[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
General Talk --> Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: The glory days
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Toronto Motorsports Park - 10th Gen Civic Si Track day
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda/Acura Gossip
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Colton Herta Becomes Youngest Indycar Winner Ever
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Lamborghini Urus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Acura shake-up caused by logistics
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: JDM Odyssey Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Sonata
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Shy away from 05-10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Re: BEWARE OF HILLSIDE HONDA
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Author
  Post New Thread
urbanglowcam
Profile for urbanglowcam
2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 02:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
After seeing the unveiling of the 2019 RDX, isn't it time for the ILX as well? Both are Acura's babies for their respective segments and I recall the second gen RDX being introduced the same model year as the 2013 ILX.

I'm expecting something at New York in March.

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 10:20
urbanglowcam wrote:
After seeing the unveiling of the 2019 RDX, isn't it time for the ILX as well? Both are Acura's babies for their respective segments and I recall the second gen RDX being introduced the same model year as the 2013 ILX.

I was thinking the same considering they make both in the Marysville plant. They'll likely share the new underpinnings with the wheelbase stretched for the ILX to go head to head with the new baby MB A-Class sedan. The only thing is there haven't been any prototypes spotted anywhere and no one seems to know anything. Since the RDX was designed in CA, I'm sure they were working on something to replace the ILX.

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 12:23
urbanglowcam wrote:

Rumor has it that Acura is discountinuing the ILX. I honestly don't mind seeing it gone, it's a horrible car. The compact size luxury segment is dying so I see Acura adding the CDX instead of spending money on a new ILX

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 12:37
Rumor is the ILX is dead.(CDX replacing it?)
If it survives then the only place left to build it is the UK(Civic Hatch Plant) and that would lead to the comments Acura made that they wanted back the Integra(fastback).

ILX 4-Door Hatch? 1.5T 205hp 6MT and 8DCT?
ILX Type-S 2.0T 310hp 6-MT SH-AWD?

urbanglowcam
Profile for urbanglowcam
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 12:59
While I agree the ILX wasn't great, it was based on the 9th gen Civic which many weren't fond of. I think with the new platform, they can do a much better job with some of the amenities and styling that the RDX launched with.

It seems odd that they won't have some type of fresh sedan for years. The TLX and RLX just got their makeovers and likely won't see their all new variants for years. I understand the sedan market is dying but it's not Dead yet.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 14:35
It should be dropped and replaced with a proper 2.0T Integra... Talk about spurring a brand back to life.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 14:43
99SI wrote:
It should be dropped and replaced with a proper 2.0T Integra... Talk about spurring a brand back to life.

But would it really?

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 15:14
RolledaNsx wrote:
If it survives then the only place left to build it is the UK(Civic Hatch Plant) and that would lead to the comments Acura made that they wanted back the Integra(fastback).

This would be my absolute dream. Now I mentioned this before, when Acura first showed off their interior prototype, I didn't see an area for a stick shift because of the layout.

Now that we see a newer interior in more of a near production application I can see how a manual shifter could fit in where that whole automatic button/switch mess they have going on in the centre console is. Obviously this is in an SUV not a sedan or (pleeeeaassee) a hatch. But if the interior follows along similar lines I could see a manual being possible even if its unlikely. A boy can dream.

But the Type S returning is good news either way. Even though I can't drive automatic if thats all they offer I'm hoping people who can will have a great time.

AznSupastar
Profile for AznSupastar
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 15:29
RolledaNsx wrote:

noooooooooooo, i was hoping to the next ILX based off the already awesome 10th gen civic would be my next car.

but considering there are no test mules spotted on the road. makes me believe Acura will kill it. probably CDX since these stupid SUVs are selling like hot cakes and everyone and their mother is making subcompact SUV.

sad sad world we live in...

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 15:55
It should be dropped, it is a dud, TLX is low end enough.

Car below the TLX should be a Audi tt competitor but better.

jlin583
Profile for jlin583
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 16:10
AznSupastar wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

noooooooooooo, i was hoping to the next ILX based off the already awesome 10th gen civic would be my next car.

but considering there are no test mules spotted on the road. makes me believe Acura will kill it. probably CDX since these stupid SUVs are selling like hot cakes and everyone and their mother is making subcompact SUV.

A lot can change in 4 years but I do remember this article from C/D https://blog.caranddriver.com/a-new-acura-integra-just-wait-were-told/

Personally, I think there's at least a 50/50 chance we'll see an ILX fastback/Integra.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 16:58
lexusgs wrote:

Makes no sense. Even if Acura's TT - somehow better than the $44k+ Audi TT while being cheaper than the TLX - sold 5x as many units as the Audi TT, it would still be fewer units than the ILX dud. Hmm.

Seriously, Honda sold more CR-Zs in its 6th model year than Audi sold TTs last year. Tell me how successful you think the CR-Z is.

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 19:16
RolledaNsx wrote:

When did they announce they didn't have capacity at the Marysville plant where the current ILX is built? Any models meant for China will be built there, so what would be the reason to move it to the UK?

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 19:21
jlin583 wrote:
AznSupastar wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

A lot can change in 4 years but I do remember this article from C/D https://blog.caranddriver.com/a-new-acura-integra-just-wait-were-told/

Personally, I think there's at least a 50/50 chance we'll see an ILX fastback/Integra.

I remember this article and I couldn't help but notice in the presentation they actually showed pics of the Integra and RSX when talking about performance returning to Acura.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 22:55
Potenza wrote:
lexusgs wrote:

Makes no sense. Even if Acura's TT - somehow better than the $44k+ Audi TT while being cheaper than the TLX - sold 5x as many units as the Audi TT, it would still be fewer units than the ILX dud. Hmm.

Seriously, Honda sold more CR-Zs in its 6th model year than Audi sold TTs last year. Tell me how successful you think the CR-Z is.

The TT was a hit when it debuted, the first generation was very influential on car design and had the desire the Integra Type R once had, maybe more but it was priced too high and not reliable enough to gain huge sales, the other generations lost the magic of the design inside and out which resulted in sales and interest plummeting.

I think if Acura could capture the hype and desirability of the first gen Audi tt but with a lower price, better handling, and more reliable they would have a hit. It can't be just a standard sport hatch/coupe, it has to really look and feel premium and perform and be desirable and put Acura back on the map for younger and middle aged buyers/enthusiasts like the later Integra's did.

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2018 23:10
RolledaNsx wrote:

I really want the next ILX to be just what you described. I actually want a more powerful TSX with SHAWD replace my first gen. TSX.

The ILX was a clear failure but not because it was a car - but due to both the platform and especially the execution and cost cutting (Civic+). I'm well aware of the US's infatuation with SUVs but I think there's still a market for a sporty sedan/hatchback. There is a market so long as the car stirs the soul with styling and performance, carries 5 adults with relative fuel efficiency and adds AWD (and a hatch?) to alleviate some of the perceived SUV advantages.

I really hope if they kill the ILX it's in name only - they can bring back the TSX (name makes more sense now w/AWD to me) or Integra nameplate (seems less likely). Acura talked about focusing on AWD like Subaru so perhaps the entry level Acura car could be a 4/5 door ;hatch with wagon variant and then 3 door sport hatch (Integra) to compete with Subaru but with more looks, performance and luxury.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2018 08:40
What should be on the to-do list is developing two additional SUVs spun off the RDX that would deliver an MDX successor and a sub-RDX SUV (much better than making the entry SUV a Fit spinoff).

As well use the Civic Type R as the starting point for an affordable performance hatch (five- or three-door, if not both).

Later on replace the TLX with a new base sedan and spin that off into a flagship sedan to replace the RLX. Or vice versa.

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2018 09:35
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1114842_2020-mercedes-benz-cla-spy-shots#image=100640687

These are two of the reasons Acura can't abandon the segment. The A-class is expected to show up in as a 2019, followed in 2020 by a new CLA. The ILX that launched in 2012 was not what Acura should have introduced and they tried to correct it in 2015, but the cars reputation had been damaged too much.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2018 10:03
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-honda-cr-z-rendered-may-ditch-hybrid-for-new-turbo-news

I still say that this rumor has changed and the possible CR-Z redux is now the rebirth of the Integra.

The argument for remaining in the segments below the TLX/RDX is that the new Honda platform is quite clearly good enough to compete and deliver class-leading/quite competitive vehicles for Acura in those segments. And the margins have to be quite good (if they can get the item/price correct) using Honda platforms for Acura products.

And the Acura brand is now ready for an Integra: the Touchpad tech and software is ready, they've got the Accord 2.0T and 10AT combo sitting right there, they've mated it to SHAWD on the RDX, they've got a clear design direction, they've got a clear purpose to create sporty vehicles....

And Honda has shifted to making Type-R variants it seems - that was also reported recently. So some kind of CR-Z performance vehicle just doesn't make sense.

I also think the Insight being where it is makes an ILX sedan even harder to fit in. I think the TLX should be the entry sedan - with an Integra 3-door hatch "below" it.

Bottom line for me is that if Acura wants to get back to 200,000 cars sold in the US they'll need more than 5 mainstream nameplates. "Replace" the ILX with the CDX and it's still only 5 nameplates: TLX/RLX, CDX/RDX/MDX. They need more models to sell. A coupe/hatch is quite clearly a model they don't have AND the "sub-entry" segment can be viable if the product is executed properly.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2018 10:08
Archknight77 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

When did they announce they didn't have capacity at the Marysville plant where the current ILX is built? Any models meant for China will be built there, so what would be the reason to move it to the UK?

Massive plant under-utilisation at Swindon. Plus, the hatch architecture is there already. Might explain the absence of an Insight hatch from Swindon.

Another ILX sedan makes little sense, given the sedan market decline. A hatch (or dropping it entirely for a CUV) are both plausible.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2018 21:53
I know the sedan segment isn't in the best of health these days but considering the Germans have sedans in this segment and the fact that Acura is product limited at the moment, the more models...the better.

Now they have the proper platform architecture, the proper drivetrain configurations available, better materials, SH-AWD etc etc... I really think it could do well against the CLA and the A3. The investment wouldn't be significant as everything is already developed.

Another reason to keep this car is...I'm positive the base price of the TLX will be increased by quite a bit vs current pricing so that leaves a larger hole on the bottom end which could be filled by the next gen ILX and CDX.

As said before, the current ILX didn't do well because of its mediocre bones, its mediocre performance, its mediocre materials, its mediocre drivetrains and the fact that it way overpriced. All of those issues could be solved with the next gen.

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2018 23:44
Nick GravesX wrote:
Archknight77 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

Massive plant under-utilisation at Swindon. Plus, the hatch architecture is there already. Might explain the absence of an Insight hatch from Swindon.

Another ILX sedan makes little sense, given the sedan market decline. A hatch (or dropping it entirely for a CUV) are both plausible.

All but one of the Acura models is built in the US in Ohio, so Swindon has nothing to do with the brand. Sedans maybe in decline but the luxury segment is fairing well compared to the mainstream lineups, which is why several of those brands are leaving the market.

The part that people seem to be missing is that a revamped model like the ILX under this new strategy could do very well. Since the invest as Civicb12 pointed out is minimal but this model would actually be priced higher than some Accord trims. Secondly, with all we saw in the RDX being placed in the package, it can also steal sales from MB and AUDI, who don't offer even close to the packaging Acura does for the price point. The resources are already in place it's just left to execution. So many have begged the company for the return of an Integra type model, so with the return of the Type S branding, I wouldn't be surprised if it's already in the works. Many here are expressing the sane sentiment of a fastback/liftback model like the '94-2001 3 door and with the "4 door coupe" being the second craze of the automotive landscape, it maybe just what they hav e planned.

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2018 01:05
Another factor that would cut into the CDX being the next model offered stateside, is cutting the current model from the Chinese market which has only been on sale a little over a year. So the only way it would happen now is by getting the current one up to spec for sale here, requiring the additional investment and shipping it over. The other Acura models aren't due for redesign until 2020 and beyond, so the only logical move is the FMC of the ILX or an all new model.
Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2018 10:30
Crap it looks like the 2019 ILX is going to just get s MMC adopting the new grill etc.. Disappointing. A new ILX and CDX are critical to bringing in entry level clients into the Acura.
urbanglowcam
Profile for urbanglowcam
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2018 12:41
Calgarian wrote:
Crap it looks like the 2019 ILX is going to just get s MMC adopting the new grill etc.. Disappointing. A new ILX and CDX are critical to bringing in entry level clients into the Acura.

Who said? The ILX already went through the MMC in 2016. It's an old car. Time for it to either get a full revamp or get canned.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2018 13:10
Calgarian wrote:

Who told you this? Why would Acura do a second MMC on the ILX?

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2018 13:10
urbanglowcam wrote:
Calgarian wrote:

Who said? The ILX already went through the MMC in 2016. It's an old car. Time for it to either get a full revamp or get canned.

Otherwise it will be a nothing burger, just like the MMC RLX.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2018 13:18
Calgarian wrote:

The ILX is the worst car in Acura's lineup. It's underdelivered and overpriced and just didn't hit the mark at all. Another MMC would just keep the agony going. We should hear something soon.

urbanglowcam
Profile for urbanglowcam
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2018 16:16
Civicb18 wrote:
Calgarian wrote:

The ILX is the worst car in Acura's lineup. It's underdelivered and overpriced and just didn't hit the mark at all. Another MMC would just keep the agony going. We should hear something soon.

I feel like they would want to space it out with the RDX launch, so perhaps Chicago in February or New York Auto in March? LA would be way too late in the year.

Hopefully we get an answer in the next few months on their strategy.

just527
Profile for just527
Re: 2019 ILX - FMC?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2018 17:41
Calgarian wrote:

If they really do decide to go this route, they better update the interior and add the 1.5T. Just slapping on the new grille without any major updates would be a terrible decision.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0