[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: 2018 Acura NSX Review - The Best Everyday Supercar
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2019 Acura MDX A-Spec Variant Makes Surprise Debut at New York International Auto Show > > Re: Just read C/D's quick take on it

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Just read C/D's quick take on it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2018 16:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The VERY FIRST WORD in the article (other than "the") was...

Honda.

Then Acura.

In an article for an Acura.

The rest of the article goes on to talk about how Honda did this and Honda did that, and near the last few paragraphs they finally talk about the Acura details.

It's hard for me to fathom separating Honda and Acura, and since, well, forever, I can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

The part of me who wants Acura to compete head on with BMW and Mercedes thinks "separate them somehow, dammit!", but then part of me is okay with it. Why? Because of Audi. Audi also shares a ton of parts and support with VW...but they seem to "get it". Audis are different enough. I have trouble calling the A4 a tarted up GTI even though that is actually what it is. The ILX, though? Come on, that's a Civic. With ugly lipstick. Same goes with the "yeah, you're not kidding me, Accord" TLX. And hilariously enough, the Accord now looks way more expensive, and has better details than the TLX ever did. It's also more fun to drive. COME ON.

Bah, I'm eternally frustrated with Acura, and the new RDX does zilch-o to change my attitude about it.

Fortunately it's probably going to be a pretty fantastic vehicle, but it'll always just be an expensive CR-V in the back of my mind, and in the mind of most consumers.

That sucks.

TR
Profile for TR
Re: Just read C/D's quick take on it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2018 21:07
Honestly, I couldn't care less what other people think. I care what I think... I buy my car for myself and myself only. And no, MDX is still not where I'd like it to be but it's really close.
Brutus
Profile for Brutus
Re: Just read C/D's quick take on it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2018 15:02
Agree with last post. When the Acura TLX came out there is no way that was confused with an Accord, sorry but I lived with them both no contest. Driving both, living in both.

The MDX is no Pilot. Why do people care, Honda is good bones. If Acura produces a subpar car like the ILX nothing about Honda roots or no roots will change the fact it is a weak offering. I think people look at some of the German brands with rose colored glasses. I guarantee if the ILX was a BMW1 series, people would not be going bananas like it was created from some subpar parts bin. it is a cheaper bimmer oh my.

Honda does not equal crap. I like Acuras since it has Honda bones in it.

I only agree with when Acura creates vehicles and they use too much sharing things that are too visible or subpar. Audi does a very good job on their ergonomics where there is no confusion with VW.

I think the new engine in the RDX is a civic engine at the end of the day but those type r bones are special.

B

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Just read C/D's quick take on it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-31-2018 00:29
Brutus wrote:
Agree with last post. When the Acura TLX came out there is no way that was confused with an Accord, sorry but I lived with them both no contest. Driving both, living in both.

The MDX is no Pilot. Why do people care, Honda is good bones. If Acura produces a subpar car like the ILX nothing about Honda roots or no roots will change the fact it is a weak offering. I think people look at some of the German brands with rose colored glasses. I guarantee if the ILX was a BMW1 series, people would not be going bananas like it was created from some subpar parts bin. it is a cheaper bimmer oh my.

I only agree with when Acura creates vehicles and they use too much sharing things that are too visible or subpar. Audi does a very good job on their ergonomics where there is no confusion with VW.

I think the new engine in the RDX is a civic engine at the end of the day but those type r bones are special.

B

No rose colored glasses, simply a realistic recognition that by $40K Acura is starting to suck wind.

I have also dealt with both. Haven't thought an Acura was hugely better than its Honda base in a large number of years. Of course that is with direct perspective on Acura's supposed competition.

The supposition that anybody who doesn't buy an Acura does so because they care primarily about what other people think is pure total straw man. Of course, the same people claim that preach to gospel of Acura righteousness anytime they have an actual sales hit, rather than acknowledging that in both cases it may actually be the product.

TR
Profile for TR
Re: Just read C/D's quick take on it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-01-2018 20:27
owequitit wrote:

The supposition that anybody who doesn't buy an Acura does so because they care primarily about what other people think is pure total straw man.

From just 2 posts above...
but it'll always just be an expensive CR-V in the back of my mind, and in the mind of most consumers.

Clearly there are such people.
And again, I'm not saying that BMW/Audi = Acura. Of course not, Acura still needs to do some work but it's getting closer.

Brutus
Profile for Brutus
Re: Just read C/D's quick take on it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-01-2018 22:56
owequitit wrote:
Brutus wrote:

B

No rose colored glasses, simply a realistic recognition that by $40K Acura is starting to suck wind.

I have also dealt with both. Haven't thought an Acura was hugely better than its Honda base in a large number of years. Of course that is with direct perspective on Acura's supposed competition.

The supposition that anybody who doesn't buy an Acura does so because they care primarily about what other people think is pure total straw man. Of course, the same people claim that preach to gospel of Acura righteousness anytime they have an actual sales hit, rather than acknowledging that in both cases it may actually be the product.

Look I recall when I bought my TLX, I test drove a ton of things in its category and a bit beyond everything from Audi A4/A3 to Volvo V/S60 and between, I do not need to buy a Honda/Acura product. Say what you will but it was the best bang for your buck. Maybe not on the 6 cyl but the 4 cyl no doubt. Sure it was not the fastest or the most prestigious. It was good all around and was priced much better then most competitors. I was this close to getting an Audi A3 2.0T quattro, but the TLX missed the AWD, yet it was still fun to drive, a lot more room, less expensive and more comfortable.. and we will not even get into more reliable.

Sure as of today you might say the Accord has some great things, but things change quickly there is always something bigger/better/faster that comes a few years later.

I guess people just forget how much cars cost, this matters, Many Acuras offer a lot of money for what you get. ILX nope, RLX standard nope. But the MDX yes, the TLX 4 cyl yes, the RDX yes...

I also have lived with the cars from Honda and they all have been solid, have had other brands not one has been as reliable. I buy my cars, I own them for a long time.

If the TLX came SHAWD with 2.0T and DCT it would be just about perfect combo.

I think Acura as I read it now is on the right track, getting A-Spec, Type S, SHAWD everything, improved interior, improved exterior.

Whoever said the RDX was a glorified CRV is just being a hater. The CRV is really really good. If you are telling me you take the bones of the CRV and make it completely more kick ass in every way then why the hate.

B.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0