[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX is Top Safety Pick+
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ZDX > > Re: Drove 2 ZDXs

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Drove 2 ZDXs    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2017 22:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
This summer I drove a 2010 Advanced with 113K miles priced around $18,000 and today I drove a 2010 Tech with only 50K miles or so for $21,000.

Comparing the two, I would lean on the 113K mile Advanced. Cheaper, more features like BSM, cooled and heated seats and the adjustable suspension along with the CMBS.

Driving the two, I really liked the Active suspension feature. While adjustment was barely noticeable, it did firm the ride up and keep the car from squatting or diving. The Tech without this feature really did feel like a mild mix of the two dynamic modes.

I drove the Advanced for over an hour on a test drive allowed to me by an independent dealer and fell in love. It was my first time experiencing SH-AWD and driving such a new and high dollar Acura, car, in general. Also what an exotic. Driving the thing really makes you feel like a road king. Visibility really wasn't terrible either as some have said. Check through the rear then check the side mirror looking down the side, easy as that.

SH-AWD.... oh man why didn't Acura stuff it into every model??
On a well known clover on ramp with minimal traffic I set myself up with VSA turned off, transmission in S mode and suspension in Dynamic Sport, and in 2nd gear, the steering wheel cranked slightly to the right. Approached 35MPH with light throttle then buried my foot in the floor. Immediately you feel the power snap to the rear wheels and while you accelerate and tighten the steering without letting off of the throttle, almost instantly the rear starts rotating around your back keeping the bow pointed exactly where the road is while speed increases. There was some harsh hopping due to the road pavement causing my to bounce in the seat as I powered through but it in no way upset the handling or traction. Very minimal tire sequel.

BY time I was out of the clover and steering straight again I was hammering the rev limiter at 60MPH. Really wished this transmission was more responsive. The TL SH-AWD 6 speed or a DCT would have been great.

It was such a rush. To feel the ZDX shift all of the power and weight to the left rear wheel and have my entire body pull against the seat bolstering but being propelled like a rocket into outer space was amazing. It reminded me of my younger days as a kid on my Manco Gokart.

The J37 surprisingly wasn't as dull as I thought it would have been. If anything the transmission and ZDX curb weight hides it's true character. The engine revvs freely through the gears and has an extremely strong 5,000rpm VTEC cross over when that even a small boost of power can be felt as it revs trough the gear quicker to 6,800rpm.

Another thing I find hard to believe is that these cars are now 7 years old!! WHAT!? It feels like just yesterday they were released and quickly killed. On the bright side, and unique and quirky Acura that once retailed at nearly $60K can be had by a 20 year old for around $15K-$23K price mark. Plenty of reliability value and some slight versatility there for the price.

But when it comes down to it, it's very hard to make a choice. I am considering a 2009-2012 TL SH-AWD 6 MT as my next car purchase to myself. I love my TSX to DEATH and will not part with it, and the Vigor is still going to be my weekend car. .... Just the TSX is getting old. I'll buy both SH-AWD 6MT and ZDX if I could in a heart beat. They're the last of the "new" Acuras I would ever consider buying regarding styling and driving dynamics until genX arrives and I evaluate them.

All I can say is I really like the ZDX and after driving 2, I'm sad Acura didn't move more.

sixspeeddriver89
Profile for sixspeeddriver89
Re: Drove 2 ZDXs    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2017 22:53
Just FYI the advanced suspension is the same as on my friends advanced MDX and when those struts go bad... his went at 76k miles... theyre i believe something like 1100 each if im not mistaken... the tech package might be a wiser choice
sdTL
Profile for sdTL
Re: Drove 2 ZDXs    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2017 01:59
I have a 2012 tech version. This car is very underrated and is unquestionably a top used car bargain. Sure the styling is polarizing but it handles more competently than my 04 manual TL, and has the best interior Acura ever made.

I would buy the ZDX with the lesser mileage.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Drove 2 ZDXs    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2017 07:02
Oh dear - yet another SH-AWD convert!

The worse the road conditions, the better my Leg End seems to handle.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Drove 2 ZDXs    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-18-2017 15:23
Nick GravesX wrote:

My mother's Deux Chevaux would climb muddy hills that my uncles' RWD Seats, Peugeots and Renaults had no hope....

You know... The 2CV Sahara was likely the first vehicle with "Super manipulation de la traction intégrale"... even if it lacked ELS and a working HVAC.

Que vive La France! Zut alors!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Drove 2 ZDXs    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-18-2017 15:48
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

My mother's Deux Chevaux would climb muddy hills that my uncles' RWD Seats, Peugeots and Renaults had no hope....

You know... The 2CV Sahara was likely the first vehicle with "Super manipulation de la traction intégrale"... even if it lacked ELS and a working HVAC.

Que vive La France! Zut alors!

https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/collection/cars/item/citroen-2cv-4x4-sahara-1962

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Drove 2 ZDXs    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-19-2017 05:16
Indeed - Citroen being inventive.

They later did a conventional Mehari 4x4, too.

The Jeep that was so light, if you got it stuck you asked your friends to carry it!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Drove 2 ZDXs    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2017 17:01
Nick GravesX wrote:
Indeed - Citroen being inventive.

They later did a conventional Mehari 4x4, too.

The Jeep that was so light, if you got it stuck you asked your friends to carry it!

LOL

Remember how the rear bumper in the mid 60s 2CV had those metal "hoops" extending above the bumper to "protect" the headlights?

Parking in Barcelona always has been problematic.. so when my cousin and I, both under 10, would ride with my mom and she couldn't quite fit into the parking spot... she'd drive in at an angle and my cousin and I would grab one handle each...

.. and we'd bounce the rear of the car in place alongside the curb.

I kid you not.. two 90 lbs kids could bounce the rear of a 2CV a meter sideways!

;-)

Fishbulb
Profile for Fishbulb
Re: Drove 2 ZDXs    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2017 18:34
Hondatalover wrote:
There was some harsh hopping due to the road pavement causing my to bounce in the seat as I powered through but it in no way upset the handling or traction. Very minimal tire sequel.

BY time I was out of the clover and steering straight again I was hammering the rev limiter at 60MPH.

Weren't you the guy all full of moral outrage that a honda dealer wouldn't give you an SI to test drive?

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0