[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: The glory days
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Toronto Motorsports Park - 10th Gen Civic Si Track day
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda/Acura Gossip
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Colton Herta Becomes Youngest Indycar Winner Ever
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Lamborghini Urus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Acura shake-up caused by logistics
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: JDM Odyssey Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Sonata
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Shy away from 05-10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Re: BEWARE OF HILLSIDE HONDA
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: Dash Video 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2015 16:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I've had a 2016 ILX A-Spec for the past week and only today have I managed to get out and get some testing done.

I would have done it earlier but it was delivered to me with something like 31 miles on the odometer and I wanted to break it in a bit before putting it through the stress of acceleration testing.

This week was crazy busy for me so I really didn't get to drive it as much as I normally do, nor as much as I'd like to.

Anyhow, as my first impressions indicated, even though it's considerably lighter than the 8DCT 2.4 TLX it's not really any quicker, thanks in large part to the taller gearing.

My very first pass turned out to be the best, and the numbers were actually pretty impressive, but I was unable to back them up on any subsequent tries. Looking back, on that launch I had the most wheelspin, so I think that's the key to getting good times out of it. On that single GOLDEN run, I recorded a 0-60 of 6.5 seconds, 1/4 mile of 15.4@93.4 mph. 60' time was 2.5seconds, so not a fantastic launch but I guess the wheelspin let it get up through the "boggy" part of 1st gear into the more meaty part of the torque band.

All of the other runs were in the 7.0 range for the 0-60. The worst was 7.4 seconds, but I only clocked that once. I had several at 7.0 and a few more at 7.2. All runs were performed in Sport mode with VSA disabled. Certainly with a shorter first gear or a more aggressive launch this car will deliver better numbers. The temps were cooler when I tested the TLX so that gave the TLX a bit of an advantage in terms of power, and if it were cooler out the ILX would likely spin the tires a bit more easily and that would help it. It won't surprise me if the non A-spec trim with the 17" wheels records better 0-60 times.

The ILX is plenty quick but for $35k, I think to be a serious contender in its class the 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers should be at least a second better, so the performance hurts the value proposition of the ILX a bit. It should feel more energetic than the TLX but it just doesn't quite pull it off.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2015 18:56
Thanks Jeff!

What tires does the A-spec model come with?

I thought that sort of performance is reasonable. Was hoping for a bit better but I guess the gearing is an issue. I don't know why with 8 gears, Honda still had to mess this up...lol...

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2015 19:02
I thought the 1st gear should have been shorter as well.
outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2015 19:48
thanks for the quick review, I also suspect the integrated exhaust manifold with close coupled cat designs tends to increase underhood temps more rapidly which then degrades performance numbers.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2015 22:00
Hondarulez wrote:
Thanks Jeff!

What tires does the A-spec model come with?

I thought that sort of performance is reasonable. Was hoping for a bit better but I guess the gearing is an issue. I don't know why with 8 gears, Honda still had to mess this up...lol...

It has Continental ContiProContact P225/40-R18.

The tires are pretty good - it started raining today for the first time all week and the wheelspin from a launch on wet roads is roughly the same as on dry. Even with VSA disabled...

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2015 23:01
I wonder how much loss that torque converter contributes. It was a question that Hargett stumbled on pretty badly. Most likely he just didn't know, but maybe he knew and didn't want to disclose that information.
RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-25-2015 23:30
I would have expected it to average noticeably quicker times than the TLX given the weight difference. I wonder if there are gearing differences as well.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 00:35
RMTRADER wrote:
I would have expected it to average noticeably quicker times than the TLX given the weight difference. I wonder if there are gearing differences as well.

Yes there are considerable gearing differences. Which is why I referenced the gearing differences in the post at the top of the thread. The ILX has taller gearing than the TLX.

Also, perhaps Acura tuned the ILX's torque converter a bit more conservatively than the TLX's as well. Or this one was just a bit tighter due to only having 215 miles on it.

JP
Profile for JP
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 00:40
According to acura.com, final drive ratio for TLX 8DCT is 4.57, and ILX 3.94.

All of the 8 gears have the same ratio.

They should do the ILX to 5 in the final drive ratio, 3 complete gears for 62mph would not be bad.

http://www.acura.com/DriveTrain.aspx?model=TLX&modelYear=2015
http://www.acura.com/DriveTrain.aspx?model=ILX&modelYear=2016

meyerk9
Profile for meyerk9
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 09:41
qingcong wrote:
I wonder how much loss that torque converter contributes. It was a question that Hargett stumbled on pretty badly. Most likely he just didn't know, but maybe he knew and didn't want to disclose that information.

Considering it's locked up after 1st gear and only unlocks during shifts, I can't imagine it contributes anywhere near the loss of that on a normal automatic.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 10:37
meyerk9 wrote:
qingcong wrote:

Considering it's locked up after 1st gear and only unlocks during shifts, I can't imagine it contributes anywhere near the loss of that on a normal automatic.

actually the torque converter should make for stronger launches thanks to its inherent torque multiplication effects, but it depends upon how they tune the stall speed. The biggest issue I see with the 0-60 times is the ILX's taller final drive and relatively soft launch.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 14:48
215 miles only?? hahaha no wonder! and 3.92 vs 4.57 final gear ratio...that's quite a difference too...............
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 14:59
I think this drivetrain combo is excellent for a base ILX. However, I'd really like to see Acura give the ILX a drivetrain spread similar to the Audi A3.

ILX FWD 201hp 2.4/8DCT - A3 FWD 1.8t
ILX AWD 240hp 2.0t/9AT - A3 Quattro 2.0t
ILX AWD 305hp 2.0t/9AT - S3 Quattro 2.0t

*The 9AT's programming would have to be seriously upgraded.

Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 16:31
Thank goodness that the 2.0T was developed with MT.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 18:50
Hondarulez wrote:
215 miles only?? hahaha no wonder!

It isn't going to get measurably faster.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Dash Video Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 19:17
Here's a video of the gauges during an acceleration run. This wasn't on one of the timed runs, thus it isn't dead level ground (in fact it may be slightly uphill) but it's close enough for the purposes of seeing how the car launches and shifts during an acceleration run.

s2ktaxi
Profile for s2ktaxi
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 20:48
meyerk9 wrote:

When I test drove it, I noticed, the torque converter does not fully lock under cruising conditions, there was still some rpm float on mild throttle lift and input. It does lock on full acceleration after the first few mph though. I would consider the car to replace my wife's Civic EX but not my '09 Si.

iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: Dash Video 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 21:04
Thanks for the video Jeff. It sounds pretty good.

Here's a video of the A3 1.8T accelerating by comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Ys70vWVFs

I think the ILX sounds better but that's just my opinion.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2015 22:50
s2ktaxi wrote:
meyerk9 wrote:

When I test drove it, I noticed, the torque converter does not fully lock under cruising conditions, there was still some rpm float on mild throttle lift and input. It does lock on full acceleration after the first few mph though. I would consider the car to replace my wife's Civic EX but not my '09 Si.

My TSX does that :) I like it. I love the TSX's 5AT... A bit wide though..

JP
Profile for JP
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2015 01:41
JP wrote:
According to acura.com, final drive ratio for TLX 8DCT is 4.57, and ILX 3.94.

All of the 8 gears have the same ratio.

They should do the ILX to 5 in the final drive ratio, 3 complete gears for 62mph would not be bad.

http://www.acura.com/DriveTrain.aspx?model=TLX&modelYear=2015
http://www.acura.com/DriveTrain.aspx?model=ILX&modelYear=2016

In fact, setting final drive ratio to 5 would give numbers:

225/40 R18 - 828 RevPerMile (specs from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiProContact)

Gear Ratios Mph
1st 3.08 32.93807642
2nd 2.18 46.53636485
3rd 1.61 63.01197227
4th 1.22 83.15514374
5th 0.96 105.6763285
6th 0.74 137.0936154
7th 0.62 163.6278635
8th 0.48 211.352657

Reverse 2.22
Final Drive 5

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Dash Video 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2015 14:19
JeffX wrote:
Here's a video of the gauges during an acceleration run. This wasn't on one of the timed runs, thus it isn't dead level ground (in fact it may be slightly uphill) but it's close enough for the purposes of seeing how the car launches and shifts during an acceleration run.

They definitely did a good job of tuning the sound. It sounds good. You can tell it dies off a little at the top, but overall, it seems like it pulls pretty well in the top end.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2015 14:44
DCR wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
215 miles only?? hahaha no wonder!

It isn't going to get measurably faster.

Hence I also mentioned the gearing difference :)

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Dash Video 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2015 14:50
The gearing........lol...1st gear takes the car to 40mph, and 2nd gear is almost at 60mph......
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Dash Video 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2015 15:23
owequitit wrote:
JeffX wrote:

They definitely did a good job of tuning the sound. It sounds good. You can tell it dies off a little at the top, but overall, it seems like it pulls pretty well in the top end.

#AllergicTo7000rpm

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Dash Video 2016 ILX A-Spec 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2015 17:43
JeffX wrote:
owequitit wrote:
JeffX wrote:

#AllergicTo7000rpm

I wasn't going to say it. But then again, that isn't an automatic Honda complaint exclusive to this car either. Honda has long programmed their auto cars to shift well before redline (when stock my 1990 Accord would shift around 5800-5900 even though redline was 6250.

Even the J30 7th gen Accords we had would shift at 6000 or so, even though they had an extra 500RPM they wanted. It is probably one of the reasons they didn't put the dual stage IM on those engines.

Even the 2013 shifts just shy of redline.

One of the infuriating reasons I prefer MT Honda products. They build revvy engines and then don't let them rev.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0