[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: The glory days
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Toronto Motorsports Park - 10th Gen Civic Si Track day
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda/Acura Gossip
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Colton Herta Becomes Youngest Indycar Winner Ever
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Lamborghini Urus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Acura shake-up caused by logistics
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: JDM Odyssey Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Sonata
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Shy away from 05-10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Re: BEWARE OF HILLSIDE HONDA
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: 2016 ILX Reviewsq

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author
  Post New Thread
CP
Profile for CP
Re: 2016 ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-02-2015 16:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
THX17201 wrote:
CarmB wrote:
The Mazda 6 represents a step up to a higher grade of car compared to something like the ILX. The price reflects that.

Umm no. There is something really wrong with you...

An Acura anything is SUPPOSED TO BE A STEPUP compared to a Mazda anything.

The Mazda6 is a larger car. than the ILX. Comparing prices is apples-to-oranges.

Even though the ILX is smaller, it should still be a step-up to what Mazda is doing! If not, Acura is really screwed...

As someone who directly shopped the 2014 ILX with the 2014 Mazda3 GTs, I can say that, in my opinion, the Mazda3 is a superior product to the ILX.

This is coming from a Honda/Acura homer. I wanted to like the ILX, and it was okay, but the 3 was just better. The engine/transmission was better, more powerful (I have the 2.5) and more efficient all on regular unleaded. The interior design is more attractive and the materials on par or better than the ILX (this is subjective, but many consumers and publications agree). The price was actually a toss-up given the enormous amounts of cash laying on the hood of every ILX at that point, leaving each vehicle around $25,500 for the actual price.

I don't think Mazda is superior to Acura as a rule, but when it comes to those particular compact sedans, I think Mazda won that round. Clearly, Acura's compact sedan ought to be superior, and I bet on their second try for the ILX, it will be. The new powertrain in the ILX is a good start, and a more refined and somehow more spacious feeling interior will put it over the top. My hair constantly touched the roof of the ILX with the seat at it's lowest setting, and I am 6'1 - tall, but not that tall.

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: 2016 ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-02-2015 19:13
CP wrote:
THX17201 wrote:
CarmB wrote:
The Mazda 6 represents a step up to a higher grade of car compared to something like the ILX. The price reflects that.

Umm no. There is something really wrong with you...

An Acura anything is SUPPOSED TO BE A STEPUP compared to a Mazda anything.

The Mazda6 is a larger car. than the ILX. Comparing prices is apples-to-oranges.

Even though the ILX is smaller, it should still be a step-up to what Mazda is doing! If not, Acura is really screwed...

As someone who directly shopped the 2014 ILX with the 2014 Mazda3 GTs, I can say that, in my opinion, the Mazda3 is a superior product to the ILX.

This is coming from a Honda/Acura homer. I wanted to like the ILX, and it was okay, but the 3 was just better. The engine/transmission was better, more powerful (I have the 2.5) and more efficient all on regular unleaded. The interior design is more attractive and the materials on par or better than the ILX (this is subjective, but many consumers and publications agree). The price was actually a toss-up given the enormous amounts of cash laying on the hood of every ILX at that point, leaving each vehicle around $25,500 for the actual price.

I don't think Mazda is superior to Acura as a rule, but when it comes to those particular compact sedans, I think Mazda won that round. Clearly, Acura's compact sedan ought to be superior, and I bet on their second try for the ILX, it will be. The new powertrain in the ILX is a good start, and a more refined and somehow more spacious feeling interior will put it over the top. My hair constantly touched the roof of the ILX with the seat at it's lowest setting, and I am 6'1 - tall, but not that tall.

I agree with everything you said. Which is big problems for Acura!

benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: 2016 ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 05:24
For 2016 I think this is a different story.

The 2016 ILX accelerates to 60 a full second faster than the 2015 Mazda3 2.5, at least according to Car and Driver. It's also a bit nicer and has more features.

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: 2016 ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 11:20
benbess wrote:
For 2016 I think this is a different story.

The 2016 ILX accelerates to 60 a full second faster than the 2015 Mazda3 2.5, at least according to Car and Driver. It's also a bit nicer and has more features.

The Mazda3 is a Civic competitor, not the ILX.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: 2016 ILX Reviewsq    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 12:07
It's a lot more complicated than 0-60 times. The ILX is likely quicker and certainly quieter than the Mazda 3 but there are packaging issues, at least here in Canada. The base 2016 ILX MSRPs at $29,490. The Mazda 3 GT starts at $25,995 in sedan form and $26,995 as a five-door. The Mazda is available with a MT. The ILX only comes with a DCT that is proving to have issues in colder weather with some owners of the TLX. The GT comes with a top-grade stereo. To get a quality sound system in the ILX requires the Tech package which MSRPs at $33,490.

The ILX does come with remote start and assorted high-tech safety features. You can get remote start in any Mazda 3 for about $500 from the dealer and safety features are available in the top trim with the tech and luxury packages that bring the 3 sedan to around $29,000.

When you consider that the 3 is roughly $4,000 cheaper than the ILX comparably equiped and can be had in GT trim with a MT and a premium stereo, it puts the ILX at a great disadvantage for quite a few consumers.

The ILX is stuck with a transmission that is causing headaches for owners of the TLX and there is no MT option. Meanwhile the top stereo can only be had in the ILX Tech. And it costs quite a lot more than the Mazda 3. That adds up to poor packaging, certainly here in Canada.

benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: 2016 ILX Reviewsq    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 19:34
Well, if you want a manual clearly the Mazda3 is a possible choice. But at that point I'd get an Accord Sport 6MT or an Accord EX 6MT.

If getting a manual, I think the ILX is really a better car than a loaded Mazda3. Getting to 60 a full second faster is a significant difference.

Just my 2 cents.

We can agree to disagree.

benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: 2016 ILX Reviewsq    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 21:05
Correction. Meant to write

If getting an auto, I think the ILX is really a better car than a loaded Mazda3. Getting to 60 a full second faster is a significant difference.

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: 2016 ILX Reviewsq    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 22:06
While the Accord's are a tremendous value, they are spartanly equipped compared to a 3 Grand Touring.

No nicely trimmed leather (seats, steering wheel), lousy stereo, no XM, no sunroof (Sport), no push button start, no bi-xenon HID's, no rain sensing wipers, etc. The 3 has a ton of features you can't get at any price on a manual transmission Accord. It's a matter of priorities and preference, not one being better or worse.

benbess wrote:
Well, if you want a manual clearly the Mazda3 is a possible choice. But at that point I'd get an Accord Sport 6MT or an Accord EX 6MT.

If getting a manual, I think the ILX is really a better car than a loaded Mazda3. Getting to 60 a full second faster is a significant difference.

Just my 2 cents.

We can agree to disagree.

benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: 2016 ILX Reviewsq    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2015 22:28
The Accord EX 6MT does have smart entry/push button start, a moonroof, 6 speaker stereo, etc.

But the Mazda3 certainly has lots of options.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: 2016 ILX Reviewsq    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2015 10:00
It's not as if the Mazda follows the German luxury approach of making a lot of expensive options available. There are only a few packages available, and a handful of add-on options, but there does seem to be a degree of flexibility in Mazda's packaging that reflects the market needs far better than what is being offered by Honda and especially Acura, at least here in Canada.

Honda really doesn't give the consumer a whole lot of choice. It's targeting a specific group of consumers and if you're not part of that target group, you're SOL.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0