every way and the Genesis G90 is still even nicer then the K900 and does blow the RLX out of the water in every way.

I keep hearing that Hyundai/Kia engines and running gear are at least a generation behind. Truth? Well, that Hyundai Santa Fe Sport we rented for 18 days sure had plenty of crude spots even though it was quiet at highway speeds. Thoughts on the generation-behind mechanicals in the Genesis?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 09:08
CanTeX wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
notyper wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

I keep hearing that Hyundai/Kia engines and running gear are at least a generation behind. Truth? Well, that Hyundai Santa Fe Sport we rented for 18 days sure had plenty of crude spots even though it was quiet at highway speeds. Thoughts on the generation-behind mechanicals in the Genesis?

I drove a Genesis 5.0 a couple years ago and I thought that v8 was quite nice. I've never been impressed with their 4- or even 6-cylinder powertrains though.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 09:26
CanTeX wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
notyper wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

I keep hearing Hyundai/Kia and Acura in the same sentence.

jlin583
Profile for jlin583
Re: de Nysschen out at Cadillac    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2018 15:40
NealX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
notyper wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

I keep hearing Hyundai/Kia and Acura in the same sentence.

Then we've got nothing worry about.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0