[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
RLX --> Re: 2019 Acura RLX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: '08 Honda Leather
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Sets 3rd Straight Annual Sales Record with Best-Ever December > > Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment"

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author

DCR
Profile for DCR
"The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 11:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wait until you see the Camry numbers. Replace the "-" by the Accord with a "+".

I don't exactly see strength with the arrival of the V6 replacement 2.0 that should make up very little in overall sales, right?

CivicSi99
Profile for CivicSi99
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 11:33
DCR wrote:

I don't exactly see strength with the arrival of the V6 replacement 2.0 that should make up very little in overall sales, right?

From Toyota's press release: Camry posts best-ever December sales of 43,331 units; best-ever quarterly sales of 104,574 units

MASTERNC
Profile for MASTERNC
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 12:13
CivicSi99 wrote:
DCR wrote:

From Toyota's press release: Camry posts best-ever December sales of 43,331 units; best-ever quarterly sales of 104,574 units

But how many of those were to fleets? The Hertz airport lot I was at this past weekend had a handful of brand new Camry sedans, and that was just in the sections for the elite loyalty members (didn't look at the standard sections).

CivicSi99
Profile for CivicSi99
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 12:18
MASTERNC wrote:
CivicSi99 wrote:
DCR wrote:

But how many of those were to fleets? The Hertz airport lot I was at this past weekend had a handful of brand new Camry sedans, and that was just in the sections for the elite loyalty members (didn't look at the standard sections).

I wish we knew that number... However, I don't think they sold 20k units to fleet last month. A few years ago I saw the Camry sold 20k less units than the Accord overall excluding fleet in 2014 or 2015, I believe.

I don't think Honda will win the retail sales this year without the coupe and a controversial design but that's just my opinion.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 12:45
Best I could find so far had numbers through 10/17.

It appears the Camry averaged about 4700 a month in fleet if I'm reading this right:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/12/dont-gentle-rental-nissan-boosts-u-s-sales-numbers-flooding-americas-fleets/

vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 13:11
The brand spanking new 2018 Accord is already going for $3,000-$4,000 off MSRP. Honda is going to have to be (stay) very aggressive with the dealer cash and lease deals to keep Accord over 300,000 units this year.
Ralliance01
Profile for Ralliance01
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 13:28
Letís be honest- the new Accord may be missing itís demographic. Sporty? Yes. Latest tech? Yes. Fast for a family sedan? Yes. Latest safety tech? Yes (though BMS/BLIS should also be standard on all trims).

Are these the critical attributes that family sedan buyers are looking for right now? Of course they are. But letís list some of other critical attributes and ask if the Accord has them. AWD? No. Roomy front seats? No (driver knee room- donít underestimate its value to many Accord buyers especially those above a certain age). Fully adjustable passenger seat? No. Easy entry/exit (itís a low car remember)? No. Smooth and proven V6 option? No. Good visibility including rear visibility? No and worse than the previous model.

The months ahead will be fascinating to watch from a sales perspective. We certainly will see awesome incentives and lease deals. We could see early changes ahead of the MMR in the worst case scenario if this trend continues.

Last edited by NealX on 01-03-2018 15:21
Ralliance01
Profile for Ralliance01
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 13:34

Last edited by NealX on 01-03-2018 15:21
Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 13:46
Ralliance01 wrote:
Letís be honest- the new Accord may be missing itís demograohic. Sporty? Yes. Latest tech? Yes. Fast for a family sedan? Yes. Latest safety tech? Yes (though BMS/BLIS should also be standard on all trims).

Are these the critical attributes that family sedan buyers are looking for right now? Of course they are. But letís list some of other critical attributes and ask if the Accord has them. AWD? No. Roomy front seats? No (driver knee room- donít underestimate its value to many Accord buyers especially those above a certain age). Fully adjustable passenger seat? No. Easy entry/exit (itís a low car remember)? No. Smooth and proven V6 option? No. Good visibility including rear visibility? No and worse than the previous model.

The months ahead will be fascinating to watch from a sales perspective. We certainly will see awesome incentives and lease deals. We could see early changes ahead of the MMR in the worst case scenario if this trend continues.

I would add the lack of a hatch. Many people favour the practicality of a hatchback, which comes standard on SUVs.

The ride height is inciting people to move to SUVs. It is like some people in a stadium or theatre standing up and blocking the view of the people behind them. You can be polite and continue to sit down for a while, but eventually everybody will get up.

of course with so many people buying SUVs, the visibility benefit will go away and we'll end up with vehicles with compromised dynamics and efficiency. Basically everybody will be riding raised hatchbacks...

vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 13:48
Ralliance01 wrote:
Letís be honest- the new Accord may be missing itís demograohic. Sporty? Yes. Latest tech? Yes. Fast for a family sedan? Yes. Latest safety tech? Yes (though BMS/BLIS should also be standard on all trims).

AWD and V6 powertrains have absolutely NOTHING to do with 95+% of passenger car sales.

The top selling passenger cars are: Camry, Civic, Accord, Corolla, Altima, Elantra, Sentra, Fusion, Malibu, Focus Cruze, etc.

Virtually none of the units sold have AWD. Virtually none of the units sold have V6 engines. Those are simply not factors AT ALL when it comes to passenger cars sales in the U.S.

CivicSi99
Profile for CivicSi99
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 14:05
DCR wrote:
Best I could find so far had numbers through 10/17.

It appears the Camry averaged about 4700 a month in fleet if I'm reading this right:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/12/dont-gentle-rental-nissan-boosts-u-s-sales-numbers-flooding-americas-fleets/

Thanks. That lines up with this article from a few years ago.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140221/RETAIL01/140229981/hondas-accord-beat-camry-as-top-u.s.-car-in-individual-sales

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 14:10
vh2k wrote:
Ralliance01 wrote:

AWD and V6 powertrains have absolutely NOTHING to do with 95+% of passenger car sales.

The top selling passenger cars are: Camry, Civic, Accord, Corolla, Altima, Elantra, Sentra, Fusion, Malibu, Focus Cruze, etc.

Virtually none of the units sold have AWD. Virtually none of the units sold have V6 engines. Those are simply not factors AT ALL when it comes to passenger cars sales in the U.S.

That's exactly true, but per what Ralliance is saying, this is also a key reason why the CR-V is Honda's best seller now (along with all the other CUVs).

As far as the Accord goes, I'd say track sales over the next 2-3 months to see if it improves. A lot of it might be due to just volume, plus the ridiculous amount that Toyota is offering to clear out old and new Camrys.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 15:23
CarPhreakD wrote:
vh2k wrote:
Ralliance01 wrote:

That's exactly true, but per what Ralliance is saying, this is also a key reason why the CR-V is Honda's best seller now (along with all the other CUVs).

As far as the Accord goes, I'd say track sales over the next 2-3 months to see if it improves. A lot of it might be due to just volume, plus the ridiculous amount that Toyota is offering to clear out old and new Camrys.

The 2018 Camry came out of the gates at ridiculous discounts from day one. 0% interest. Crazy low monthly lease prices. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Jld94
Profile for Jld94
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 15:45
JeffX wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
vh2k wrote:
Ralliance01 wrote:

The 2018 Camry came out of the gates at ridiculous discounts from day one. 0% interest. Crazy low monthly lease prices. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

The amazing thing though is it seems to have dried up a little bit. Currently only $2-3K depending on trim. I was actually really surprised, and really surprised to hear Camry sold 43K??

madddog
Profile for madddog
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 17:46
"I don't think Honda will win the retail sales this year without the coupe and a controversial design but that's just my opinion. " The design is a mess. The first time I saw one in person, I thought it looked better than what I saw online. but I have seen it twice since then and now I actually think it looks worse in person. The front and rear look like 2 different cars and the design of the front is too dramatic for my taste. The stitching on the leather seats looks like some thing Buick would do or perhaps the Avalon. I am in the market for a new car but I don't think I will replace my 2006 Accord Coupe 6MT with the new Accord; sadly the car judging by reviews is excellent. BTW I live in a metro area of 1.4 million and I have yet to see a 2018 Accord on the street.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 18:05
I also have yet to see one in the wild.

But Iíve only seen a few new Camrys, as well.

CivicSi99
Profile for CivicSi99
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 18:07
madddog wrote:
"I don't think Honda will win the retail sales this year without the coupe and a controversial design but that's just my opinion. " The design is a mess. The first time I saw one in person, I thought it looked better than what I saw online. but I have seen it twice since then and now I actually think it looks worse in person. The front and rear look like 2 different cars and the design of the front is too dramatic for my taste. The stitching on the leather seats looks like some thing Buick would do or perhaps the Avalon. I am in the market for a new car but I don't think I will replace my 2006 Accord Coupe 6MT with the new Accord; sadly the car judging by reviews is excellent. BTW I live in a metro area of 1.4 million and I have yet to see a 2018 Accord on the street.

No offense to anyone that owns one but I agree. I think that's why sales are so low.

honda95
Profile for honda95
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 18:09
I have seen tons of the sport model on the road.

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 19:33
CivicSi99 wrote:
madddog wrote:

No offense to anyone that owns one but I agree. I think that's why sales are so low.

I also agree, styling will hold this car back. It does look better in person, but there is still too much wrong in this design. I predicted a while back that the Accord would get eaten alive by the Camry this generation. We could give it a few more months, but I'd be surprised if they ever hit 25k a month. Honda, if you're reading, this is my second warning. Start working on a heavy refresh ASAP.

CivicSi99
Profile for CivicSi99
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 19:47
according2kev wrote:
CivicSi99 wrote:
madddog wrote:

I also agree, styling will hold this car back. It does look better in person, but there is still too much wrong in this design. I predicted a while back that the Accord would get eaten alive by the Camry this generation. We could give it a few more months, but I'd be surprised if they ever hit 25k a month. Honda, if you're reading, this is my second warning. Start working on a heavy refresh ASAP.

We will find out at the Detroit reveal but apparently the 19 Avalon will get AA/AC. If that's true and it's an update to the latest Entune system that's another thing that would help Toyota. It seems their infotainment is terrible..

vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 20:04
Toyota infotainment is a huge negative. Also, the interior materials on lower trims accounting for 80% of volume (LE/SE) is pretty much worst in class.
NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 20:40
It's almost like this happens with every release... oh wait...

It's deja-vu all over again, this time during fleet season

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 21:50
JeffX wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
vh2k wrote:
Ralliance01 wrote:

And Honda came out of the gate with just the opposite response. Dealers were holding on to these things like they were NSX's.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 21:52
A buddy of mine recently bought a 2018 Camry. Prior to that decision, I convinced him to drive the 2018 Accord, and the Accord delivered. To him, the Accord was the better car. It had more features and drives sportier, but ultimately it came down to price. He saved a few Gs going with the Camry. Folks shopping in this segment is more value oriented than of luxury buyers. I love the new Accord! :)
cruiserchuck
Profile for cruiserchuck
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 22:41
Jld94 wrote:
JeffX wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
vh2k wrote:
Ralliance01 wrote:

The amazing thing though is it seems to have dried up a little bit. Currently only $2-3K depending on trim. I was actually really surprised, and really surprised to hear Camry sold 43K??

Here in Southern California, there were cash rebates offered shortly after the new Camry was released. However, there were no rebates offered at all here in December on the Camry. However, there were low cost leases advertised.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 01:08
DCR wrote:

To be fair, there are barely any 2.0Ts available, so that may also be a factor as this is the first time I can think of that Honda didn't debut the big engines with the small ones.

Further, I can't decide if styling will be an issue or not. It looks better in person, but IMO doesn't look as good as the last gen in details. The overall shape is pretty good, but the details. Always with Honda messing up the fussy little details...

But then, I go back and forth because every time I think of the Accord's fussy details, I see a Camry and the Accord looks like a hot chick in comparison.

I'm going to wait a couple of months to see how it does.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 04:21
owequitit wrote:
DCR wrote:

To be fair, there are barely any 2.0Ts available, so that may also be a factor as this is the first time I can think of that Honda didn't debut the big engines with the small ones.

Further, I can't decide if styling will be an issue or not. It looks better in person, but IMO doesn't look as good as the last gen in details. The overall shape is pretty good, but the details. Always with Honda messing up the fussy little details...

But then, I go back and forth because every time I think of the Accord's fussy details, I see a Camry and the Accord looks like a hot chick in comparison.

I'm going to wait a couple of months to see how it does.

This is true. When I went to Honda a few weeks ago, they had just received their first 2.0t Sport. The only other Accords they had were a 1.5t EX, 2.5t EX-L and a 1.5t Touringand this was the 2nd week in December. If the dealers don't have enough inventory then they can't sell them.

The Camry suffered the same thing when it debuted as we worked about 6 weeks in full overtime because dealers didn't have enough Camry inventory.

CivicSi99
Profile for CivicSi99
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 07:34
HDNBenjamin wrote:
A buddy of mine recently bought a 2018 Camry. Prior to that decision, I convinced him to drive the 2018 Accord, and the Accord delivered. To him, the Accord was the better car. It had more features and drives sportier, but ultimately it came down to price. He saved a few Gs going with the Camry. Folks shopping in this segment is more value oriented than of luxury buyers. I love the new Accord! :)

Did he buy the SE or LE trim? The loaded Camry has a pano roof, 360 camera and a real audio system which I really like while the Accord has the mem seats and Carplay. The Accord gives a much better value than anything in this class at the lower trims. The cloth seats are even really comfortable.

CivicSi99
Profile for CivicSi99
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 07:39
owequitit wrote:
DCR wrote:

Even with that theory add 2.5K (10%) in sales for December and that still seems low..

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: "The all-new 2018 Accord continued to show strength in the incentive-heavy mid-size segment" [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 08:06
JeffX wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
vh2k wrote:
Ralliance01 wrote:

LOL...It was a preemptive strike. They saw what was coming with the Accord.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0