[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
RLX --> Re: 2019 Acura RLX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: '08 Honda Leather
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Sets 3rd Straight Annual Sales Record with Best-Ever December > > Re: 1425 Clarity

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2018 15:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
With the plug-in only recently hitting all 50 states I was sort of surprised that this number was this high. Right now there are around 1 PHEV per Honda dealer nationwide and I'm not sure that every dealer has one. The FCEV is only in a few states.

Honda has said that they want to sell 75,000 Clarity over a four year period. Let's assume that they meant the next four years. 1425*12*4 = 68,400.

I thought that 75,000 number was wildly optimistic when I first heard it but...maybe they can get there. It takes a few months for a car to find it's sales level and December is usually a high volume month. I guess I'll say this: if January is over 1,000 units then Honda is going to have a real shot at getting to 75K.

I still think it's likely that they'll fall short of 75K but this is now somewhat interesting.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2018 15:42
I like the Clarity platform and would consider the plugin as a daily if I was in the market for one, but the range on the EV version is just ridiculous. They couldn't have extended the range to at least 150 miles?
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2018 16:31
HDNBenjamin wrote:
I like the Clarity platform and would consider the plugin as a daily if I was in the market for one, but the range on the EV version is just ridiculous. They couldn't have extended the range to at least 150 miles?

Seems like the EV is more of a marketing exercise than anything else. I'm pretty sure the PHEV is the only nationwide version right?

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2018 17:21
Is Honda going to report the 3 Clarity models with just a single sales number?

Our Clarity showed up on Dec 2nd, but not many have been delivered to dealers in southeast Michigan. Did west-coast dealers get boatloads of Clarity PHEVs to deliver to hordes of eager, knowledgeable buyers?

We let our dealer put it in the showroom for a week to see what kind of interest it generated. Not much--it's not an SUV/CUV. The interest was mainly in the Moonlit Forest Pearl paint--people wished they could get that color on other Hondas.

My wife and I really like it. We buy only Hondas and it's easily the most luxurious (and heaviest) of the 8 we've owned over the past 32 years.

Like the PHEV, the EV uses the space under the front and rear seats for the batteries. Then the 89-mile EV has more batteries taking up a significant portion of the trunk. So a 150-mile battery would have pretty much eliminated the trunk space while increasing the cost. This car fills a compliance niche; future all-electric Hondas will be better.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2018 22:04
Fitdad wrote:
HDNBenjamin wrote:

Seems like the EV is more of a marketing exercise than anything else. I'm pretty sure the PHEV is the only nationwide version right?

I think you are right.

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2018 22:55
Yes, the Clarity Fuel Cell is for California only (where the few H2 stations are), the Clarity Electric is for California and Oregon only (where it helps Honda satisfy CARB requirements for manufacturers), and the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid is for all 50 states and Canada (where Honda hopes only potential Volt and Prius Prime customers will see it and potential Accord buyers won't).

Unsurprisingly, the Canadian version has electric battery heaters not found in the US version. Inexplicably, only the Canadian version has a button to turn off the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System that makes a soft electric organ-like chord to alert pedestrians when the car is going speeds of 12 mph and below (the pedestrian ambush button?). Finally, the cup holder in the rear fold-down armrest includes a lid in the US Clarity Plug-In Hybrid but not in the Canadian version. What? Does Honda expect that Canadian passengers will always have cups in the cup holders?

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2018 01:13
Insightman wrote:

Our Clarity showed up on Dec 2nd, but not many have been delivered to dealers in southeast Michigan. Did west-coast dealers get boatloads of Clarity PHEVs to deliver to hordes of eager, knowledgeable buyers?

We let our dealer put it in the showroom for a week to see what kind of interest it generated. Not much--it's not an SUV/CUV. The interest was mainly in the Moonlit Forest Pearl paint--people wished they could get that color on other Hondas.

My wife and I really like it. We buy only Hondas and it's easily the most luxurious (and heaviest) of the 8 we've owned over the past 32 years.

Like the PHEV, the EV uses the space under the front and rear seats for the batteries. Then the 89-mile EV has more batteries taking up a significant portion of the trunk. So a 150-mile battery would have pretty much eliminated the trunk space while increasing the cost. This car fills a compliance niche; future all-electric Hondas will be better.

I like to exercise options and have wondered if I could make this work, if an 89 mile EV is considered. My commute is 22-26 miles one way depending on route, and I live in Michigan with no charging available at my company destination.

In Spring/Summer/Fall could it work? Traffic jams? Winter?

I just don't think I could ever trust it.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2018 10:16
DCR wrote:
Insightman wrote:

I like to exercise options and have wondered if I could make this work, if an 89 mile EV is considered. My commute is 22-26 miles one way depending on route, and I live in Michigan with no charging available at my company destination.

In Spring/Summer/Fall could it work? Traffic jams? Winter?

I just don't think I could ever trust it.

My wife drives 5 miles a day total to work and roughly 7500 miles a year. She would basically never go to a gas station with the PHEV and energy is pretty cheap in Missouri. The pure EV just doesn't have enough range to exist as a proper second vehicle - I sometimes take "her" vehicle on runs around town without our kiddos and the range anxiety would be real. We'd also like our second vehicle to be able to take road trips which makes an EV unattractive here in the Midwest either way.

Insightman I'll be interested to hear more about your ownership experience.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2018 14:46
Fitdad wrote:
HDNBenjamin wrote:

(1) Can we get the NOMENCLATURE RIGHT?

It's a BEV!!!!

BEV
PHEV
FCEV

They are ALL EVs... just like the iMMD Accord.

(2) Yes, the PHEV is nation wide. I'm not quite sure what it's range per tank (starting with an empty battery) is...

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2018 14:20
Fitdad wrote:

Well, since you asked, I've written way too much without really saying anything.

Here's another owner's experience: http://bit.ly/2Fpl4de

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2018 14:32
TonyEX wrote:
Yes, the PHEV is nation wide. I'm not quite sure what it's range per tank (starting with an empty battery) is...

At the EPA-rated 42 mpg, the 7-gallon tank should go 294 miles. However, I'm sure a skilled driver could do well over 300. Our Clarity believes we can go further--the gauges tell us so. Honda never told the gauges about the EPA.

The manual says to avoid emptying the gas tank, but I'm thinking that on long trips, one might choose to run in HV (Hybrid Vehicle) mode, which uses the engine to preserve the charge in the battery. Then, when the fuel warning light comes on, the battery would provide nearly 50 miles of insurance that you can get to the next gas station. A different definition of "range extender."

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2018 09:48
Insightman wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

Well, since you asked, I've written way too much without really saying anything.

Here's another owner's experience: http://bit.ly/2Fpl4de

Awesome! Thank you very much. I don't know if we'll end up in something like the Clarity - but the thought of my wife never having to get gas but still being able to road trip in it is certainly appealing.

TL_06
Profile for TL_06
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2018 11:28
Maybe there's no current Canadian equivalent of the FMVSS.

To reduce the risk of pedestrian crashes, especially for the blind and visually-impaired, and to satisfy the mandate in the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act (PSEA) of 2010 this final rule establishes a new Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) setting minimum sound requirements for hybrid and electric vehicles.

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2018 09:45
TL_06 wrote:
Maybe there's no current Canadian equivalent of the FMVSS.

To reduce the risk of pedestrian crashes, especially for the blind and visually-impaired, and to satisfy the mandate in the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act (PSEA) of 2010 this final rule establishes a new Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) setting minimum sound requirements for hybrid and electric vehicles.

I'm sure you're correct that Canada does not have the US' requirement for an EV to emit a sound at low speeds to warn pedestrians.

I think it's interesting that Honda also included its "Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System" in the Canadian Clarity Plug-In Hybrids, but added an OFF-button in those cars.

In my opinion, the volume of the electric organ-like chord is way too low and the sound is not threatening enough to serve as a useful warning. Honda should license the sound of a Star Wars Tie Fighter--that will get pedestrian's attention! I wonder if it can be reprogrammed?

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: 1425 Clarity [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2018 10:30
Fitdad wrote:
the thought of my wife never having to get gas but still being able to road trip in it is certainly appealing.

When I started driving an Insight in 2000, my trips to the gas station became rare events--usually just once a month. What a revelation it was to realize the freedom a 600-700 miles-per-tank car could provide!

Also, in cities where visits to the gas station can be dangerous, reducing the frequency of those visits can actually save lives.

Yesterday, with the temperature around 45 degrees, we drove about 35 miles in our Clarity--all in EV mode. As we pulled into the garage the gauge told us we had 7 miles of EV miles remaining in the battery. A few minutes ago when checking my phone, I saw a HondaLink app message from our Clarity telling me the battery was fully recharged.

As a new EV owner, this gas-free travel is like magic.

Being Insight-trained hypermilers, we put our Clarity in Econ Mode before leaving the dealership (unlike Sport Mode, Econ Mode stays in effect after you power down the car). Some day I'll force myself to accept some unnecessary gas usage and switch to Sport Mode just to see what difference it makes. But because the Clarity is quicker in EV Mode than either of our gen-1 and gen-2 daily-driver Insights, the Sport Mode button seems like a form of gas-burning excess.

This from such a fanatic that the only time I turn on my gen-1 Insights' A/C in the summer is on the annual dinner date to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I feel the extravagance is justified for this event. However, I won't hesitate to use the Clarity's electric A/C next summer--I don't see the checks my wife writes to the electric company.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0