[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
Professional Motorsports --> F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Genesis G70 - Everyday Reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Want to stop faster than a Tesla Model 3? Get an F-150
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 10th Generation Honda Accord Launching This Year with Advanced New Powertrain Lineup > > Re: Project 671

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

honduh
Profile for honduh
Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2017 20:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As we come to a close to another generation of the Accord, I wanted to get some historical perspective of this car model that for me made me a fan of the brand and what got me started with Honda. I dug around and found this link that I wanted to share. It's a great read.

world.honda.com/history/challenge/1976accord/index.html

For those who have some affiliation with Honda it may not be news. To me it was a bit of nostalgia and helps put into perspective perhaps some of the controversial aspects of the upcoming 10G.

Like what has been voiced by many already, I too have mixed feelings about the retirement of the V6. I cannot deny at least in the past, when Honda sets out to make a good 4 cyl engine, it was darn good, and sewing machine smooth. But once you experience a good 6 cyl as the J-series (or larger displacement engine) in the right application, it's hard to give that up.

Then there's the controversy of the upcoming Accord sharing Civic elements/platform. But as detailed in the link above, incidentally that was the humble beginnings of this ground breaking model that many have so much emotional attachment. Granted I'm not yet singing praises about the 10G simply because it's not completely out yet, just stating some historical perspectives. The Accord began as an upscale Civic cousin. And of course, these are different times and the developments back in the day were astounding. Whether there's still that Honda magic...I'll wait and see. I particularly like the story about the remote trunk release...where the luxury cars at the time used expensive electromagnetic mechanisms, they did it with a simple wire system. Same end goal but clever and economical solution. Typical Honda.

I also like this particular quote:

"One thing that we must remember with the Accord," said Kizawa, who oversaw the car's development, "is that when developing a new model the engineers must thoroughly understand the vernacular of the times and the market in which they are selling. It is important that they do not indulge in development for the sake of self-satisfaction.

"Another important aspect is that future model generations must remain first-class. By that, I mean a car that satisfies the expectations of the person who purchases it. I don't think any car that fails to satisfy those expectations will ever sell successfully. In that sense, the Accord must remain a car that satisfies those expectations to the greatest possible degree."

And so it began.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-13-2017 22:46
Aaah, nostalgia.

The day I had taken my CVCC to the dealer for maintenance and they brought the first Accord Hatchback off the truck.

EVERYBODY dropped whatever they were doing, mechanics, customers, sales people, back office, EVERYBODY and we all stood around checking that thing out.

It was like a fine little watch. The details were simply astounding.

My Civic was plain, even after the gold shag carpeting I had installed, Pioneer cassette, mag lites, raised white letter radials, etc....

That Accord was astounding.

Honda hit the bullseye with that little hatch!

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 07:41
Mine was that fabulous soft, sparkly Blue. They never used that shade again me thinks, but it still remains my favourite car colour.
honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 08:14
I never knew they had modeled the styling of that hatch after a Lotus. Maybe it's time to introduce the Accord Gran Coupe.
rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 08:29
Ignoring the AMC pacer like appearence of the drawing, its worth remembering that the original was 10 inches smaller than today's Civic

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1976/39950/honda_accord_1600_coupe.html

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 09:39
honduh wrote:
As we come to a close to another generation of the Accord, I wanted to get some historical perspective of this car model that for me made me a fan of the brand and what got me started with Honda. I dug around and found this link that I wanted to share. It's a great read.

world.honda.com/history/challenge/1976accord/index.html

For those who have some affiliation with Honda it may not be news. To me it was a bit of nostalgia and helps put into perspective perhaps some of the controversial aspects of the upcoming 10G.

Like what has been voiced by many already, I too have mixed feelings about the retirement of the V6. I cannot deny at least in the past, when Honda sets out to make a good 4 cyl engine, it was darn good, and sewing machine smooth. But once you experience a good 6 cyl as the J-series (or larger displacement engine) in the right application, it's hard to give that up.

Then there's the controversy of the upcoming Accord sharing Civic elements/platform. But as detailed in the link above, incidentally that was the humble beginnings of this ground breaking model that many have so much emotional attachment. Granted I'm not yet singing praises about the 10G simply because it's not completely out yet, just stating some historical perspectives. The Accord began as an upscale Civic cousin. And of course, these are different times and the developments back in the day were astounding. Whether there's still that Honda magic...I'll wait and see. I particularly like the story about the remote trunk release...where the luxury cars at the time used expensive electromagnetic mechanisms, they did it with a simple wire system. Same end goal but clever and economical solution. Typical Honda.

I also like this particular quote:

"One thing that we must remember with the Accord," said Kizawa, who oversaw the car's development, "is that when developing a new model the engineers must thoroughly understand the vernacular of the times and the market in which they are selling. It is important that they do not indulge in development for the sake of self-satisfaction.

"Another important aspect is that future model generations must remain first-class. By that, I mean a car that satisfies the expectations of the person who purchases it. I don't think any car that fails to satisfy those expectations will ever sell successfully. In that sense, the Accord must remain a car that satisfies those expectations to the greatest possible degree."

And so it began.

A great post, honduh. Thank you. It reminds me of the "Mr. Honda and the coin box lid" story.

TI-99/4a
Profile for TI-99/4a
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 11:12
LOVE the Gen 1 and Gen 2 3 door hatchback. The interior of the Gen 2 was so far ahead of its time. Great car. Thanks for the history article - I love stuff like this.

Being an engineer, it's always fun to peek inside these product development stories.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 12:53
honduh wrote:
I never knew they had modeled the styling of that hatch after a Lotus. Maybe it's time to introduce the Accord Gran Coupe.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing the connection with the Elite. The 1G Accord hatch being similar to the Alfasud, maybe. Not even close to an Elite.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 19:28
CB77 wrote:
A great post, honduh. Thank you. It reminds me of the "Mr. Honda and the coin box lid" story.

Thanks! As I was writing the post, I was thinking this is a "CB77"-like article.

I also enjoyed the part about the power steering. When Honda-san commented on the heavy steering, it was rectified in spite of the challenges and how it was uncommon for compact cars of that time.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 19:31
Grace141 wrote:
honduh wrote:

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing the connection with the Elite. The 1G Accord hatch being similar to the Alfasud, maybe. Not even close to an Elite.

Lotus Elite Type 75

rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 20:13
Grace141 wrote:
honduh wrote:

Agree: Alfasud makes a better choice. Especailly in 2dr

http://www.simoncars.co.uk/alfa/alfasud.html

PoweredbyHondaX
Profile for PoweredbyHondaX
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 20:39
dammm

all it needs is the SIDE MIRRORS on the front of the hood and it will look sick.

i dunno why they moved them to the doors. you get a much better angle from the hood mirror.

Price
Profile for Price
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2017 22:07
honduh wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
honduh wrote:

Lotus Elite Type 75

My dad had one of those. Awesome from the front. But the back . . . Wow. Rear bucket seats were the best I've ever sat in.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-15-2017 10:44
^ Accord Aerodeck - at a push...
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-15-2017 12:13

Separated at birth...

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Project 671 [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-15-2017 13:10
CB77 wrote:

Separated at birth...

So the 1G Accord project team had the AMC Gremlin in mind...

AMC's were actually really good cars for their time. Just strangely styled in the 1970s. A friend in school drove a Gremlin X with the go-faster stripes. And the parents of another friend had a matched sedan and wagon set of Pacers. I'd say the ride quality for all of them was similar to our MDX which was solid and stable if un-sporty-like.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0