[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: The glory days
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Toronto Motorsports Park - 10th Gen Civic Si Track day
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda/Acura Gossip
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Colton Herta Becomes Youngest Indycar Winner Ever
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Lamborghini Urus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Acura shake-up caused by logistics
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: JDM Odyssey Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Sonata
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Shy away from 05-10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Re: BEWARE OF HILLSIDE HONDA
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: Some time with a 2016

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 17:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So with my last day of spring break and only day off, I decided to 'treat myself' to some car 'shopping' -outside of the photoshop world- and drove to my local dealer, Performance Acura, just 30 minutes away in Chapel Hill, so excuse the armature review and few pictures (Most of the time was spent on the road).

My salesman was extremely friendly and approached me with hand held out and a warm, open face. I didn't expect that at all, being that I had been to my Honda dealer and people just give me "Get the hell out of here kid" stares making me feel urged off the lot... nope, not here, I was greeted with a sense that they knew who I was and were expecting me! Never have I been greeting anywhere like that.

Anywho, I tell the guy I'm here to check out the '16 ILX and knowingly (just checked online) asked for the Aspec in CBP. We walk back to it and start checking it out, he gets to know me a little and my background here on TOV and my works, he realizes just how much I know when I asked about the transmission recalls and issues and went from full salesman to best friend. The awkward tension between a customer and salesman was dropped and he offers me a test drive. I'm only 18, so I questioned him on that and he said I was good as long as I had a license. HA! Well he may have been just a little excited because I actually wasn't allowed to drive it, as I had thought.

ON TO THE DRI- errr, THE RIDE!

Start up:
So first thing I noticed was the engine start up. Ooooo it made my TSX sound so much like a pedestrian Accord LX. How was all that great sound coming from a car without an exhaust? (lol) It had a very deep tone that rumbled and hummed without droning into the cabin.

Interior:
The cabin quality was a tad better than my TSX, though my TSX armrest padding areas are a but worn and broken in vs the ILX's fresh, plush pads. The vinyl seats and faux sued insert was a nice touch, sat well and added to the sporty black headliner and contrast stitching (though harder for me to notice, it was subtle and only noticeable when looked at). The gauge and dual screen set up with red illumination was different. I think I'd prefer white and blue, though maybe the red was just so different to me I needed to get used to it. Sitting in the car made me feel very small. The low greenhouse and slanted windshield was very unusual but sporty and I liked it, but feel better positioned in my TSX. The dash and doors were soft touch with adequate padding as well.

Exterior:
Not once did I look for the "clothes iron" bumper protrusions or the lack of exhaust. Not purposely avoiding those areas, but just glancing and looking aimlessly around the car I thought it was attractive, and the 18" Aspec wheels were a great touch and I feel like the side skirt was also a good touch. My car didn't have the Aspec front and rear lip, which is probably for the better, as they just stick out further and emphasize the messy bumper designs. I can't knock the paint since the car was covered in pollen, but I will say overall black or white (maybe gray) is the color for this car. The base wheels are horrid and and break the deal on purchasing. I immediately walked away form the non Aspec ILX's because those white, choppy 17" wheels with huge wheel gap turned me off so bad. The Jewel eye Headlights and LED taillights were extremely premium and while I didn't get my face in either, standing about 2-3 feet in front of the headlights I was able to see what looked like a halogen projector housing behind the high beams. It looked completely different form the other LED units. The SUV-X grill is a good choice.

The car overall looks wide and low compared to the 2015 but from the rear it still looks tall and skinny, even with the side hunches. The Aspex models help fix that with the wider wheels.

Performance:
Due to new car syndrome, I'm sure the engine and trans aren't just broken in enough yet. The first thing my driver done when pulling out of the lot was put it in 'S' mode and hammer it (with warning and my "ok") we jetted off. Redline first? Yes. Redline 2nd? yes. We hit 70mph quicker than I expected, maybe about 8.5 seconds... but what made it feel slow was 1st gear. ***SO LONG for a 8 speed transmission. Why stretch to 42MPH when you have 8 speeds? But again the engine note was nice and growly. It didn't seem to have a peaky, metallic sounding like rev like my TSX does after the 5,500rpm mark, it stayed very 'humming' like. Not buzzy at all, just HMMMMM. (lol). I'm sure ANC and other sound deadening measures were the cause of that... plus the newer K24W's aren't as Honda as my K24A is.

Because I wasn't the driver, I didn't get to feel the steering or pedal feed back but was assured it was a tad softer than my TSX. My driver, more than willingly, pushed the car through some bends for me to show the handling characteristics. Between 45-65MPH, there was no body lean, no scattering for traction, no jerks, no rear end hop, no bouncing back and forth... it was all very smooth and flat on those Chapel Hill roads which are rather rough. Downshifts were quick and snappy too. As soon as the paddles were pressed the gear switched, and the rev match was pretty good too.

Highway performance was good too, very little wind noise (we had the radio turned down) and plenty of power. But the best thing? Those ow rpms at 70MPH.

Sensible driving:
One thing I noticed while we were crawling out of the parking lot and through city stop lights was how smooth and absent the DCT was. It kept engine rpms low by staying in higher gears and getting into them quickly. Easing up to a stop there was no jerks. Easing away there was no jerks. And as speed increased gently I kept my eye on the tach. We were in 2nd gear by 15mph, 4th by about 30 and so on. It shifted so smoothly, quickly and eagerly. It didn't stay in one gear for more than a second it seems like.

I'm sure I missed some important pieces with my amateur review, but there it was!

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 17:59

Maximania
Profile for Maximania
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 18:13
Very nice. Your next car perhaps?
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 18:38
Maximania wrote:

Possibly. I love my moms TSX. Not trading it in. She better not either. lol

I still want a Del Sol to play with and a Vigor to restore...

I can almost afford to lease the '16 A spec Tech Plus... so it's very tempting.

They've offered me a job twice (today and last time I was there) but I'm still in school so I had to decline but they said for me to come back when I done (about a month or so left). :D

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 19:06
Recently checked out the ILX and TLX back-to-back and came away turned off the ILX. I simply don't like the interior design from the centre stack over to the passenger door. Cheap-looking, cluttered, no real coherence. To my eyes a low-rent-mess sort of vibe. Then again, I'm not part of the demographic the ILX is aimed at. Well past 30. My mid 20s are a distant memory.

The TLX is considerably more appealing to me in terms of interior design. Not sure if it's old age creeping in, though. The A3 and the Mazda3 both feature interiors I find considerably more appealing than the ILX's. That should count for something, shouldn't it? Let me say it's not so much about material quality which I'm sure is fine. It's dislike of the overall design. Regarding materials used, I have never had an urge to run my hands along the top of the dash to determine if it's soft-touch material. Not part of my routine on test drives on account of I don't handle the dash when I'm driving or otherwise. The steering wheel, the shifter, assorted controls, absolutely. The dash? Not so much.

Performance is fine with good power. NVH nothing special but not a problem. But that interior . . .

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 19:38
Hondatalover wrote:
Maximania wrote:

They've offered me a job twice (today and last time I was there) but I'm still in school so I had to decline but they said for me to come back when I done (about a month or so left). :D

Take them up on that offer! You'd be super at anything you might do there!

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 19:53
NealX wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:
Maximania wrote:

Thanks Neal. I plan on making the jump from Columbia Sports Wear after school ends. I'll have to do some more talking with them first.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 20:20
That is a great dealership. I have bought a few cars from there and have never had a bad experience. Haven't been back on the lot since we bought our 2008 TL though as Acura has not given us a reason. The staff turnover there is low which is a good thing for the customer.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 20:59
99SI wrote:
That is a great dealership. I have bought a few cars from there and have never had a bad experience. Haven't been back on the lot since we bought our 2008 TL though as Acura has not given us a reason. The staff turnover there is low which is a good thing for the customer.

Hey! Nice to know we have the same dealer. It's not the prettiest but you're right, I see most of the staff there each time I go and recognize a few from last time. I love it.

Torino R72P
Profile for Torino R72P
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 23:00
Wow, you must feel pretty honoured to be offered a job there, good for you! They obviously have you figured out, which is great (how often do workplaces ask to hire someone if it's not a management position?).

Nice overview of the car, it seems like the refresh was very successful. The new ILX is probably as close as Acura's got to the original TSX (albeit with the 5A), so a direct comparison is very interesting to read.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-06-2015 23:06
I'm just a very giddy guy when around Acuras/ Hondas. Then you offer to pay me to sale and spend everyday work with them or tell me how good I'd be on the sales floor? :D
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-07-2015 06:47
Hondatalover wrote:
NealX wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:
Maximania wrote:

Thanks Neal. I plan on making the jump from Columbia Sports Wear after school ends. I'll have to do some more talking with them first.

I firmly believe that a real job in something you're passionate about is better than any esoteric formal education to get a tick-box degree and end up flipping burgers whilst deep in student debt.

Good luck with them.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2015 16:48
CarmB wrote:
Recently checked out the ILX and TLX back-to-back and came away turned off the ILX. I simply don't like the interior design from the centre stack over to the passenger door. Cheap-looking, cluttered, no real coherence. To my eyes a low-rent-mess sort of vibe. Then again, I'm not part of the demographic the ILX is aimed at. Well past 30. My mid 20s are a distant memory.

The TLX is considerably more appealing to me in terms of interior design. Not sure if it's old age creeping in, though. The A3 and the Mazda3 both feature interiors I find considerably more appealing than the ILX's. That should count for something, shouldn't it? Let me say it's not so much about material quality which I'm sure is fine. It's dislike of the overall design. Regarding materials used, I have never had an urge to run my hands along the top of the dash to determine if it's soft-touch material. Not part of my routine on test drives on account of I don't handle the dash when I'm driving or otherwise. The steering wheel, the shifter, assorted controls, absolutely. The dash? Not so much.

Performance is fine with good power. NVH nothing special but not a problem. But that interior . . .

I confess I haven't spent time with the new ILX yet but just from the pics there's [still] something cheap-ish about that interior. Maybe it's all the textures or the flat area around the screen? I just can't put my finger on it without sitting in it. They have the right idea though, just seems like a case of right church, wrong pew.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2015 17:19
The plastic around the screen is pretty plain but you can't do much with that empty space without over cluttering it. The dash has a Styrofoam like design in it, that's not my favorite coming from my TSX's dash.

Maybe a slightly brushed aluminum finish look to the plastic would do.

But overall quietness and material quality wasn't horrible for 27,980... but for 35K I can see why some would want a better interior. Not that i was bad, but you would want some better looking textures for 35K is all I'm saying.

Everything was snug however the dash seemed to end a tad short on both sides near the A pillar. Seemed to be some type of valley.

The dash didn't portray much of the "sad face syndrome" we see in the pictures of both the ILX and RLX in person however.. I'm sure with time I would notice it. I do think it's a bit too concave. My TSX dash is pretty darn straight in comparison. Though that concaveness gives a few more inches of knee room for tall people..

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2015 17:30
I had my TL in for service today and they had a A-Spec 2016 ILX parked next to a 4cyl TLX Tech. The MSRP's were almost identical.

I laughed and walked away. For the same price a TLX would be a no-brainer.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2015 17:32
More brushed than this. I didn't notice any brushing when in the car. Howevere with this lighting in the PR photo I can see it. Also, that Styrofoam dash texture... lol

I kinda like the 90's Honda dash textures a tad more.

This slot (that I talked about above) must be good to stuff some bills into sight that you need to remember to run by the post office on your way home form work...

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2015 17:40
^That gap is to allow for expansion of the dash over-cover in hotter temps - or else you'd get some contact with the A-pillar and potentially some squeaks and rattles.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2015 18:51
They couldn't have had some type of black foam/ rubber in there to make it less noticeably deep while still being able to 'squish'/ expand and flex?

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2015 19:44
It's the design I have a problem with, not the materials. The shapes, the way the various elements combine just doesn't suggest quality. There is a crude, unfinished quality and a cluttered feel from the centre stack across to the passenger door. Even though there are a few shared interior design elements between the ILX and TLX, the TLX is pleasing, coherent with surfaces that have a fully realized feel. The ILX comes across as slapped together with development that seems to have been cut short. Take the centre console, as an example. It doesn't flow as if one integrated piece up to blend in with the centre stack. It's tacked on, for lack of a better way to put it.

I can imagine that spending time in Napa Valley putting this car through its paces, the car would impress. Good power, a reasonably capable chassis and an impressive, quick, transmission, albeit not a MT. Yet this car will not be looked at in that manner by many shoppers, I suspect. Performance will be less of a factor than how the car looks and feels once you're inside.

I don't say this because I take a perverse pleasure in finding fault with the ILX. I wanted very much to like this car. For the longest time I defended Acura's work with this model, wondering why it got no respect. But now that I'm taking a more thorough look around, what strikes me is just how poorly done the interior is relative to the rest of the market.

At this point, only a full redesign of the interior can make it right, in my opinion. I don't think it's a minor issue, either. There is an aesthetic aspect to interior design that heavily influences how one perceives an automobile. I was disappointed - not that surprised - when Consumer Reports recently released a quick review of the revised ILX slamming it for not coming across as premium. Then I took one out for a test drive and almost immediately understood exactly why CR staff has reacted as it has. That interior is simply not right for this car and it ruins the attempt to present the ILX as a premium product.

My prediction is that sales will not improve significantly with the MMC. Having the top trim cost the same as the base TLX only serves to convince more shoppers to compare the two models, especially since even the base TLX comes well equipped. When you do that, it casts the ILX in a negative light because of the much poorer interior and, for some, inferior NVH. Sure the ILX is quicker but not that much quicker, not driven the way these cars are likely to be driven when most shoppers check them out. And there are just so many capable models by other automakers that are far better done in terms of interior design that can offer a lot of what the ILX does, if not more.

I wonder if, should sales continue to be poor, Acura will move more quickly in developing a fully redesigned ILX.

Then again, maybe younger buyers, the ones Acura claims the ILX is targeted at, are not interested in interior design like someone older like me. Or their tastes don't jive with mine. Can't say. What I know is, the interior doesn't work for me and I suspect others will feel the same way.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2015 19:56
Hondatalover wrote:
They couldn't have had some type of black foam/ rubber in there to make it less noticeably deep while still being able to 'squish'/ expand and flex?

They used to. It kinda looked like a very porous, black foam, but usually the adhesive failed and it just fell off or rode up with wear and out of position. :-/

Maximania
Profile for Maximania
Re: Some time with a 2016    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-09-2015 00:10
To this day, I still believe that the 7th gen Accords and the Acura TL's/TSX's of the same time that used similar materials and designs are some of the best quality Honda interiors. Look fantastic and timeless, great fit and finish, great quality. Our 2003 (first model year) 7th gen accord holds up so well and looks great from the inside. Can't say the same about our 8th gen Accord. Squeaks and rattles and uninspiring design. 2002-2008 was a good time to buy a Honda/Acura

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0