[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
RDX --> Re: RDX anecdote
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: And you thought you were the intended beneficiary of the proposed lower gas mileage rules...
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Resurfaced brakes at 12.5K miles!
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: And a Merry CL77 Christmas to all...
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Suspension grinding/scraping
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: Ignition Systems
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Knocking sound from the back at idle
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TheStraightPipes youtube car channel reviews
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RL / Legend > > Re: Buying an RL

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
mad_ox1
Profile for mad_ox1
Buying an RL    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-16-2016 21:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Looking at an '08, initial test drive went fairly well, following up tomorrow.

Any extra maintenance for the SH-AWD systems?

Any common problem areas?

I would expect that it would be about as well put together as a car could be in 2008, but looking for anyone's direct knowledge.

What are people seeing for gas mileage?

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Buying an RL    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2016 01:47
My 2006 Legend had electric window switch issues (front passenger and driver side rear. Never got it looked at by the dealer, as a simple reboot (found on Acurazine) would fix it. CD player gave up in 2011. Had an issue with it dropping out of cruise control on bumpy roads, turned out it was the brake pedal switch needing adjusting. Other than that just regular servicing, and that with it being caned nearly every time I drove it! Really thought I might have drive train issues, but they never surfaced for me.

Moved it on in 2013 (along with an ex partner). But by then it was starting to need ever more attention (yes both).

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Buying an RL    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2016 06:50
There are many issues on old cars. Fortunately, the Legend has very few.

Engine mountings and propshaft bearings can fail.

Electrical gremlins are usually weak batteries, though the car still starts.

People put the wrong fluids in the wrong holes which can lead to problems (Honda UK don't know Jack Shit about fuck all and don't sell Acura DPSF...)

RLs only seem to suffer from the usual US cheapskate retard unmaintenance - can I ignore changing the cambelt, etc..?

Plenty of advice on Acurazine.

They're a brilliant car in a plain package and probably far more dependable than German rubbish of the same age.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Buying an RL    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2016 10:34
My dad has had one for quite a few years now, with very few issues at all. (I know because they all get routed through me.) Has had issues with batteries though - on his third one at least. He has been seeing 21mpg consistently, I believe. Just a 5AT, and no VCM on these.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Buying an RL    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2016 10:54
Battery-induced insanity is common to a lot of FRED-laden modern cars.

Get a good trickle-charger if it's not regularly driven.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Buying an RL    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2016 11:12
The SH-AWD diff fluid replacement interval for our RDX was about 30k miles after the first change at 15k. I've read the recommended interval for the early RL SH-AWD was 60k miles but I'd suggest following the 30k mile interval for both the diff itself and the clutch pack unit.

Also, as Nick was getting at, if you change the rear diff fluid yourself I recommend buying it from your Acura dealership parts counter. Honda changed their ATF at one point and the current version isn't correct for the SH-AWD diff.

As a side topic, I think it's interesting that Honda merged their AWD system fluids for all of the SH-AWD versions and the electro-RT-AWD system in the 2G RDX to use the same Acura DPSF. The early SH-AWD versions called for the old Honda ATF whereas the older CRV RT-AWD used Dual Pump Fluid and then DPF2. I assume the VTM systems must still use the VTM-4 fluid.

I still think Honda bought some Area 51-derived synthetic fluid tech or something because Dual Pump 2 flows like water even at near 0F temps. Amazing stuff. One of the refineries I worked at 15 years ago had an off-limits, security clearance area. I figure some the tech being cooked up there should now be obsolete so we'll be seeing it soon at the civilian level. Sub 0w weight Mobil 1 maybe?

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: Buying an RL    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2017 14:33
My 2008 RL Tech with 107k miles still drives like a champ. Replaced front and side engine mounts, timing belt, water pump, etc. at 90k. It has been very reliable.

oil and filter change every 7k, differiential fluids change, transmission and transfer case fluids change every 15-30k.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: Buying an RL    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2017 14:37
I am averaging 19-21 mpg combined city and hwy driving. That's the only knock i have against the car, but overall, it is a good car.
sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: Buying an RL    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-23-2017 07:21
I have owned three over the years, albeit for short periods. Never put a spanner on any of them. Really great cars wrapped in dull clothes. Love hammering it in conditions where BMW and Mercs slip and slide where I am enjoying all that SH-AWD brings.
One thing I have noticed is that the 08 face lift cars have a crappier ride on their lower profile tyres ( ? ). Myabe just me but they tried as with the previous generation to make it 'sportier' and made what was a comfortable car neither one nor the other.
WE have sold loads, relatively, of secondhand Legends from 06-09 and have yet to have a fault under warranty on any

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0